DDP review with cost analysis & bit more. 12/8-12/17/06

yecats

Living to vacation.
Cast of characters:
Me - 36 yr old disneyholic
Maw-Maw Emma - waiting to eat, eat and eat some more (she is still only
110 lbs after all this eating)
Paw-Paw Curt - gained weight like I did during experience.
GPs - means both Emma and Curts (grandparents) thoughts.

Food level: 1* lowest level, food not good with 5* as the best tasting meal.

Prelude: I go to disney about every other year or so and have had a full dining experience there. My GPs haven't been to Disney in 23 years and wanted a full experience. I know that my GPs love to cruise as I do and I feel as though when your on the DDP you aren't going to starve and have a huge selection of various places to eat with many food options like you would get on a cruise so we bought the DDP. I have to say WE HAD A TON OF FOOD ON THE DDP! I couldn't express that enough we had plenty of food and now need TO DIET! Of additional note, most breakfast throughout our trip was eaten in our rooms as we brought cereal and grits along.

12/8/06:
This was our first full day at Disney but as all rooms were booked this day we had to stay offsite and DDP was not allowed on this day but this is where we ate and the cost for same.

Beaches & Creams (1:30 am, Yacht & Beach Club):
$43 (paid with reward $$s)
Food 3* with dessert being 5*
Me - Hamburger with onion rings. Very good.
Emma - Chicken sandwich. Very good.
Curt - Hamburger with fries. Very good.
We all split 1 No Way Jose which was excellent. My GPs stated
at the end of our trip that they wouldn't have minded eating here again.

Kona Cafe (5:00 adr, Poly resort, 10 minute wait):
$96 (paid with reward $$s)
Food was 4*
Me - Ceasar Salad, Prime Rib (Med.)with Mashed Pot & veggies.
Emma - Kona Salad, Prime Rib (well done) with same sides
Curt - Crab cakes, Prime Rib (well done) with same sides
All appetizers were good, bread and dip were served at the table (olive oil
dip didn't have a taste to it). Prime rib was cooked to order and good,
mashed pot served was a huge pile on each plate and the only thing we
all agreed we didn't enjoy was the veggies as they weren't cooked all the
way through. We did not order any dessert as we were too full.

We checked in at CSR the morning of 12/9/06 which is when our DDP began:

21 Table Service Credits
21 Counter Service credits and
21 Snack Credits

Total amount paid for 3 people on DDP, 3 x $40 p/d x 7 day PH ticket =$840
Actual cost of all meals eaten if we would've paid out of pocket = $1,200
Plan saved us $360

Of additional note tI averaged a cost for the 21 snacks as most of our snacks ranged in the $3.00 to $3.50 range with a few of the snacks at $2.25 or $2.50 and a few right at the $4 mark. We were allowed to us the snack credits at Panchito's in CSR and bought the boxes of cookies, doughnuts and 1/2 gallon of milk which were all at the $4 mark.

12/9/06: First day on DDP

Coral Reef (Seas, 2:00 pm Candlelight Processional Lunch adr) CP at 5:00 PM
20 minute wait
Cost charged to plan: $146
Food Level 4*
Me - Shrimp cocktail, NY Strip with pot. and veggies and chocolate cake
Emma - Shrimp co., grilled chicken breast and cheesecake
Curt - Shrimp co., grilled chickn breast and upsidedown pineapple cake
We all thought the atmosphere was wonderful (great place if your looking
for a romantic place) and CM server was wonderful and stopped to talk to
us several times with refills (left additional tip for him). Only comment is
again the veggies served one everyone's plate weren't fully cooked.

We were stuffed for most of the night because of this meal and stopped at Norway's Bakery to get something to munch on including 2 Apple Danish, 1 Cinnamon Roll, 1 Coffee and 2 Hot Chocolates and paid for this using rewards card $19.00

CSR at Panchito's later that night we used snack credits for:
1/2 gallon of milk, box of cookies and doughnuts - $12.00

12/10/06

Seasons (Land at 11:30 am)
$44 charged to DDP
food level was about 1 1/2*
All 3 of us had Ham and Provolone cheese on that thick Italian bread and got 3 cheesecakes as dessert (they would allow you to get the melon fruit as a dessert). The ham didn't have much of a taste and the bread was too thick and cheesecake was just okay. None of us really enjoyed this meal.

Liberty Tree Tavern (MK, adr for 4:00 pm, 5 minute wait)
$105 charged to dining plan
Food = 3 1/2 *
All you care to eat buffet served at table which we all enjoyed and think of this as one of the places that cookes like you would at home. Nothing left over on plates and GPs did enjoy the meal and meeting the characters who really hugged Emma a lot as she was in her wheelchair.

Waiting for wishes we did get 3 snacks of 2 popcorn and 1 mickey ice cream all around $9.

12/11/06:

Pizza Planet (MGM)
$38 charged to ddp
Food = 2*
We all had the pepperoni pizzas with salads and drinks and desserts of cookie, ricekrispy treat and bag of chips. The pizza was just okay and not the best - we didn't particularly like the taste of the tomato sauce used on it. It was very windy outside where we were eating and plenty of things (napkins and utensils) were being picked up and thrown around by the wind.

Hollywood & Vine (MGM, 20 min. wait)
$90 charged to ddp
Food = 4*
All you can eat serve yourself buffet. There is something there for everyone and it all has a good taste to it (I've never had a bad meal there yet). We all enjoyed it and had a little bit of every dessert as they are in small silf serve sizes.

12/12/06

Whispering Canyon Cafe (Wilderness Lodge, seated immediately)
$97 charged to ddp
Food = 4 1/2 *
Me & Emma - Nachos, Fried Chicken and pot. and chocolate cake
Curt - All you Can Eat Skillet (ribs, chicken, suasage) & cheesecake
Friend Stacie - All you can eat skillet
Stacie's daughter Amber - hamburger and fries with ice cream
We all loved the food and atmosphere here (Copperhead was our waitress, sorry for calling you coppertop) and she threw napkins and straws at us and there were a few announcements and other activities going on around us whil we ate here. The nachos served as an appetizer were a meal in itself and none of us could finish them. We left with food and desserts. This was really a lot of food and Curt and Stacie stated the ribs were the best they had in a long time.

We ate our desserts later in the night at MK as we were in for the MVMCP. We did get another snack or two in the park (I know my grandparents got a dolewhip and I think I got a cookie ice cream sandwich) which totaled around $14.

12/13/06

We were tired of eating breakfast in the room at this point so decided to eat breakfast at the Pepper Market.

Pepper Market (CSR):
$36 Total to ddp, paid $8 for rashers of bacon and sausage
Food = 3*
Me - Waffle with bacon
Emma - Waffle with sausage with banana topping
Curt - Egg Combo with sausage and muffin
We all felt breakfast was average but good (egg combo did have a lot of food). The CM server was not the best and took about 10 minutes to come to our table to take drink order (GPs were up getting there food while I waited at the table). We saw him only once and then we went and refilled our own drinks at that point. This was the only bad experience that we had here.

We stopped and got snacks in MGM in afternoon and then headed back to room for snack or eating yesterdays leftovers and a much needed nap.

L'Originale Alfredo's (Epcot in Italy, adr for 7:00 and waited 10 minutes)
$143 total for ddp
Food = 3*
Me - Fet. Alfredo appetizer, Sirloin Steak & chocolate mousse
Emma - Fett. Alfredo appetizer, roasted lamb & a dessert (can't recall)
Curt - Fett. Alfredo appetizer, Sirloin Steak & strawberry mousse
Curt thought Fett. Alfredo appetizer was wonderful but Emma and I didn't particularly think it was great but it was just okay. Steaks were good but rest of pot. and veggies were average. Emma thought her lamb tasted like old goat and didn't eat half of what was there (she never leaves food on her plate which said a lot to me and Curt). Dessert was good and service was fine but I don't think I will be eating there again as I don't think it was worth the money even when it was included on the dining plan.

12/14/06

Flametree BBQ (AK around 1:30)
$44 on the ddp
Food = 3*
Me - Baked 1/2 chicken, beans, corn, chocolate cake and snack credit used
for basket of onion rings to split with GPs
Emma - 1/2 slab of ribs, beans, corn, chocolate cake
Curt - Pulled pork sandwich with beans, corn and key lime pie
We all thought the food was good and enjoyed the meal. The problem was it was raining and everyone was sitting underneath the covers and it took us quite some time to find a spot and before we did one of the drinks had spilled all over Emma in the wheelchair.

Your not going to believe this but I cancelled and 8:40 Le Cellier adr. It was still raining that night when we went back to the room at 5 to take a break and as we dealt with the rain all day we decided to eat at Maya Grill instead.

Maya Grill (CSR, 7:45 adr, seated immediately)
$150 on DDP
Food = 4*
Me - Shrimp appetizer, ribeye with baked pot and creme' brulee
Emma & Curt - Shrimp appetizer, snapper with roasted pot. & cr. brulee
They serve bread and a very zesty olive oil dip and between that and all the food it was a lot to eat and we did enjoy it. We took our desserts back to the room and ate them for breakfast the next morning.

12/15/06

Garden Grill (Epcot, The Land adr for 3 pm with 15 minute wait)
$80 to the DDP
Food = 3 1/2 star
An all you eat buffet served to your table and we did order more of the fish. GPs enjoyed the home style food (did hit the spot) but once again the veggies weren't cooked all the way. Service and character interaction were very good as was dessert. Never had a bad meal here either.

We were going to eat at Pepper Market later but both GM and myself were very tired and not very hungry so we just ate snacks.

Pepper Market
$13 on the DDP
Food = 2 1/2*
Curt - Hamburger and fries with muffin for dessert. Stated was you average hamburger with a ton of steak fries.

12/16/06

This was our last day and at this point we had 8 counter service coupons left and 3 snack credits left

Pepper Market (CSR)
$26 on the ddp
Food = 3*
Emma and Curt - Egg Combo's with sausage and biscuits
I had a muffin which was on the snack credit.

Starlite Cafe (MK)
$40 on the ddp
Food = 2*
Your basic chicken strips and sandwiches for all. We all choose the carrot cake as the dessert and it was very good.

Pepper Market (CSR our car and luggage were still here)
$70 on the ddp
Food = 3 1/2*
Me - Prime Rib with fries and muffin to take on the road
Emma - Stir Fry beef with danish for the road
Curt - Italian sandwich with chips and danish for the road.
Overall we did like the food at the Pepper Market and there was certainly plenty of it on the plate.

Overall thoughts: If you truly want a good dining experience you can have one on the dining plan and it certainly is a lot of food. Sorry this is so long but we were there for 10 days and never ate anyplace twice except at the Pepper Market. Let me know if you have any questions.

Enjoyed reading your reviews ~ Thanx for sharing.

Thanx for sharing ! I am glad the veggies are maintaining a little crisp texture. I dont like them soft and mushy, other than potatoes :blush:

thanks for the good reviews...i also wondered about the undercooked veggies...were they "stir-fry like" crisp or "hard as rock not cooked at all" crisp? :)

Thanks for sharing your reviews, I enjoyed reading them. :tinker:

Thanks for the reviews, the length was fine.

Many places in the US will serve mutton (old sheep) when they advertise lamb, which might be the source of the comment that it tasted like old goat. I avoided "lamb" for years after my first bad experience until I tasted true lamb.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter