Debt Dumpers - 2019

I have a big work event today through Friday. My organization is hosting a 3-day summit that I was the point person on. All the planning, logistics, etc. has been taking up a huge portion of my time over the past 10 months and I cannot express how happy I will be once it is done and gone. I stayed up until 12:30 am last night putting final touches on the 2-hour workshop that I am hosting this afternoon. And then I can just relax and enjoy the rest of the summit, hopefully.

I told DD that her birthday was in 10 days and she said, "Disney!" I am so, so looking forward to this trip. I booked Savi's Workshop for DH (brother, SIL, and dad also booked). It will be his Hanukkah gift from me and DD. I almost have enough budgeted to cover the cost.

Happy indeed. I got to start using my brand new Mickey Halloween countdown calendar!
That is cute, I bet! I have never been one to decorate much for Halloween, but Michael's store has a tempting 40% off Halloween decorations! Of course, none of those are Disney related!
Our 16 1/2 year old scottie (she's really spry for her age) fell down a few stairs over the weekend. She seemed ok, but then she started limping Sunday.
Sorry about your dog! I get it, because mine has fallen a couple times, once from nearly the top she just went backwards. It was scary! She limped but nothing was broken. Those are the bedroom stairs, she's typically not content unless she follows me. She fell off the basement stairs also before which are steep and narrow in our house (if I was old I could never live here), and now will never go down or up them again, which is good because I don't have to make sure she's not following me down to do laundry. She refuses to get into cars, has to be lifted in, and doesn't jump on my bed anymore, either, so all that is good as I don't have to worry so much on her determination to get somewhere and injuring herself. She's not exactly a spry breed like a scotty, I have a 56 lb English Bulldog, and she's not very coordinated and fearful of more than 20 steps outside the house, so I don't have to worry she'll run off somewhere. But, she's a stubborn and pushy, and can throw her weight around or do the bulldog floor grip when protesting something like a bath or nails clip. But anyway, stairs are awful for some dogs, and even with my last set (not EBDs) before they passed, their last year or so they pretty much quit wanting to jump on furniture or attempt stairs. By the way, 16 1/2 years old is pretty impressive!

Dryer fixed, hopefully for good. Heating element shorted out which blew the fuse. Also he said the lint screen had a lot of stuck on gunk (not lint but more like a coating from dryer sheets) that was probably blocking air flow. He cleaned that off, told us to use a wire brush on it every so often, and replaced the fuse and element. He said it should be ok but also said to get a cap to put on the outside vent so birds can’t go in and make a nest or whatever. Guess we’ll see how it goes but this is the guy who came to repair last year so he seems to know what he’s talking about bc we didn’t have problems again until now. He put it all under a “recall” so we didn’t pay a cent this time. He said the dryer should still have plenty of life in it. Hope so.

Dryer fixed, hopefully for good. Heating element shorted out which blew the fuse. Also he said the lint screen had a lot of stuck on gunk (not lint but more like a coating from dryer sheets) that was probably blocking air flow. He cleaned that off, told us to use a wire brush on it every so often, and replaced the fuse and element. He said it should be ok but also said to get a cap to put on the outside vent so birds can’t go in and make a nest or whatever. Guess we’ll see how it goes but this is the guy who came to repair last year so he seems to know what he’s talking about bc we didn’t have problems again until now. He put it all under a “recall” so we didn’t pay a cent this time. He said the dryer should still have plenty of life in it. Hope so
That's great, fixed and you didn't have to pay.

Also he said the lint screen had a lot of stuck on gunk (not lint but more like a coating from dryer sheets) that was probably blocking air flow. He cleaned that off, told us to use a wire brush on it every so often

That's interesting to hear. It makes me feel like I should be cleaning mine off since I use dryer sheets. Did he use soap and water on it?

well as of today we are at 2 months out from our december 10 day universal trip so i announced to the household that i'm putting a moratorium on grocery shopping for the most part. we have a full freezer that i would prefer to see emptied by the time we leave so my goal is to use it up and ideally (for the most part) just have some prepared items from previous meals there for those busy december days (if i make meatloaf i'll make 2 and freeze 1, make soup/stew in a double batch and freezer half....). i already told them that i'm doing an abbreviated thanksgiving meal this year-just what can get consumed before we leave the following monday. i'll grab a small turkey sometime in december and do dh/dd's beloved 'leftover casserole' (not a fan of it myself but they love it). we will roll in around 1 in the morning the day we return so i'll pull some type of meat from the freezer out to defrost overnight and the crockpot can simmer the next day while i unpack, do laundry and try to make amends with the cats (hoping they will be kind to the holiday decorations i've gotten dh to agree to put up before we leave b/c i am not decorating only to take it down just a couple weeks later).

That's interesting to hear. It makes me feel like I should be cleaning mine off since I use dryer sheets. Did he use soap and water on it?
He used a stiff-bristled brush. I didn't see him do it but he showed me the brush so I could know what to do. He also did not say to stop using dryer sheets, just that we'd need to clean it every so often.

I haven't posted in a really long time! I'm over 75% done with my student loans and I recently got a new job which has been such a blessing. I also have two trips planned for next year! I'm going to Nashville for a wedding in January and WDW in March. My trip to WDW will just be me and my mom, her first trip home in 17 years! I'm so excited and I just want to spoil her. She deserves it! Our trip will be a Sunday to a Saturday, and we're staying at ASMo which is where we stayed 17 years ago. Visiting MK, Epcot, and AK and we will actually be at F&G on opening day!

When I graduated I told myself I wanted to have my loans paid off in three years, which would be this December. Last week I thought about it a lot and I realized that I'd much rather put my money towards a nice trip with my mom since this will probably be a once in a lifetime experience. I'm just going to make the minimum payments so I can afford a nice trip and then I'll have them paid off my next summer. I'm SO happy with my decision!

When I graduated I told myself I wanted to have my loans paid off in three years, which would be this December. Last week I thought about it a lot and I realized that I'd much rather put my money towards a nice trip with my mom since this will probably be a once in a lifetime experience. I'm just going to make the minimum payments so I can afford a nice trip and then I'll have them paid off my next summer. I'm SO happy with my decision!

You will never regret this time spent with your mom. Some day, hopefully a looong way off, when she's gone this trip will be one of the fond memories you look back on. I'm learning this now. We took so many trips with my parents and I don't regret a single penny spent. I certainly don't look at our trips and have it remind me that it may have delayed other goals. Have a wonderful time!!
:cloud9:

You will never regret this time spent with your mom. Some day, hopefully a looong way off, when she's gone this trip will be one of the fond memories you look back on. I'm learning this now. We took so many trips with my parents and I don't regret a single penny spent. I certainly don't look at our trips and have it remind me that it may have delayed other goals. Have a wonderful time!!
You are so right. I wish I had traveled with my mom and particularly back to her France when she was younger and more abled. I have mine still here on earth, but not really here, as she is losing to dementia and physical issues, loss of sight, etc. It's quite sad and something that I can't describe more than it's a slow heartbreaking and I'd willingly give some of my years to have her last ones be healthy of mind and body. I say make those experiences with who you love, while you are all able of mind and body, and do it while you can! If it's financially possible, and doesn't create a hardship. It's just a short time we are here and never know what tomorrow brings.

You are so right. I wish I had traveled with my mom and particularly back to her France when she was younger and more abled. I have mine still here on earth, but not really here, as she is losing to dementia and physical issues, loss of sight, etc. It's quite sad and something that I can't describe more than it's a slow heartbreaking and I'd willingly give some of my years to have her last ones be healthy of mind and body. I say make those experiences with who you love, while you are all able of mind and body, and do it while you can! If it's financially possible, and doesn't create a hardship. It's just a short time we are here and never know what tomorrow brings.

:sad1:
I'm sorry you're going through this. That must be so hard to have to witness. I have heard that about having a parent with dementia. That it's like losing them but they're still alive.
I hope things get better for you. :hug: :flower3:

My dad is still healthy with some medical issues and has lived well beyond the ages that all of his male relatives have lived to. I'm so grateful for that. I'd love to continue to make happy memories with him but all the joy is gone from his life now. Hopefully some day he can heal enough to want to do more.

The conference is done and it was a huge success. So many attendees said that it had the most relevant content for their work of any conference that they had ever attended. I got so much positive feedback about my 2-hour workshop as well. And the attendees were such an engaged group that asked tons of questions throughout. Since I basically planned the content and lined up the speakers, I am pretty thrilled to hear such feedback. I put so much work into this conference. I hope my boss remembers this when evaluation time comes around next year given that she gave me such a poor evaluation this past spring.

Well, after watching a bunch of Youtube videos, I decided to sign up for Savi's Workshop as well. I was able to snag the same time slot (yay!), so it will be me, DH, brother, SIL and my dad all making lightsabers together. I am leaning towards the Peace and Justice set. DH is set on the Power and Control set, as is my brother. SIL wants the I plan to bring DD as my guest and let her help me make my lightsaber. I also snagged an Oga's Cantina reservation for our entire group of 9 people. Plus my brother and dad will be making droids.

This weekend I am working on sewing DH's Halloween costume so that we can take them to Disney for MNSSHP. I am going to be Maleficent, DD is Aurora and DH will be Prince Phillip. You can't really buy a Prince Phillip costume anywhere (except Etsy for stupid money), so I am sewing the cloak, tunic, hat, and maybe the pants if I have time. If I run out of time, then he will just wear a pair of grey pants instead, which isn't super authentic since the pants should be brown, but oh well.

This weekend I am working on sewing DH's Halloween costume so that we can take them to Disney for MNSSHP. I am going to be Maleficent, DD is Aurora and DH will be Prince Phillip. You can't really buy a Prince Phillip costume anywhere (except Etsy for stupid money), so I am sewing the cloak, tunic, hat, and maybe the pants if I have time. If I run out of time, then he will just wear a pair of grey pants instead, which isn't super authentic since the pants should be brown, but oh well.

one of my favorite halloween memories was a disney cruise we did that fell on halloween. one family did an awesome cinderalla theme-their little ones were cinderella and prince charming while mom and dad were the ugly step sisters-made only better by virtue of dad's big old mustache :rotfl: :rotfl:

btw-goodwill or salvation army is a great resource for those grey pants.

Abby (our old furbaby) is on day 4 after surgery. She is doing really well, took the bandage off yesterday evening. She actually had a toe removed! DH described it as having the whole"toenail" removed, but when DS24 (Niko) and I took off the bandage it is indeed the toe. Oh well, nothing to do about that I guess. We called the vet to describe what the wound looked like, she said sounds good - now get her a head cone so she doesn't lick it. Whoa, did not even think about that. She hates everything that might touch her - we can barely get her to wear a collar, lol. She started trying to lick it every 4 seconds, so Niko ran down the street to Petco after we measured her and I got to be on "no Licking " duty. That just made me feel mean, heh, I kept getting dagger looks from her. We got the cone on her, now she walks around like she's drunk - this thing is seriously disorienting her. It catches on everything she tries to walk by, and makes her veer one side or the other. Last night we sat with her for a couple hours and took it off to give her a break and make a special meal. When we put it back on, we felt mean again. Dangit! Only a week ........

I'm sorry you're going through this. That must be so hard to have to witness. I have heard that about having a parent with dementia. That it's like losing them but they're still alive.
I hope things get better for you. :hug: :flower3:
Thank you. It is hard, sort of an early grieving. My mom is living much longer than her parents, they both passed in their 60s, so never experienced any age related parenting issues.
Well, after watching a bunch of Youtube videos, I decided to sign up for Savi's Workshop as well. I was able to snag the same time slot (yay!), so it will be me, DH, brother, SIL and my dad all making lightsabers together.
That is fun! I've heard about these. Do the videos mention best way to ship them back or hand carry if traveling by air to WDW? I haven't read anything about them, just heard about it on some Disney podcast and may be interested in checking it out when we go next year.

Thank you. It is hard, sort of an early grieving. My mom is living much longer than her parents, they both passed in their 60s, so never experienced any age related parenting issues.

That is fun! I've heard about these. Do the videos mention best way to ship them back or hand carry if traveling by air to WDW? I haven't read anything about them, just heard about it on some Disney podcast and may be interested in checking it out when we go next year.

One of the videos mentioned that they fit into the overhead bin. You get a carry bag for the lightsaber during the build session.

One of the videos mentioned that they fit into the overhead bin. You get a carry bag for the lightsaber during the build session.
I'm glad you posted on Savi's Workshop, I didn't even know you have to make reservations. I'll ask my kids if they want to do lightsabers during our trip.

I wonder when the Roundup Rodeo BBQ will open. I don't see any hint it will be open in April 2020 when we go.

In other news, my dog is ill again, back to the vet tomorrow and I think I'm looking at a pricier vet bill more so than last visit. Not keeping her food down again and looks fairly miserable. I had to keep her in the kitchen at night the last two nights rather than her kennel where she likes to sleep. I think bloodwork is in order as a full panel was recommended last visit if it continues, and possibly xray or MRI.

I'm glad you posted on Savi's Workshop, I didn't even know you have to make reservations. I'll ask my kids if they want to do lightsabers during our trip.

I wonder when the Roundup Rodeo BBQ will open. I don't see any hint it will be open in April 2020 when we go.

In other news, my dog is ill again, back to the vet tomorrow and I think I'm looking at a pricier vet bill more so than last visit. Not keeping her food down again and looks fairly miserable. I had to keep her in the kitchen at night the last two nights rather than her kennel where she likes to sleep. I think bloodwork is in order as a full panel was recommended last visit if it continues, and possibly xray or MRI.
Our furbaby went through something similar a few years ago, found out it was due to the grass she was eating in our backyard - weird. Apparently a grass call "fescue", which is in many grass seed mixes, can be toxic to animals. We started going outside with her and watching her to make sure she wasn't nibbling on it after that, and the vomiting stopped. So we ripped out the grass and relaid sod, she's been fine ever since. Don't know if your sweetie is a grass eater, but something to check! Now when we need seed, we check the label to make sure there is no fescue. Hoping and praying for you and baby!

Thank you. It is hard, sort of an early grieving.
My heart goes out to you. I'm in the same boat. Received news last week that my dad's tumors have doubled in size and spread to the lymph nodes in his neck. They meet with the radiologist tomorrow for the chance of the single option for comfort, not cure. Mom said that if the appointment doesn't go well (meaning, the radiologist says no because of Dad's other issues), they will go to Aulani before the end of the year. They've never been to Hawaii. I told her that I'd help her arrange the trip. Mom sent me a text yesterday evening (which is funny because we live next door to each other). What she didn't say in the text spoke volumes as to the hourglass of my dad's life.

In budget news, I have to up my grocery expenses for the next couple of weeks. Trying a gluten free diet to narrow down some issues. Two things: 1. GF bread products are EXPENSIVE! 2. GF bread is also tasteless and gross.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter