Debt Dumpers 2020

I'm checking in.

Our schools are all closed to the kids. Teachers and staff have to come in. Not sure what sense that makes. "Lets keep the kids safe, but let the adults that watch and educate them get sick!!" So, for this week, I'm sitting in my room answering questions about their "alternate methods of instruction" by email and phone. Next week is our spring break, and the governor will re-evaluate around the 28th/29th as to if the schools will stay closed after that.

In a more personal note, I'm down to my last 2 rolls of toilet paper, but the local stores are completely sold out. Rationing may have to ensue if I don't manage to catch a package on the restock before these crazy hoarders snatch it up again. I am NOT looking forward to the options here. :rotfl2:

I am still waiting for the VA to come to a decision about my issues. The last they have "unofficially" said is that 1) the form I filled out before I was discharged has been updated, so they aren't obligated to do anything since the form is no longer valid, and 2) even if they do anything, it has been so long since I was discharged, they can not definitively determine what was caused by the Army and what was natural wear and tear due to age. But ... my service officer is telling me she is trying to get a positive outcome for me. And the estimated date for a decision is now March 31, so it looks like they are getting ready to do something. I may need to start looking for an appeals lawyer.

On the debt front. I've gotten rid of a couple of my medical debts, but in January I had another procedure on my back, so that added 2 more. *sigh*. Luckily, one of them is only about $80, so I'll have it paid off this month. The other was $951, so that will take most of this year (or longer) to knock out. Two steps forward, 1 3/4 back.

Kids are out of school until April 13th here. Their spring break isn't until April 6th so the school is trying to pull together online work for them to start next week. My job was doing 50/50 rotation but they announced today that everyone will be working from home by Monday March 23rd with no end date identified. Library is closed until April 6th, and can only pick up food to go or drive thru. Grocery stores are doing the best they can to restock. They have changed the grocery store hours as well. We don't normally eat out but we are budgeting to do to go orders for a few local places that we like. They are mom and pop type of places and we want to do our part to keep them in business. We may also just buy gift cards for family and friends as well. Stay safe!

Excited to share I paid off my car and only $100 away from having emergency fund completed. Thank goodness for a great bonus and not owing any taxes this year.
:banana::banana::banana::banana:
San Francisco has ordered a shelter in place protocol (https://www.businessinsider.com/san-francisco-lockdown-coronavirus-disease-bay-area-2020-3) I wonder how long it will take to reach us here in Sacramento. I'm sure Sacramento will probably end up following suit.
Same, neighbor, same.
Hand sanitizer is 60%+ alcohol. It might have an expiration date, but it is still going to kill viruses even after that date.
Shush you and your facts. He doesn't want to hear facts. JUST BUY ALL OF THE TOILET PAPER!

Also, I'm glad that I'm not buying things except those that'll help if we get locked up, because some of the stuff on the Disney website is so stinking cute.

Kids are out of school until April 13th here. Their spring break isn't until April 6th so the school is trying to pull together online work for them to start next week. My job was doing 50/50 rotation but they announced today that everyone will be working from home by Monday March 23rd with no end date identified. Library is closed until April 6th, and can only pick up food to go or drive thru. Grocery stores are doing the best they can to restock. They have changed the grocery store hours as well. We don't normally eat out but we are budgeting to do to go orders for a few local places that we like. They are mom and pop type of places and we want to do our part to keep them in business. We may also just buy gift cards for family and friends as well. Stay safe!

Just a thought. I know you want to help, but maybe reconsider the gift cards, in case they go out of business. Maybe just treat your family and friends to takeout now.

Just finally finished cancelling everything for our Spring Break vacation in Orlando March 21-28. Disney made their part easy. Airlines made their part easy. Timeshare exchange — that took hours and hours on hold over 3 days. Ugh. I have to admit the growing stress over the last 2 weeks over my daughter’s college situation (which changed daily, then several times per day), our “are we going, are we not” “what’s it going to cost me to cancel” “it’s really not responsible to travel for recreation right now” “oh, Disney is CLOSED” vacation situation, and my job making no announcements or plans whatsoever until Thursday and then we have been going 90 miles per hour to prepare for potential shutdown of courts and work at home....my brain and body are feeling the stress. All of you are in my thoughts as we navigate these unknowns.

on the bright side-ds is just about done with his on-line class

didn't know it-but HE"S DONE!!! submitted the first of 2 papers due for his final last night w/the 2nd due next sunday. got an email w/the grade for the first saying the college has chosen to call it quits for the quarter so since he was at a 92% he stays there for his final grade :cheer2:

we are hunkered down with absolutely nowhere to go/no obligations at this point for an entire calendar month.

i gotta say, i never thought there would be a bright side to ds's only real social contact being playing d&d on-line
Agreed! Ds is special needs and only plays Final Fantasy online with people all over the world, he never goes anywhere anyways. Food is more of an issue, since he gets a craving and that might be all he wants for a week. I've warned him he'll have to "eat what we have". He said he's fine with that. He's a trooper.

Happy St. Paddy's day everyone!! Furbaby made it to her birthday!!!! She is 17 today, and even though she was diagnosed with cancer last Oct., she has been doing surprisingly well. Only walks on the 3 legs still, and sleeps a lot, but still kind of energetic at times. And mostly not in pain - although I do have her pain meds ready if she needs them. Blessings to all of you!!

Well, I'm out essentially working from home/out of work for the next three weeks. My office was closed yesterday, today, and tomorrow, and then we start on a rotational schedule. Basically only 2 attorneys and about 4 staff members will be allowed in our office at any time (out of the normal 50+). So right now I'm scheduled to come in Thursday, next Wednesday, and the following Tuesday. My boss told me that could all change in an instant depending on what's happening though.

I ran out again yesterday to just grab a couple more grocery items. It wasn't too bad out. Shelves definitely getting more bare but nothing crazy, other than TP/cleaners. Everyone was friendly, but the number of elderly people I saw out was concerning. My mom (61) is still going to work but isn't in a huge office and is mostly just on the phone all day, so not much public interaction in person.

All of the sacramento county schools are out of session until april. I dont work for a school district itself, but with the county office and we are still supposed to report to work at this point.

i heard about the shelter in place orders in the other counties and i had a flash back to days following the loma prieta earthquake. at the time i lived in napa county but worked for one of the bay area counties. i was considered essential staff so despite the orders not to cross the bridges i had to report to work-shortest commute time ever. i haven't seen any footage of it but i have to imagine i-80 going in the bay area and up towards sac must be wastelands.

I ran out again yesterday to just grab a couple more grocery items. It wasn't too bad out. Shelves definitely getting more bare but nothing crazy, other than TP/cleaners

had run a 'vital' errand friday (ds's preordered video game came out :rolleyes: ) and ran into the store to grab a few things-not terribly low in any category except tp. went in again yesterday a.m. and it was a whole different world-almost no meat, breads, tp/paper towel aisle totally empty. dairy case decimated/very low on refrigerated juices. i was in search of a bottle of distilled water for dh's cpap machine and came up empty handed at 2 grocery stores (staff said it didn't matter what kind of water-people were buying it), finally found it at an ace hardware (i saw a good supply of the kind of cleaning products people are coveting there-guess it doesn't occur to shoppers to try an alternative to the grocery or warehouse stores).

stay safe, have a great st. patrick's day!

i heard about the shelter in place orders in the other counties and i had a flash back to days following the loma prieta earthquake. at the time i lived in napa county but worked for one of the bay area counties. i was considered essential staff so despite the orders not to cross the bridges i had to report to work-shortest commute time ever. i haven't seen any footage of it but i have to imagine i-80 going in the bay area and up towards sac must be wastelands.

I can't imagine how scary that must have been! We're still waiting here at my job to see whether or not they'll finally just tell us all to go home. With all the school districts being out, we don't have a lot to do at the moment. I haven't paid attention to much to i-80 going to/from the bay area, but 50 here in Sac has been a ghost town compared to what it normally is every day.

There are definitely some great flight deals out there right now! We were supposed to go to Texas for a weekend in July, but we ended up switching to memorial day weekend for half the cost! I also booked a weekend in June, just in case there are travel restrictions over memorial day weekend.

There are definitely some great flight deals out there right now! We were supposed to go to Texas for a weekend in July, but we ended up switching to memorial day weekend for half the cost! I also booked a weekend in June, just in case there are travel restrictions over memorial day weekend.

We have a trip to Texas planned for Memorial Day weekend and I am not too optimistic that we will actually be going.

We have a trip to Texas planned for Memorial Day weekend and I am not too optimistic that we will actually be going.
I feel you! It's why I figured i'd book a back up date for June. (Gotta love booking on SW with points.) Worse case scenario if June is also looking iffy....we'll just have to figure out another weekend to go or wait until November to see our friends.

We all adjust to this. I know I'm not the only anxious one. My writer's conference has been canceled. Kids' schools. And yet, I am trying to find joy. I have an important medical test that is still scheduled for tomorrow. DH's surgery is still on for Monday and it's one that is necessary for him (I don't get to even come in the building and will stay in the car for 2.5 hours). I have a coworker waiting to hear back about her COVID test, but they are so backlogged that we've already been exposed. But I have toilet paper and coffee.

I'm checking in.

Our schools are all closed to the kids. Teachers and staff have to come in. Not sure what sense that makes. "Lets keep the kids safe, but let the adults that watch and educate them get sick!!" So, for this week, I'm sitting in my room answering questions about their "alternate methods of instruction" by email and phone. Next week is our spring break, and the governor will re-evaluate around the 28th/29th as to if the schools will stay closed after that.

In a more personal note, I'm down to my last 2 rolls of toilet paper, but the local stores are completely sold out. Rationing may have to ensue if I don't manage to catch a package on the restock before these crazy hoarders snatch it up again. I am NOT looking forward to the options here. :rotfl2:

I am still waiting for the VA to come to a decision about my issues. The last they have "unofficially" said is that 1) the form I filled out before I was discharged has been updated, so they aren't obligated to do anything since the form is no longer valid, and 2) even if they do anything, it has been so long since I was discharged, they can not definitively determine what was caused by the Army and what was natural wear and tear due to age. But ... my service officer is telling me she is trying to get a positive outcome for me. And the estimated date for a decision is now March 31, so it looks like they are getting ready to do something. I may need to start looking for an appeals lawyer.

On the debt front. I've gotten rid of a couple of my medical debts, but in January I had another procedure on my back, so that added 2 more. *sigh*. Luckily, one of them is only about $80, so I'll have it paid off this month. The other was $951, so that will take most of this year (or longer) to knock out. Two steps forward, 1 3/4 back.
Are you a little bit handy with some tools?
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Brondell-CleanSpa-Luxury-Handheld-Bidet-in-Silver-CSL-40/203927020
I just ordered 2 of these along with 2 of the hot/cold mixers sold separately. I thought dh would love this but hates cold water. It will be an early Father's Day gift. They have a 90 day return policy so I will hold onto them for a bit in case $ starts to become an issue.

Crazy here too. No surprise since the entire world is also.
My hours haven't been cut but we have more staff than we need right now. We're not doing any screening mammograms. Only doing those with a diagnostic script for new problems, follow up of previous problems, those with a history of breast cancer, and core biopsies. It's around half the usual workload. We are all taking turns taking a day off here and there but it's not free. We have the choice to use vacation hours or take it with no pay. Since our cruise was cancelled and we have no vacation plans until next Feb, I might as well use vacation hours as long as I can.

My dad is still in such deep grief that we can't just stay away from him for 2 months. He still comes over for dinner and I try to just hug his back instead of getting too close face to face. I'm so afraid of getting him sick in case I'm a carrier and don't know it yet.

All this 'what if' thinking just makes my brain bleed. I'm thankful that we have a lot of savings we can turn to if needed. (close to $40k without having to touch retirement accounts) A lot of that $ is earmarked for other things like our escrow account for property taxes & HO Insurance, Car insurance, etc. but at least it's there if we are ever desperate. So many people are in such dire situations. It wasn't that long ago for us that we had a crapload of cc debt and struggled to make minimum payments. I'm sad for so many people out there living check to check or now without a job or business owners having to close; so many people's income just cut completely.

I really wish I'd get notifications for this thread. It would be so much easier to keep up.

Hang in there everyone! Be safe! Some day this will be a distant memory.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter