Dear Disney: can you please do something about the height requirement inconsistencies?

This right here!! :worship:
And by manage my kid’s expectations, it will be to teach them that Disney does not provide the level of customer service they once did so don’t expect anything better than anywhere else (and in some cases it may be worse).

And by manage my kid’s expectations, it will be to teach them that Disney does not provide the level of customer service they once did so don’t expect anything better than anywhere else (and in some cases it may be worse).
Sounds like a plan! :thumbsup2

The measurement should be done before you even get in the park. Something you could take care of ahead of time and your child's height gets taken by a CM and logged on their magic band somehow or they are given a special wrist band. Not sure, but that way, your child's height is taken only once and that's the end of it. That way, the parents can plan ahead and the children know what they can and can't ride ahead of time and there's no inconsistencies while in the parks.

This happened to us with our youngest when we tried to take her on slinky dog. She passed the first height test but then right as we were boarding, one of the CM's got out the stick and took a long time going back and forth about whether or not she was tall enough. He was literally holding up the whole line and ride. I totally get the need for safety checks and I definitely don't want to put my child in harm's way but it was a little silly. He ended up letting her ride.

The measurement should be done before you even get in the park. Something you could take care of ahead of time and your child's height gets taken by a CM and logged on their magic band somehow or they are given a special wrist band. Not sure, but that way, your child's height is taken only once and that's the end of it. That way, the parents can plan ahead and the children know what they can and can't ride ahead of time and there's no inconsistencies while in the parks.

This happened to us with our youngest when we tried to take her on slinky dog. She passed the first height test but then right as we were boarding, one of the CM's got out the stick and took a long time going back and forth about whether or not she was tall enough. He was literally holding up the whole line and ride. I totally get the need for safety checks and I definitely don't want to put my child in harm's way but it was a little silly. He ended up letting her ride.
only problem is you can let another child who is too short use the band. just like letting another use your band.

Wouldn’t a centralized measuring system with wrist bands stop this? If the kid looks small and doesn’t have a band, CM should measure. If they do have a band, the kid should ride. Done. Simple.
Disney uses bands for hard ticket parties. They obviously trust that system because money is involved. And we all know how much the mouse loves money!
as others have said parents would take band from child who was tall enough and put on child who was too short. Magic Bands wouldn't work either as they can be traded to let someone ride while someone else doesn't want to

as others have said parents would take band from child who was tall enough and put on child who was too short. Magic Bands wouldn't work either as they can be traded to let someone ride while someone else doesn't want to
As I’ve said, they now make wrist bands that can only be removed with scissors, once tightened. It’s not rocket science.

As I’ve said, they now make wrist bands that can only be removed with scissors, once tightened. It’s not rocket science.
from what I have seen working at a small park if there is a will there is a way. had parents come back to our measuring station complaining band is too tight need a new one made larger. first one would spin on child's wrist but parent was like you can put a finger in there so it is too tight. so what seems so easy isn't always

from what I have seen working at a small park if there is a will there is a way. had parents come back to our measuring station complaining band is too tight need a new one made larger. first one would spin on child's wrist but parent was like you can put a finger in there so it is too tight. so what seems so easy isn't always
Two things.

1. Disney already uses wrist bands for other things. If they felt they were getting ripped off by having people swap them, they would change the system. They love money.

2. A centralized measuring (can be at parks, hotels, many locations to ease traffic), would also come with a waiver. Parents would sign off on "I acknowledge my child's height is appropriate for all rides 40 inches and below" or something like that. Then if a parent is able to magically get the wristband swapped and something happens to the child, Disney is protected.

Win-win-win
Borderline taller kids win
Disney has legal protection if parents abuse system
Cast members at rides have responsibility / stress taken away

You can use hairspray and tape, when I was in college, people (not me of course) would use the lick and stick method (lick the stamp and then transfer it to the hand of the other person). There are a bunch of other methods out there.
I agree. It needs to be something more physical like a wristband. You can definitely transfer stamps. Or at least you could back when I was younger. Also stamps wear off (water rides, sweat, rain, showers). A wristband is something that can be worn the whole trip, without having to get re-measured constantly.

You can use hairspray and tape, when I was in college, people (not me of course) would use the lick and stick method (lick the stamp and then transfer it to the hand of the other person). There are a bunch of other methods out there.

Thanks, guess that counts as my learn something new everyday item. I had no idea.

Then the employee could say sorry, no band for you. When Hershey did it, it was optional.

Then the employee could say sorry, no band for you. When Hershey did it, it was optional.
Yep. Employees put the bands on. Totally optional for parents, but if kid doesn't have the band, Disney reserves the right to measure and re-measure at any and all rides.

This topic comes up often here on the DIS. There are articles on the internet about it as well. Everyone has their opinion on it, which is perfectly fine. Until Disney changes their policy, parents need to prepare kids who are borderline prior to the trip (Maybe don’t get their hopes up and have a backup plan). It’s the only option “at this time”.
Let Disney know your concerns and maybe they will give the wristband route another try.

Check out my wristband link on the first page. Those bands are all but impossible to take off once tightened, without scissors.

And yet I have an intact one sitting on my dresser. It is no where near impossible to get one off. Fairly easy in fact.

Let Disney know your concerns
Couldn't agree more with this. People should post and discuss here, but they should also contact Disney directly. I'd also be shocked if Disney didn't have someone who follows these boards (and other sites). It's a wealth of free surveys for them.

Two things.

1. Disney already uses wrist bands for other things. If they felt they were getting ripped off by having people swap them, they would change the system. They love money.

2. A centralized measuring (can be at parks, hotels, many locations to ease traffic), would also come with a waiver. Parents would sign off on "I acknowledge my child's height is appropriate for all rides 40 inches and below" or something like that. Then if a parent is able to magically get the wristband swapped and something happens to the child, Disney is protected.

Win-win-win
Borderline taller kids win
Disney has legal protection if parents abuse system
Cast members at rides have responsibility / stress taken away

#1. Disney uses wrist bands for parties in which everyone has to wear them. And they don't check anything with them but the fact you have one on. And they stop checking during the parties after a while. Not near the same as a safety check which much be done each and every time someone rides a ride.

#2 A centralized measuring area, which would mean hiring more CMs (which already seems to be a problem) paying those CMs (yay another excuse for a price hike!) and more precious time wasted for those with little kids.

Not to mention Disney has already tried and rejected what you want. It apparently didn't work well enough.

Doesn't sound anything like a win-win-win.

Maybe focus all of this energy on finding a way besides wrist bands to somehow pre-measure a child.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter