Debt Dumpers 2020

over the last few weeks we managed to pay our DVC loan in full! It was a pretty aggressive month to pay it down...DH worked a lot of OT And I sold a bunch of stuff on Poshmark. Moving on to DH’s truck now, which has a balance of 15k.
Great!:flower1:
My request for opinions is this: after the CC's are paid off this year, we are set to pay off our house in 3 - 3.5 years instead of 6.5 years. With this knowledge about the pension funds, should we look at just paying the 6.5 years and shoveling the extra payments toward a retirement fund of our own choosing? Or pay off the mortgage first and then deal with it then?
Do you mean investing in a traditional or Roth IRA in addition to the pension fund or just going on your own? I would do an IRA, Roth if I could in addition to whatever the employer offers, of course looking into first is that feasible and assuming there are no limitations on doing so. The house payoff wouldn't be in my first priority, but maybe to get it to payoff at 5 years, to feel better traction, this would maybe limit then what you may put into the retirement funding. But, I'd still go with retirement funding over the home payoff.

I wonder if it is better than it used to be. I tried it in college and it didn't really do anything. It was also really expensive back then. Or maybe my skin tone just isn't great for it? I am a bit more olive-skinned, but do have very dark hair.

The technology is definitely so much better than it used to be. I first looked into it 10 years ago and was shocked at all of the changes and improvement in the technology when I started looking into it again last year. They can handle a wider variety of skin tones and hair colors with good success.

Nothing too new and exciting in March, except that I was able to get some travel credit and returned points to my SW RR account for our WDW trip due to price drops, Coronavirus impact maybe? Last year it only dropped maybe a week or two after flights released and never again, now a drop. Will see if we even go at this point! But, if so happy to have the refund to my RR account. I wonder if rates are dropping at all on any of the Disney hotels in April?

Looks like we are scrapping the trip to Seattle next week for Emerald City Comic Con. Usually the tickets are non-refundable, but Reed Pop announced they are giving refunds. Still haven't cancelled the con...... yet. Several artists and literary guests have cancelled, if any more do there won't be anyone to see. Sad we can't go, but the money refunded will more than pay for the generator we bought, lol. Emergency savings already paid back! And I had $1000 set aside for spending money, so we're ahead.

i just read they are cancelling emerald city entirely-rescheduling for summer.

Do you mean investing in a traditional or Roth IRA in addition to the pension fund or just going on your own? I would do an IRA, Roth if I could in addition to whatever the employer offers, of course looking into first is that feasible and assuming there are no limitations on doing so. The house payoff wouldn't be in my first priority, but maybe to get it to payoff at 5 years, to feel better traction, this would maybe limit then what you may put into the retirement funding. But, I'd still go with retirement funding over the home payoff.
It would be an IRA or Roth, funded solely by us, as my employer will NOT contribute. We have a Roth account already, and hubby has a 401(k) that his lame employer used to contribute to but stopped about 2 years ago. Ugh. I also have a 401(k) that was a HUGE mistake to get into because they will not let me roll it over EVER, unless I leave employment here (I wish!) or turn 59 1/2. I'll have retired by then (due to a sweet pension rule). Don't worry, I'll still be working, but not here. I literally have the date written on a note in my desk drawer, under my pencil holder. June 2033. I told my husband I'm taking a year off and he'd better be prepared for that. :rotfl2:

I think that you've given me a good way of looking at it, to still pay off the mortgage a little early, but also invest in the future. Two birds...

I
Our lease is up in July, my DH wanted to move out but after looking around it's actually hard to do, I want to stay put another year even though I don't like the home, I can deal with it, much easier than moving out and the hassle of trying to find a home in our school boundary at the same or cheaper price. I took a peek and check daily, it is hard to find and have to move quickly if interested right now. I don't want to pay any more than we are now, and we are in a single family home. They move quickly in my area and get multiple offers if in a good price range and schools, particularly in the spring/summer moving season.
Sounds like staying put makes the most sense, and that you're in a pretty good situation in terms of cost and location. Just curious what you dislike about the home?

Just canceled that surprise trip with DH for his birthday. He actually asked to cancel it and either roll the money toward WDW or a trip to Boise. He's trying to talk me into retiring there...
Why Boise?

So 2020 has is shaping up to be a spendy year. My grocery bills are up about 20% now that we've got my stepdaughter living here. She also has additional medical expenses, which are pretty reasonable right now because I'd already hit my deductible due to her hospital stay late last year, but that will reset in July and then I'll be back to paying to paying 100% out of pocket for the first $6500 or so.

I also just bought a new dishwasher because the old one stopped cleaning well. My DH and I took it apart a few weeks ago and cleaned the scaly build up as best we could, but I think we actually made it worse! All in with delivery, installation, and hauling away of the old machine it will cost just under $600. It wont be delivered until next weekend so I'm hand washing everything right now, which is fine, but much prefer not to have to do that!

And I still have not done my taxes (I'll owe for sure) or bought a new car. I fully expect that at some point this year I'll end up stranded somewhere when my current vehicle just completely falls apart!

I hope everyone is doing well and gets to enjoy the spring equinox! 🌤

Why Boise?

boise is HOT, HOT, HOT-it is one of the up and coming places people are flocking to, esp. from california. the property values are going nuts. it's basically what portland was 'back in the day' (and the old school locals are not happy about the influx).

i just read they are cancelling emerald city entirely-rescheduling for summer.
I work for a science society and our annual meeting (Experimental Biology, if anyone has heard of it), which we host with four other societies, with about 12K attendees, just got cancelled on Friday. It was going to be in San Diego the first week of April. The is the second time in over 100 years of the society's existence that it's been cancelled. I am not disappointed personally, because I was nervous about the whole situation (plus it's a lot of work and long days, that has nothing to do with coronavirus) but I feel bad for the scientists who have put in a whole lot of work. This is what we work for all year and now it feels like it was all for nothing.

That said, we are supposed to go on vacation in late May to London and I hope nothing stops that!!

Sounds like staying put makes the most sense, and that you're in a pretty good situation in terms of cost and location. Just curious what you dislike about the home?
Our area is a hot rental market on single family homes in desired schools area alongside desirable commuting, particularly spring and summer when people tend more to come and go. Not uncommon to see multiple bids and things move really fast at the right location and price, as in it's possible to move a listing in a day. Sure, if looking further south there's more possibility of get more for your money and negotiating, but that's the drawback, further south and commute. Biggest dislikes are the floors, bathrooms, and windows. Floors squeak a lot, particularly upstairs. Our bedroom and bathroom floors particularly, I'm sure it took on water at some point in its history. The floors upstairs are slanted in rooms. The stairs are really squeaky also. The windows are super old, hard to open, definitely doesn't help with getting fresh air and the utility bill, and when cold outside it does not keep a good job insulating. I don't like the bathrooms, lack of counter space in all, very dated, and we have had a lot of plumbing issues. Kitchen is fine but dated, just miss having a pantry and there's not a lot of counter space. Minor gripe if you will is miss having a two car driveway, and no garage, have single car and carport, and yard is crazy hard to maintain. It's a tradeoff for location.

I'm user number 15,242 in line on the Kennedy Center website for Hamilton tickets. Should I give up?!

Our hotel for WDW in Nov. has changed for a 3rd time, but this will be the final time lol. One of my DH's co-workers is a DVC owner and offered up his points that he wasn't going to use by the end of the year to us at $10/point. We were able to book 2 studios at Saratoga Springs for the Wed-Sat we will be there. (We needed 2 rooms since my friends in Texas will be joining us.) Saratoga Springs was definitely not my first choice, but i'm sure it will be fine. Saratoga is his home resort so he was able to book now, vs waiting till the 7 month mark and possibly not being able to book 2 rooms. Anyone here have any useful tidbits about Saratoga they'd be willing to share?

Our hotel for WDW in Nov. has changed for a 3rd time, but this will be the final time lol. One of my DH's co-workers is a DVC owner and offered up his points that he wasn't going to use by the end of the year to us at $10/point. We were able to book 2 studios at Saratoga Springs for the Wed-Sat we will be there. (We needed 2 rooms since my friends in Texas will be joining us.) Saratoga Springs was definitely not my first choice, but i'm sure it will be fine. Saratoga is his home resort so he was able to book now, vs waiting till the 7 month mark and possibly not being able to book 2 rooms. Anyone here have any useful tidbits about Saratoga they'd be willing to share?
They are currently refurbishing SSR rooms, they've started with the preferred rooms first.

I'm user number 15,242 in line on the Kennedy Center website for Hamilton tickets. Should I give up?!
No! We saw it last time it came to the Ken Cen. DH was "in line" for hours and then got the email saying it was his turn. By then, only pricey tickets were left but we splurged and LOVED IT!

No! We saw it last time it came to the Ken Cen. DH was "in line" for hours and then got the email saying it was his turn. By then, only pricey tickets were left but we splurged and LOVED IT!
Thanks! It "only" took 4 hours for my queue to come up and I took the plunge. Nosebleed seats for sure, but the cheapest! However, not the dates at all I wanted, tried to get early in the season, ended up late.

Wait, it was about 2 hours, 45 minutes! I don't know why I had 8 am in my mind, I'm thinking about RotR for sure! Because I'm also watching dining reservations and watching/trying to make changes for other changes on the MDE. The Kennedy Center queue opened at 10 am, and queued at about 1245.

Bad timing with Mouse Dining alerts, as soon as an alert comes in, it's also gone a minute later :( Trying to move two reservations. FPs aren't budging at all.

Our hotel for WDW in Nov. has changed for a 3rd time, but this will be the final time lol. One of my DH's co-workers is a DVC owner and offered up his points that he wasn't going to use by the end of the year to us at $10/point.
Huzzah! Nice catch!

In my crazytown today, DH went to work, where the boss fired 40% of the employees this morning with no warning, citing that the Coronavirus will be shutting down schools and they are predicting a loss of profits. DH called me, said he "made the cut," but he needs to leave ASAP. He was driving a laid-off coworker home. :( And about an hour later, we found out that there may be light about the other job he's going for! So we are hopeful and he's keeping his head down. It's sad, really. He loved that job for years. But the owner/boss has been progressively getting weirder (made an employee drive 11 hours to the Christmas party after flights were canceled, accused my husband of telling former coworkers trade secrets, etc.). Hoping and praying this next job happens sooner rather than later.

In my crazytown today, DH went to work, where the boss fired 40% of the employees this morning with no warning, citing that the Coronavirus will be shutting down schools and they are predicting a loss of profits. DH called me, said he "made the cut," but he needs to leave ASAP. He was driving a laid-off coworker home. :( And about an hour later, we found out that there may be light about the other job he's going for! So we are hopeful and he's keeping his head down. It's sad, really. He loved that job for years. But the owner/boss has been progressively getting weirder (made an employee drive 11 hours to the Christmas party after flights were canceled, accused my husband of telling former coworkers trade secrets, etc.). Hoping and praying this next job happens sooner rather than later.
Wishing good luck with his job or next job if that is what works better!

Well, I saved or rather was credited, more for our WDW flight on SW. Is anyone getting caught up in NOT wanting to travel, as in the excitement of travel? I am starting to get this feeling myself with a late in the year cruise. Now, I think I'd rather do a VRBO and stay a week at a beach location rather than cruise. Still OK with WDW trip, but have had thoughts on if it'll all still be a go.

Well, I saved or rather was credited, more for our WDW flight on SW. Is anyone getting caught up in NOT wanting to travel, as in the excitement of travel? I am starting to get this feeling myself with a late in the year cruise. Now, I think I'd rather do a VRBO and stay a week at a beach location rather than cruise. Still OK with WDW trip, but have had thoughts on if it'll all still be a go.
I'm still anxiously awaiting my Nov cruise. I'm not concerned about the corona-virus, but I am concerned that our ship will be delayed again because of it. If it gets delayed again, then we're going to have figure out something else. Maybe a different cruise out of FL since we already have our airfare out there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter