DDC XXXIV: The Original Home Of The DISDads!!!

Evening, Gents! Hope everyone had a good day, I had so-so day. Been in another one of my moods lately, but was able to pull out of it by the afternoon. It's also been pretty busy at work lately so the days have been flying by. Otherwise, not much to report at work. I got home tonight from work and my wife greets me and says, "We need to have a serious talk tonight. What do you want for dinner?" And I'm like, "Whoa! Stop! Wait! What?! " FORGET DINNER! WHAT'S THIS SERIOUS TALK WE NEED TO HAVE?! (to myself I'm thinking) "Crap! What did I do? Did she find something she shouldn't have?" Not that I'm hiding anything, mind you. šŸ˜‡ So, she tells me that since ou....wait. Stop. I should start this off...no, I NEED to start this off by saying that life just keeps getting better. šŸ˜† šŸ¤Ŗ So, she tells me that our oven is now toast. Kind of figured that out when it tried to blow us up. Well, it wasn't a huge explosion, but still....war stories, right? Basically, we turned the oven on the other night to cook dinner, pilot light never came on to light the oven, so the gas built up inside the oven. So when the pilot light did come on, it lit off the gas that had built up. Thankfully nothing major happened, but that could have been a serious problem if it had been bigger. Anyways, the oven is now in permanent slumber and will no longer be used. The microwave sounds like a jet engine when being used, and the portable dishwasher leaks when used because a wheel broke off a couple of years ago and thus leans to one side, a minor inconvenience I deal with. All this I knew. What I didn't know was is that my in-laws have decided to help us out and pay for all new appliances. I was thinking of a new stove and microwave, but sure, let's throw in a new built-in dishwasher and fridge (one with water and ice). Right now there's a really good deal going right now with a local place, and my in-laws know the owners and have a good relationship with them..
You probably would have been ok it it wasn't for the gas lines and the vent that goes with it. Cutting out a section of cabinets for a dishwasher and running the drains is not that big a deal, just remember you are losing a full cabinet of storage when you do that.
If you are using a portable dishwasher I'm going to assume you have an older house with a small kitchen. Your best bet is going to be just replace everything in place for now. If the house is over 40 years old the remodel is going to get real expensive quick, because everytime they pull something out they will find something else that need to be repaired or replaced.
In that part of the country if it's as old as I'm guessing you should have solid stock wood cabinets and solid brass hardware. Save any of it you pull out. It can be reused somewhere and last another 40+ years.

You probably would have been ok it it wasn't for the gas lines and the vent that goes with it. Cutting out a section of cabinets for a dishwasher and running the drains is not that big a deal, just remember you are losing a full cabinet of storage when you do that.
If you are using a portable dishwasher I'm going to assume you have an older house with a small kitchen. Your best bet is going to be just replace everything in place for now. If the house is over 40 years old the remodel is going to get real expensive quick, because everytime they pull something out they will find something else that need to be repaired or replaced.
In that part of the country if it's as old as I'm guessing you should have solid stock wood cabinets and solid brass hardware. Save any of it you pull out. It can be reused somewhere and last another 40+ years.
Agree with all of this...except, in my mind, if you're used to the portable dishwasher and the only problem is a missing wheel causing it to leak, then either rig something up to support that corner or find a replacement wheel. Yes, removing a cabinet to do a dishwasher would be an option too.

I've been thinking about it since last night, and was up at 4 am thinking about it. We need an oven, but everything else is going to have to wait. We just can't afford it.
I'm guessing as a red blooded American man you have a Toaster, a BBQ and a Microwave. And I'm guessing a bin.

Monday - Bacon on the BBQ
Tuesday - Toast (with Bacon (see above))
Weds - Microwave pasta with Bacon (see above))
Thurs - Bacon Surprise (Two hits of Bacon)
Fri - Takeaway Pizza (no forks, muvver luvver)
Sat - Steaks on the BBQ
Sun - Find 50 friends and eat round their gaff once every year. 2 weeks a year is Disney.

Paper plates and Plastic cutlery (this is where the bin comes in handy)

So, dump the Oven, the fridge, the gas lines, the sink. Maybe spring for a new beer fridge where the oven used to be so you don't have an ugly gap, with all the money we've saved.

I see no issues here.

(sorry for your troubles bud)

Last edited:

Yeah, the house is around 50+ years old, so I think I'm pretty much screwed. We'll see what happens.

Agree with all of this...except, in my mind, if you're used to the portable dishwasher and the only problem is a missing wheel causing it to leak, then either rig something up to support that corner or find a replacement wheel. Yes, removing a cabinet to do a dishwasher would be an option too.

It would be nice to have a built in dishwasher, but I've been dealing with it and am willing to continue dealing with it. Although my wife hasn't come out right and said it, I know she'd love to have a built in dishwasher.

I'm guessing as a red blooded American man you have a Toaster, a BBQ and a Microwave. And I'm guessing a bin.

Sat - Steaks on the BBQ
Sun - Find 50 friends and eat round their gaff once every year. 2 weeks a year is Disney.

So, dump the Oven, the fridge, the gas lines, the sink. Maybe spring for a new beer fridge where the oven used to be so you don't have an ugly gap, with all the money we've saved.

I see no issues here.

:thumbsup2

This went from getting one new appliance, the stove, to four and redoing the whole kitchen and I have no idea if I'm going to have a job at the end of the month. I just want to cry...or get drunk...or both.
Yikes! Good luck, whichever way you decide.
1) She had hurt her knee at work and has to wear a knee brace
I promised to stop off for some homemade ice cream if she didn't linger for shoes.
Got it. So knee cap her and bribe her. Okay, think I got it.
Another scorcher here, about 75F at 8 a.m. headed for 100 later today.
:scared:
You missed two more words that went with that phrase. It's almost a full time job filling out paperwork and finding documents to retire. Maybe they will want a blood donation too. I may send them a stool sample.
The stool sample would be a nice touch.
Last one in Captain Cooks for cut price Tonga Toast and a Dole Whip has to take Cynthia home. And let me tell ya, there are certain things she don't mind being 2 inches over regulation.
Nicely done.

Hey gents
Driving out to my in-laws today. DW has to work tomorrow so she wanted to see her father today.

Surprise work email this morning. Looks like a job (when I say job I mean rig will start drilling) will start up Tuesday, so I should be back to work in a few days. Plus the work thatā€™s supposed to start at the end of the month, should keep me busy for a little while. I guess thatā€™s a good thing.

I spent yesterday on a backyard project. I got a small fire pit a few weeks ago, but just used it on top of grass, which of course killed the grass underneath. I knew that would happen, I just hadnā€™t mustered up the energy and courage to do anything with it.
Anyway, I laid some patio slabs yesterday and considering I had never done anything like that before, I was pretty happy with it.
Itā€™s far from a professional install and a couple slabs are a bit wobbly (donā€™t we all have a couple loose stones?).
Itā€™s not fancy but it does the job.
I got a couple simple citronella torches and candles to dress it up a bit and keep the flying critters away.
Looking forward to enjoying a Fatherā€™s Day fire tomorrow.

I've been thinking about it since last night, and was up at 4 am thinking about it. We need an oven, but everything else is going to have to wait. We just can't afford it.
Tough call. Very nice to get offered appliances. But kitchen renovations can get $$$$$ in a hurry. As you say, an oven is a necessity right now. The rest is a ā€œnice to haveā€ when the time is right.

Morning from a sunny and very hot Westfield NB. I was up early and got the lawn mowed, pool cleaned and and washed the bikes. Dd is going to a pool party, so the wife and I are going on the bikes for a few hours. enjoy the weekend guys.
Hey gents
Driving out to my in-laws today. DW has to work tomorrow so she wanted to see her father today.

Surprise work email this morning. Looks like a job (when I say job I mean rig will start drilling) will start up Tuesday, so I should be back to work in a few days. Plus the work thatā€™s supposed to start at the end of the month, should keep me busy for a little while. I guess thatā€™s a good thing.

I spent yesterday on a backyard project. I got a small fire pit a few weeks ago, but just used it on top of grass, which of course killed the grass underneath. I knew that would happen, I just hadnā€™t mustered up the energy and courage to do anything with it.
Anyway, I laid some patio slabs yesterday and considering I had never done anything like that before, I was pretty happy with it.
Itā€™s far from a professional install and a couple slabs are a bit wobbly (donā€™t we all have a couple loose stones?).
I got a couple simple citronella torches and candles to dress it up a bit and keep the flying critters away.

View attachment 502404

Tough call. Very nice to get offered appliances. But kitchen renovations can get $$$$$ in a hurry. As you say, an oven is a necessity right now. The rest is a ā€œnice to haveā€ when the time is right.
Good news on the job front and nice job on the fire pit Jeff.

Sold out, but I did hear you can substitute some types of feminine hygiene products in their place.

Thanks for looking Darcey...

Tampon GIF - Tampon Nose Nosebleed - Discover & Share GIFs

Happy Saturday. EPL, played tennis, and more EPL. 007 & I chatting on FB about this West Ham match. There was enough time to post here as well. Monday is our Disney booking reservation day. I don't think it's restaurants yet though.

Sat - Steaks on the BBQ

I see no issues here.

I have to disagree with you. I really like cooking on the gas stove top. Oven is good for finishing pork loin and broiler is good for finishing steak.

The devils are watching all the time. As I refreshed the page, I have pop up ads for:

Ovens
Fridges
Washing machines.

Did you all get COVID trackers on your smartphone? It's here under setting, Google settings.

Government and corporations are here to help.

Right. That's it. I'm calling it. Work week over. Everyone out. Last one in Captain Cooks for cut price Tonga Toast and a Dole Whip has to take Cynthia home. And let me tell ya, there are certain things she don't mind being 2 inches over regulation.

Sadly, I wouldn't meet Cynthia's regulations.

View attachment 502404

Congrats on the job, and the firepit looks good. We thought about the metal one, but I guess DW wanted me hauling blocks around the house instead. I have really enjoyed our fire pit this year and wish I had done it sooner.

Hello guys! Wishing all of us that will be trying to reserve park access Monday morning the best of luck - unless Iā€™m competing with you for a specific park at a specific time :rotfl2:

Returning to the WDW top 5, kinda ā€¦
Top 5 Disney Dads (from the movies not us)

And with that, wishing this great group of characters a very happy Fathers Day weekend! Cheers my brothers!

Hey guys, did I miss anything important, I'm sure I did. :lmao::lmao::lmao: Finished treatments last week, starting to get back to feeling normal again šŸ¤Ŗ, hope to be around more often now that I can stay awake.
Great news Rob - you got this!
Hey gents

View attachment 502404

Great news on the job front - very happy thi gs

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter