DDC XXXIV: The Original Home Of The DISDads!!!

Yeah, they seemed pretty confident I'd get about 13 a point for them. Theres about 2 weeks left on the 7 month jump, so maybe....if not, i'll pitch em to one of my mates. Do you know if the MNSSHP tickets are transferable? I bought them with DVC discount, does it have to be me that pick them up? We know a family from here that are out there the same time as us, so we were going to gift them the tickets.

The old Disney would refund them to you with major medical. The new cash grab Disney, I don't know.

Your points should go quick. If not, are you allowed to advertise on DisDad FB? Might have some looking for points for DDCC.

Thanks for the reminder Norm. We enjoyed both Vero and Hilton Head and there are plenty of things to do in both places that can make for a great vacation without having to go through the nightmare that getting a reservation at a resort, ADRs and FPs have become for me. I'm a computer guy and having designed websites and databases and interfaces for many years, it should not be this painful. Since I've seen good design, it's even more so for me I guess. Making a 7month reservation at Hilton Head or Vero should be much less painful, we love the ocean and although both are pricey tourist areas, maybe I can keep my arm and leg in the future.

I really liked Vero Beach and could live there if DW would let us.

I haven't changed my signature since 2014 when I was 45, I was born in 69, although if you ask my wife if she is 44 I'm sure she would agree with you:rotfl2:, I wish my son was still 8, is now 10 days away from being a teenager:scared1:. I also have not updated all the Dis trips since 2014:eek: that would take awhile :faint:. Have to give you a A+ :teacher:for even noticing:thumbsup2.

No signatures show anymore on my phone. i think they are still on my iPad.

Well, I'm going to allow a day or two cool down time, but I just think this is the proverbial straw...

There are many things over the last few years, but I know I cant think of them all.
Doing away with non-expiring tickets.
New FP system (old way was better because you actually had to BE in the park to do it and it gave everyone the same chance)
Tier system for rides at EPCOT
Price increases outpacing ability to keep up (or want to)
Greed -- paying for parking at resort (there were others, but can't remember)
ADRs very difficult to get at 180 day point, even when starting early
FPs darned near impossible to get even at 60 day point
More magic being taken away and replaced with PREMIER events and REALLY PREMIER PRICING
Bus service (maybe it's just perception vs. reality) -- seems to be getting slower and slower
The one fun thing at DTD (that I could use my extras option for) DisneyQuest being gone. Cirque de sole being gone. More overpriced shopping instead.

Again, this has kinda been building and I think I'm just finally fed up. I guess in a nutshell, they keep wanting more and more of my money, but I keep getting less and less in return for it. Not that I've done a formalized CBA, but the cost is far outweighing the benefit lately.

- Agree with you on non-expiring tickets (that was my way to go before we started getting APs)
- New FP system - at 1st I would have totally agreed I detested it when it came out, but now use it to the fullest, Usually use my 1st 3 in my 2nd park for the day, I try to get 10,11am & 12pm, use the 1st around 10:50 and will be at the last at 11:55, can be heading towards the exit by 12:15. Since 12 - 6 is the hottest part of the day and if it is going to rain most likely falls in that slot, it is also the most crowed time of the day, they can have it, I'm going somewhere that is cool:).
- There is only one park that really should have a tier system and that would be the only one that does not have one MK, the other parks do not have enough rides.
- Price increases are the publics fault, if everyone pays the increase they will keep raising it.
- Resort Parking fees- totally agree this is BS, but I know why it is happening, they want to keep you on property and not visit other parks, since they offer free Magical Express from airport, but there are a lot of people that live close enough that flying is not a choice, also other resorts by other parks have been charging for years.
- ADR's I have not had any problems with this ,but we go to very few restaurants in the parks, all the really good ones are at the resorts and Dis Springs.
- Never really had a problem making FP's 60 days out
- Premier events, totally too many, biggest disappointment is any dessert party.
- Buses, they do not use the direct route, You can drive from POP to HS in 5mins, the bus goes the long way takes 15mins, go figure:confused3
- Cirque de sole, is combining back with a new show, building is being remodeled .

Morning All.

Another hot and sticky one today but they say it is suppose to rain and that is very much needed right now.

Last day in the office this week for me. :dancer:

In the words of the great Eric Clapton

- Agree with you on non-expiring tickets (that was my way to go before we started getting APs)
- New FP system - at 1st I would have totally agreed I detested it when it came out, but now use it to the fullest, Usually use my 1st 3 in my 2nd park for the day, I try to get 10,11am & 12pm, use the 1st around 10:50 and will be at the last at 11:55, can be heading towards the exit by 12:15. Since 12 - 6 is the hottest part of the day and if it is going to rain most likely falls in that slot, it is also the most crowed time of the day, they can have it, I'm going somewhere that is cool:).
- There is only one park that really should have a tier system and that would be the only one that does not have one MK, the other parks do not have enough rides.
- Price increases are the publics fault, if everyone pays the increase they will keep raising it.
- Resort Parking fees- totally agree this is BS, but I know why it is happening, they want to keep you on property and not visit other parks, since they offer free Magical Express from airport, but there are a lot of people that live close enough that flying is not a choice, also other resorts by other parks have been charging for years.
- ADR's I have not had any problems with this ,but we go to very few restaurants in the parks, all the really good ones are at the resorts and Dis Springs.
- Never really had a problem making FP's 60 days out
- Premier events, totally too many, biggest disappointment is any dessert party.
- Buses, they do not use the direct route, You can drive from POP to HS in 5mins, the bus goes the long way takes 15mins, go figure:confused3
- Cirque de sole, is combining back with a new show, building is being remodeled .
If I could use the FP system to its fullest and not have to spend 1.5 hours on the phone just to get ANY FPs booked, maybe I would find it better.
Again, I think the old system was better because unless you were actually at the park, you couldn't get a FP. Maybe a Hybrid of the 2...when you scan your MB at the park, then you can select 3 FPs, but not this everyone trying at 7am to make them and the system falling on its face and then people who might end up canceling their vacation sitting on FPs that nobody else can use.
As part of the public, I guess I'm one of the ones saying enough is enough and won't keep paying the increases.
The ME from the airport is a moot point for this...for those of us who drive and DON'T take the ME, we have to pay for NOT costing them money. It would be easy enough to charge people who take the ME and also end up parking at the resort, but not penalize those of us who drive. With regards to the other resorts doing it...the quote from my mom (and I'm sure others) is apropos....if everyone else jumped off a cliff, would you? My biggest problem with it is similar to having to pay to park at a hospital. It's not as if I have a choice and it's not as if you're not already charging me a small fortune.
ADRs are same as FPs, the popular restaurants are near impossible to get unless you want to eat dinner at 8:30pm.
Buses -- So, again, it makes no sense. If I drive to/from the parks, then I'm not costing them money with the buses (yeah, I know 1-5 people not on a bus won't make much difference cost wise, but it's the point), then they want to charge me to park. So, double savings for them (no ME or on property buses) and more cost to me.
Did not know about cirque de sole coming back. At least that's one positive change. On the other hand, in typical Disney fashion, it will probably be double the cost now. Sorry if I sound cynical...I guess to me, most of the changes are either not good or more expensive or both.

Morning boys for what is a sweltering 92f London. Could do with a little bit of that Clapton magic here. It hasn't rained for about 2 months. My lawn looks like I've raised goats on it.
Stood on my injured foot today whilst dressing and it felt pretty good, so again, progress. Carne Asada tonight, hopefully accompanied by a couple of Sierra Nevadas. Aye Carumba!
Got offered to accompany some corporate dudes in the new Spurs stadium for the Raiders and the Seahawks in the London series, so all in all a pretty good start to my Thursday.

This is really interesting discussion on Disney, my tuppence worth...

ADRs are same as FPs, the popular restaurants are near impossible to get unless you want to eat dinner at 8:30pm.
I think this one is not entirely Disneys fault, this is a product of the culture of overplanning. But is one of the simplest ones to fix. One Dinner reservation per party per day. I guarantee about 30% of unavailability would suddenly appear. People are hoarding reservations. We often don't bother with any reservations as we know 1-2 days before they will pop right up as people dump them. This from a PR perspective has to be the easiest argument, i.e "Why do you need two reservations". This is only re-enforced if you go down the FP old route as you suggest, as the counter arguments has been around fast pass planning and tying in with a restaurant. Paris has a nice system. You do paper like old school WDW, if you stay in a certain level of room on site you get one extra FP to use on any ride, but not between 1 and 4. But to take the Florida system away now would also take away many's last reason for staying on site.
the system falling on its face
I'm not sure you've got the right end there, skipper....;)
The ME from the airport is a moot point for this...for those of us who drive and DON'T take the ME, we have to pay for NOT costing them money.
I honestly don't think it was a Cost Analysis on who costs them and who doesn't. It's a resort fee by the back door. ME with transportation keeps you on site and if you ain't got a car, Disney has you spending 24/7 in their register, they were never going to attack that market. They couldn't be upfront and call it a resort fee as it's a fair argument that Disney Hotels are at such a premium there is a fee priced in. So they got 60(?)% of the guests paying, the others who don't are either DVC, and they've had your money anyway, or ME and non-parkers who are locked in. Win win win for Disney.
If not, are you allowed to advertise on DisDad FB? Might have some looking for points for DDCC.
I'm not on the DD FB anymore mate
Price increases are the publics fault, if everyone pays the increase they will keep raising it.
Can anyone see a tipping point? I can't. Disney seems to be a particularly inelastic demand, in that people will still pay. Someone got crucified on FB the other day in one of the DVC groups for daring to suggest that Disney was sub par in quite a few elements, with them basically blaming the guest for Disney's shortcomings, like you shouldn't expect to ride all the rides you want, you should expect queues, it's your own damn fault for booking when you did, blah blah blah. Disney is now priced at a premium level, up there with the Four Seasons, the W's and those kind of brands. Anyone think that they get the level of service you get in a Four Seasons from the Poly or the VGF? So why shouldn't you expect to do all that you wanted? But people still come, myself included. Because it is fundamentally a unique product that they sell, and people want it, for a myriad of reasons, be it Comfort, Nostalgia, or a certain sense of belonging. I saw something on FB the other day that someone had paid $100 on eBay for 4 of the DVC sliders they used to give away for free and that have seemingly no residual value. So she can put them on her wrist band and feel a greater sense of belonging to a corporation? You've got to hand it to them, if they are pulling that level of brand identity off, they must think they can basically get away with murder.

As I said, interesting stuff. We've only been coming for the last 5 years, so MB and ADR madness is all we have ever known, so don't really have much to compare.

Sorry for the essay fellas, got a bit carried away with myself there.

Have a great Thursday, and Darcy enjoy your weekend in Montreal.

London out,

Top O the Mornin Dads and a very happy Friday Eve! "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem." -- Jack Sparrow (Pirates of the Caribbean)
Yeah, they seemed pretty confident I'd get about 13 a point for them. Theres about 2 weeks left on the 7 month jump, so maybe....if not, i'll pitch em to one of my mates. Do you know if the MNSSHP tickets are transferable? I bought them with DVC discount, does it have to be me that pick them up? We know a family from here that are out there the same time as us, so we were going to gift them the tickets.
When checking on our MNSSHP tix in the MDE they show I can "reassign" them so different than our APs that reflect non-transferable. Check yours our, you may need to add the other family to your Freinds and Family list to reassign. Also good to hear your foot is making improvement. Also, why are you not on DD FB? If you do not want to get into it, understood.
Morning All.

Another hot and sticky one today but they say it is suppose to rain and that is very much needed right now.

Last day in the office this week for me. :dancer:
Same hotttt weather here. Enjoy Montreal and good luck to DS this weekend with the tournament
Can anyone see a tipping point? I can't. Disney seems to be a particularly inelastic demand, in that people will still pay. Someone got crucified on FB the other day in one of the DVC groups for daring to suggest that Disney was sub par in quite a few elements, with them basically blaming the guest for Disney's shortcomings, like you shouldn't expect to ride all the rides you want, you should expect queues, it's your own damn fault for booking when you did, blah blah blah. Disney is now priced at a premium level, up there with the Four Seasons, the W's and those kind of brands. Anyone think that they get the level of service you get in a Four Seasons from the Poly or the VGF? So why shouldn't you expect to do all that you wanted? But people still come, myself included. Because it is fundamentally a unique product that they sell, and people want it, for a myriad of reasons, be it Comfort, Nostalgia, or a certain sense of belonging. I saw something on FB the other day that someone had paid $100 on eBay for 4 of the DVC sliders they used to give away for free and that have seemingly no residual value. So she can put them on her wrist band and feel a greater sense of belonging to a corporation? You've got to hand it to them, if they are pulling that level of brand identity off, they must think they can basically get away with murder.

As I said, interesting stuff. We've only been coming for the last 5 years, so MB and ADR madness is all we have ever known, so don't really have much to compare
Pretty much agree with your thoughts here. Like anything else, personal decisions and taking the good with the bad. Last trip changed up our last day plans on the fly and was able to book 50's PT on a Saturday night at 6:30 with 1 day notice - it was easy, system worked perfectly and we got what we wanted. DaWorld is our happy place / our lake house & boat for all kinds of reasons, as you listed. I understand costs going up but costs are going up everywhere, anyone been to a MLB game lately? Took in two games at Wrigley, paid face value for tickets and cost me $380 for two of us for 2 games / 6 hours total of entertainment. Food and beer prices are the same if not actually higher than comparable quick serve at WDW. I guess for us, I see more value for the buck spending at WDW but again being DVC, doing APs and leveraging discounts and other things likely is a big plus than say the family that can only go once a year or every other year. Good discussion.

I think someone needs to go back to work.....cost analysis...inelastic demand....brand identity.....all in one Disboard post. Impressive!

;)
238e27c0d41052bf5940fe49033244ba.jpg

Very boring day today since I finally started cleaning the house since I destroyed it last week. About to start making sausage and sauce. I'm ready for a nice pasta dinner tomorrow.

FP+ reservations next week. Not going to kill myself but will pick up a few here and there. The main reason for the trip is Food and Wine.

Stood on my injured foot today whilst dressing and it felt pretty good, so again, progress. Carne Asada tonight, hopefully accompanied by a couple of Sierra Nevadas. Aye Carumba!
Got offered to accompany some corporate dudes in the new Spurs stadium for the Raiders and the Seahawks in the London series, so all in all a pretty good start to my Thursday.

Winner all around. Glad the foot is getting better. My appetite is finally starting to come back and Carne Asada sounds delicious. I'll be over with a nice Rioja.

One Dinner reservation per party per day.

I may be wrong but I don't think you can make multiple ADRs at or near the same time. I'm sure a few people work around it but MDE or if you call will link the ADR to your hotel reservation. It prohibits multiples and they are blocked.

I think someone needs to go back to work.....cost analysis...inelastic demand....brand identity.....all in one Disboard post. Impressive!
all I needed was to put "market share" and someone could have won on marketing bullsh!t bingo.

My appetite is finally starting to come back and Carne Asada sounds delicious. I'll be over with a nice Rioja.
Bring the sausage and Pasta as well mate, and we'll have a bit of a feast. There's limoncello in the freezer as well, if that seals the deal.
I may be wrong but I don't think you can make multiple ADRs at or near the same time.
I was reading that it is 2 hours. So you could book one restaurant for 630 and one for 830. So in the world of an 8:00 reservation, you've knocked 2 out, as the system recognises them as dinner and won't offer up as one won't be finished and the other one is breathing down your neck. I see it all the time one of the "foodie" Disney FB groups, when they start a post "Which one of these should I give up, Yak n Yeti or California Grill?"

I understand costs going up but costs are going up everywhere, anyone been to a MLB game lately?
It's a really good point Mike. I think the closest analogy I can think of for Disney and the loyalty it engenders is a sports team. It's the only other business where the product can be almost universally recognised as deteriorating, yet it's business doesn't suffer. Look at my team. Haven't won anything in 30-odd years. There were protests and tear ups at almost every home game last season. Guess who sold out on 53,000 season tickets a month before the season starts?

It's a really good point Mike. I think the closest analogy I can think of for Disney and the loyalty it engenders is a sports team. It's the only other business where the product can be almost universally recognised as deteriorating, yet it's business doesn't suffer. Look at my team. Haven't won anything in 30-odd years. There were protests and tear ups at almost every home game last season. Guess who sold out on 53,000 season tickets a month before the season starts?
I think that depends on the team and/or market though. Dolphins haven't been good for many years and their attendance reflects it. When Marino and Shula where there (and we were winning, it was packed) Here in Atlanta, unfortunately, many are fair weather fans for both football and baseball. One of the big reasons the Thrashers left Atlanta...they weren't winning enough, so not enough fans. Certain areas (Green Bay, Chicago, NY, Philly, Boston) the fans are faithful and dedicated (sometimes bordering on rabid). For me personally, my two teams...one very faithful (and yes sometimes Chicago fans can be rabid) and one more fair weather.

The shark week episode aired last night. They didn't get much airtime because they were highlighting 4 organizations but she did get some face time. They also did a promo on Good Morning America and she got more airtime there. Someone captured a couple of screen shots of the GMA segment.

She is on the left of the shark tank person holding the tail of a Nurse. The Nurse was a bit spunky.

shark Week 1.jpg

Shark Tank lady is releasing the fishing line. A is on her left giving instruction/supervision.

shark Week 2.jpg

Unfortunately they didn't win the $50,000 but did get a lot of exposure.

I think that depends on the team and/or market though. Dolphins haven't been good for many years and their attendance reflects it. When Marino and Shula where there (and we were winning, it was packed) Here in Atlanta, unfortunately, many are fair weather fans for both football and baseball. One of the big reasons the Thrashers left Atlanta...they weren't winning enough, so not enough fans. Certain areas (Green Bay, Chicago, NY, Philly, Boston) the fans are faithful and dedicated (sometimes bordering on rabid). For me personally, my two teams...one very faithful (and yes sometimes Chicago fans can be rabid) and one more fair weather.
I completely agree Doc, that in the US there is more of a consumer led "vote with your feet" reaction to success in teams in many areas rather than over here, which is a fascinating topic in itself. Is that because it's a 2 way deal, at any point a team could be offered a better stadium 3 states over and up and leave, so there is always a bit of the fans that think that its a transitional relationship? Apart from the ones you mention, and maybe Detroit. It's a real issue for me, as lets face it, the Jags are going to be the London based team in less than 5 years. I've supported the Bears for 30 years, give or take. Do I give up that, and start to follow a team I have no history with, but I could see every 2-4 weeks, or follow the team I have had since I was a boy that I have seen play twice, and never at Soldier field surrounded by bears fans? I really don't know.

Just to be clear, normal service will resume tomorrow where I make smutty innuendos about Disney Princesses' Boobies and Ladyparts.

Very boring day today since I finally started cleaning the house since I destroyed it last week. About to start making sausage and sauce. I'm ready for a nice pasta dinner tomorrow.

FP+ reservations next week. Not going to kill myself but will pick up a few here and there. The main reason for the trip is Food and Wine.
All sounds good CJ. DW made the call today to go with a pasts dinner for Sunday family to give me break from the grill :confused3 plus FIL is Italian and would eat past 7 nights a week. We are doin F&W for the first time mid Sept and just planning to take it easy and stop at as many places as possible to sample and get a feel for the event. Any tips for F&W?

Bring the sausage and Pasta as well mate, and we'll have a bit of a feast. There's limoncello in the freezer as well, if that seals the deal.

I'll be right there.

Any tips for F&W?

Avoid the weekend if possible. Lots of locals take advantage and flock to the festival. It gets a little rowdy at times when some of the younger "adults" try to prove their drinking ability. One year I went on a Tuesday and a 20 something girl was passed out in the middle of the walkway. She also lost her cookies. I was like, "Come on, its only Tuesday. It gets worse on the weekend. Security does a pretty good job about dealing with it.

Get a couple of the festival brochures before you go to the park so everyone can pick out places they want to stop. It also avoids bouncing from one side of the park to another. Get the wrist things that hold a refillable card so you can keep track of what you are spending. It is way to easy to spend a fortune there. I try to go to a couple of food/beverage sessions at the Festival Center. There is an extra charge and you may have to reserve in advance. Not everyone's thing but I enjoy it. There is a bourbon tasting while I am down there that I want to try.

I'll be right there.

Avoid the weekend if possible. Lots of locals take advantage and flock to the festival. It gets a little rowdy at times when some of the younger "adults" try to prove their drinking ability. One year I went on a Tuesday and a 20 something girl was passed out in the middle of the walkway. She also lost her cookies. I was like, "Come on, its only Tuesday. It gets worse on the weekend. Security does a pretty good job about dealing with it.

Get a couple of the festival brochures before you go to the park so everyone can pick out places they want to stop. It also avoids bouncing from one side of the park to another. Get the wrist things that hold a refillable card so you can keep track of what you are spending. It is way to easy to spend a fortune there. I try to go to a couple of food/beverage sessions at the Festival Center. There is an extra charge and you may have to reserve in advance. Not everyone's thing but I enjoy it. There is a bourbon tasting while I am down there that I want to try.
Thank you sir, let me know any details on the bourbon tasting - didn't see anything on that. But for a good bourbon tast, Abracadabar has the Knob Creek Disney Select - was real good.

10ba6f8f199ed94d096f5b76a3ab95fd69d4bdda.gif

Thank you sir, let me know any details on the bourbon tasting - didn't see anything on that. But for a good bourbon tast, Abracadabar has the Knob Creek Disney Select - was real good.

I pulled from their site a list of the seminar schedule....

Food and Beverage Pairings

https://secure.cdn1.wdpromedia.com/...ng/2018-food-and-beverage+Pairings-7-9-18.pdf

Culinary Demonstrations

https://secure.cdn1.wdpromedia.com/...rations/6.25-2018-culinary-demonstrations.pdf

Beverage Seminars

https://secure.cdn1.wdpromedia.com/...everage-seminars/Beverage-Seminars-7-9-18.pdf

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter