• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Debt Dumpers - 2018

Anyone else focusing on consumer debt before tackling student loans?

I’m working on my consumer debt first because it’s what requires the highest monthly payments. I’m currently in deferment with school but I plan on attacking that around March of next year.
The plan is to be consumer debt free by end if this year and then save up to move into an apartment closer to work. This would reduce my monthly spending on gas (~120-$150 a month) because I commute so far in bad traffic both ways. So I would save up about 75% of my income for January and February for move in costs, furniture & to have 2 months rent in reserve.

I’m looking forward to the end of this year. I just need to stay focused!

I felt nickeled and dimed at bellagio. We won’t stay again. We loved the Palazzo and won’t stay anywhere else.

How so? We paid exactly what I reserved the room for. I got an upgrade email for a king bed several weeks before arrival. I called and explained there were four of us (two teens) and needed two queen beds. So I wanted to check our reservation details. I had only reserved a room for two. She said she corrected it and was not charging me the extra person fee. I didn’t know there was an extra person fee. Upon checking in the guy gave us the keys for a king room. So I explained again and he UPGRADED us to a two queen room with a center fountain view in one of the VIP floors. The fountain music played on it TV and we got to watch the fountains from our room. We also watched outside too for the differs experience. I still only paid what I reserved the room for initially under the advance military rate.

Where at in OK? I live here and could let you know what cheap or free events are happening while you're here.

Tulsa! Thank you for the offer, but the horse shows are sort of an all encompassing bubble for us that we don't get to leave :rotfl2: I always tell people I've been all over the country but can't tell them anything about the cities I've been other than what the horse show grounds look like! We're also there for our world championship show so I'll be spending most of my time in the saddle getting ready to show in my classes.

How so? We paid exactly what I reserved the room for. I got an upgrade email for a king bed several weeks before arrival. I called and explained there were four of us (two teens) and needed two queen beds. So I wanted to check our reservation details. I had only reserved a room for two. She said she corrected it and was not charging me the extra person fee. I didn’t know there was an extra person fee. Upon checking in the guy gave us the keys for a king room. So I explained again and he UPGRADED us to a two queen room with a center fountain view in one of the VIP floors. The fountain music played on it TV and we got to watch the fountains from our room. We also watched outside too for the differs experience. I still only paid what I reserved the room for initially under the advance military rate.
We stayed for 4 nights in June 2017. When I checked out I saw at least 6 charges for the mini bar. Mind you we never even opened the fridge let alone took anything from it. We don't drink. And my two kids don't either. The desk agent said any type of contact with the fridge could set off the fridge alarm. So even placing something on top of the fridge or opening it to look at what they offered triggered a charge. Of course I had the charges all removed from our bill since we did not partake. Other hotels don't do this.
Also $5 for OJ at breakfast, $23 for pancakes,, hmm.... I'd rather go to Hash house A go go. Food wasn't all that. It's just my opinion, glad you liked it. We much prefer the Venetian and Palazzo. Newer and more palatial. We also like the location better as we can walk to the Wynn and Encore and Fashion Show Mall.

Tulsa! Thank you for the offer, but the horse shows are sort of an all encompassing bubble for us that we don't get to leave :rotfl2: I always tell people I've been all over the country but can't tell them anything about the cities I've been other than what the horse show grounds look like! We're also there for our world championship show so I'll be spending most of my time in the saddle getting ready to show in my classes.

I live 10 mins north of Tulsa! Are the shows open to the public? My 2.5 year old loves horses so it would be awesome to take her if it is!

Exactly what I say to people who tell me to enjoy my trip when I'm traveling for work. Some get it and others just think, "Oh, San Diego is awesome!" Well, yes one night I got to walk to the Gaslamp for dinner but other than that, I wouldn't know. Lol.

We stayed for 4 nights in June 2017. When I checked out I saw at least 6 charges for the mini bar. Mind you we never even opened the fridge let alone took anything from it. We don't drink. And my two kids don't either. The desk agent said any type of contact with the fridge could set off the fridge alarm. So even placing something on top of the fridge or opening it to look at what they offered triggered a charge. Of course I had the charges all removed from our bill since we did not partake. Other hotels don't do this.
Also $5 for OJ at breakfast, $23 for pancakes,, hmm.... I'd rather go to Hash house A go go. Food wasn't all that. It's just my opinion, glad you liked it. We much prefer the Venetian and Palazzo. Newer and more palatial. We also like the location better as we can walk to the Wynn and Encore and Fashion Show Mall.

They gave advance notice advance detailing the sensors, not just for the items in the fridge but also the items sitting on top. We didn’t eat breakfast there other than Coffee and a pastry.

I live 10 mins north of Tulsa! Are the shows open to the public? My 2.5 year old loves horses so it would be awesome to take her if it is!

Yes it is! It is usually free to get in, but not sure if there are any parking charges or anything. It's at the expo center I believe? Or perhaps its state fairgrounds? The show runs for about ten days so there should be two different weekends where there are events going on, and multiple rings where events are happening.

Exactly what I say to people who tell me to enjoy my trip when I'm traveling for work. Some get it and others just think, "Oh, San Diego is awesome!" Well, yes one night I got to walk to the Gaslamp for dinner but other than that, I wouldn't know. Lol.

Yup, this is me every time. I spent my weekend in SC leaving the hotel room at 6:00 AM every morning to start riding and enjoyed a magical dinner of Sonic cheeseburgers and mozzarella sticks split with my trainer's assistant at 10 PM in our motel room.

Yes it is! It is usually free to get in, but not sure if there are any parking charges or anything. It's at the expo center I believe? Or perhaps its state fairgrounds? The show runs for about ten days so there should be two different weekends where there are events going on, and multiple rings where events are happening.

Yup, this is me every time. I spent my weekend in SC leaving the hotel room at 6:00 AM every morning to start riding and enjoyed a magical dinner of Sonic cheeseburgers and mozzarella sticks split with my trainer's assistant at 10 PM in our motel room.
Next year our annual meeting is in Orlando so I need to find a way to take a couple days off and go to Disney and/or Universal which is a challenge because we are always completely wiped out after the four-day meeting.

Next year our annual meeting is in Orlando so I need to find a way to take a couple days off and go to Disney and/or Universal which is a challenge because we are always completely wiped out after the four-day meeting.

I went for a meeting in January and I did the Disney portion before my conference!

Update everyone- Unfortunately I’m having emergency surgery soon. The good news is I qualify for a hardship because of my surgery for my store credit card that will reduce interest from 25% to 10% cut my payments in half for a year and won’t impact my score. Now I can allocate my funds better and hopefully pay my card off sooner with the reduce interest rate.

Update everyone- Unfortunately I’m having emergency surgery soon. The good news is I qualify for a hardship because of my surgery for my store credit card that will reduce interest from 25% to 10% cut my payments in half for a year and won’t impact my score. Now I can allocate my funds better and hopefully pay my card off sooner with the reduce interest rate.

Sending good wishes for a quick recovery!

They gave advance notice advance detailing the sensors, not just for the items in the fridge but also the items sitting on top. We didn’t eat breakfast there other than Coffee and a pastry.
Well when you have small kids it’s easy to tip off the sensors, I guess. They corrected the bill but left a bad taste in our mouths.

Ok I've been following this thread for a little bit. I just wanted to vent about my bank. I had a credit card and the interest rate was 23.6% I called to see if they would reduce it and they didn't budge. They said that they couldn't do anything so I said close it. The woman said ok done. I'm just so frustrated because this is the bank that has my mortgage, small loan, second mortgage and where I bank. I haven't been late or missed a payment. I am just disappointed in them.

The expo center and fair grounds are in the same place and usually parking doesn't cost (although if the fair is happening those weekends, it'll be $10). I'll have to check the expo events website closer to then and see which days we could come check it out. We'll be sure to cheer for you and your horses!

When we brought our kids to Vegas several years ago, it seemed all of the big hotels on the strip charged extra for 3rd/4th person on the reservation, even kids. I felt they were doing that to discourage families since that was when people were talking about LV becoming slightly more appealing to families. I refused to pay it so we stayed at a Hyatt Place a block or 2 off the strip with free parking and a shuttle. We are looking to visit again, a 2 nt stop on a 12 day trek out west, and I only priced the Bellagio and it was like $500/nt which is ridiculous. I really don't feel the need to pay hundreds more to stay right on the strip.
I found an Embassy Suites near the strip, maybe a block or 2 over, and all ES hotels offer a free big breakfast which will make dh very happy. I'm hoping to get tickets to Penn & Teller and Terry Fator. I saw P&T way back in the early 90s in Philly and was blown away. Given their popularity, they probably are even better than back then. Ds21 is all surprised that I've already seen them. Kids today think so much is new when really it's just new to them, or it's a re-make (songs/movies). ;)

We are also doing a 2-4 days each at the Grand Canyon, Sedona, and Disneyland. Dh and I both have companion passes from SWA and a ton of points. So we'll fly to SNA from LAS then SNA to PHX and still will all be free including our main/transcontinental flights. Looking forward to it. :goodvibes I should be putting $ toward a car but I will do that after this I get the main costs of this trip paid. Mommy needs a break.

What is a copper mat?

Which copper mats do you use? All the ones I've seen say the maximum temperature they can withstand is 500 degrees. We routinely grill at higher temperatures than that.
I will look to see if I still have the box. You cook at MUCH lower temps with the mats, as they almost act like a convection. I cooked tri-tip (I forget what the cut is called back East, sorry), and it's heaven.

Anyone else focusing on consumer debt before tackling student loans?!
Me!!! We have a tiny student loan. It's last in the conga line.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter