Debate: Is it even worth it to be inside the parks in the middle of the day?

OhioStateBuckeye

DIS Veteran
So I just got back from the D23 Expo. We spent several days in the parks, the Thursday before and the Monday and Tuesday after.

This trip made me question if it is even worth being in the parks during the middle of the day.

First, it was very hot and uncomfortable mid day. So that is one point against it.

Second, I like being in WDW parks during the middle of the day. Even if it is hot and crowded there are plenty of sit down shows to do during the afternoon that usually don't have huge lines. We found this distinctly lacking in DL. If we compare...WDW has Carousel of Progress, Laugh Floor, Tiki Room, Country Bear Jamboree and Mickey's Philharmagic. DL has Mickey and the Magical Map, Tiki Room and Mr. Lincoln. There just aren't enough shows to occupy the hot, crowded middle of the day.

Third, lines were just horrendous in the middle of the day during our trip. We would get so much done in the morning and then our progress would just grind to a halt in the middle of the day.

What does everyone think? Is it even worth being in the parks in the middle of the day?

It's worth it to me. The sit down air conditioned rides are very comfortable for me. In addition to what you mentioned, we go to It's Tough to be a Bug and see any movie previews in DCA (if they have any). We get soaked on Grizzly which keeps us cool for a while. And, of course, there is always going inside for a cool drink in Carthy Lounge or in the lobby of the Grand Californian.

We live where it is over 100 plus at least half the summer and if we are starting to drag, we find a cool indoor spot(GCH lobby) there are many places to take the heat off. We went to (W)DW in Feb is time. What a MAJOR inconvience to get anything done and there is no LOGIC to its layout. I spent many hours with him and his object was to capture the SA and european business. He would have had a different plan, to bad he did not live long enough to guide tghe corporation.

Just my opinion.

Jack

To me, you have to be able to "fly" grabbing FPs at DL to make the afternoon worth it. I always make sure I grab a FP right before lunch so that when we're done, we go right on a ride. But you're right...it does get swamped and hot on a summer day at DL. Shoot, even spring and fall days can be warm and crowded.

I do wish they'd add in more sit downs at DL. With no People Mover/TTA, there's no ride to just hop on real quick. Mickey and the Magical Map is down tues-thur, so that's a bummer. And I'd love to see them bring in a NEW 3D film. No more Eo. No more Honey. They need a new 3D experience in Tomorrowland. And I'm with you, missing Mickey's Philharmagic. What a fantastic show! Definitely needs to come to DL.

We're in town now and will be there for the first time next week and I'll be curious how it is in the middle of the day. We were at Universal yesterday and while it was definitely hot I couldn't get over how much better it felt than WDW in the summer. All four of us kept commenting how nice it was compared. There was a breeze, no humidity and it even felt slightly chilly when the sun went down. I would take this weather 10 out of 10 times over WDW in the summer.

As miserable the heat is at WDW we don't like to leave the parks because it's not easy but since our hotel is right there next week I'll be real curious if we head back for a bit.

But if the weather next week is like it was at Universal yesterday we will be 100% fine staying.

Funny side story about this is that are some people we know are out here too and happened to be at Universal the same day as us and the wife posted on FB about how they were so miserable in the heat yesterday and I told DH I guess she's never been to the parks in Florida in the summer then! Lol

We're local, so we have no hotel to hang out at mid-day, so we're often there all day.

Our four-year-old will still nap in her stroller most days, so on those days we'll grab some wine and sit on the patio and people-watch for awhile. We hang out at the Bugs Land splash pad area or in the Animation building (we can spend seriously hours in there). We'll go on rides like Little Mermaid or Monsters Inc where the lines aren't too bad and the rides are air conditioned.

You'll note that we almost exclusively hang out at DCA in the afternoons. If we are at DL proper, we'll do Tiki room and always Mickey and the MM if it's running... but we prefer DCA at that time of day. Less congested, too.

We're local, so we have no hotel to hang out at mid-day, so we're often there all day.

Our four-year-old will still nap in her stroller most days, so on those days we'll grab some wine and sit on the patio and people-watch for awhile. We hang out at the Bugs Land splash pad area or in the Animation building (we can spend seriously hours in there). We'll go on rides like Little Mermaid or Monsters Inc where the lines aren't too bad and the rides are air conditioned.

You'll note that we almost exclusively hang out at DCA in the afternoons. If we are at DL proper, we'll do Tiki room and always Mickey and the MM if it's running... but we prefer DCA at that time of day. Less congested, too.
The Animation Building is definitely the place to go on hot afternoons. My family loves Animation Academy and the lobby is so nice and cool and dark with comfortable couches.

Middle of the afternoon is a great time for a leisurely table service meal and shopping. This is what we usually do.

We visited DLR Tue-Thurs July 11-13. Being a native Californian and living there for my first 28 years, I have never experienced the humidity I did on this trip. I felt like I was in Orlando LOL! Over all my DLR summer trips I never remember sweating so much! Usually summer mornings and evenings are delightfully cool. Not this time. Every day I was quite uncomfortable by 9AM.

We typically always take afternoon breaks in summer trips anyways just to conserve energy and miss the afternoon maximum heat and crowds. Which is whay I like BWPPI and GCH so much! ::yes::

In answer to your question, it definitely depends on time of year and park hours. When DL park hours are 8AM-Midnight, even when temperatures are cool and in the 70's it has been many years since I can go all day. Since I started having kids we always tried to get 10-12 hours each day in the parks out of the 16 available.

I have gone a few times in off-season when the park hours are shorter and the weather much more agreeable. Even if crowds are large, I usually stay during the afternoons.

You are right that DLR has less options than WDW for cooling off. For WDW you forgot Hall of Presidents. There are lots of afternoon filler options there that are air conditioned. Further, there are more queues that are inside at WDW and you get some A/C there (like SDMT, Space Mtn, Buzz LY and Little Mermaid). WDW has to have more queues inside because it rains so freaking much. Plus they have the space there.

At DLR I would add to your A/C list POTC because most of the queue is in the shade, the final 5 minutes is inside in the A/C and the ride lasts 16 minutes. But options are limited.

DCA has Animation Academy and ITTBAB, plus Little Mermaid. But that is about it. TSMM and Soarin are mostly outside unlike WDW where they are all or mostly all inside.

Finally, the stats I have always heard is that DLR visitors are 70% locals and WDW is 15% locals. The locals are mostly day trippers who have no hotel options are thus going to stay all afternoon regardless. At DLR you get more bang for the buck to take an afternoon break because the parks are open later in the evening and a higher percentage of guests will leave earlier because they are day trippers.

I think afternoon breaks at DLR in the summer are an absolute no-brainer and one of the reasons I always suggest folks stay at walking distance hotels. With MaxPass the afternoon break does not penalize you for not being in the parks like regular FP did because now you can get FPs from your hotel room as long as you scanned into DL or DCA that day.

:wizard:

Lots of great suggestions! I agree that DCA has more "cool" activities. Good time for shopping and a slow sit down meal as well. As another PP mentioned, when the railroad and Rivers of America return that will be perfectly suited to some laid back afternoon touring.

For Disneyland proper, don't forget there is a stage show in the Fantasy Faire area! Another great cool down ride is it's a small world. Also in Toon Town, the queue for Roger Rabbit is entirely indoors with amazing theming and AC.

If you need a break to nap and recharge, then the afternoon is a great time to do it! But to answer your question is it worth it to even be in the parks? To me, YES! Any time spent IN the park is better than out, especially if you don't "need" to leave. :cutie:

We love sitting on a bench in Frontier Land during the afternoon! We grab a snack and just people watch! Also love riding the Mark Twain River Boat!

I don't really understand the question. Of course its "worth it".

If it wasn't worth it to be in a place thats sunny and warm, houses would be dirt cheap here.

We have been to DLR in July the last 4 years. We were just there this past Saturday to Wednesday. In all 4 years, Tuesday was the most crowded day we have ever experienced in July. It was miserable and we would have left if we had not had the Fantasmic dining package. It was also hotter than usual. So I would say don't judge it by what you experienced Tuesday. Saturday and Sunday were great all day. Saturday we rode Peter Pan with a 15 minute wait in the afternoon and Big Thunder with 10 minutes in the afternoon. Wednesday wasn't that bad either- we rode Guardians with a 30 minute wait around noon. We were in the parks each day Sat-weds and Monday and Tuesday were by far the most crowded- with Tuesday being just awful.

Yes, it is worth it. Like many have posted, in DCA, Animation Building is a great place to have fun in a cool place. Get some food at Fidler's Fifel and Practical and grab a seat close to the windows and watch the entertainment. Whitewater Snacks in the GCH is a great place to go to beat the heat while enjoying a meal or just a snack. You can sit indoors or outdoors (in the shade). Nice to peek inside DCA while sharing chicken nachos. In DLBook a sit down late lunch/ early dinner at Carnation Cafe and enjoy a good meal while on Main Street. When finished with your lunch, pop in and out all the different shops and theater on Main Street. All air conditioned. Grab a fast pass, a snack and enjoy. You can sit in the GCH lobby to relax too.

We have been to DLR in July the last 4 years. We were just there this past Saturday to Wednesday. In all 4 years, Tuesday was the most crowded day we have ever experienced in July. It was miserable and we would have left if we had not had the Fantasmic dining package. It was also hotter than usual. So I would say don't judge it by what you experienced Tuesday. Saturday and Sunday were great all day. Saturday we rode Peter Pan with a 15 minute wait in the afternoon and Big Thunder with 10 minutes in the afternoon. Wednesday wasn't that bad either- we rode Guardians with a 30 minute wait around noon. We were in the parks each day Sat-weds and Monday and Tuesday were by far the most crowded- with Tuesday being just awful.

I keep seeing posts about how random days in the middle of the week were so crazy busy! But I swear in all my research it said to avoid the parks on the weekends so out schedule has us going next Tuesday and Wednesday so now I'm nervous! On crazy busy days like that are both parks usually the same in terms of crowds or is DL worse? We are going to DCA on Tuesday and DL on Wednesday. We are doing the opposite parks of when the EMH are so I thought that may help us a little.

We go early and run around for 3 or 4 hours to get in as many rides as possible before the hoards of people pour in. Then we leave in the early afternoon and go back to our hotel to rest or go to Fullerton to go to the Burger Parlor or Hapa cupcakes. Then we go back in the evening to ride some rides and maybe see some shows. The middle part of the day is ok but you have to have a plan and know how to work the park to your advantage to enjoy it.

Totally worth it to us! We don't usually leave the parks during the day. If we're done with attractions and ready for a rest we'll browse the shops or make a mid-day ADR and relax for a bit in the air conditioned restaurant. We also enjoy just sitting and people watching with a Mickey Bar or Frozen Lemonade.

We'
We're in town now and will be there for the first time next week and I'll be curious how it is in the middle of the day. We were at Universal yesterday and while it was definitely hot I couldn't get over how much better it felt than WDW in the summer. All four of us kept commenting how nice it was compared. There was a breeze, no humidity and it even felt slightly chilly when the sun went down. I would take this weather 10 out of 10 times over WDW in the summer.

As miserable the heat is at WDW we don't like to leave the parks because it's not easy but since our hotel is right there next week I'll be real curious if we head back for a bit.

But if the weather next week is like it was at Universal yesterday we will be 100% fine staying.

Funny side story about this is that are some people we know are out here too and happened to be at Universal the same day as us and the wife posted on FB about how they were so miserable in the heat yesterday and I told DH I guess she's never been to the parks in Florida in the summer then! Lol

re in town now and will be there for the first time next week and I'll be curious how it is in the middle of the day. We were at Universal yesterday and while it was definitely hot I couldn't get over how much better it felt than WDW in the summer. All four of us kept commenting how nice it was compared. There was a breeze, no humidity and it even felt slightly chilly when the sun went down. I would take this weather 10 out of 10 times over WDW in the summer.

Believe it or not, it's been humid for So Cal lately...lol But I'll take So Cal humid over east coast humid any day. Hahaha

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter