December 2020 Car Rentals

I made an error and booked a non-changable and non-refundable midsize through Thrifty (confused my windows....sigh). $450 for 12/6-12/15 from MCO. Not thrilled but not also couldn't see much better when I booked.

Of course, now when I look I could get $325.... It's done, so obviously I'm going to live with it.

Last edited:
Got the same vehicle for the same start date but leaving on the 16th. Picked up the same decrease on 10/29, and just now picked up another $25 decrease. $376 is still relatively high for 11 days, but significantly better than the over $700 it started out as back in August.

Steve

Thanks for the heads up about the 2nd rate drop. I shaved another $21 off the total today :teeth:.

I made an error and booked a non-changable and non-refundable midsize through Thrifty (confused my windows....sigh). $450 for 12/6-12/15 from MCO. Not thrilled but not also couldn't see much better when I booked.

Of course, now when I look I could get $325.... It's done, so obviously I'm going to live with it.

Well!!! I decided to call Priceline, to see what I could do to about this reservation. I'm not sure what I said or did, but the very disinterested person on the other end just said "I'll cancel and I can rebook you or you can rebook yourself" and then I got a refund email.

So I rebooked myself, 9 days, small SUV, Dollar rental=$250.

My standard SUV from Alamo via Costco, is down to $384 for a 10 day rental. I believe I started at $570, so that’s a big savings I didn’t think was going to happen last week. So now I have to decide if our stuff will fit in it (5 of us plus maybe a big stroller), or will we need the minivan I have for $609. It looks as if minivans are in demand during this period as they are no longer available from Alamo.

So I am thinking about getting a costco membership if I would save half the cost of the membership on an alamo car rental in two weeks. We don't have a costco within an hour drive so I probably wouldn't use it very often but it might be good for online orders and the occasional trip to the nearest city with a costco. Would anyone with a costco membership be willing to run the numbers and see how much I would save with a costco membership? I'm looking at Nov 27th-29th. Pickup at MCO and drop off at Disney car center. The rate I'm getting is $188 (adding no additional things to the rental)

So I am thinking about getting a costco membership if I would save half the cost of the membership on an alamo car rental in two weeks. We don't have a costco within an hour drive so I probably wouldn't use it very often but it might be good for online orders and the occasional trip to the nearest city with a costco. Would anyone with a costco membership be willing to run the numbers and see how much I would save with a costco membership? I'm looking at Nov 27th-29th. Pickup at MCO and drop off at Disney car center. The rate I'm getting is $188 (adding no additional things to the rental)
You didn’t give times or what kind of car you want. Here are the options that show up picking up at noon dropping off at noon. 800E71F2-8694-45DF-B6AF-FDBA30246371.png

I‘m seeing $122 for a standard size car from Alamo for those dates, noon to noon. The full size is $126, but from what I’ve read here, Alamo doesn’t have a standard size aisle, so you’ll get a full size car. I’d reserve sooner rather than later, as there is not a lot of availability for larger sized cars then.

$317 for a small SUV 12/9-12/16. AAA discount through carrentalsavers.com. Not loving this price, I'll keep looking.

I've been checking and I have it down to $237 for the week. This is at Dollar, reservation made through carrentalsavers.com with the AAA discount. I'll still keep looking but I am MUCH happier with this price than with $317!!

I've been checking and I have it down to $237 for the week. This is at Dollar, reservation made through carrentalsavers.com with the AAA discount. I'll still keep looking but I am MUCH happier with this price than with $317!!

Does anyone know if Dollar allows you to pick your own vehicle now?

We have not rented from Dollar in years, and have limited experience with them even at that. Once we got to select our own car, once it was assigned to us. I'm curious what their current policies are.

I‘m seeing $122 for a standard size car from Alamo for those dates, noon to noon. The full size is $126, but from what I’ve read here, Alamo doesn’t have a standard size aisle, so you’ll get a full size car. I’d reserve sooner rather than later, as there is not a lot of availability for larger sized cars then.
I really appreciate your help. I bought the Costco membership but when I did the rental with that info it only saved me $3 (from $188 to $185). So I may have spent $57 more than I needed to for this rental but I do have a Costco membership so there’s that. I’m going to keep trying to see if I can catch a lower price.

I really appreciate your help. I bought the Costco membership but when I did the rental with that info it only saved me $3 (from $188 to $185). So I may have spent $57 more than I needed to for this rental but I do have a Costco membership so there’s that. I’m going to keep trying to see if I can catch a lower price.

Try varying your pickup/drop off times a little. Sometimes a half hour change can make a large savings in price.

I just reserved a minivan via Costco/Alamo for $477 (10 day rental). Our prior reservation was for $560. Now we have to decide between the minivan or standard SUV we have for $384.

I just reserved a minivan via Costco/Alamo for $477 (10 day rental). Our prior reservation was for $560. Now we have to decide between the minivan or standard SUV we have for $384.

If it'll give you enough passenger space, I'd go with the SUV. There's almost $100 difference. I'm the MeanMom, one time I made the kids hold their suitcases on their laps for the drive from MCO-WDW because I saved $100 on the rental rate. Were they happy? No, but they survived, and now they have a "remember the time..." story to tell (and they tell it, every time we travel together, even though it was 12 years ago...)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter