DDP or DDE?

starwood

This mouse GOT her next cruise
Here is my dilemma. I'm trying to decide if I should get the DDP for 4 days or if I should upgrade our park hoppers to AP's and spend the $60 to get the DDE. We get $100 off the AP's with DVC. I'm not positive we will be going back within a year (although I want to). We're going in July and I would like to go back around April next year for a week (if I can talk DH into it - he doesn't like to plan that far in advance).

DS and I have 5 days left on our non-expiring park hopping myway passes. DH has 4 days.

I've tried crunching numbers but I'm getting dizzy! :crazy:

AND - can DDE be used for discount on breakfast, lunch or only dinner?

DDE can only be used in sit down restaurants, not at most counter service restaurants.

You can use it for B, L or D. You can also use it for drinks.

Good luck deciding!

DDE can only be used in sit down restaurants, not any counter service restaurants.

It can be used at some counter service. We used ours at POFQ food court and Flame Tree BBQ. I think if there is no TS restaurant around, the CS will accept it. Tusker House and the other CS in AK also accept it.

We found with the amount of food we eat, the DDE was a better value. If we had a TS lunch or buffet breakfast, we just weren't hungry at dinner. We would either just split an entree or order a house salad or soup. We bought the AP's because we were planning on going back around Christmas, but with Free Dining, we moved that up to August. :cheer2: I'm planning on 2 TS's where we have to use 2 credits apiece (Hoop-Dee-Doo and Artist Point), so if we have to pay OOP, we can still use the DDE.

It really depends on how your family eats. DDE is good at most TS restaurants and a few counter service--the ones in AK seem to be on the list. Remember that DDE does not include the tax or tip (DDP does).

We have DVC with the annual passes this year. Your park hoppers won't expire--you can save them for another trip after the AP runs out. A further alternative would be to purchase just one AP in order to get the DDE. That would enable you to buy the DDE without as much cash outlay at this point. Of course, whether or not this is good depends on what you do in April. The "break even" point with the DVC discount is about 10 days. If you will use less park time than this, the park hoppers will cost less.

The other factor is the age of your child and whether they will eat off the adult or child's menu. An 11 year old who orders off the child's menu is a "loss" on the DDP. His TS on DDE will be discounted even if he orders off the kid's menu. Of course he will be charged as an adult at character meals.

If it helps, our bill for character dinners for 3 on DDE was $71.42, then add the tip. Of course, character meals are among the least expensive TS. DDP for the 3 of us (it wasn't available to DVC then) would have been $114. I looked at our Dec. trip as to whether DDE or DDP would have been better--it came out really close.

So many ways to look at this that it makes MY head spin.

DS is 13 and definitely WON'T eat off children's menu. I estimated a price at Coral Reef for lunch on DDP for $128.94 not including tax and tip - but it's a lot of food.

The only reason for upgrading the park hoppers is to lower the AP costs. I estimate I could get 1 AP for $196 by upgrading or $588 for 3. It would cost approx $330 (I forget the exact amount).

We got the DDE, but we knew that we would use it for at least 3 visits. Just a few things to consider:

Are you staying in a 1 BR or studio? If I was staying in a studio and not sure if I was going to return to WDW within a year, I would get the DDP. If I was in a 1 BR (which we almost always get), I would probably get the DDE and it would be a no-brainer if we were going to be able to use the DDE for another visit. In fact we are going to WDW this Saturday and we are staying with friends in a 2 bedroom and we did not get the DDP. We use the kitchen in the 1 BR for at least 1 and usually 2 meals a day. My ideal would be to stay in a studio for 5 days with the DDP and then switch to a 1 BR for 5 more days and use the DDE.

Sometimes decisions are fun!

We're staying in a studio but I usually make coffee and get some snack foods for breakfast. I would be more inclined to have breakfast out if it were covered on the DDE.

But breakfast is covered on the DDE. Usually at sit downs though. Which resort are you staying at?

"Sit down" breakfasts are covered on DDE--like the character breakfast at Cape May Cafe. Items bought at the Marketplace at Beach Club are not covered. You should also be aware that there are some specified holidays when you cannot use DDE, but it doesn't sound like you are going to hit those on this trip.

I'm getting DDP for this trip even though we have a valid DDE. I tabulated my expected expenses, and it will come out about even. My thinking is that with the DDP, my (teen) DD can order whatever she wants and I don't have to cringe thinking of the cost. That will be a treat for her.

After a long talk with DH today (he's in West Palm right now) he would rather do DDP. He doesn't want to commit to another trip within the 1 year period. He said if we lived closer where we could just hop in the car and drive for a day or 2 he would consider the DDE. :sad2:

Well next year we will need to buy more tickets so maybe I can talk him into AP's then.

I wanted to add that this is not to say that he won't change his mind next month and decide to go for the DDE. :rolleyes1

Thanks for all your help and I'll let you know how it works out in the end.

kcashner said:
...A further alternative would be to purchase just one AP in order to get the DDE. That would enable you to buy the DDE without as much cash outlay at this point....
I was going to make this point but I was sure it had to be in someone's post already.... :thumbsup2

Have you costed this option out?

I think you made the right decision. I will try out DDP this Sept when we take advantage of the free dining-but we will be at a value resort, should be interesting.. Enjoy! :cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter