Debt Dumpers - 2019

I've been thinking about this as we will look into buying a home possibly within the next few years and I look on Zillow to see in today's market what's available in certain price ranges in areas we may consider moving to. And then, I go back and forth on whether I even want to go into home ownership again. More home would mean less money available for other things.
Well, if you live in an area where your mortgage is equal or less than what it would cost to rent, then I think homeownership is a wise investment. You have to pay to live somewhere, right, might as well go towards ownership rather than into the landlord's pocket.

How was the axe throwing? They just opened a place here that does it and I'm intrigued but a little paranoid that someone will lose a body part!

I was concerned too, but it was very safe and fun! The place we went to was Urban Axes, and they have a lot of safety measures and had an employee with you at all times watching and able to help improve your aim, answer questions and make sure everyone is safe. I never felt like I could get hurt the entire time, and each of the 4 of us in our party missed the target at least one time each and had the axe bounce weirdly, but it couldn't come near people when that happened thanks to the design of the lane and safety precautions they take.

That's great! I'm also glad our cat does fine with normal food also. When we switched her food we just switched brands. Now she eats mainly dry food, but gets a spoonful of wet food in the evenings. After the whole UTI issue we try to prevent her from getting dehydrated again. And just for funsies i've attached a picture of my fat ball of fluff a.k.a Luna.
This is my pretty girl, sitting on my laptop case, which she does every time I work from home. She's nuts. She gets a wet food pouch in the evenings too, and when DH is home she cries to Daddy to have him turn the water on in the bathroom sink to drink out of.

Attachments

• Winnie computer case.jpg
    Winnie computer case.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 11
This is my pretty girl, sitting on my laptop case, which she does every time I work from home. She's nuts. She gets a wet food pouch in the evenings too, and when DH is home she cries to Daddy to have him turn the water on in the bathroom sink to drink out of.

So adorable. :love: I wish Luna would cry for something that amusing. She just cries to be fed, even though she already has food in her dish. :rotfl2:

Still on target to pay off CC#2 on 7/17/19. DH is worried with the drop in OT pay how we'll do it.

We have decided to use CC1, now that it's paid off, to pay for items during the month, while setting aside funds to pay it in full. After CC3 and CC4 are paid off (Nov and Feb without inheritance), we'll switch to using the points on CC5. We'll be canceling CC3 & CC4. Probably CC2 also. Those solely served a purpose of airline miles for the WDW trip.

And on the inheritance front, I'm still trying to help his cousin sort out the mess that another family member has caused (filing paperwork with incorrect EIN # and not telling cousin). Cousin is beside herself and just wants the matter settled to get the funds dispersed. Other family members are being catty, that she's holding onto the money. I can't wait to resolve this and put it toward debt. I'm ready for this snowball to be smaller.

If the inheritance keeps dragging out, we'll be CC and car payment free in April of next year. I'm hoping and praying for something other than that, though.

Question for everyone. My daughter called last night (she will be 24 in August) and said her and her husband have paid the deposit on a cruise to Alaska for the two of them and my husband and I. They said they appreciate all we have done for them and love us and want to take us on this trip. She swears this is not creating a hardship for them or creating debt. We would have to pay for our flights and excursions.

My first reaction was that I feel odd and a little messed uip taking such a gift from my child and like I'm a terrible parent for even considering it. I told her how grateful we were and appreciative we are of her even considering it but we would need to consider it.

What is everyone's thoughts?

Thanks

@crazycatstacy one of my goals is to take my mom on a trip--anywhere she wants--at no cost to her. She has done so much for me in my life that I can't WAIT to be able to give her some relaxation time. She had to cancel on last trip to WDW, due to my dad's health (she's his primary caregiver). And while she will live with us forever (if that's what she wants), I'm excited to take her places she's never been able to go because my dad was NOT a traveler.

Question for everyone. My daughter called last night (she will be 24 in August) and said her and her husband have paid the deposit on a cruise to Alaska for the two of them and my husband and I. They said they appreciate all we have done for them and love us and want to take us on this trip. She swears this is not creating a hardship for them or creating debt. We would have to pay for our flights and excursions.

My first reaction was that I feel odd and a little messed uip taking such a gift from my child and like I'm a terrible parent for even considering it. I told her how grateful we were and appreciative we are of her even considering it but we would need to consider it.

Thanks
We took my parents to WDW after I finished 15 months of chemo, radiation and surgeries. They lived 10 hours away and spent a lot of time sleeping on our couch, helping to care for our 1st grader and providing me a lot of emotional support. They accepted graciously, and we all have wonderful memories of that trip. My mother hates FL, and they would have never seen my son enjoy WDW on their own.

Fast forward 7 years. My parents took my sister, teenaged son and me to Europe for 10 days last month. My mother used money from her inheritance from my grandfather. Even the 14 year old had a good time. I keep reminding him he will never have memories of traveling with his grandparents like this again—even if he did miss 2 weeks of football practice:)

I know neither scenario matches yours, but I enjoyed taking my parents on a nice vacation as a thank you. I am so glad they agreed. I also greatly appreciate the trip they just paid for. Both my husband and my sister’s husband make more money than my parents did together upon retirement. I know parents were thrilled to be able to pay for a special time for the five of us together. We had never traveled that way before, and it was not something they could have paid for without years of budgeting any other way.

All of that is to say, if your daughter and you can both afford your respective parts of this cruise, take the trip. Enjoy the memories you will make with your family.

@crazycatstacy one of my goals is to take my mom on a trip--anywhere she wants--at no cost to her. She has done so much for me in my life that I can't WAIT to be able to give her some relaxation time. She had to cancel on last trip to WDW, due to my dad's health (she's his primary caregiver). And while she will live with us forever (if that's what she wants), I'm excited to take her places she's never been able to go because my dad was NOT a traveler.
Gave me chills. Very sweet. You are a good child:)

Thanks

i guess my first consideration would be how it would impact my current budgeting/short/long term financial goals. i've done an alaskan cruise-the airfare, transportation to the ship nor the excursions are cheap. there's also the expenses that will inevitably pop up (meals off ship, tips, airport transportation or parking, souvenirs.....) so is that do-able in sticking with your current monetary plan? will it create a need to take time off work w/o pay or use up vacation time that you've already earmarked to another vacation resulting in unpaid time off then?

if you want to do it and feel you can financially swing it then i don't see any issue with accepting the gift. that said-i've got a 24 year old as well and know her finances intimately (helping her become debt free on a 2 vs 10 year student loan payoff plan) so i absolutely know what would cause debt/potential financial hardship, but w/ your dd married unless you have an idea of their financial situation you can only trust that she's being truthful (and hope she's not creating debt).

Thanks
We just did something similar with my ILs, we split the cruise fare/travel costs for them with my BILs and their spouses. I also leveraged credit card points to keep our costs all down as much as possible. It was a big gift from everyone for all they had done over the years. We told them at Christmas so they had ~7mths of planning/budgeting.

I'd say as long as you feel the extras work on your budget and they are in a place they can afford to do something like that, it will be a wonderful trip. I'd give anything to use my financial position and credit card rewards to take my mom to WDW and stay at the Grand Floridian. We never made it to a Disney park as a family and that was where she always wanted to stay when the topic came up.

End of the month/halfway point reflections:

My Financial Goals for 2019:

• Savings Account: $3,250/$5000
  • Student Loans: $32,800/$28,000
  • Vacation Fund: $125/$1000
Half way through the year, and I'm feeling pretty good about my progress so far. My savings goals will not be a problem at all this year. Once I start getting paid by my new job at the end of the month, I'm planning on doubling down on my student loans. I turned the auto-pay feature back on for this month, so I have accrued a total of $250 in interest since I last paid. This month is a 3-paycheck month too, so that will be nice too!

I hope everyone has a lovely 4th of July Weekend! :)

2019 was supposed to be the year that we got completely out of debt. We had some expensive personal catastrophe’s hit us over the last 4 years and we ended up with a lot of credit card debt and a good sized home equity line.

However, our 1st mortgage payoff is $2,500 and our SUV is $3,500. We plan to pay off the house this month and start throwing $1,500/ mo. Into the SUV payment until I think October. That will free up $1,500/mo. Extra to pay off credit cards and then $2,000/mo. extra to pay off the home equity line. We will get everything paid off by 2022 if the cars (and our desire for a new one) can hold out. We also have repairs that need made along the way.

What has been everyone’s experience? Is it really hard to keep yourself from the new found funds? I’m thinking we will keep sailing and let the snowball work for us.

2019 was supposed to be the year that we got completely out of debt. We had some expensive personal catastrophe’s hit us over the last 4 years and we ended up with a lot of credit card debt and a good sized home equity line.

However, our 1st mortgage payoff is $2,500 and our SUV is $3,500. We plan to pay off the house this month and start throwing $1,500/ mo. Into the SUV payment until I think October. That will free up $1,500/mo. Extra to pay off credit cards and then $2,000/mo. extra to pay off the home equity line. We will get everything paid off by 2022 if the cars (and our desire for a new one) can hold out. We also have repairs that need made along the way.

What has been everyone’s experience? Is it really hard to keep yourself from the new found funds? I’m thinking we will keep sailing and let the snowball work for us.

in our case the credit cards and all else were gone before we paid off the mortgage so as we had funds free up (and even the most minute of income increases)-everything was funneled towards the mortgage. with the mortgage freed up we calculated how much our yearly property taxes/homeowner's insurance was, divided it by 12 and changed the monthly auto transfer for the mortgage into a 'reserve' payment to ourselves so we could pay those annual/bi-annual expenses as they come due. the remainder of what we paid to mortgage we decided to devote a portion to long term savings w/the rest to short term. we set up auto transfer on both amounts to individual savings accounts. when all was said and done while we saw no difference in what was in our checking account each month-our savings has absolutely benefited.

Thanks
I am 49, my parents are long gone, but when I was you DD's age I was married with a child. DH and I had been saving to take my parents on a trip with us, and we asked they reacted the same as you! It's adorable. But I would like you to know - being able to do that for my parents brought me the kind of joy that only comes once in a blue moon. I was absolutely elated when they agreed! Yes, I had to talk them into it, they were always frugal planners and it was kicking them out of their comfort zone. But, no one had done anything for them like this, either so for me to be able to was beyond special to me. And I couldn't help but watch them enjoying it the whole time we were there, so best gift to me! My advice - if you can swing your part, let them do this. Mine are gone, and it's still one of my most precious memories - giving something back to the most important people in my young life!

Thanks
Let them if they want to do this for you. My parents' 50th anniversary is this fall. I wanted to do something nice for them, so we got them tickets plus parking to a concert/comedy show with big names they've wanted to see, along with a gift card for dinner. They kept saying how generous we were but, they've done so much for us over the years that we wanted to reciprocate.

For me not really, but I can't think of any new found funds we have had. Sounds good, keep on going. Your SUV balance is really low, looks like that can be paid off fast if the amount stated is applied to it. I really hate shopping for new vehicles and already have new car regret in hindsight from what I ended up buying last year when I replaced my Acadia (didn't quite make it 10 years like I had planned), wishing I went a lot smaller, however, there are some aspects of it I'm enjoying and it fits in the carport! But, didn't plan well to take the time to replace my car while it had some life before it became immediately needing either to be replaced or work and expense overhaul.

We recently took out a HELOC as well as a few credit cards at 0% interest to finish our basement. We put as much as possible on auto-pay or automatic transfer so that the money just simply isn't available to spend another way. We are currently putting $1,000 per month towards these expenses and hope to increase that amount as our pay increases too. DH just got a $13k raise, but that new money was automatically diverted towards his car loan. Because it didn't go into our regular spending budget at all, it doesn't feel any different than before.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter