DEBATE: Ideas for a 5th park????

Bob O

<font color=navy>Voice of Reason<br><font color=re
Lets say wdw was to build 5th park, what do you think the theme should be?? Reading the link to mouseplanet regarding DCA i think a Disney's America would be a great idea for a new park if one were to be built. But not based just on what the proposed park in VA was supposed to be but a park based on the whole country, break it down into sections with hightlights from each part of the country or maybe historical periods. What do you think of something like this or what would your idea be???
You could break a historical park down into maybe 75 yr periods or the country as a whole into west/east/south/midwest sections. I dont think that would work at all at DCA due to size limtiations but shouldnt be a problem at wdw.

Great idea for a post, Bob. We've had the "should there or shouldn't there be a park debate", but I like the idea of just throwing possibilties out there without regard for whether the park "should" be built.

It would take a lot more thought and data before I would actually give the go ahead to any of these, but themes I have kicked around in my noggin are:

As Bob said, American theme. I think the separation by time theme would work better than region, or perhaps a combination.

A World History theme. Sort of like Westworld (but with attractions/shows/exhibits instead of mal-functioning killer robots). A Roman or Greek land. Rennasance (sp) land. Etc. Or, perhaps one of these as an entire park, but I think that might be a stretch.

A Villain theme, done as a thrill park. (I'm really intrigued by this one...)

Of course, something like Tokyo Disney Seas would work.

A "music" themed park? Sections devoted to classical, pop, C/W, etc. Not as high on this one, but maybe.

Gotta go now, but I'll try to think of some more...

Good ideas but i dont like the TDS. I want a new park if built to be unique and unlike the other parks they have built with no cloned attractions. Something without cloned rides/shows and unlike their others parks would really give people a reason to visit and extend their visit.

Instead of historic periods, I'd prefer to see a park that celebrates the distictive regional differences within the United States -- sort of along the lines of how World Showcase presents different countries.

Imagine about a dozen villages (the "lands"), each featuring the timeless architecture, music, entertainment, art, popular food, regional fine dining, handicrafts, and other cultural characteristics of the city or region represented by that village. Imagine at least one appropriate ride or show in each one. Think about America's most distinctive cities, such as Santa Fe, Charleston, and New Orleans. Add a New England fishing village, a Rocky Mountain mining town, a Western ghost town (that looks like a ghost town, not like Frontierland), a "big city" entertainment district (like Times Square), and whatever else would fit into the mix. Throw in Alaska and Hawaii.

Make sure that the park celebrates America's diverse enthnicity.

Arrange the villages along a "coast-to-coast" highway that doubles as a parade route. (But make sure that there are alternate access paths so that parades don't paralyze movement within the park.)

Present rides or shows based on history only where that would be good entertainment, but don't pretend you're in the business of somehow providing painless lessons about the brightest and darkest episodes of America's history. (That's one of the things that got Disney's America in trouble.)

Call the whole thing Disney's American Highway. ("Disney's America" sounded too much as though Disney wanted to own America.)

OK, I know a "highway to Hawaii" is stretching it a bit, but properly done, I think it would work anyway.

As the United States becomes more and more homogenized by national retail chains, national restaurant chains, and national cable TV, this could be a great place to capture an America without WalMart, McDonalds, and CNN.

i'm going to say i'd rather have them add to the existing parks than build a new park, at least at this time.

Originally posted by d-r
i'm going to say i'd rather have them add to the existing parks than build a new park, at least at this time.

Ditto. They need new rides in all the parks (big ones, not midway types) before a new park should be built.

I would want to see a Disney park that is more geared to the thrill rides, call it Disney Extreme or Disney X. It could have the villian theme throughout and incorporate some of the Disney films without park representation like Atlantis, perfect set up for a thrill based water ride like JP in Universal. Good opportunity for dueling coasters where Aladdin takes on Jafar or something to that effect.

My favorite idea for a new park is still "Shadow Kingdom." The theme fits with classic Disney while allowing a perfect opportunity to tweak up the "thrill" a couple notches in order to give those pesky teens something to do on property.

That said, I believe building another Disney park in Orlando would be an enormous waste.

-WFH

PS: If they did a small Shadowlands park, with mostly/exclusively thrill rides, the park could be a separately ticketed attraction. I think that would give WDW a cash shot in the arm, ammo against families with teenage guests fleeing to IOA, and avoid the potential backlash from the "WDW is for my four-year-old, exclusively" crowd by clearly separating the thrill element.

One of the problems I see with most of the possible themes is that they overlap with attractions or lands of current parks. Shadowlands IMO would be the best bet to add attractions to WDW that wouldn't necessarily fit well in the the other parks. I also think WDW really needs some addtional thrill rides and Shadowlands would be a great way to do it without messing up the magic of the 4 parks.

WFH great idea about a seperate ticket!!!

DNJA!!!!

i can see it now DISNEY NEW JERSEY ADVENTURE!!!! YESSSSS

wait shouldnt it be should they add a fourth park...........................oh yeah forgot A.K. againlololol

Nobody's trying to argue that it makes sense to build the 5th park (at least not in this thread...).

Just supposed to be a fun brainstorming thread...

Wasn't there a rumor about 5 years or so ago where Disney was trying to add a new park in Virginia that would have the American theme?

I agree totally that wdw doesnt need a new park. But this posyt was meant as a brainstorming session and not a citique of their current parks needs. Raidermatt was right!!!

I love the Villian and Shadowlands ideas, the Americas Highways is really an interesting concept...I wish they would do that!

But for me, after seeing all the pictures of DisneySeas, and knowing I'll probably never make it out there...I want our own!!

:)

Before building a new park, I highly recommend building a Horizons II and a World of Motion II ride at Epcot. Epcot lost it's charm when Disney made a huge mistate removing those great rides.

King Triton
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Last May... We were lucky enough to be chosen "Grand Marshall's" for the MK parade.

As we were waiting for our GM vehicle (stage coach), the CM who picks the GM's and coordinates ... tells us that he heard a pretty good "rumor" and we could tell who we wanted.

He heard that WDW was considering a "SPACE" theme for its next park. He went on to say that this was only a rumor but not the internet kind. He mentioned that was an in house rumor and came from "reliable" sources.

Well, take it for what it is worth ... but, I'm taking it w/ a grain of salt.

Dude

I'm going to cop out a little here:

1 - My vote for a park I'd be likely to visit every time - a Florida version of TDS

2 - The Shadow Kingdom idea is great too - I like the idea of concentrating thrill rides in one park (and therefore keeping the "Teen" level and associated issues in one park) - but I'd probably only visit once every 2 or 3 times I visit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter