December Trip for Seniors

stink

DIS Veteran
I am taking my parents (both in their 70s & good health), to see the Holiday Happenings. Anything not to miss or especially interesting for seniors. They been to Disney 2x in the last five years. Thanks

<b>Welcome to the Adult/Solo Board, stink</b>. Have they been there during the Christmas season? I would recommend a tour of the resorts to see the decorations. The Candlelight Processional at Epcot is a beautiful production. I'm sure you'll get some other great suggestions here.

No they have never been during the Christmas season. One trip was in May and the other in late Jan. I have booked the Silver Disney Travel Package and plan to book a Dinner Package at the Candlelight Prosessional. What do you think of the tours e.g. Yultide Fantasy or Steam Trains ?

Stink welcome to the DIS. I have not done either of those tours so I can not help there. I know the Trains tour is early in the morning. Candlelight Processional is a do not miss. When in Dec are you going. If you are going in early Dec and if they can take a rest in the afternoon and maybe go to around 11PM or a little later I would consider Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party. If you do this I would go easy and do some shows besides seeing Mainstreet all lit up and snowing there. This is an extra ticket so be aware. They have the Christmas daytime parade twice and do the holiday fireworks besides the holiday shows that are not running during the day in early Dec. I would recomend also to go around and check out the decorations at different hotels. They have story telling in EPCOT, besides all the countries all decorated up. Unfourtnately no Osborne Lights this year.:( :confused: . The DIS as well as www.wdwig.com have alot of great info as to what is going on during the holidays. Feel free to ask anything you want.

We are going December 9-12 and are staying at the GF. What do you recommend for a queit relaxed type restaurants, I am thinking they would enjoy the Teppan cheifs and Artist Point. We have been to all the restaurants at the BC & YC and the Calif. Grill. Also we plan to eat at the GF restaurants. What is your take on the Fantasmic Dinner Package and the MGM restaurants ? I am very disappointed that the Osbourne lights will not be put on this year as it is probably be my last trip to Disney with my parents. :( But I am really excited about the Candlelight Processional, VMCP and seeing all the resorts in their Christmas splendor.

I think the biggest piece of advice is pacing yourself. I am very gulity of not doing so. We are empty nesters adn enjoy doing caracter meals. We have fun interacting and watching the little ones with the caracters. I have had more quiet meals at Crystal Palace than and some resteraunts considered quiet. I think going with the flow would be more rewarding. I hope evryone has a great and magical time.

My mother is in her early 70’s and has gone with me to WDW 3 time’s sense 1996. She enjoyed this last trip the best. We didn’t care how many rides or shows that we saw. It was a stop and smell the roses trip. (or watch the people one of her favorite pass times) Some of the first time things that we did: Get autographs from the characters. But we played a lot with them. My mother had a blast asking them things like ---“Gepetto are you really Drew Cary in there?” But I have to say that her two favorite things this time was a backstage tour at EPCOT's world showcase and an Illuminations Cruise on the Breathless. We ALWAYS have to have lunch at the Brown Derby. That is her only repeat meal request. We did the Fantasmic Dinner only once and that was in 1996. We ate at the Brown Derby of course. As it was so long ago I don’t know if my comments would be valid anymore. There were not a lot of people eating there for dinner when we went. Hope this helps some.

I was considering the Brown Derby or Moma Melrose based on your Mom's enjoyment and the desciption on these boards we'll give the Brown Derby a try. We've never eaten there. We have had a great character breakfast experience at the Cape May Cafe. In late January several years ago we stopped in for an early breakfast before going to EPCOT. At the time we didn't realize it was a character breakfast. There was nobody there. The characters spent a few minutes at our table then they went onto the few families & children then they came back and sat right down at our table and interacted with my Mom & Dad. Minnie was flirting with my old man and Goofy was teasing my Mom. My Dad was asking Minnie if he could take her on a date and would Mickey get jealous. It was hilarious. The buffet was outstanding. The chief was making strawberry crepes. I must eaten half a dozen of 'em. This year based on the days we will be there we can only do one tour at EPCOT so we have to choose between the Gardens of the World, which I know my Mom and I will love or the Hidden Treasures of the World. Which my Dad would enjoy more. Have been on any of those tours ?

Sounds like your P’s and you liked playing with the Characters like we did. I understand that everyone has his or her own opinion on each restaurant but…..We were not impressed with Ma Melrose’s. We found it uninspired. But with that said I think that the food has improved vastly in the last 10 years and the last time we ate there was in the mid-1990’s. We went on the Treasures of the World tour. That was my highlight of last years trip. Mother voted it the second best thing that we did. I have not been on the other tour. But if it helps any, mother’s favorite ride is The Land. Treasures give you a broad spectrum of information…buildings, countries, gardens, Disney trivia and so much more. I don’t know how your P’s travel but it wilted mom. This is a woman who bikes and walks four days a week. Most of the time you are outside and we are not use to the mugginess. I would recommend for anyone to bring a bottle of water each. About 2/3’s of the way through we started to lose people to the drink kiosks for a bit. Any other questions just ask.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter