Dear Disney: can you please do something about the height requirement inconsistencies?

And yet I have an intact one sitting on my dresser. It is no where near impossible to get one off. Fairly easy in fact.
Look, there are already people who put lifts in their kids shoes, sneak kids into lines or go behind CM's backs. The current system doesn't stop them. So yes, these same people can look for the "hack" to swap the band. The overwhelming majority of people would be using this system to prove their kid is tall enough. But, let's just say the parents swap the band, as long as Disney also incorporates a waiver system, they will be liable for any harm to their kid. As of now the burden is very murky with CMs in charge with non-universal measuring.

If the current system doesn't stop the cheaters, why not make the system more friendly to kids who are tall enough? In the end, cheaters will cheat. But "of height" kids shouldn't have to suffer because of them.

Look, there are already people who put lifts in their kids shoes, sneak kids into lines or go behind CM's backs. The current system doesn't stop them. So yes, these same people can look for the "hack" to swap the band. The overwhelming majority of people would be using this system to prove their kid is tall enough. But, let's just say the parents swap the band, as long as Disney also incorporates a waiver system, they will be liable for any harm to their kid. As of now the burden is very murky with CMs in charge with non-universal measuring.

If the current system doesn't stop the cheaters, why not make the system more friendly to kids who are tall enough? In the end, cheaters will cheat. But "of height" kids shouldn't have to suffer because of them.

A waiver wouldn't stop someone from suing, and winning, at least in the court of public opinion. And I'm sure it would make no one feel better if a child did get injured because their parents were able to sneak them on a ride they had no business being on.

This seems to have turned into a Wrist Bands are the Only Solution thread. Even though they are not, for many reasons given. So I'm out.

A waiver wouldn't stop someone from suing, and winning, at least in the court of public opinion. And I'm sure it would make no one feel better if a child did get injured because their parents were able to sneak them on a ride they had no business being on.
Do you have a solution?

Or is it just "too bad, so sad?"

If this was some one day carnival, I don't think most people in this situation would care. A Disney trip is something entirely different. Parents save for years to be able do one. They make plans around parks and rides (60 days in advance). They know how tall their kids are. They've measured at home. They've had them measured at doctor's offices.

Then they arrive and get on some rides the first time, but not the second or make it past the first measuring post, but not the one before the ride.

I'm sorry, but this system doesn't work.

If the solution is "deal with it" or "prepare your kids better" I don't see why pointing out that isn't acceptable is so wrong.

At the end of the day, going to something like wristbands will not increase the percentage of cheating parents. That group is going to exist in any environment.
But anything to make the measuring process better, more uniform and more family friendly should be considered.

#1. Disney uses wrist bands for parties in which everyone has to wear them. And they don't check anything with them but the fact you have one on. And they stop checking during the parties after a while. Not near the same as a safety check which much be done each and every time someone rides a ride.

#2 A centralized measuring area, which would mean hiring more CMs (which already seems to be a problem) paying those CMs (yay another excuse for a price hike!) and more precious time wasted for those with little kids.

Not to mention Disney has already tried and rejected what you want. It apparently didn't work well enough.

Doesn't sound anything like a win-win-win.

Maybe focus all of this energy on finding a way besides wrist bands to somehow pre-measure a child.
I guess I don’t get why both checkpoints can’t be the exact same. If it’s the way the child is being measured, then train CMs the way that’s expected & ALL of them should be doing the exact same thing. There is obviously some issue with it since it comes up so much. This many kids can’t be shrinking or slumping over when they get to the loading checkpoint.

There could also be something, like a scale, that kids stand on. Have a light at the ride height. If the light gets covered, they are good. Put these at beginning and end of lines. Takes human element out. Each device will be calibrated the same, so the measuring is uniform.

Do you have a solution?

Or is it just "too bad, so sad?"

If this was some one day carnival, I don't think most people in this situation would care. A Disney trip is something entirely different. Parents save for years to be able do one. They make plans around parks and rides (60 days in advance). They know how tall their kids are. They've measured at home. They've had them measured at doctor's offices.

Then they arrive and get on some rides the first time, but not the second or make it past the first measuring post, but not the one before the ride.

I'm sorry, but this system doesn't work.

If the solution is "deal with it" or "prepare your kids better" I don't see why pointing out that isn't acceptable is so wrong.
I wonder how many of those ppl who just think you should just “prepare” your kid for disappointment have ever actually been turned away at the 2nd check point. It’s easy to say until you have had to do it. Kids will find out soon enough how much things can suck that are out of their control. A Disney trip at a young age shouldn’t have to be that. Disney should do better.

I wonder how many of those ppl who just think you should just “prepare” your kid for disappointment have ever actually been turned away at the 2nd check point. It’s easy to say until you have had to do it. Kids will find out soon enough how much things can suck that are out of their control. A Disney trip at a young age shouldn’t have to be that. Disney should do better.
Just because some people are giving realistic expectations for present day does not mean we have not been through it. I speak from experience/mistakes made on this exact issue and research. Parents have been complaining about it for years. It just didn’t bother me as much as it does for others. So many variables that could be the reason for different measurements. Scientific ones that don’t involve CM’s not doing their job right. Our kids are thankfully past the stage of being borderline. And yes, I guess kids are learning how life is. Some things are not fair, but you make the best of it and move on or help find a solution.

At this point, we’re just going in circles tho lol :confused3 But I hope Disney surprises us and figures out a better way. Not sure they will be able to please everyone.

Just because some people are giving realistic expectations for present day does not mean we have not been through it. I speak from experience/mistakes made on this exact issue and research. Parents have been complaining about it for years. It just didn’t bother me as much as it does for others. So many variables that could be the reason for different measurements. Scientific ones that don’t involve CM’s not doing their job right. Our kids are thankfully past the stage of being borderline. And yes, I guess kids are learning how life is. Some things are not fair, but you make the best of it and move on or help find a solution.

At this point, we’re just going in circles tho lol :confused3 But I hope Disney surprises us and figures out a better way. Not sure they will be able to please everyone.
I guess I don’t buy the scientific theory. I have seen so many other half-*** things in recent visits thst my $ is in CMs or some other quality control issue. That’s probably why it bothers me so much. I have not had it personally happen to my DS yet as he is too young for it to matter.

There could also be something, like a scale, that kids stand on. Have a light at the ride height. If the light gets covered, they are good. Put these at beginning and end of lines. Takes human element out. Each device will be calibrated the same, so the measuring is uniform.
I was thinking along these lines too. Laser levels and other measuring devices are so cheap now, they're small and highly accurate.

not my child but a grandchild does that count? as I was with him when happened and not at Disney

If Disney is going to continue with this archaic system they should at least install the measuring sticks onto a wall. There is a reason you stand against a wall when you get measured at a doctor's office: it's the only way to get you to stand up straight so they can get an accurate measurement. Go to a wall right now, make sure your feet and shoulders are pressing into it: that's you standing up straight. Now walk forward 2 inches and see how awkward that feels. Now try and have your 3 year old stand like that without a wall. They will never do it.
I'm all about realistic expectations, but I also think it's an important life lesson to teach my children that facts matter and that things like standardized measurement are not subjective. As Ron Burgundy says: it's science.

It has basically already been said, but it's the job of the ride operators who load the ride to ensure that riders meet the height requirements. It doesn't matter if the rider was measured an hour or two minutes before. If the operator thinks that the rider is close to not meeting the height requirement, the rider needs to be measured, and the operator makes the call.

Sure, it's frustrating for kids and parents if the kid doesn't meet the height requirements. But it's a safety issue. I'd much rather my kid be denied a ride to be kept safe than to be let on and be injured due to being close to the height requirement.

It has basically already been said, but it's the job of the ride operators who load the ride to ensure that riders meet the height requirements. It doesn't matter if the rider was measured an hour or two minutes before. If the operator thinks that the rider is close to not meeting the height requirement, the rider needs to be measured, and the operator makes the call.

Sure, it's frustrating for kids and parents if the kid doesn't meet the height requirements. But it's a safety issue. I'd much rather my kid be denied a ride to be kept safe than to be let on and be injured due to being close to the height requirement.
I don’t know this for sure, but I’d be very surprised if the height restrictions Disney uses, are the same as what the manufacturer built the specs to. There is more than likely some built in “wiggle room”. Basically if the Disney posted height is 40, the ride can more than likely safely handle kids an inch or two below that. Don’t get me wrong. I think that is the right thing to do. But my point is, a 1/4 of an inch here or there isn’t likely to make a difference from a safety standpoint. However, it appears to make a huge difference between measuring stations.

A couple thoughts on the band issue:
-Disney can make people sign a waiver that they won’t sue if something happens, but it isn’t just a lawsuit they are worried about. They don’t want a kid getting hurt, both from an ethical standpoint and a publicity standpoint.
-Those tamper-proof wristbands? Yeah, I can get them off unless they are so tight they cut in to my skin. I’m extremely hypermobile in my hands, and can squish my bones together enough to get out of wrist bands. My daughter inherited the same talent. So while we never would, we could cheat a wristband system if we wanted to.

I don’t know this for sure, but I’d be very surprised if the height restrictions Disney uses, are the same as what the manufacturer built the specs to. There is more than likely some built in “wiggle room”. Basically if the Disney posted height is 40, the ride can more than likely safely handle kids an inch or two below that. Don’t get me wrong. I think that is the right thing to do. But my point is, a 1/4 of an inch here or there isn’t likely to make a difference from a safety standpoint. However, it appears to make a huge difference between measuring stations.

Yes, that's accurate, a quarter of an inch doesn't make much difference. But I think you're thinking of a typical scenario (kid is slightly short) versus some of the more nefarious scenarios (shoe lifts, switching bands, sneaking kids past initial measurement stations) that make it a necessity for a ride operator to measure just before loading.

A couple thoughts on the band issue:
-Disney can make people sign a waiver that they won’t sue if something happens, but it isn’t just a lawsuit they are worried about. They don’t want a kid getting hurt, both from an ethical standpoint and a publicity standpoint.
-Those tamper-proof wristbands? Yeah, I can get them off unless they are so tight they cut in to my skin. I’m extremely hypermobile in my hands, and can squish my bones together enough to get out of wrist bands. My daughter inherited the same talent. So while we never would, we could cheat a wristband system if we wanted to.
You're a perfect example of how wristbands wouldn't increase cheating. Even though you could, you wouldn't because of who you are.
Cheaters will find a way to cheat regardless of the process. This thread is about making it easier for kids who are tall enough, but get caught up in the hodgepodge of measuring sticks out there.

I agree & if it were that serious I doubt wdw would put that kinda responsibility in the hands of a 19 yr old part-time worker.

Right, but the whole point is not whether they measure them or not, it's whether the measurements are consistent. You can measure my kids a million times if you want. But those measurements need to be consistent. Because what's actually frustrating is when kids do clearly meet the height requirement but are still not allowed to ride. This is what needs to change. The inconsistency. Measurement is not subjective.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter