DD's HS Graduation Present- Update!

CaliforniaDreamin

<font color=deeppink>DIS Veteran (and then some)<b
HELP! The only idea I had for a present for her, she shot down. I wanted to get her a Tiffany silver bracelet with her initials engraved on it, but she doesn't care for jewelry so DH made me run it by her first before spending the money. And of course, she said no. She doesn't really need anything. I'm looking for something more of a sentimental nature than practical. In other words, no cash or gift cards. Something that will last. HELP! :headache:

Update: I called the furniture store that is 20 miles away, and they can special order the hope chest (Bountiful 3 by Lane http://homewayfurniture.com/Item.aspx?ItemID=1246305530&ItemNum=2592-26-CD )
for $435!!! And it's free delivery since we are in the 50 mile radius! So, I just need DH to look at it, and I am going to go ahead and order it. And this saves me enough money where I can still to a t shirt quilt. I may get the lap blanket size instead of the twin size. Thank you Disers!!!!

Well . . . of course my suggestion would be to take her on a Disney trip :) That is if she like Disney. If not, somewhere where she likes. Give her a special pendant or ring while there.

I got a trip (I had the choice of several destinations and was able to bring a friend if I wanted to) and nice luggage as my high school graduation gift from my parents.

Recent graduation gifts that have been given by people I know have been things like engraved ipads or ipods, a nice watch, a laptop, a T-shirt quilt made out of band shirts from throughout high school (I would have loved this when I was graduating!) and designer purses.

Send her to Europe or East Asia or wherever overseas she wants to go for the summer. Tell her you'll buy the airline ticket and a rail pass or what have you and she can start saving now to pay for incidentals/hostels and stuff.

I make t-shirt blankets!

Export0015.jpg

I am SERIOUSLY thinking about the t-shirt quilt. I have already "stolen" a bunch of her tshirts from past to present.

She is tired of Disney (can you imagine!). The only trip she wants to take is Myrtle Beach for Senior Week, and I don't want to pay for that because it's just not special enough. She did not inherit the travel bug from me. :confused3

I am really thinking about the t-shirt quilt, esp since so many of you recommend it! Thank you!!

This is amazing! DD cheered from 3rd grade to this year so I have a ton of cheer shirts!

I do have one recommendation if you choose to go this route. Using the shirts for the quilt obviously destroys them, so be sure she isn't going to be upset that she can't wear the shirts any longer before you do this. I posted that I would have loved one of those quilts, and I really would have (in fact, I still have lots of high school/college shirts that I keep meaning to have made into a quilt) but I would have been really sad if I couldn't have kept wearing a couple of my shirts. That wouldn't be an issue for any that are too small or otherwise unwearable, but I wouldn't want to use any that she currently wears unless I was sure she'd be okay with not being able to wear them again.

If I end up doing one of these with my son's band shirts, I plan to give him a certificate for it rather than having the quilt made up ahead of time. Many of the places that make them will allow you to choose your own layout for the shirts (so your favorite ones are in the center, for example) as well as the trim color, any borders, etc. I personally would want my child to make those choices himself and also weed out any shirts that he'd prefer to keep as shirts.

If the quilt idea does not pan out,
does she like to read?

I got a really nice leather bound and gold embossed set of some of my favourite books for High School graduation. I love them and still have them (and almost NOTHING crossed the ocean with us ;)).

I went to Disney with the extended family for my parent's HS graduation gift (11 of us total)! It was absolutely wonderful!

Maybe if she doesn't have a bedspread yet, get one from PBTeen? They have something where she can customize (Mix and match) her sheets and duvet cover online, and they have models are made specifically for dorm beds. Plus their designs are very unique. It would be a nice treat! (She can also have her initials on it).

I got a couple of really nice and personalized gifts for my graduation along the lines of the tshirt blanket. One was a tie blanket with my university's logo and colors. The other gift was a body pillow with all sorts of instruments on it (I'm a music ed major). I still use the body pillow and blanket constantly. :cloud9:

I went to Disney with the extended family for my parent's HS graduation gift (11 of us total)! It was absolutely wonderful!

Maybe if she doesn't have a bedspread yet, get one from PBTeen? They have something where she can customize (Mix and match) her sheets and duvet cover online, and they have models are made specifically for dorm beds. Plus their designs are very unique. It would be a nice treat! (She can also have her initials on it).

I got a couple of really nice and personalized gifts for my graduation along the lines of the tshirt blanket. One was a tie blanket with my university's logo and colors. The other gift was a body pillow with all sorts of instruments on it (I'm a music ed major). I still use the body pillow and blanket constantly. :cloud9:

My aunt and uncle took me on my first trip to WDW for my high school graduation.

She is looking at a new bedspread from The Company Store...I need to mention PBTeen, they have great stuff.

I'm being careful with the shirts I'm picking out. One is a Jonas Bros tour shirt from a concert a few years ago. Of course, she has moved on from them, but I think this would be a good one. The only thing I'm worried about is she doesn't have a senior t shirt yet. I would want one so badly in a quilt. Class of 2012. I suppose I could actually buy one and ask for it to be in the center. That's a good idea, huh?

My aunt and uncle took me on my first trip to WDW for my high school graduation.

She is looking at a new bedspread from The Company Store...I need to mention PBTeen, they have great stuff.

I'm being careful with the shirts I'm picking out. One is a Jonas Bros tour shirt from a concert a few years ago. Of course, she has moved on from them, but I think this would be a good one. The only thing I'm worried about is she doesn't have a senior t shirt yet. I would want one so badly in a quilt. Class of 2012. I suppose I could actually buy one and ask for it to be in the center. That's a good idea, huh?

Word of the wise....DO NOT DESTROY CONCERT TEES...that is all.

My college dd wore her "Backstreet Boys" t-shirt at one of her sorority parties this past yr for "retro 90's" party.;)

And also, I could kick myself for getting rid of some of my old concert T's...off to weep now.:sad1:

The two best things I got when I graduated were: a Swiss Army knife and a large canvas tote bag (like the ones from Lands End or LL Bean, but from somewhere else) with my initials. Very useful and both long lasting. (and I graduated in 1980).

My DD graduated last year and we took her on a trip to Disney. We left right after graduation and it was a blast. That's what she had asked for and I am so glad that we did it.

My parents gave her a set of luggage. Dh's parents gave her a new computer and of course she had lots of cash and a few "2011" things from other friends and family.

Looking back now, I wish I had made a t-shirt quilt for her. Now that I have this idea in mind, and I have a DD about to go to HS next year, I will be saving her t shirts to do this for her. I also have a little boy to think of too. I just really love this idea but I wish I had thought about it earlier.

Word of the wise....DO NOT DESTROY CONCERT TEES...that is all.

My college dd wore her "Backstreet Boys" t-shirt at one of her sorority parties this past yr for "retro 90's" party.;)

And also, I could kick myself for getting rid of some of my old concert T's...off to weep now.:sad1:

You are so right. Ok, for her favorite band, The Maine, I went to their website and purchased a tour shirt to a concert, also for Warped Tour 2011 that she went to. I will look on eBay for the Jonas Bros.

Also, I went to mylocker.com and created her high school 2012 tshirt. I'm excited!

Just a note: I already purchased "Oh, The Places You'll Go" by Dr. Seuss.

DD graduates this year too. For her party I am making a video montage of pictures of her growing up and putting it to some of her favorite songs. One song I am going to get pictures of all the people that have helped her through life and will be there for her in the years to come. I think I'll get a frame and download a lot of the photos so she can take them with her.

I love the quilt idea!

Just a note: I already purchased "Oh, The Places You'll Go" by Dr. Seuss.

Thank you! I forgot about this wonderful treasure!!!

ps My DD is getting a WDW trip with 3 of her friends, we are paying for the hotel and DD's expenses. Her friends are paying for their own air & expenses.

I got a laptop, luggage, and a trip. I also had a graduation party with a fancy cake-- it was what I was most excited about! :laughing:

The t-shirt quilt is a cute idea!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter