DDC XXXIV: The Original Home Of The DISDads!!!

Hey Norm...once I get settled down there, would you like me to take a bunch of selfies and send to you? Maybe that would help the convincing/migration process?

I'm already convinced. I'm not sure your selfies would convince DW. Maybe some Chippendales' selfies might convince her.

It is 30 and snowing here.

You win. Or, maybe you lose.

I'm already convinced. I'm not sure your selfies would convince DW. Maybe some Chippendales' selfies might convince her.
Chippendales selfies of me would not help your case at all!!
You've met me...I shouldn't have to tell you that.

For me, he definitely loses. One of the many reasons I'm excited about the move...no more snow (or if we do get it, it lasts for maybe 3 seconds when it hits the ground). Since I've been umpiring again, the heat doesn't bother me nearly as much as the cold. I spend several games this summer on the field all day in 95+ weather wearing full gear. The September trip was a piece o' cake for me while I saw others look as if they were melting.

Is Anyone going to be at WDW between 10/27 & 10/29:confused3. We are going for a weekend trip:thumbsup2

Almost assuredly. No matter when I've gone down there have been people there. Seems to be a quite popular place. ;)

I will be living down there by then. Might be able to make it. Depends on what I'm doing with my daughter, mom, brother, etc. PM me your number so I can call/text ya.

See here's at least one anyone who might be there.

Also, that's awesome. Hope the move goes well.

Snow already? He loses.

See here's at least one anyone who might be there.
Wow! I'm an anyone now? Woo hoo, I've been promoted!

Also, that's awesome. Hope the move goes well.
It will be a phased approach. Initially taking what will fit in the van. Debating about getting a uhaul trailer, but since I'm just going to have a short term lease, doesn't make any sense to take a lot of stuff with me. After finding a place, then will come back, pack up uhaul and head down. Might be 2-3 smaller moves since we've got a lot of carp and even after the yard sale, not sure I want to do it all in one fell swoop.

Snow already? He loses.
See?

It's a definite loss.

I spend several games this summer on the field all day in 95+ weather wearing full gear. The September trip was a piece o' cake for me while I saw others look as if they were melting.

Huh! Interesting.

Snow already? He loses.

yep

Wow! I'm an anyone now? Woo hoo, I've been promoted!

Don't let it go to your head. ;)

yep

It will be a phased approach. Initially taking what will fit in the van. Debating about getting a uhaul trailer, but since I'm just going to have a short term lease, doesn't make any sense to take a lot of stuff with me. After finding a place, then will come back, pack up uhaul and head down. Might be 2-3 smaller moves since we've got a lot of carp and even after the yard sale, not sure I want to do it all in one fell swoop.

I was pretty jealous, up until you noted the large amount of carp you have that needs to be moved. Those fish smell like sh*t after they've been out of the water too long. And how many do you have that you need 2-3 trips with a uhaul? So many questions....

;)

I've met you and you're right. You're much too tall to get a good selfie with Chip and Dale although when I see them at Disney they look a lot taller than they do on TV. :confused3
1494905353302.gif

Well, if you can think of anything in particular that caught y'all of guard or that I need to be weary of...
that'd be a good thing to know.

Well, we were blessed in that Julie is an only child, so there was no one to fight with...and cursed in that Julie is an only child, so there was no one to help with the work.

I don't remember any surprises--just a lot of time and effort going through all of the possessions, bank accounts, insurance, notifying various organizations of his passing, etc. It just takes time. Our local paper has a search engine by which we can look for unclaimed property in anyone's name--if you have something like that you might want to check and see that there aren't any surprises. The people at the Register of Wills office were really helpful in walking us through everything we needed to do.

Congratulations to Declan! That's awesome!

In the end, we raised $1690 but with 26 families involved that works out to $65 per family, so I am not sure it was really worth the effort. But any bit of money helps to offset the cost of competitions I guess.

That doesn't sound like a bad day's haul to me.

'Morning all...
We started the process of going through MIL's house this weekend.
So... much... junk...

Don't be afraid to rent a dumpster. We tried to be as unsentimental as we could when it came to possessions. There will be a few things to keep, but most of it was already sitting around collecting dust. No need for it to continue to do so in your house. It didn't help that my FIL was kind of a hoarder.

Almost assuredly. No matter when I've gone down there have been people there. Seems to be a quite popular place. ;)

I was pretty jealous, up until you noted the large amount of carp you have that needs to be moved. Those fish smell like sh*t after they've been out of the water too long. And how many do you have that you need 2-3 trips with a uhaul? So many questions....

;)

:rotfl2::rotfl2: Paul's Dad Joke game is strong today.

Well, we were blessed in that Julie is an only child, so there was no one to fight with...and cursed in that Julie is an only child, so there was no one to help with the work.

I don't remember any surprises--just a lot of time and effort going through all of the possessions, bank accounts, insurance, notifying various organizations of his passing, etc. It just takes time. Our local paper has a search engine by which we can look for unclaimed property in anyone's name--if you have something like that you might want to check and see that there aren't any surprises. The people at the Register of Wills office were really helpful in walking us through everything we needed to do.
There's a national one that points to each state's. Since I bounced around a bit in the military, I checked all the states I lived in. No great cache of cash for me. :sad2:
http://www.unclaimedmoney.org/

Don't be afraid to rent a dumpster. We tried to be as unsentimental as we could when it came to possessions. There will be a few things to keep, but most of it was already sitting around collecting dust. No need for it to continue to do so in your house. It didn't help that my FIL was kind of a hoarder.
I thought that was directed to me and while it wasn't, might still be valid. :lmao:
I mean seriously, I'll never eat that much fish and I'm not even a fish fan.

:rotfl2::rotfl2: Paul's Dad Joke game is strong today.
<darth>The force is strong in this one. </darth>

Is Anyone going to be at WDW between 10/27 & 10/29:confused3. We are going for a weekend trip:thumbsup2
Only in my mind..............
Another Monday means I am back here trying to avoid doing work for another little while...

Had a busy weekend. We had a flea market fund raiser for youngest DD's dance studio (to help pay for competition fees and costumes). Spent Friday night unpacking and setting up all the tables full of stuff/junk. Back there 8:30am and stayed until almost 2:00pm - DW and I were the last to leave since it was held in the basement of my parent's church and we had made the venue booking in our name, so wanted to make sure the place was cleaned up after. In the end, we raised $1690 but with 26 families involved that works out to $65 per family, so I am not sure it was really worth the effort. But any bit of money helps to offset the cost of competitions I guess.

Sunday I tried getting out for a walk to take some pictures of the fall colours like @declansdad and @Zmack but it was quite windy and cold (the remnants of hurricane Michael blowing through) so I ended up just walking and not hanging around to take pictures. Too bad because the leaves are really nice right now.
Your a good Dad volunteerin and helping like that. Did plenty of that with club soccer over the years but made sure the fundraising, things like Kroger Cards, dollars went to the appropriate families so if you worked something and another family did not you got all the funds and did not share across the team.
'Morning all...
We started the process of going through MIL's house this weekend.
So... much... junk...

Not being the executor myself though means that I can't (and shouldn't) be in charge of the clean-up effort. Which also means that I'm just gonn'a have to be quiet (spend a lot of time looking the other way) and let the girls work through it. Doubt I'll even go back up there until they can agree on a clear list of what I can actually work on. My Mrs. gets the issues, but both sisters (and very different sisters at that) will have to agree on how everything goes down, so this may take a while.
(and possibly a long while, indeed).
Best to you and the family with all of that. Dealt with it when Mom passed but I am an only child and though there was some stress with it all being out of state and carrying the full load of things, probably easier in the end than dealing with multiples. Hope everything works out well and does not crate any family relationship issues.
Really? Have you seen Doc?
481d18953cae4215813ca0e93c891311.png

I've met you and you're right. You're much too tall to get a good selfie with Chip and Dale although when I see them at Disney they look a lot taller than they do on TV. :confused3
Well played, great minds .........................

;)

giphy.gif

Chippendales selfies of me would not help your case at all!!
You've met me...I shouldn't have to tell you that.

Yeah, no pictures of you. That won't help. I'm hanging those pictures of me here in hopes of frightening her to Florida.

Snow already? He loses.

::yes::

I've tried using those Chip n Dale pictures, but I think I might need to go up a few letters higher on that rating scale - from G to R maybe.

TV adds 10lbs. That must be it.

I must have lots of tvs around me all the time. :sad2:

Really? Have you seen Doc?
481d18953cae4215813ca0e93c891311.png

Yew, just met up with him last week. The animated ones don't work either.

Thanks, right now this is his second choice. Given that it is in our city it is the cheaper option and I like that.
That's how it would have gone with my young'en's second choice.

Of course, I allowed him to attend his first choice, so...

My MIL is still sorting through stuff from her mother's house...and she passed 11 years ago.
:faint: Let us not even consider such...

I'm assuming that the house hasn't been vacant for 11 years.
Do tell me that is the case.

Haven't been thru that yet myself either, but have watched my relatives and DW's relatives behave poorly. I call them vultures.
Bet that wasn't fun.
For us at least, there are only two people involved and dividing up the estate equitably likely wont be the actual issue
<< see below>>

And there it is...
I can't make that suggestion because - "kind of a hoarder" - runs in the family.
I may have married the one with the least amount of this trait, but we're now dealing with an estate full of it and a senior executor with serious amounts of it.

(combined with a Herculean proclivity toward procrastination, utter inability to hear any other point of view and no possibility of relenting on any argument; things generally go one way or they don't go at all)

I'd have this worked through in a month or so (depending on the probate), but I don't get a say.
This will be taking a while I 'spect.

Best to you and the family with all of that. Dealt with it when Mom passed but I am an only child and though there was some stress with it all being out of state and carrying the full load of things, probably easier in the end than dealing with multiples. Hope everything works out well and does not crate any family relationship issues.
We'll see.
I'll basically just have to keep completely out if it.
It will come down to how patient DW can be 'cause there will be no winning any argument.

It is 30 and snowing here.
It was 85 here and not one leaf has even considered turning a color beyond green yet.
Wasn't that way when I was a kid, but it is that way now.

I hear the Turks and Caicos have nice weather...
Now you're talkin'.
Too bad I don't have gainful employment there, though.

I checked all the states I lived in. No great cache of cash for me. :sad2:
http://www.unclaimedmoney.org/
Pretty safe bet that there won't be anything there for us either, but I'll give it a look-see.

TV adds 10lbs. That must be it.
I must have lots of tvs around me all the time. :sad2:
:laughing:

Morning all.
It's too early (or late, depending on your viewpoint)
I think for most of us, it would be considered too early.

For you (late night shift again I presume) and Dan, possibly too late. Speaking of Dan, I hope he's doing okay...haven't heard much from him lately.

Thanks for posting that. Man... I dunno. I kept thinking "What would happen if it decided to take a bite? What could stop it?"
Are you saying if you were the shark or Andriana? :lmao:

I'm assuming that the house hasn't been vacant for 11 years.
Do tell me that is the case.
Well, yeah it has been vacant all that time. But thing is, they live in a small fishing village. When my wife grew up there it was still small at 500-600 people, but they (and a nearby village) could support a small school, a couple stores, church. As with many rural places, any young people don't want to stay there, so the population has been declining for years, it's around 250 now. The school was torn down years ago, the church cut back to one service a month, there is one small corner store that tries to survive by doubling as a post office, even the only bar closed a few years back, so that's saying something. Anyway, long story short, when people die, the houses sit empty because they just can't sell when there are no buyers. The choice is A) tear it down B) let it sit and rot away. Sadly, the latter is done more often than not. On a rare occasion if the house is architecturally unique or on a nice piece of land, it will be bought by someone as a summer cottage, but that's definitely the exception not the rule.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter