DDC XXXIV: The Original Home Of The DISDads!!!

It's been a while...

Went to WDW from February 3-6th. I found out the optimal time for chugging an alcoholic drink is approximately 5:25am CT when you're told by an airline attendant to drink it or dump it. Not me, okay. A lady in the A group for our Southwest flight. Chicago Midway newsstands aren't open yet, but you can get that eye opener you need. Those A group flyers live much livelier lives than me. I'm slumming it in the family boarding stage between A and B and having to juggle pushing four carryons down the aisle.

EPCOT was absolutely crowded with an hour wait for Yorkshire around lunchtime. Les Halles was probably more as it was an absolute crowd without a visible line. Walk on rides in August 2023 were 30-40 minute waits this trip. We ate in Morocco, so that says something about the wait times for everything else. Soarin' over California is way better than the other version that is now coming back. We rode a total of three rides. We ended up back at the SSR for an early dinner and a swim rather than wait for dinner at Garden Grill at 6pm. Touring Plans said the crowd should be around a 7. I guess everyone saw that and decided to come to the park that day to make it a double digits day.

DHS on Sunday was awesome though. Boys loved everything they rode (and we got on everything they wanted). Maxwell decided to not ride ToT, so Davy and Robin rode it with my wife instead. My wife, having studied German in high school, overheard a German couple remark that Robin was a bit small for ToT. He loved it again after having ridden it in August. He turns four next month. Absolutely love that kid and his adventurous spirit. Maxwell and I rode Star Tours twice and relived our love for Star Wars adventures. My wife and I, being encouraged by the behavior of the lady chugging her drink before the sun was rising, took our boys to Oga's at 10:35am for a beverage and snacks. Pricey, yet fun. Probably won't go again. At least not with the kids.

Sunday night, Davy and I spent some time by ourselves at Magic Kingdom while everyone else rested. We rode Space Mountain twice, the second time after it broke down and we were the guinea pigs for that first ride with people on it. We got to see Tomorrowland all lit up at night while riding the PeopleMover. We also rode PotC and it is now one of his favorites. I had to force him on it because the wait was so short and I knew he would love it. Albeit, he had already ridden it multiple times, so I'm not sure why he didn't already love it.

Magic Kingdom was a bit busy on Monday. Robin and I did our own thing and rode Small World, Barnstormer, and BTMRR while my wife took the older boys on Space Mountain. After that, Davy and I got stuck on Haunted Mansion, per the usual. It wouldn't be Haunted if you didn't get stuck. Did a few more rides, but again, the boys got tired early on.

Our last day was at Animal Kingdom. The older boys and my wife rode Flight of Passage while Robin and I hung out. He and I rode DINOSAUR and took in the sights of Pandora. We all checked out the Boneyard. All of us rode Na'vi River Journey. It's basically A Small World with Pandora characters and a lot less singing. I prefer A Small World. We then flew home later that day.

It was a nice little weekend in the World. We'll be back in May. We are already counting down the days. Sunday is 93.

It's been a while...

Went to WDW from February 3-6th. I found out the optimal time for chugging an alcoholic drink is approximately 5:25am CT when you're told by an airline attendant to drink it or dump it. Not me, okay. A lady in the A group for our Southwest flight. Chicago Midway newsstands aren't open yet, but you can get that eye opener you need. Those A group flyers live much livelier lives than me. I'm slumming it in the family boarding stage between A and B and having to juggle pushing four carryons down the aisle.

EPCOT was absolutely crowded with an hour wait for Yorkshire around lunchtime. Les Halles was probably more as it was an absolute crowd without a visible line. Walk on rides in August 2023 were 30-40 minute waits this trip. We ate in Morocco, so that says something about the wait times for everything else. Soarin' over California is way better than the other version that is now coming back. We rode a total of three rides. We ended up back at the SSR for an early dinner and a swim rather than wait for dinner at Garden Grill at 6pm. Touring Plans said the crowd should be around a 7. I guess everyone saw that and decided to come to the park that day to make it a double digits day.

DHS on Sunday was awesome though. Boys loved everything they rode (and we got on everything they wanted). Maxwell decided to not ride ToT, so Davy and Robin rode it with my wife instead. My wife, having studied German in high school, overheard a German couple remark that Robin was a bit small for ToT. He loved it again after having ridden it in August. He turns four next month. Absolutely love that kid and his adventurous spirit. Maxwell and I rode Star Tours twice and relived our love for Star Wars adventures. My wife and I, being encouraged by the behavior of the lady chugging her drink before the sun was rising, took our boys to Oga's at 10:35am for a beverage and snacks. Pricey, yet fun. Probably won't go again. At least not with the kids.

Sunday night, Davy and I spent some time by ourselves at Magic Kingdom while everyone else rested. We rode Space Mountain twice, the second time after it broke down and we were the guinea pigs for that first ride with people on it. We got to see Tomorrowland all lit up at night while riding the PeopleMover. We also rode PotC and it is now one of his favorites. I had to force him on it because the wait was so short and I knew he would love it. Albeit, he had already ridden it multiple times, so I'm not sure why he didn't already love it.

Magic Kingdom was a bit busy on Monday. Robin and I did our own thing and rode Small World, Barnstormer, and BTMRR while my wife took the older boys on Space Mountain. After that, Davy and I got stuck on Haunted Mansion, per the usual. It wouldn't be Haunted if you didn't get stuck. Did a few more rides, but again, the boys got tired early on.

Our last day was at Animal Kingdom. The older boys and my wife rode Flight of Passage while Robin and I hung out. He and I rode DINOSAUR and took in the sights of Pandora. We all checked out the Boneyard. All of us rode Na'vi River Journey. It's basically A Small World with Pandora characters and a lot less singing. I prefer A Small World. We then flew home later that day.

It was a nice little weekend in the World. We'll be back in May. We are already counting down the days. Sunday is 93.
Summer time is a lot less crowded than January through May. Weekends are crowded in those months because alot of locals are in the parks. Marathons, dance, cheer groups all come in during the “winter and spring” months. During these months it can go shoulder to shoulder one day to very low crowds the next, usually Tue -Thu.
Touring APS are ok, but, don’t be suprised.
Back in the 70s and 80s there were entire months with low crowds. I have pictures of world showcase in the mid 80s in the middle of the day and there is nobody in the picture. lol.
Disney has done a fine job of filling their parks all year around despite what you read on the internet that nobody is coming back. I know, I know, Epic universe is going to put Disney out of business, just like Harry Potter did.
People can’t figure out how it’s to expensive, the Magic is gone but the place is packed. lol.

Summer time is a lot less crowded than January through May. Weekends are crowded in those months because alot of locals are in the parks. Marathons, dance, cheer groups all come in during the “winter and spring” months. During these months it can go shoulder to shoulder one day to very low crowds the next, usually Tue -Thu.
Touring APS are ok, but, don’t be suprised.
Back in the 70s and 80s there were entire months with low crowds. I have pictures of world showcase in the mid 80s in the middle of the day and there is nobody in the picture. lol.
Disney has done a fine job of filling their parks all year around despite what you read on the internet that nobody is coming back. I know, I know, Epic universe is going to put Disney out of business, just like Harry Potter did.
People can’t figure out how it’s to expensive, the Magic is gone but the place is packed. lol.
I reached the point where I figured if I just expect high heat, high crowds, and high prices, I'm never disappointed.

Yup. I always plan on it and set my expectations. And we still have an amazing time. I cant afford to go every year like I would like but we make the best of it each time when we can go.
I still grumble about the prices, and how hard they make it for large families like mine to be able to go. But the reality is that I still have a love for Disney parks and a desire to see them. I just don't go as often as I would if it were more affordable. That's about all I can do.

Hey, guys! How's things going with everyone? Things are well here on my end. No trips to the World planned anytime soon, though I did tell the wife I'd love to go back. Her response? "You were just there?" I was half-joking, but I also planted the idea of of going down there with my brother and his family in a couple of years. So no trips planned yet, but I'm working on it. Have a good day, guys.

Happy Leap Day!!!

Last edited:
Hey guys, finally getting out of winter here in central Florida and warming up, almost time to turn the pool heater on! Home alone since Sunday. The kid is at the, I guess we can say, here future fiancés house since Saturday then on her way to vacation capital of the world on Friday for a long week. (Tourist)
I head back to the airport to Uber the wife back home.
No trips in the near future are planned, haven’t even been on property as a tourist in three weeks and it’s a 17 mile drive, to peoplely this time of year. lol.
I too grumble about the prices but Mr. Winn Dixie, Mr.Shell, Mr. Duke Energy, Polk county tax collector and others don’t give a flop and could care less so life goes on.
I was reading on FB about ticket prices going up, a young man asked, “ what extra value did they add to justify a price increase?” lol. I was going to reply but I didn’t with, “ I don’t know son, those eggs that were 90 cents a dozen taste a lot like the $3.50 a dozens eggs today, Move out of your parent’s basement.
Luckily, I didn’t work yesterday, the first day of FnG Festival. A bit busier than normal. I worked Tuesday night and we were ready to go for rope drop Wednesday and the guest didn’t disappoint.
Anyway, off to the local home center for the next project.
OH, big news!!!!!! People are ticked off!!!! The Dennys on Rt192 is out of sausage!!! Can you believe it!!! The Waffle House has a line to be seated now! lol.
Have a good day!

Back for my yearly fatherly advice particularly to you younger folks...March is colorectal cancer awareness month. The recommended screening age has been dropped to 45 because the rate of colorectal cancer is increasing fastest in the under-50 age group. While a colonoscopy is the "gold standard", people at average risk do not have to have that done. There are less invasive procedures that can be done and should. If you have a family history or concerns request a colonoscopy. 9 years ago today I checked out of the hospital after having a third of my colon removed at 50 years old. No symptoms other than being a little tired, and slightly anemic. Thankfully a new intern at the family practice suggested I get my "Happy 50th Birthday" colonoscopy. It saved my life. If you don't do it for yourself, do it for those that you love and are depending on you.

Back for my yearly fatherly advice particularly to you younger folks...March is colorectal cancer awareness month. The recommended screening age has been dropped to 45 because the rate of colorectal cancer is increasing fastest in the under-50 age group. While a colonoscopy is the "gold standard", people at average risk do not have to have that done. There are less invasive procedures that can be done and should. If you have a family history or concerns request a colonoscopy. 9 years ago today I checked out of the hospital after having a third of my colon removed at 50 years old. No symptoms other than being a little tired, and slightly anemic. Thankfully a new intern at the family practice suggested I get my "Happy 50th Birthday" colonoscopy. It saved my life. If you don't do it for yourself, do it for those that you love and are depending on you.
As my father reminds me "you gotta take care of yourself so you can take care of everyone else"

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter