Descrmination towards invisible disabilities by Cast Members or other Guests?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never used a GAC and I am up to my fifth wheelchair trip. One was for a broken foot (pretty obvious) but the others were stamina issues. One was 10 days after a total abdominal hysterectomy. The others, including the one in two weeks, are stamina related. I have stage four cancer and am doing heavy duty chemo. And I will be doing it off and on as long as I live since a cure can't happen unless a medical breakthrough is achieved.

I will never understand those who complain about "hidden" stamina disabilities. Disney's answer is to get a wheelchair or scooter and leave the GAC for those with other needs. The alternate entrances are almost non-existent now and usually you wait longer. And if you are in the handicapped line (using the Nemo at the AK example) you are taking a spot in what are a very limited number of wheelchair accessible seats. I can't blame the CM's for being skeptical of the need.

I get out of the chair and walk through the regular entrance at Spaceship Earth and the HM. And I am very glad that I can since you will usually wait longer at the accessible entrance. And don't even get me going on the Safari!

The chair is your "GAC" so to speak. Unless there are needs other than the stamina issue, I have never felt the need for a separate document. And where I can I use a non-handicapped seat - I know firsthand from the trips where walking wasn't an option how it is to be told that there are no seats left when those who are not wheelchair bound are still being seated.

I also don't think it is discrimination if Disney does not provide accommodations - they are not required to do so under any law. They provide the ADA accessible areas and there is no requirement to go beyond that. That they do is commendable. There are a number of kids I personally know who could not begin to enjoy Disney without the privileges that the GAC provides. IMHO those who use it for what it wasn't intended (stamina) are contributing to a potential cut back in availability.

Could I ask how you know both guests had the same stamp(s)? Just having a GAC - or even having the same condition - doesn't necessarily mean two people need the same accommodation.

This. I have been asked questions regarding the nature of my need and in one case offered an accommodation I didn't need. CMs are not necessarily being mean or unhelpful. In my case, my GAC stamp is one that gets used by lots of folks who can walk but not climb stairs. I was asked about the nature of my need in case I was one of them. I'm not, but the CM had no way of knowing that.

While an ECV or wheelchair is often the most practical solution for stamina issues, not everyone can drive an ECV, and not everyone has the stamina to get around in a wheelchair or has someone who is able to push the wheelchair all day. Some with stamina issues may not have the energy to walk from one attraction to another AND then stand in a long line. My understanding is that WDW does not issue a GAC for stamina issues, so I'm assuming most of these people have some other hidden disability as well.

This. I have been asked questions regarding the nature of my need and in one case offered an accommodation I didn't need. CMs are not necessarily being mean or unhelpful. In my case, my GAC stamp is one that gets used by lots of folks who can walk but not climb stairs. I was asked about the nature of my need in case I was one of them. I'm not, but the CM had no way of knowing that.

Asking questions to find the best way to provide access is helpful. The OP says she was told, "You look perfectly able to stand in the line." If a CM says something like that, it's not quite the same thing.

We had one CM at Guest Services that was rude (we still got exactly what we were asking for though) Other than that, we've had great customer service including some amazing pixie dust. As for other guests, I couldn't care less what they think and will just smile if they say anything. (They're already being rude so if it irritates them more... :woohoo:)

Asking questions to find the best way to provide access is helpful. The OP says she was told, "You look perfectly able to stand in the line." If a CM says something like that, it's not quite the same thing.

Mama who never said that cm was right in what he said to the op i also think asking questions that can lead to better service is good or maybe the cm is newer and would like to learn something and find a way to better help but they have to do it in the right way. Saying you don't look disabled or comments like that are of course bad and not helpfully some poster are posting their experience or saying things that have nothing to do with the op and the original problem. I also think when she said cms might not be bing hean or unhelpful ou she was talking in the general sense not towards anyone person post.

Without going into details, yes, the very first time I used the GAC I encountered a rude cast member. Similar situation possibly because I was young and female and looked healthy?

Saying you don't look disabled or comments like that are of course bad and not helpfully some poster are posting their experience or saying things that have nothing to do with the op and the original problem.

Which is exactly WHY I mentioned the rude and unhelpful remark the OP says was made to her by a CM. Because that is what this thread was about. The OP felt that was discrimination. Whether it was or was not, it is inappropriate for a CM to say such a thing. It is not a way of learning what needs the guest has and how to accommodate the guest.

Which is exactly WHY I mentioned the rude and unhelpful remark the OP says was made to her by a CM. Because that is what this thread was about. The OP felt that was discrimination. Whether it was or was not, it is inappropriate for a CM to say such a thing. It is not a way of learning what needs the guest has and how to accommodate the guest.

While rudeness is almost never acceptable, people need to remember that the GAC is a tool for CMs. WDW is actually accessible enough under ADA without the GAC. Not all attractions have to be made accessible to all people (that would be impossible), and there's some vague phrasing in the ADA that gives theme parks an 'out' for certain situations. I'll try to find it after work today if people want to read it.

here On disboards people post what they experience in a thread to try and help not just stick to the main topic of the thread that how sometimes threads get off topic And get into arguments. i was not saying the op was not discriminated against or what the cm said was right in what they said or tried to do. I never said you was wrong just said that that poster mama who might not have been talking about what the op said or what the cm said to the op.

To answer the OPs question, the answer is yes, we have definitely faced discrimination and rude CMs and guests. OTOH, I noticed this last trip with my DD that there seemed to be a lot more CMs who had "Autism radar" so to speak. They were so wonderful and patient with DD and I am truly grateful.

We too have faced what I believe to be discrimination, but it was only once and the manager of the area was super nice and took care of things right away. Out of the hundreds, if not thousands, of CMs we have dealt with, we have only had the one bad encounter in the park so I would say it is most certainly the exception and not the rule.

I have an "unseen" disAbility.. low vision.. and that is the pitts trying to explain over at the HM.. to them, even with it written and highlighted on my GAC! Over at the HM they seem to feel it is perfectly fine for me to walk in the pitch black with nothing to hold onto dark holding room. Then it is supposed to be fine for me to be herded like cattle while obnoxious (sp?) guests push and shove me after leaving the stretching room to file into the single lane prior to the "moving walkway". I get separated from my party and panic not being able to see well, but hey, that is perfectly fine for the CM's over in the HM. If you are not in a wheelchair, you cannot use the alternate entrance.. even though my GAC states I can :rolleyes1 for the very reason of the dim lighting in that attraction... Yes, some CM's do not seem to care.. while in other attractions they are super. :thumbsup2 One CM had the audacity to state if I cannot see well in the dark, why was I going on an attraction that was all in the dark.. I told her because I was NOT walking once on it and my eyes will focus where there is lighting.. if it were a walk through haunted house, I would not be able to do it. Now that comment of hers was totally uncalled for.. talk about nasty.. that was not her "role", that was just rude

I was wondering if anyone else had a similar experience.I have an invisible disability. I was diagnosed with a brain tumor at the age of 7 (i'm 20 now) and will have this major illness for my whole life. It effects my everyday life. I don't have stamina, and I cannot handle heat, standing too long, etc. I often get looks when handing my GAC to cast members. I've never been stopped before, but the looks/questions can get annoying and a bit embarrassing.

Anyone have similar experiences?
Also, sorry if this has been posted before. I'm sure it was at some point.

My daughter gets this, she is now 21. She has had total knee replacements on both knees already, major large pins and plates in both hips, and has various DX, including juvenile dermatomyositis, avascular necrosis, and more. She has issues with heat, the sun can cause a flare. Ironically, her stamina is much better now POST TKR, miracle surgery if you ask me. So you are not alone! She would look more or less "normal", except for all the scars and stretch marks on her skin.

Good luck to you, and just do the best you can, and act confident and you know what your situation is, and what you need to get thru a day in a theme park..... Like most people who need a GAC, you probably can't tour more than 1/2 day without taking a rest. That is how it is for my daughter, and my special needs son (who has an obvious disability). Even WITH the GAC, my son and I only do a handful of rides before we have to return to the room for a break.

A MickeyFan said:
I get separated from my party and panic not being able to see well, but hey, that is perfectly fine for the CM's over in the HM.
In fairness (and you already know this) the GAC isn't a magic ticket. Yes, you should be able to access attractions independently - but when you know the stamp on it isn't going to get you the assistance need and your traveling with other people, one or more of your travel companions should take extra steps to stay by your side, even if that means one of you holding the other's arm.

A GAC can only do so much.

There have been several poster arguing back and forth on this thread. You will know who you are because your last post was deleted.

If posters are planning to argue, please do it in private messages to each other.

The rest of us do not want to see it.

I will delete posts, assign points and close this thread if arguing continues.

If you are not in a wheelchair, you cannot use the alternate entrance.. even though my GAC states I can :rolleyes1 for the very reason of the dim lighting in that attraction...

Last time, the CM at the door kept insisting to me that the alternate entrance didn't even exist!

One CM had the audacity to state if I cannot see well in the dark, why was I going on an attraction that was all in the dark.. I told her because I was NOT walking once on it and my eyes will focus where there is lighting..

Same thing happened to me once. I told her, "I can see the show scenes because they're lit," and she just rolled her eyes. At the same visit, another CM turned on her heel and walked away from me while I was asking her if the load belt could be slowed, and started talking to to other people.

There have been several poster arguing back and forth on this thread. You will know who you are because your last post was deleted.

If posters are planning to argue, please do it in private messages to each other.

The rest of us do not want to see it.

I will delete posts, assign points and close this thread if arguing continues.

Sorry sue didn't want to argue and sorry to every one and the op for arguing.

How/Where does one get this GAC and what proof is needed ?

I have COPD which causes stamina problems. also something that causes my leg to sometimes go numb if I stand to long.

If no proof is needed, then I can just walk up and say I have whatever to get this card ?

If that is the case I can understand how some people are skeptical of
invisible ailments, I had no idea I might be illegible for this card and must admit, I would be one of the people saying why are they handicapped they look fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter