• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Denied DAS Other options

I went last December with a friend who has difficulty standing in line (both the standing and the heat) and we found that when she needed a wheelchair, there was one for her at each line. Since they deny the DAS pass for mobility issues, all rides keep spares to be used when waiting in lines (sh*ty ones, though, not as nice as the ones at the front, lots of broken wheels). It was good enough to push her through lines we were able to stand in, so if he needs, maybe ask a cm to bring you one?

My DH is going to use a scooter for the first time but was scared of some rides have tight turns. I wrote to disney and they told me about each ride having a wheelchair to use. We were planning on switching from the scooter to wheelchair for the rides. I've pushed him in a wheelchair before so that would have been no big deal for me.

Last night I waited three hours for a response from DAS. The agent asked me to move to a different device as the phone was not showing a clear picture. I told him it would take me a few mionutes to get upstairs and wake up the computer. By the time I did that, it was 9:53 and he had cut me off. I tried this morning at 7:01, and spoke to someone around 7:50. Basically, since my problem is a mobility one, they can't help. I asked her who DAS was for, if not someone who cannot stand for long periods of time, and she answered that it is for those with cognitive disabilities. She suggested a scooter or wheelchair. She didn't mention that there were wheelchairs at each attraction - I didn't realize that until I read this thread. Maybe I'll bring my dad's old rollator.

I certainly hope that Disney will accommodate conditions other than just cognitive disabilities. I have neurological disabilities and have qualified for DAS in the past because of my needs, but I am fine cognitively. Do you think that possibly, the CM does not know the meaning of the words "cognitive disabilities" and perhaps they are lumping other neurological conditions in with this? Goodness, I hope so, I don't want to be gaslighted for my disability. Mine is not mobility and will not be eliminated with the use of a mobility device, it's not that simple but I wish it were. Our trip is not until March, I have already booked the room and tickets. If they deny me access to the rides, I wonder if they will allow me to cancel the trip?

I certainly hope that Disney will accommodate conditions other than just cognitive disabilities. I have neurological disabilities and have qualified for DAS in the past because of my needs, but I am fine cognitively. Do you think that possibly, the CM does not know the meaning of the words "cognitive disabilities" and perhaps they are lumping other neurological conditions in with this? Goodness, I hope so, I don't want to be gaslighted for my disability. Mine is not mobility and will not be eliminated with the use of a mobility device, it's not that simple but I wish it were. Our trip is not until March, I have already booked the room and tickets. If they deny me access to the rides, I wonder if they will allow me to cancel the trip?
My daughter's is hearing related, and we had no problem getting it for this trip. He may have mispoken while trying to get across the idea that it isn't for mobility issues.

Most people probably think of autism when they hear ‘Cognitive disabilities‘ and people with autism are probably one of the largest specific groups requesting DAS. But ‘cognitive disabilities’ is actually a pretty broad category. I do think when CMs are put on the spot by someone asking things like “if it’s not for people who can’t stand in long lines, who is it for?” probably ‘cognitive disabilities’ is the first thing that comes to mind, since it is a very common reason. Reports I’ve seen of people saying they were told that by a CM almost always came after a similar question.

For yourself, be ready to explain (briefly) the issues you have that prevent you from waiting in the regular lines. If a mobility device might help, be prepared to discuss your additional needs that are not met by using a mobility device in line.
My youngest daughter has cerebral palsy which prevents her from being able to walk. She uses a wheelchair to meet those needs, BUT she has other issues with waiting in line that are not met by using her wheelchair. Those are what we discuss with the CM for DAS.

If your mom is using a scooter, then how does COPD make it difficult for her to wait in line?
COPD makes it difficult to breathe. Being in an ecv won't alleviate that. I suspect she may carry an oxygen tank which they probably can't bring into the ride.

Just got off the video chat after a 5 hour wait. I was also denied as I have back problems. She said they are only giving Das to children with cognitive problems. It would have been great if they mentioned this before I spent 5 hours on hold. She did state I can get a wheelchair for free which I will never ever use as I consider that the beginning of the end or I can see a cast member at the front of the line and sign up for that one ride on an individual basis. That I can do but I have a bad feeling they will be confused and not do it which means I will spent the entire day sitting on a bench twiddling my thumbs- as usual.

Just got off the video chat after a 5 hour wait. I was also denied as I have back problems. She said they are only giving Das to children with cognitive problems. It would have been great if they mentioned this before I spent 5 hours on hold. She did state I can get a wheelchair for free which I will never ever use as I consider that the beginning of the end or I can see a cast member at the front of the line and sign up for that one ride on an individual basis. That I can do but I have a bad feeling they will be confused and not do it which means I will spent the entire day sitting on a bench twiddling my thumbs- as usual.
It’s not true that they are only giving DAS to children with cognitive problems. As for the rest, I think she did not explain the bolded part well - it doesn’t work this way.

Attractions where guests must transfer from an ECV to a wheelchair do have attraction wheelchairs guests can use for free during their wait in line. There are no ‘free wheelchairs’ available to use in the park other than that. There are park rental wheelchairs available at each park.

If an attraction queue/entrance is not wheelchair accessible thru the regular entrance, guests using wheelchairs can sign up for a time to return to that attraction and use the alternate entry. There is no ‘see the CM at the front of the line and sign up for that one ride’ except in those situations.

I’m sorry you see using a wheelchair as the beginning of the end. It’s just a tool to assist with an issue, the same way that glasses assist with vision and hearing aids assist with hearing. My FIL avoided using an ECV for many years because he didn’t want to appear disabled. He missed out on a lot, left the park early and still ended up back at the resort on pain pills with ice on his knees. The day he finally used an ECV, he was able to go farther into the park and go on rides he hadn’t been on in years. He even stayed for Illuminations at EPCOT and said it was the first time in years that he didn’t end the day in pain. He said he wished he had done in years earlier

why would a scooter/wheelchair be the beginning of the end? I have had to use both in the park with not being able to stand in line. it sure beats sitting on a bench if you can find one and twiddling my thumbs. had a place to sit while waiting in line and it was waiting for me when I got off rides. find a mamabunny post about having to use one for the first time

It’s not true that they are only giving DAS to children with cognitive problems. As for the rest, I think she did not explain the bolded part well - it doesn’t work this way.

Attractions where guests must transfer from an ECV to a wheelchair do have attraction wheelchairs guests can use for free during their wait in line. There are no ‘free wheelchairs’ available to use in the park other than that. There are park rental wheelchairs available at each park.

If an attraction queue/entrance is not wheelchair accessible thru the regular entrance, guests using wheelchairs can sign up for a time to return to that attraction and use the alternate entry. There is no ‘see the CM at the front of the line and sign up for that one ride’ except in those situations.

I’m sorry you see using a wheelchair as the beginning of the end. It’s just a tool to assist with an issue, the same way that glasses assist with vision and hearing aids assist with hearing. My FIL avoided using an ECV for many years because he didn’t want to appear disabled. He missed out on a lot, left the park early and still ended up back at the resort on pain pills with ice on his knees. The day he finally used an ECV, he was able to go farther into the park and go on rides he hadn’t been on in years. He even stayed for Illuminations at EPCOT and said it was the first time in years that he didn’t end the day in pain. He said he wished he had done in years earlier

I just read another report yesterday of a woman being denied DAS (this was a few weeks ago so not the same person here) and was ALSO TOLD there are "free wheelchairs everywhere" and was shocked and it "ruined her trip" when this wasn't true.

So this seems to be a new CM misinformation that's circling...

why would a scooter/wheelchair be the beginning of the end? I have had to use both in the park with not being able to stand in line. it sure beats sitting on a bench if you can find one and twiddling my thumbs. had a place to sit while waiting in line and it was waiting for me when I got off rides. find a mamabunny post about having to use one for the first time
I took care of my mom after my dad died. She went from a cane to a walker and then decided a scooter was super easy. After a few days she could no longer walk and I had to get her therapy so should could move around again. It is personal for me as I saw how much damage it does. I can still walk although it sets off my sciatica. I just cannot stand more than a few minutes without my back going.

I took care of my mom after my dad died. She went from a cane to a walker and then decided a scooter was super easy. After a few days she could no longer walk and I had to get her therapy so should could move around again. It is personal for me as I saw how much damage it does. I can still walk although it sets off my sciatica. I just cannot stand more than a few minutes without my back going.
would a roller that you push then sit when the line stops moving help at all. then you would still bw walking but just have a sit when needed. or if you have a few people that can make a bubble around you so you can past back and forth

At WDW, a guest walks so much more than on a regular day though, so while using an ECV at home may mean a loss of mobility, using one at WDW means you can get from the parking lot, through the gates, and into the park without using up all the energy you have for the day.

I found there was a lot more standing around than I expected when we used DAS on our last trip. Luckily, one of us had a knee scooter that worked well as a seat when needed, and was easy to get in and out of places like bathrooms, buses, and the Skyliner. I found that DAS did not alleviate much of the standing at all - one has to bring something to sit on, or pace around.

Using a mobility aid at WDW and using one in your everyday life at home are really two different things. Most people don’t walk ten miles a day and then stand in long lines at home. Like, if I visited a country whose language I wasn’t familiar with, I might need a tool such as a phrase book or a translation app on my phone. That doesn’t mean it’s the beginning of me needing to use them every day at home where my native language is spoken.

I just had this conversation with my mother today, who has congestive heart failure and can't walk long distances anymore. I told her we were happy to push her in a manual w/c but she was having none of it. She wanted to rent a scooter. As an OT, I can absolutely respect that she wants to maintain as much independence as she can. While she can walk around her house and the local stores at home, it is vastly different than the walking of miles daily at the parks (also combined with the heat).

I used DAS for the first time this past April for both my neurological disorder and endocrine issues. I plan on requesting it again as it made a world of difference from previous trips.

My dad has been on the DAS pass in the past. His old one expired so we went to guest services today to get a new one. They told us he no longer qualifies with the new rules. He is a larger man with bad back problems and can’t stand still for long. Waiting in long lines is hard on his back and causes it to lock up. We were told today that he would need to rent a wheelchair. My Dad doesn’t want to mess around with that since he would only need it for lines and have to push it around the park all day. So we tried talking to them seeing if a cane with a seat would be allowed. They said yes but didn’t know where we might be able to find one. He is a heavier person and two of the places I was able to find I online that has them only went up to 225lbs. Does anyone know where we might be able to buy one in Orlando? Amazon has some but they can’t be delivered until after we leave.

There is one I found at the link thelashop that goes up to 285lbs. They also have a map of the US which tells you how long it would take to receive the item.
i hope you are able to find a solution.

Whether he qualifies for a DAS or not I’d rent an ecv, you drive it until he’s willing to try it, after the 1st time I used ecv I almost cried because it was 1st time I didn’t have extreme pain at end of day. I also used rollator before I went to ecv and that was so much better than no seat.

Also I’d tell Dad they’ve gotten rid of many benches and parking is often farther and farther, the amount of walking you do
In one day is way more than when I was a kid and less places to sit. I use ecv only for amusement parks and museums etc I can walk everywhere else in normal life.

I can attest that you can use a cane with a seat on it while waiting in lines/watching fireworks/taking a break, with no CM interference. I sprained my ankle the week before we went to DW in December. It still hadn't healed and I was worried I was going to be a major detractor on the trip since normally I'm the fast walker, ahead of the crowd type of person. I bought a cane with a seat on Amazon before we left, used it most of the time while walking, and sat on it during lines that stopped or moved very slowly when I needed the extra break for my ankle. I sat on it for snacks/watching the Christmas parade/watching fireworks/Harmonius. I was never once stopped, didn't experience any problems (granted i'm in my 30s and well under 200 pounds so stability issues weren't a huge concern for me). My parents in their 60s even took turns sitting on it a few times when they just needed a break and there wasn't enough space for all of us to park our butts. People in line and the restrooms etc were commenting on how great of an idea it was and wanted to know where I got it.
I did however rent a wheelchair at EPCOT because the sheer distance walked was too much for me and I made my poor husband push me around for the rest of the day. The lack of parking lot trams at Magic Kingdom was also killer and it wasn't until I was leaving that I realized that there were courtesy wheelchairs for the parking lot.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter