Debt Dumpers 2024

pblack

DIS Veteran
:welcome:As 2023 is coming to a close, I figured I'd go ahead and get the Debt Dumpers 2024 thread going. Please continue to post your 2023 recaps on the 2023 board, but as you're working on your goals for 2024 post them here!

If you're new to the debt dumping thread, welcome! We're a friendly bunch who encourage each other in their wins and losses. No negativity allowed here! Most of us post a mixture of our debt dumping goals and personal goals, but it's not a requirement! Please post whatever you feel comfortable with and let us help cheer you on. :cheer2::cheer2:

Ok I will kick this thread off with my financial/personal goals. These are subject to change as I continue to think about them, but it's at least a start.

2024 Financial Goals:
  • Add at least $2000 to my main emergency savings on top of my auto contributions
  • Increase my contributions to my other savings goals by at least $25/each pay period
  • Look into a living will/trust (We have friends that keep telling us to do this and with everything going on in my life at the moment, I feel like I should actually look into this more.)
2024 Personal Goals:
  • Exercise at least 3 times a week for at least 30 minutes
  • Travel as much as possible
  • Replace the patio cover in our backyard
  • Finally do something with our side yard - not sure exactly what at the moment
Can't wait to hear about everyone's goals for the new year!

Back in for 2024.

2024 Financial Goals

• Mortgage: Reduce balance by at least 50% - this might sound aggressive, and it is, but I have been on a track the past couple of years to have my mortgage paid off by end of 2025, so tackling half of the balance this year falls in line with that.
  • Savings: Increase savings by 10%
  • 401K: Max out contributions
  • HSA: Max out contributions
  • Stay under budget in discretionary spending. I am going to continue focusing on my discretionary spending this year. I am so pleased with how I was able to cut my spending over 50% between 2022 and 2023. I do not need to continue to reduce these expenses, just continue on a cash budget for discretionary spending (includes food and general household items - for both humans and cats - personal care items, clothing, donations, gifts, and entertainment).
2024 Personal Goals

• Help DS18 with life plans – ideally he is either taking classes with his current part time job or has transitioned to a full time job by end of year.
  • Get a will drawn up - I have family members who have similar goals with wills this year and we have agreed to hold each other accountable to get this done.
  • Get healthier – last year I kept this vague by saying “make better food choices and exercise.” I am going to up the ante on this one and specifically name a 30 pound weight loss goal.
  • Vacation plans – have a sister trip planned in mid-January to Florida. For DH and I, our 20-year anniversary is in May and I would like to do something special for it, but we don’t have specific plans at the moment.

signing on-still working on 2024 budget and goals but our social security statements with the new net monthly income amounts arrived yesterday so that will be helpful.

Look into a living will/trust (We have friends that keep telling us to do this and with everything going on in my life at the moment, I feel like I should actually look into this more.)

Get a will drawn up - I have family members who have similar goals with wills this year and we have agreed to hold each other accountable to get this done.

it took a tremendous load off of us when we finally accomplished this stuff a few years ago. one thing i will suggest after having to administer 2 family member estates (one a trust, one a straight forward will)-in addition to doing the formal paperwork take the time to get one of the little inexpensive spiral notebooks that are named by titles like 'what my family should know' or 'for those i leave behind' and fill in the information. one of the most difficult issues taking care of things is trying to figure out and manage day to day things like utilities (passwords for online accounts/do they still hold a deposit for you), who your different types of insurance are through, do you have any charges/subscriptions on auto-renewal, pensions (and who to contact, how to contact-we dealt w/the state of california on one and it was a nightmare trying to report the death and get the right person to apply for the death benefit they were due since the spouse had long passed. caused us to get paperwork filed with both our pension administrators which we learned needed to be their specific paperwork and took a minimum of 6 months to have them process). find out if your home state allows a transfer on death on autos (we could'nt transfer absent it for 3 months, could'nt take it out of state to store, could'nt legally insure it which meant technically we would'nt be able to sell it when the 3 months was up). list major home improvements and other things pertaining to property ownership that could impact sale of a home. include a copy of a tax return to act as a roadmap for the person(s) who have to do the next one....

these can also be of tremendous help in the event a person becomes incapacitated.

I'd like to take part in this type stuff and have some accountability. But DW and I can barely stay afloat living pay check to pay check. In fact, many times, we have more week than money. It sucks. We've tried and tried to do these types of groups/posts/threads, but we don't have any luck. Zero savings, zero in the account, etc. So we don't even know where to start to make it successful.

I'd like to take part in this type stuff and have some accountability. But DW and I can barely stay afloat living pay check to pay check. In fact, many times, we have more week than money. It sucks. We've tried and tried to do these types of groups/posts/threads, but we don't have any luck. Zero savings, zero in the account, etc. So we don't even know where to start to make it successful.
I would suggest starting with a monthly budget if you haven't already tried that. I like the EveryDollar app (it's free). Set your budget for January and try to stick to it. You will find that at first, you won't get it right and will have to adjust each month as you move forward. While I don't agree with everything Dave Ramsey preaches, his book Total Money Makeover was an eye-opener for me. It helped me understanding budgeting, getting and staying out of debt, and saving. It's a quick read. If you get it now, you should be able to set up a budget for Jan 1.

ETA: I don't really participate in this thread as I finally am at the point where I am living without any debt. But I do read the posts as a former "debt dumper."

I would suggest starting with a monthly budget if you haven't already tried that. I like the EveryDollar app (it's free). Set your budget for January and try to stick to it. You will find that at first, you won't get it right and will have to adjust each month as you move forward. While I don't agree with everything Dave Ramsey preaches, his book Total Money Makeover was an eye-opener for me. It helped me understanding budgeting, getting and staying out of debt, and saving. It's a quick read. If you get it now, you should be able to set up a budget for Jan 1.

ETA: I don't really participate in this thread as I finally am at the point where I am living without any debt. But I do read the posts as a former "debt dumper."

former debt dumper here as well. i enjoy this this particular thread b/c it helps keep me on track. i like hearing of ways people have found to save money/cut back on expenses b/c every little bit helps esp. these days with the cost of living.

since we are at the end of this calendar year i'll pass on one tip that can save money for the new year-

if you have medical insurance that has a deductable you have to meet before scrips are covered AND you've met it for 2023-check all your scrips and see if any are eligible for re-fill (even if you normally would'nt refill till a month or more out from now for non daily meds)-get them refilled before months end. on the flip side-take time to read through any materials your insurance has sent for 2024 coverage to see if they've instituted any cost savings on scrips-things like getting a 90 day vs. 30 day through mail order vs. using a brick and mortar pharmacy.

I'm in! In 2023 I tried to report once a week to keep me on track, but I may drop that down a bit for next year. I'm also trying to make more S.M.A.R.T. goals. For 2023 I just needed to "start somewhere" and that was fine, but I want to up my game, so I'll keep a running total for everything. The cash amounts may not seem like much, but it is when you consider how much I make and how tight my budget is.

Financials:
1. Put an extra $2000 on my mortgage. $0/$2000
2. Put $2000 in savings to help pay for yearly bills (comes out in November). $0/$2000

Other:
1. Clean out 500 items of junk. 0/500
2. Make an "in case of death" folder (containing will, important info). 0/1
3. Get 60 minutes of exercise per week. 0/52
4. Read at least 1 non fiction book related to professional development. 0/1
5. Do 12 hours of skills development (example, take a course). 0/12
6. Find a new job! (carryover from previous year). 0/1
7. Finish some of the partially done craft projects I have (carryover from previous year). 0/2
8. Organize my "stuff". 0/10
9. Do at least 1 home improvement project. 0/1

I may add to these later, but it's a start!

Last edited:
Been there! I'm not THAT much better off now, but things have improved a bit. There's not much you can do when you don't have a lot to work with. The first thing I'd suggest it to write down everything you spend, and I do mean EVERYTHING. After a few months you'll start to see patterns, and that will help you figure out where you can make changes. But if you lie to yourself about where the money goes, then it won't help at all.

Been there! I'm not THAT much better off now, but things have improved a bit. There's not much you can do when you don't have a lot to work with. The first thing I'd suggest it to write down everything you spend, and I do mean EVERYTHING. After a few months you'll start to see patterns, and that will help you figure out where you can make changes. But if you lie to yourself about where the money goes, then it won't help at all.
I second this. A good place to start is to make a couple/few goals, they don't have to be anything outrageous. Could be something as 'small' as "save $100." Once you start tracking all of your expenses you can see what you can try and cut down on/out. A good number of years back now, before we started debt dumping, I noticed my DH getting Starbucks almost every day and once we calculated how much money he was actually spending, we found alternatives to him going to Starbucks (making his own cold brew at home, buying bigger things of cold brew at the store, etc). Even now he'll go through energy drink phases where he'll go to the gas station every few days to get some. I've tried to combat this by buying them at the grocery store/Costco for cheaper and then he just brings it with him to work. Just a couple examples.

I know for a lot of people eating out is the biggest culprit. My best friend and her DH are huge culprits of this. She's always complaining they don't have a ton of money, but they also eat out more than anyone else I know. Not saying this is your issue, but tracking where your money is going and being honest with yourself (like goofytinkerbell said) will really help.

Just remember [probably] all of us have started where you are. We're all just doing the best with the hands we've been dealt. @WDW_fan_in_TX please feel free to join us this year. This group is great at cheering on wins big or small and offering advice when needed.

ETA: Another way to "find" money to throw at debt, or just in savings, is to start selling things you no longer need around your house. I sell stuff on Mercari and when things actually sell it goes straight to my vacation fund.

Last edited:
I second this. A good place to start is to make a couple/few goals, they don't have to be anything outrageous. Could be something as 'small' as "save $100." Once you start tracking all of your expenses you can see what you can try and cut down on/out. A good number of years back now, before we started debt dumping, I noticed my DH getting Starbucks almost every day and once we calculated how much money he was actually spending, we found alternatives to him going to Starbucks (making his own cold brew at home, buying bigger things of cold brew at the store, etc). Even now he'll go through energy drink phases where he'll go to the gas station every few days to get some. I've tried to combat this by buying them at the grocery store/Costco for cheaper and then he just brings it with him to work. Just a couple examples.

I know for a lot of people eating out is the biggest culprit. My best friend and her DH are huge culprits of this. She's always complaining they don't have a ton of money, but they also eat out more than anyone else I know. Not saying this is your issue, but tracking where your money is going and being honest with yourself (like goofytinkerbell said) will really help.

Just remember [probably] all of us have started where you are. We're all just doing the best with the hands we've been dealt. @WDW_fan_in_TX please feel free to join us this year. This group is great at cheering on wins big or small and offering advice when needed.

ETA: Another way to "find" money to throw at debt, or just in savings, is to start selling things you no longer need around your house. I sell stuff on Mercari and when things actually sell it goes straight to my vacation fund.
I definitely vote for starting small!! It's a nice idea to have lofty goals, but it almost always ends with discouragement and failure. S.M.A.R.T. goals are also good, because it creates more accountability than just "cut back on spending". It's fine as a start (I did that last year just to get moving) but it's better to say "cut back by $x or y%" so progress is easier to see.

Selling unused items is a great idea too, and has the added bonus of decluttering. That's actually something I'm trying to do myself right now, though I think I'm not going to have much luck until well into the new year (timing matters).

@trenty has some good tips. Dave Ramsey's snowball is what got us started paying down credit cards. I didn't buy his book but I read all about the Baby Steps on his website and watched many of his YouTube videos. Some of his advice I did not follow. For example, his "scortched Earth" idea of cutting spending back so much I could not do but I did reconsider every purchase to decide if it's a need or a want and tried to limit my wants and became very selective about whether it is worth spending on. I looked at every purchase as that much less I can put toward debt this month.

He also recommends stopping retirement savings. When I first started here in 2013 (hey, this is my 10 year anniversay!) I was mid 40's and dh was mid 50's and felt we are too old to stop paying into retirement. Dh had already frittered away his 20s and early 30s before we dated. It just felt foolish to stop saving for retirement, even though it certainly would speed up the debt payoff process.

His other advice was spot on for paying off debt.
Step 1: First save $1000 for a mini emergency fund. This isn't for Fri night pizza craving. This is for if your washer dies or flat tire can't be repaired, it keeps you from charging more on a credit card. To save this first $1000, either sell stuff around the house or work extra or find ways to simply not spend.
Step 2: Next, make a list of debt from smallest amount to largest amount. Pay only the minimum on all except the smallest. Do all that you can to attack it. Our smallest was only $250 on our Sears card for a lawn mower that was $25/month. It only took a few months to pay off and then it felt great to have one small "win". Just felt good to be able to cross one bill off the list. Then take that min payment that was going to first bill and apply it to 2nd bill on the list. So in my example, that $25 that was going to Sears, was then going to bill #2, Amazon card for kitchen faucet. I think that was $300 and $25/month. So now it's getting $50/month and paying it off takes less time than it did for bill #1. Keep going down the line, keep paying minimums on all the larger ones and keep attacking the smallest. Your montly payment amount will keep growing, hence the Snowball name.
By the time I got to the bigger ones, like $8k and $10k, my monthly snowball was like $800. So even though that $10k bill felt like the size of mountain when I first started, by the time was snowball was that huge, each month it was chomping huge bites of that mountain, so that it still didn't feel like it was taking very long.

I made a list (Word document) of each paycheck for the month and a list of bills that each check needs to pay. On the check that would have paid the $25 to the Sears bill, instead it went to Amazon or Chase, or Citibank or whatever that next goal was. I still wasn't disciplined enough to just make monthly payments. Some weeks our paychecks had $0 snowball and other checks had several bills on the list that were paid off which means they're part of the snowball now. After a short time, I was very excited when it was time to pay bills so I could log in and see the lower balance. It was very motivating. Finally making some progress instead of throwing some extra here and there and getting nowhere.
Any OT, Christmas gift money, birthday gift money, etc. all went to debt. It took 15 months to pay off credit cards. Then we attacked dh's truck loan. Then we took on some Parent Plus loans ($15k) and paid them off. Just when we could start to see the light at the end of the tunnel and be able to start on our mortgage, ds23, then 20, wanted to attend welding school so we tacked on $9k to debt. (I felt I had to help him since we helped our older ds as well with much more than $9k.) It was money well spent as he hit the $100k mark for income already this year at just 23 years old and he's saving for a house.
So we plowed through paying that off and with covid cutting out all of our travel plans, (my elderly, grieving dad has COPD and I couldn't risk giving it to him.) I needed something to attack :laughing: so finally it was the mortgage. Now that is gone too.

Ten years ago I never would have believed I could do it. I felt like I was walking along the edge of a cliff, risking my family's stability because I liked to spend money I didn't have. Like the saying goes, "A journey of 1000 miles begins with one step." So take that step now! You can do it! :hug:

One more thing I did in the beginning of the debt paydown process was to look at any bank fees and squash them. Our bank at the time charged $15/month for any month that our balance dropped below $100. I made sure I kept that $100 balance and did not dare drop below. I eventually switched banks to one that only charges fees if you're overdrawn.
I also was very careful to pay all bills on time so that there were no late fees. Sometimes being late leads to higher interest rate so another reason to pay on time, every time.

I was unaccustomed to spending so much time on bill paying and budget planning but I felt that I needed to really focus and devote the time to this important task. Part of my problem before was barely reading the whole cc statement, just seeing what is the minimum and just quickly sending some extra here and there. It took a while to see what my neglect was doing. It took even longer to accept that it was my fault and had to tell dh.

The hardest part was just telling friends and family, "No. Sorry we can't do _______________ with you this year. We can't afford it right now." After saying it a few times, I got over it just fine. Heck with keep up with the Joneses. I'm ok with being thrifty little me and being able to sleep easy at night. I splurge on things that I feel are important but we save for those splurges in advance now.

Good luck @WDW_fan_in_TX :shamrock:

ruadisneyfan2 has great, great advice. I did something similar and will briefly share my story (again) for any newcomers.

Started my path in 2009 with 1 income, 5 figure credit card debt, 5 figure school loan, and 5 figure bank loan (that I had taken out to consolidate prior credit card debt and then let myself accumulate it again - head smack). I also had a mortgage but that was not part of the focus.

I did a version of DR and the snowball where I focused on one debt at a time. Played the 0% interest game with CC balance transfers (which admittedly is not as easily available as it was 15 years ago). Set up a detailed Excel spreadsheet to track income and expenses. I planned what expenses I needed to pay with each paycheck and whatever was left was what we lived on. Took me 2.5 years, no vacations, and living on a cash budget (sometimes scrounging change to buy milk before payday) but not only did it work and work quickly (I paid off the school loan and bank loan early), I also learned a lot about my spending habits and how to live within my means. I didn't allow myself to use credit cards AT ALL. I kept one - but not in my purse - for any TRUE emergencies, that thankfully didn’t happen.

I will say that we had to add a car loan during those years (DH’s 15+ yr old car died, he had just started a new job after being a SAHD for 5 years, and we are rural with no public transportation) but, by that point I had learned so much about budgeting that I feel like we did it smart. With 2 incomes I was able to pay that loan off 18 months early.

It‘s a journey, but it really will get you to a good place down the road. That's why, 15 years later, my "debt dumping" goals are more about savings, planning for retirement, and paying my mortgage off in 10 years instead of 30.

You make many excellent points jackers. It absolutely teaches you the best way to learn to live not only within your means but below your means. Many years before I joined here, our credit cards were crazy high, well into 5 digits, as if 6 digits was a goal. :guilty: We lucked out at the time that interest rates were low so we refinanced our mortgage and took out some equity. It paid off all our cards but didn't teach my dumb a$$ any lesson in self control or budgeting. We still had the attitude in the back of our minds that we work hard, we have good combined income, and we "deserve" this, whatever this is we're contemplating charging.
Our card balances of course crept right up, not quite what they were before but well on their way. I knew we didn't have any more equity to pull from the house and I knew in my heart that was no way to live. Our mortgage at that point was $50k more than what we paid for our house, which made me sick to think about. We bought our house the same week we had our first child. A few years after we bought, rates dropped and we refinanced and also switched to a 15 year mortgage, not taking any cash out. He was probably 3 at the time because I remember thinking, by the time he's 18 and ready for college, the house will be paid off. That will free up money to pay for his college. How mad I was at myself that 13 years later, our balance owed was higher than what we paid for our house. :headache: I could kick myself.

I knew we had to change our ways to ever have financial peace of mind.

One of things Dave Ramsey says is that when you're in debt, look at your list of bills vs income, you should consider whether you have an income problem or a spending problem. Sometimes it's a little of both. In our case, it was definitely a spending problem. I am so used to spending much less now, it's just part of me without trying very hard.
I still have a snowball but it goes into savings. :cloud9:

Though I see why people might like Ramsey, I don't agree with everything he has to say.

For example, the suggestion that you should pay off the smallest debt first will actually cost more in the long run than paying off the one with the highest interest first. I agree that it might be more motivating to watch the smaller ones disappear, but it's something each person has to look at individually. Either way, still snowball it.

I got into financial trouble because of student debt and bad relationships. I always knew what "needed" to be done, but I just didn't make enough money to do anything about it. The most important thing is not to get discouraged, and to make sure to at least pay the minimums on everything so you don't get extra charges. From there, everything you do is a win, even if it doesn't feel that way.

Though I see why people might like Ramsey, I don't agree with everything he has to say.

For example, the suggestion that you should pay off the smallest debt first will actually cost more in the long run than paying off the one with the highest interest first. I agree that it might be more motivating to watch the smaller ones disappear, but it's something each person has to look at individually. Either way, still snowball it.
DR discusses this frequently. His point is that getting rid of the smaller ones first frees up more monthly payment funds to apply to the larger ones relatively quickly. Success early on is very motivating to stick to the plan. Also he admits that mathematically, it’s correct to say you would save on interest by starting with the highest interest but then again, if we were doing math all along, we wouldn’t be spending more than we earn, and there would be no debt. It’s more psychological than just the ability to master 4th grade math.
It all boils down to doing what works for each of us. I would not have had the debt pay down success that I had if I started with highest interest first and barely having enough to cover all the minimum monthly payments.
His way works but it’s definitely not the only way so anyone who is just starting out, try both and see what works for you. :thumbsup2

Goal time!!! I was expecting to need to list my emergency fund as #1. But I managed to transfer over enough from checking to savings to make the $1000 thanks to leftover car funds from the settlement and Christmas gifts.

2024 Financial Goals

1. Payoff 5/7 credit cards using the snowball method and closing 3 after they are paid off. I'm keeping the Discover and Ally credit card out of those 5. If I can get to the 6th and 7th cards, then great, but I'm trying to be realistic here.

2. Make an extra car payment of $200 going to the principal only each month.

3. Increase my monthly payments to my husband for household expenses by $800 a month beginning in May and open a joint checking account where we will each contribute monthly. We figured giving me until May to sock some extra cash into my checking would be a good idea since my personal loan is now paid off and that was sucking $1000 off the top of my paycheck once a month.

4. Set aside $285 per month from January-June to cover the cost of our hotel for our anniversary trip in July to Monterey.

5. Begin paying for our 2025 spring break cruise to Mexico in March. Payments will be $400 a month from March-December. Also set aside $50 per month during that time period to cover our upgrade package.

6. Continue using the YNAB app and website to track my money daily. I'm still tracking my money the old fashioned way with a register but I really like the budgeting aspect of YNAB and am getting more and more used to it.

2024 Personal Goals

1. Finish deep cleaning and organizing my kitchen. My husband is basically the Swedish Chef so he makes quite a mess when he cooks. I appreciate the fact that he does all of the cooking but it's a lot to keep on top of TBH. I need to do a better job and put in more effort. I will track this weekly.

2. Once I feel like my kitchen is back under control I'll transition to organizing my clothes that are in boxes in our bedroom. I will tackle this at least one of the days of my weekend.

3. Reorganize and deep clean my bathroom. I have too much on the countertop and need to make use of the cabinets in a more organized manner.

4. By July I'd like to be at the point I can begin to tackle my boxes that are still unpacked in the garage. I had a storage unit for years and now they're just sitting untouched since we moved into the house 3 years ago.

5. In August I'd like to make my stepson's room into a workout room. He's a senior in high school this year and he'll be starting college next fall. He's only staying over 1 or 2 nights a week at most at this point since he lives with his mom so I don't feel I'll be booting him out or anything. I am at my highest weight ever and I honestly don't even know what that is since I'm scared to get on the scale. I can have all of the DVDs and online workouts in the world but they do no good if you don't use them. I think having a space set aside will really help me out.

6. Get my passport at some point this year to be ready for the cruise in 2025.

That's all I can come up with for now :) I might edit if I can come up with more!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter