DDC XXXIV: The Original Home Of The DISDads!!!

Busy, back at work.
Both DDs are over their head colds.
We had to keep youngest out of school 5 days, a few days longer than normal for a simple head cold. These days if you show any symptoms of anything, you are asked to stay home. Worst thing is she falls behind and is not one to do well catching up - she doesn't have the motivation unless we push her to do it.

Everyone freaks out over a simple head cold now a days, but I guess it's better to be safe than sorry.

DW and I caught that on Netflix last weekend too.
We enjoyed it. Not the greatest film ever, but worth a watch.

No, not the greatest film ever, but a good one....at least I thought it was.

And, made it to Thursday. I seem to have the basics down with the job now, so it's only a matter of time until I'm working on my own. It's designed for a 2 person job, one on load and one on unload. However, the guys working it have decided to work both sides solo an hour and then take a break for an hour. I guess that makes sense if you're on night shift maybe? I can handle one side or the other, but definitely not both at the same time. To be continued.... Not much scheduled today. Haircut, grocery, and then to work. Have a great day.

Thanks guys. He will be OK eventually. In summary, one Drill Instructor took a particular dislike to my scrawny, hillbilly son and another trainee from Puerto Rico and made it his mission to break them. After 3 weeks of getting only a couple hours of sleep a day, he succeeded with my boy. I might be even more disappointed with the result than my son is. My wife and I were older parents and my kids have no other relatives they are close to so I was hoping he had found his "family" and his calling. Now he is back home with the same old friction between him and SWMBO so he went from high stress that was different to high stress that was familiar. No plan B at all and jobs are scarce in this COVID world. He was thinking about going up and living with my folks and attending the local Community College. They are in their 80's and need help but dad's dementia is getting worse and mom is getting very short tempered. I told him that wouldn't be a good idea as it would just be even more stress with living in the snow belt added for good measure.

Sorry to hear it, especially as that was his goal. If there is good news, it's that it happened sooner than later, and he he has time and your safety net to regroup and form a new plan.

It takes a lot of $$$ to be happy in a disorganized mess. Or at least to ignore it.

And it will take a lot to get me to go there. I'm not happy with the current work time, but I'll stay with it because of the $ until I find something better.

Morning, Gents! Had a good day yesterday, so nothing major to report. It was the Mrs.' birthday yesterday, so we ordered takeout and sat down for a family movie night. We wound up watching Enola Holmes. Enola is the sister of Sherlock Holmes, and the movie is about her. Really cute movie and glad we watched it. That's pretty much all I have. Have a good day, everyone, and we'll chat later.

TTFN

Happy birthday to DW.

Well that's pretty cool. How do you feel about that? Is that something you'd want to do?

It was never in my plans. About 10 years into my job, my employer paid for me to get the Master's degree, so afterwards, I took and passed the licensure test. I can practice now, under supervision. I never did because I already had a job. So, that would be the natural progression. Not sure I would ever want the headache of opening my own business, but it would be a nice option. My dad had a friend who did something similar, converting a home office in his retirement days. All the money without the overhead.

I'm trying to optimistic that things will turn around quickly once we have a vaccine, however, I know that it'll have to get worse before it gets better.

I don't know how much better it can get. We went from a projected 2.2 million deaths in the US to around 200K. We went from flatten the curve to stop the spread. We went from masks work to stop the spread, but not in large gatherings. We went from denying people medical care to successful early intervention steroid treatments. Our governor reads off statistics every evening on cases and deaths, yet more have died from cigarette smoking and abortions. That's not a shot at you or anyone. I think there has been good news with the advancements that aren't being reported/ considered. I continue to pray for those individuals, their families, and those who provide treatment for the virus. I also pray for an end to the spread of fear.

Busy, back at work.
We had to keep youngest out of school 5 days, a few days longer than normal for a simple head cold. These days if you show any symptoms of anything, you are asked to stay home. Worst thing is she falls behind and is not one to do well catching up - she doesn't have the motivation unless we push her to do it.

Hope she gets better soon. I had one with the motivation to do school make up work, and one without. I get it.

It's terrible news.
I only hope some of these people are re-hired when gatherings and entertainment is OK again.
It will be very disappointing if these entertainment offerings are never brought back.

::yes:: I can't imagine the Grand Floridean without the music. From business side, I guess it's cheaper to just play recorded music.

I work a crazy number of days in a row (14) but I do get a week off on the other side.
But I knew that upfront and signed the contact.
Plus I'm working from home, so no commute to take up my time.
Doing 19 days in a row, when you didn't expect it, and might only get a couple day off, is too much.

Thanks. Part of me felt guilty, wanting to leave a job so soon after being hired. And not for the managers, but the guys I've been working with and who have been training me. We've been told the new schedule starts Nov 2, but have also heard others say it may not happen until after the holidays. I only quit one other job once after 3 days. They paid me in cash, so it probably wasn't all that legit anyway.

Last edited:
2yr old is back at school today. His eyes look crazy devil kid, but he's acting fine. Which is good.

Thanks for everyone's updates. There's no way you are all bots or story-tellers. The information is way too relatable for me to think Disboads is some massive undertaking to collect my personal information. Anyway - from DisDad # 418 - have a great day, ya'll. ( Feeling Nostalgic, my first DisDad thread was #3 , I think...)

There's no way you are all bots or story-tellers. The information is way too relatable for me to think Disboads is some massive undertaking to collect my personal information.
And just to prove it, here's a picture of me and the family in Disney only last year....

good news on the young 'un, hope he has a good day

Last edited:
It was the Mrs.' birthday yesterday,
Happy belated to SWMBO.
We wound up watching Enola Holmes. Enola is the sister of Sherlock Holmes, and the movie is about her. Really cute movie and glad we watched it.
Thanks for the tip. May watch that tonight.
Better safe, but.. was there no online learning for her while she was gone?
I can roll out of bed and work in my pajamas if I feel like it. I suppose I could have done that in the office, but I would get some funny looks.
But maybe some offers, too.
They told him when he processed out he could re-enlist in 6 months. If it was just the medical end of it he probably would but he has seen how it can come down to an arbitrary issue like the MTI (Air Force drill instructor) personally disliking you and I don't think he is willing to go through that again. The COVID thing made it worse because for the first two weeks they were on restriction of movement and never left the dorm area. Barbers came to them, meals came to them, supplies came to them, immunization personnel came to them. In the pre-COVID thing at least you had a little break just parading to the various locations for meals, shots, etc. My son expected them to be a pain in the Alien Swirling Saucer. Some were mean, grumpy SOBs and he expected that and realized they were just doing their jobs. Two he said were even "almost decent humans". Out of all of them, it was just this one that really had it in for him for some reason.
Can't blame him for not wanting to go back. Doesn't sound like a ton of fun.

I believe Darcy wants a photo, Jeff.
Reaction gif tagged with no, please, Tom Hanks

Last edited:
Morning, Gents! The internet at the house is out again, so this is a quick check in from work, so I'll try and get to the quotes a little later when I have time. Well, yesterday went well. Spent most of yesterday cleaning and organizing. I do have my second interview around 12 noon eastern time, so good vibes would be appreciated. Outside that, things are going well. Chat with everyone later.

TTFN

Morning, folks.
Today's Friday which means... absolutely nothing to me. I do head back to work tomorrow night, so I guess this is sorta my Sunday?

I missed the conversation yesterday due to spending all day on the golf course in perfect weather. Got my money's worth, too, since I took as many shots as I possibly could.
Years ago I read the comics in the Saturday newspaper and saw something that stuck with me. A quick Google search and I couldn't believe it popped up right away.

I do have my second interview around 12 noon eastern time, so good vibes would be appreciated.
Vibes sent! Good luck!

Morning, folks.
Today's Friday which means... absolutely nothing to me. I do head back to work tomorrow night, so I guess this is sorta my Sunday?

Well then, happy Sunday?

Years ago I read the comics in the Saturday newspaper and saw something that stuck with me. A quick Google search and I couldn't believe it popped up right away.

View attachment 529421

I don't golf, but this is funny.

Vibes sent! Good luck!

Thanks, man.

Better safe, but.. was there no online learning for her while she was gone?
Nope. They aren't doing anything online unless the whole school goes into level 2 (or whatever they call it when they all quarantine at home)
Some teachers post a few random things on Google classroom, but there doesn't seem to be any structure to it.
It could be a lot better.
From what I've heard, other provinces are doing much better with the online stuff.

Today's Friday which means... absolutely nothing to me.
Nor me. I have 10 days to go before I get Friday.

Well then, happy Sunday?
Thanks? :laughing:
Nope. They aren't doing anything online unless the whole school goes into level 2 (or whatever they call it when they all quarantine at home)
Wow.
But in that case, they shouldn't have any trouble with kids going to school with mild colds, no?

:rolleyes:
Nor me. I have 10 days to go before I get Friday.
Totally get that. During Covid our office has been split into two crews and we each work alternating 4 day cycles. So 4 shifts on, 4 days off. That ends Nov 1st (barring any upticks in the virus, I presume). Then it should be 5 on 3 off. But a small chance of overtime in there. Also we are supposed to be getting some "fatigue management" rules imposed sometime in the fairly near future. That would require that no operational staff (like me) are allowed to work more than 9 days in a row.
A far cry from the time I worked around 150 days in a row.
And it was fairly common to do 30 or so in a row over the last few years.
How I think I look:

View attachment 529433

How I actually look:

View attachment 529432
:lmao:

Right. That's it. I'm calling it. Work week over. Everyone out. Last one standing after multiple Steaks and Molsons in Le Cellier gets to take Jeff back to the hotel room. But let me tell ya, if he says he wants to take you back and get his mouth round your buns, he means this.

Have a great weekend chaps.

Right. That's it. I'm calling it. Work week over. Everyone out. Last one standing after multiple Steaks and Molsons in Le Cellier gets to take Jeff back to the hotel room. But let me tell ya, if he says he wants to take you back and get his mouth round your buns, he means this.

View attachment 529441

:rotfl2:
Nicely done.

If a little disturbing.

Happy Friday. Or for me, just another day of work. Found out yesterday that they postponed the new 12 hour schedule until January, after the holidays, which makes sense. However, that means I get three or four days off for the rest of the calendar year. I definitely made the right decision to go elsewhere.

Thanks for everyone's updates. There's no way you are all bots or story-tellers. The information is way too relatable for me to think Disboads is some massive undertaking to collect my personal information. Anyway - from DisDad # 418 - have a great day, ya'll. ( Feeling Nostalgic, my first DisDad thread was #3 , I think...)

We fooled him. Now, someone ask for his ssn, bank account #, birth certificate, etc.

And just to prove it, here's a picture of me and the family in Disney only last year....
View attachment 529229

If you only had a heart.

Good morning and happy Friday, guys. I missed the conversation yesterday due to spending all day on the golf course in perfect weather. Got my money's worth, too, since I took as many shots as I possibly could.

Shots? Swinging the golf club or bourbon? Either way, good day.

Morning, Gents! The internet at the house is out again, so this is a quick check in from work, so I'll try and get to the quotes a little later when I have time. Well, yesterday went well. Spent most of yesterday cleaning and organizing. I do have my second interview around 12 noon eastern time, so good vibes would be appreciated. Outside that, things are going well. Chat with everyone later.

TTFN

Good luck.

View attachment 529441

It may be over for you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter