DDC XXXIV: The Original Home Of The DISDads!!!

I live about an hour from Sydney but lived in Sydney my whole life before moving recently. No trips planned for the near future, waiting until the kids are a bit older before we do a big trip to WDW.
Was in Sydney and Melbourne on business about a year ago, been there twice and other than the flight length love the country and the people. Rather than WDW and the flights, any thoughts on Hong Kong, Tokyo or Shanghai? Especially Shanghai?

Some sad news. A guy from my home town died in Gulf Shores Alabama the other day on Fall Break vacation trying to save an 11 year old kid (not his) from drowning in a riptide. I coached with him in rec soccer a few years back, and his children are in same grades as mine.

While we weren't close friends, he was a great guy and a good dad whenever I saw him.

Some sad news. A guy from my home town died in Gulf Shores Alabama the other day on Fall Break vacation trying to save an 11 year old kid (not his) from drowning in a riptide. I coached with him in rec soccer a few years back, and his children are in same grades as mine.

While we weren't close friends, he was a great guy and a good dad whenever I saw him.

Very sad.

How old are the kids?
Coming too young and it's just like herding squirrels...just ask @afwdwfan. :wave: Andy

Kids are only 2 and 4 at the moment, with one on the way. Won't be getting over there for quite some time I feel! I'll be well prepared by then if I stick to the DisBoards...

Sorry to hear mate!

How long a flight is that to WDW?

To Orlando overall it would be between 22 - 40 hours depending on stops; you can't fly there directly.

You have girls, boys?
You wouldn't live anywhere near Wollongong would you? I was in Australia years ago and stayed there for a couple weeks. Then did a tour up the coast to Sydney and Brisbane.

I'm about an hour north of Sydney, Wollongong's about 1-2 hours south of Sydney.

Was in Sydney and Melbourne on business about a year ago, been there twice and other than the flight length love the country and the people. Rather than WDW and the flights, any thoughts on Hong Kong, Tokyo or Shanghai? Especially Shanghai?

They would be much closer but I feel that nobody does those places quite like the Americans!

Maybe pumpkin instead of Apple pie.

Had both on the table, but I'm not a pumpkin pie fan.

Sadly, I've only had them doughy and mushy.

Ew. Just... no.

I have never been that hungry.

Now give me a samosa and I'm happy.

Love samosas.
But perogies made right are really good too.

Hmm.... What variation are you thinking of?

They look like the pot stickers at O'hana.

Very similar on the outside, but (usually) potatoes and cheese on the inside.

Aw man... that's just awful. Sorry to hear that.

and stop calling him Shirley. Do you like movies about Gladiators? :scared1:
We have Clearance, Clarence. Roger, Roger. What's our Vector, Victor?
How old are the kids?
Coming too young and it's just like herding squirrels...just ask @afwdwfan. :wave: Andy
Nah, we brought ours when they were 1 and 3. Granted, we didn't have a 22hr flight with a connection though. Ours was a measly 9.
I'm not there but I would guess that there is some sand and some water. ;)

Beautiful. This afternoon it was calm, with the sun reflecting like a mirror off the water.
See? There are poets still left in this world.

And full of crap. From the fish.
And back down from the Angels we come.

Morning chaps, from an Autumnal London. Goodnight to our antipodean cousin over there. Went to see the Harvest Festival school assembly today, that's 45 minutes I'm never getting back. Have a great day boys.

That stinks. Doing what dads do...should have a special crown.
Praying for his family.

I knew I liked you...just couldn't figure out why. You don't like coffee or pumpkin pie. Must be related. I like home made apple pie (not store bought), but I'd take a pecan pie ANY day over all of them with custard pie being next in line at thanksgiving.

Very similar on the outside, but (usually) potatoes and cheese on the inside.
I had to web search them...had known what they were, but had to refresh my memory. The description I saw said cabbage. Potatoes and cheese sound much much better.

We have Clearance, Clarence. Roger, Roger. What's our Vector, Victor?
I think Dan picked the wrong day to stop sniffing glue.

Nah, we brought ours when they were 1 and 3. Granted, we didn't have a 22hr flight with a connection though. Ours was a measly 9.
See...made my case...he was still sniffing glue at that point.

Morning chaps, from an Autumnal London. Goodnight to our antipodean cousin over there. Went to see the Harvest Festival school assembly today, that's 45 minutes I'm never getting back. Have a great day boys.
Have you hired/fired/promoted/demoted anyone there yet?

'Morning all...
It's a sticky mid July morning here. 100% humidity and a temp of 75(24c) before sun up.
Problem is: It's mid October so I shouldn't be dealing with that kind of Beverly still.
You just about need an aqualung to keep from drowning once you walk out the door.
When I was a young'en, October meant Friday night ball games where you needed a jacket and hot coffee.
Those days are long gone.

Beautiful. This afternoon it was calm, with the sun reflecting like a mirror off the water.
Excellent!
Better that y'all are on the coast then stuck at home.
At least the heat is useful while you're down there.

We just had too much good food but I'm sure there are plenty of family battles at these gatherings on both sides of the border.
Probably so...
But as a nation we seem to excel at disfunctionality.
It's like one of our national past times.

Now, that's just not right!
So sorry to hear this.
May the family find the help it will need to carry on.

Kids are only 2 and 4 at the moment, with one on the way. Won't be getting over there for quite some time I feel! I'll be well prepared by then if I stick to the DisBoards...
Better to ask your questions here though; most civil place on the Dis.
Some of the other forums out there can get quite... ummmm...
shall we say - harsh.

Love samosas.
Samosas, perogies, ravioli, dim sum...
It's all dumplings, and dumplings are pie and pie is wonderful stuff.

Mmmmmm...
Pie...

What's our Vector, Victor?
It's the projected straight line based on our current direction of travel,
but that's not important right now.

we didn't have a 22hr flight with a connection though. Ours was a measly 9.
Nine is about what it takes for us to drive down there
(don't think I'd have considered anything like 22 hours)
Given that, I chose not to try it until our young'en was about 5.
Yes, we missed out on some stuff, but he'd never have remembered it anyway.

Morning gents.
Last long day before (hopefully) some time off. Just 16 hours to go!
Your work schedule is completely bonzo.
Worse yet, it makes it hard for the rest of us to complain.

Thanks much... :rolleyes:

Morning Guys.

Lovely fall morning up here in the North, too bad I'm in the office all day.

Love samosas.

The mushy potato kind. Probably why I don't like vegetable samosas either.

And back down from the Angels we come.

:rotfl2::rotfl2:

I knew I liked you...just couldn't figure out why. You don't like coffee or pumpkin pie. Must be related.

Kissing cousins.

No?

I like home made apple pie (not store bought),

I should hope not!
Store bought apple pie, well..... if you look really hard, you can sometimes find some that's decent. Bakery apple pie can be good.
There's one in town that does a good one.
Here's a photo I found on the web.
The photo doesn't do it justice, but their apple pie is about 6-8 inches tall.

fb-img-1459851580225.jpg

but I'd take a pecan pie ANY day over all of them with custard pie being next in line at thanksgiving.

I've never had pecan pie. I sometimes have trouble with nuts and don't particularly like them mixed into foods.
I'd never heard of custard pie. (Googled) Dang! That looks good!

I had to web search them...had known what they were, but had to refresh my memory. The description I saw said cabbage.

Ew. Just.... no.

It's a sticky mid July morning here. 100% humidity and a temp of 75(24c) before sun up.

Would you prefer our dry and 32(0c)?

When I was a young'en, October meant Friday night ball games where you needed a jacket and hot coffee.
Those days are long gone.

The climate's changed that much?

Samosas, perogies, ravioli, dim sum...
It's all dumplings, and dumplings are pie and pie is wonderful stuff.

Mmmmmm...
Pie...

:thumbsup2

Your work schedule is completely bonzo.
Worse yet, it makes it hard for the rest of us to complain.

Thanks much... :rolleyes:

:laughing:

The mushy potato kind. Probably why I don't like vegetable samosas either.

Mushy. You need to find a better cook.

Morning all from an overcast, yellow flag day. Ocean looks mighty calm. Watched a team of dolphins swim across the ocean this morning with someone chasing them on a paddle board. Don't worry - the dolphins were safe - maybe it was Jay Cutler chasing them. :lmao:

We have some friends stopping by this afternoon. They were at PCB and are stopping here before driving back to KY later today. They have a boy & girl my dds age, and sometimes it clicks and other times it doesn't.

If i can give you some unsolicited advice, don't wait until they are too old. The first trip we made with my dds was when they were 3 & 15 months. My youngest was scared of all the CMs wearing a mask. My three year old was speechless she was so excited. The following year, it was the same for both. It's fun to experience Disney thru the eyes of your children when it's Christmas morning each day and all the magic is real.

I like pumpkin pie. There's not a whole lot of desserts i don't like though.

Poet? Thanks, but that's all i got. Most of my prose sounds like this:

I once knew a man from Nantucket....

I knew I liked you...just couldn't figure out why. You don't like coffee or pumpkin pie. Must be related. I like home made apple pie (not store bought), but I'd take a pecan pie ANY day over all of them with custard pie being next in line at thanksgiving.

I had to web search them...had known what they were, but had to refresh my memory. The description I saw said cabbage. Potatoes and cheese sound much much better.

At the all you can eat bbq place in my town that has fed two sitting US presidents (not bad for a town of less than 100K people), they serve a pecan pie, and a pecan pie with chocolate fudge icing on top.

Last edited:
Would you prefer our dry and 32(0c)?
Actually...
in October...
Probably so.
How about say 40f or 50f. That sounds more autumnal to me.

DW would disagree (most violently), but if you're cold you can put on something heavier.
If your suffering from heat exhaustion, the next step is shock, and that's not a preferable next step.

The climate's changed that much?
It may be more anecdotal, but back when I was in school, October ball games and competitions meant that even as heavy as the uniforms were, you still froze your ninnies off once the the sun set. Now a days I rarely even need long sleeves on a fall evening.

The is very sad news. Praying for that family.

Wow... this place it up to 697 pages and nearly 3 years old. I vaguely remember that new thread smell. :lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter