Debt Dumpers - 2019

Mid-May check in. Doing pretty well this month! DH got his bonus in his last paycheck and our savings account is now fully funded for a year's worth of mortgage payments! Our budget is looking pretty good for the month. We haven't eaten out AT ALL yet, which is huge for us! DH is traveling for work all this week so all of his expenses are covered on the company credit card. I paid our personal property taxes yesterday and a horse show fee for one of our horses, which was about $600 altogether. We probably have about $800 of work that needs to be done on DH's car soon too. And I need to buy hay for the year for my horses soon. So hopefully we can continue the trend of not eating out and I can transfer all of that budgeted money to the horse or car fund!

The only high-budget item so far this month is gas. Gas continues to go up in our area, even though I know it's lower than many parts of the country. I couldn't figure out why we had already spent $150 on gas this month when we've just had our normal commutes. Unfortunately, it's $40 to fill up my car right now. I've filled up twice and DH has filled up twice. At least his car is parked at the airport right now until late Friday night, so no gas used there.

A year's worth of mortgage payments?! That's amazing- for me that would be like 35K...ugg cost of houses is so high here..

I think most places around me are just under or just over $4/gal

.I pay on average $4.25/gallon

$40 to fill up is also amazing to me- costs me around $60 for my little car, as the cost of gas here is the equivalent of paying $5.30/gallon...at $4 you guys are lucky!

That is so exciting! Congrats! I feel you on the gas front. :crazy2: Being in CA we're notoriously known for our extravagant gas prices. I think most places around me are just under or just over $4/gal. :crazy2::crazy2::crazy2:

Ugh...I pay on average $4.25/gallon. My husband's car needs premium so it's like $4.75...

I'll be quiet now... I paid $2.60 on Sunday :flower3:

A year's worth of mortgage payments?! That's amazing- for me that would be like 35K...ugg cost of houses is so high here..

It's just under 20k for us, so technically we have a little more than that put away now. I'm thankful that DH gets bonuses and that we don't need to factor that into our normal income, so we have exclusively put that money and DH's tax refund into savings. We definitely aren't in a high housing market, which I'm thankful for. We have a small and unique house, but it came with 17 acres of land so it's worth every penny to us!

I've wanted to save everything we can due to some potential job insecurity on my part as well as it being an election year in my area. So I figure worst case scenario if something were to happen to my job, at least we have the money in savings to pay the mortgage and cut back everywhere else while living on DH's salary. I figure a year is ample time to either find another job or start my own business if need be.

If I make it out of the year with no problems, then I will take part of the money out of savings and pay off the remaining $4500 DH owes on his student loan.

:eek::eek::eek::crazy2::crazy2::crazy2: I guess I should be glad my car doesn't need premium. Your in SoCal right? At least in NorCal (where I am) we generally have slightly cheaper prices than other parts of CA. Except for the bay area where gas will always cost you a ridiculous amount.

Yep. Orange County. I go to Costco as much as I can, but DH fills up 2 times per week and it is always outside of Costco gas hours.

Ugh, our budget has gone to hell in a handbasket. We are just spending, spending, spending. Can't seem to stop. Some stuff was fun (my WDW trip, which was only a $500 total outlay for 5 days, so I think I did pretty good there), DH spent a weekend in Vegas at the last minute (part work related, but all expenses were on him), and we have been buying some things DH needs for his year in Japan, since the packers arrive next week for his stuff. We have spent $7000 this billing cycle, all told. Yikes!!! Luckily, we haven't run up more debt and we can pay it in full, but that means $0 to savings for both this month and next. Hoping to get back on track in July and really step it up since DH will be gone (and on a fixed monthly allowance) and with him gone, I can reign in the spending. Of course, I will be doing some staycations with the kids (GWL and Legoland), DH and I are going to Vegas for 3 nights next month, and DH asked me to book the Disneyland Hotel for a few nights over July 4 as a "last hurrah" with the kids before he leaves for Japan. I can't say no to that.

Luckily, we have now hit our out of pocket maximum for medical bills for the year, so at least I won't have any more of those expenses to worry about.

Mid May check in.

Cards at ZERO balance: 5

Card 1: $57.92 (budgeted for end of the month pay off)

Card 2: $347 (we're waiting to be reimbursed from our robotics club and the rest is budgeted for end of the month pay off). We are phasing out the use of this card but need to keep it as it's our first.

Card 3: Balance was $7974-$4310=New balance of $3664

Husband got second round of inheritance and one part went towards towards paying down debt and the other is going towards retirement accounts. It's also bonus time at work, so that allowed us cut this card's balance in half.

Card 4: $2470, I am paying the minimum each month on this one, it's zero interest until May 2020, so it will be the last to be paid off.

Card 5: $4720, we're still expecting our tax return, which hit a snag and is taking longer, but once it comes, I'll use it on this, and it will make a large dent. Until then, I'm throwing a few hundred a month at it. It's my Disney card, and I will need to use it a bit more before our trip.

Old total: 15,598.92
New total: 11,258.92

We redid our budget. We had our regular budget and then kind of a slapdash side budget for all the things that went on a card, like my husband's monthly spending, monthly subscriptions, phone bill, etc. But none of that was accounted for in our actual budget. So even though I was paying X amount towards credit cards a month, that amount was not going towards paying down the balance, but also towards our budget too, just on the back end of things, if that makes sense in a backwards way. So I changed it, so it's on the front end. So we're not paying the card, then spending the money. We have the money for it first, then spending it on the card. So from now on, the MAJORITY of the spending we put on them, will be budgeted and paid off biweekly (or weekly for my piece of mind).

The actual CC line in our budget will be what goes towards the actual balance carried over minus monthly spending. So I can see how much of a dent we'll make in it that month. So at the beginning of the pay period I will make one CC payment, which is the amount meant to be paid towards the balance we're carrying and trying to be paid down, and at the end of the pay period, I'll make another payment for the line items that are budgeted separately, but all paid on the cards, because my husband prefers it for several reasons.
We also sat down and had a conversation about line items that needed clarification. Our dinner/dining budget we habitually blow and I knew that was because we needed to set a realistic goal. So that is managed and planned for now. We also agreed on a set discretionary/allowance budget for both of us that we're happy with.

Yep. Orange County. I go to Costco as much as I can, but DH fills up 2 times per week and it is always outside of Costco gas hours.
I only fill at Costco cause gas is over $4/gallon other wise in my part of LA. I think I paid $3.80/gallon last week at Costco.

Had an unexpected $1500 repair on my car. Ugh. I tell myself it is still cheaper than a car payment! I feel like when I think we are doing good then one thing happens and we go off the rails. We clearly need to buck up and becoming a little more adult like and not throw it all out at the first sign of inconvenience. I have been suffering from a terrible case of tennis elbow so racking up medical expenses left and right and then because I'm in pain I don't want to eat the weight watcher way or make food or anything productive. I want junk take out and snack. I am finally starting to not be miserable all day and night so hopefully it is on the mend and I can focus again.

We were married on the 4th of July and decided this year to have a party. My husband has decided we will provide everything and just have people bring their own booz. We shall see how much this costs!

Car insurance time:
Well, I suppose Geico can't save me money on my car insurance like the commercial says :sad1:

It's my usual time to pay my semi annual car insurance bill and thought before I pay to check a quote elsewhere. I received the Fair Credit Reporting Act notice outlying why Geico quoted me a higher rate, sure sounds ugly! Age of accounts, 2 inquiries, my utilization is 0% when it should be over 1% (I'm supposing this is from paying off my statement in full before it's due-a reason not to?), months since most recent bank revolving account opened, etc. Anyway, this laundry list of reasons, can they add any more!? :rolleyes:

Ugh, our budget has gone to hell in a handbasket. We are just spending, spending, spending. Can't seem to stop. Some stuff was fun (my WDW trip, which was only a $500 total outlay for 5 days, so I think I did pretty good there), DH spent a weekend in Vegas at the last minute (part work related, but all expenses were on him), and we have been buying some things DH needs for his year in Japan, since the packers arrive next week for his stuff. We have spent $7000 this billing cycle, all told. Yikes!!! Luckily, we haven't run up more debt and we can pay it in full, but that means $0 to savings for both this month and next. Hoping to get back on track in July and really step it up since DH will be gone (and on a fixed monthly allowance) and with him gone, I can reign in the spending. Of course, I will be doing some staycations with the kids (GWL and Legoland), DH and I are going to Vegas for 3 nights next month, and DH asked me to book the Disneyland Hotel for a few nights over July 4 as a "last hurrah" with the kids before he leaves for Japan. I can't say no to that.

Luckily, we have now hit our out of pocket maximum for medical bills for the year, so at least I won't have any more of those expenses to worry about.
You managed WDW for only $500? Awesome! I know some is probably AP and points for hotel or air, but hey that's amazing!

Called WDW yesterday to inquire about the CBR rooms next April, surprisingly the room type was no longer available when I called. Already!? And strike out again on trying for Disney Hilton Head resort, I have called numerous times, I give up on that place! Taking it off the bucket list. I think best luck would be with DVC or renting through someone's DVC.

It's just under 20k for us, so technically we have a little more than that put away now. I'm thankful that DH gets bonuses and that we don't need to factor that into our normal income, so we have exclusively put that money and DH's tax refund into savings. We definitely aren't in a high housing market, which I'm thankful for. We have a small and unique house, but it came with 17 acres of land so it's worth every penny to us!

I've wanted to save everything we can due to some potential job insecurity on my part as well as it being an election year in my area. So I figure worst case scenario if something were to happen to my job, at least we have the money in savings to pay the mortgage and cut back everywhere else while living on DH's salary. I figure a year is ample time to either find another job or start my own business if need be.

If I make it out of the year with no problems, then I will take part of the money out of savings and pay off the remaining $4500 DH owes on his student loan.

And 17 acres of land too! Wow! You can't get 17 acres here (without any sort of house) for less than say 400K...sigh

It's my usual time to pay my semi annual car insurance bill and thought before I pay to check a quote elsewhere. I received the Fair Credit Reporting Act notice outlying why Geico quoted me a higher rate, sure sounds ugly! Age of accounts, 2 inquiries, my utilization is 0% when it should be over 1% (I'm supposing this is from paying off my statement in full before it's due-a reason not to?), months since most recent bank revolving account opened, etc. Anyway, this laundry list of reasons, can they add any more!? :rolleyes:

just for the heck of it-get a quote from farmers insurance. they give me a 10% discount for paying in full semi annually which i compound by using a farmer's no fee visa card to pay (and turn around and pay in full) to get 3% rewards (i save them up for a statement credit).

You managed WDW for only $500? Awesome! I know some is probably AP and points for hotel or air, but hey that's amazing!

LOL...no. $500 is just what I spent while I was there on food, drinks, and souvenirs, this billing cycle. My air was free with points, but I paid a total of $700 for my portion of the room at the Contemporary (5 nights split 3 ways with a 40% discount), $280 on my park hopper (military discount) and $120 on airport parking plus a random $55 for a one way rental car when my return flight got delayed so badly I would have missed my connection, so I changed flights and had to fly into a different airport and drive home after midnight after landing. So, all in, around $1700. I had paid the room portion and the ticket last month though.

$120 on airport parking
:crazy2::crazy2::crazy2: i HATE what it costs to pay to park at airports! i was THRILLED BEYOND BELIEF when i recently learned that the resort dd works at near our local airport extends the same free secured long term parking and airport shuttle service they offer their paying guests as a benefit to their vacationing employees. we've got a 10 day trip in december and i was NOT looking forward to having to pay for the premium parking garage (b/c no way did we want to come back to a car covered under a foot or more of snow in one of the uncovered lots).

i swear one of the biggest budget killers with vacations is all the peripheral expenses (parking, tips, appliance rental...) it adds up so quick!

:crazy2::crazy2::crazy2: i HATE what it costs to pay to park at airports! i was THRILLED BEYOND BELIEF when i recently learned that the resort dd works at near our local airport extends the same free secured long term parking and airport shuttle service they offer their paying guests as a benefit to their vacationing employees. we've got a 10 day trip in december and i was NOT looking forward to having to pay for the premium parking garage (b/c no way did we want to come back to a car covered under a foot or more of snow in one of the uncovered lots).

i swear one of the biggest budget killers with vacations is all the peripheral expenses (parking, tips, appliance rental...) it adds up so quick!

Between parking and Photopass and the renewal discount, this is why I buy the annual pass at WDW.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter