Descrmination towards invisible disabilities by Cast Members or other Guests?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How/Where does one get this GAC and what proof is needed ?

I have COPD which causes stamina problems. also something that causes my leg to sometimes go numb if I stand to long.

If no proof is needed, then I can just walk up and say I have whatever to get this card ?

If that is the case I can understand how some people are skeptical of
invisible ailments, I had no idea I might be illegible for this card and must admit, I would be one of the people saying why are they handicapped they look fine.

It sounds like a GAC wouldn't really help you. WDWs answer to mobility and stamina problems is rent a WC or ECV. There is no place that you could sit in lines and a GAC isn't a front of the line pass. It states on the card that it is not intended to shorten wait times.

You may also want to check into a walker with a seat. You could take this into lines and it would give you a place to sit.

It sounds like a GAC wouldn't really help you. WDWs answer to mobility and stamina problems is rent a WC or ECV. There is no place that you could sit in lines and a GAC isn't a front of the line pass. It states on the card that it is not intended to shorten wait times.

You may also want to check into a walker with a seat. You could take this into lines and it would give you a place to sit.

thanks for the reply

Curious, I seem to have the same as the OP, and I quote
"I don't have stamina, I cannot handle heat and standing to long.
So except for the heat issue what is different between us, how did they get a GAC.

I have a 6 month old daughter with Down's syndrome. Going to the parks is something that my family enjoys and we want to share that with her. I believe that I can get a GAC for her because we have to use a stroller as a wheelchair for her because she doesn't have great stability in her neck. I sure know that people would look at us as if we were doing something wrong but unfortunately they do not know our situation and they shouldn't judge others because they are using the GAC for a reason not just to get to the front of the line!

I have a 6 month old daughter with Down's syndrome. Going to the parks is something that my family enjoys and we want to share that with her. I believe that I can get a GAC for her because we have to use a stroller as a wheelchair for her because she doesn't have great stability in her neck. I sure know that people would look at us as if we were doing something wrong but unfortunately they do not know our situation and they shouldn't judge others because they are using the GAC for a reason not just to get to the front of the line!

I think she just needs it so that her daughter can stay in her stroller. Baby wearing a child who can not hold her neck is very difficult especially in the summer heat.

I understand that I can't get to the front of the line. I washing a point that people should not look at a person using a GAC as a person trying to get to the front.

thanks for the reply

Curious, I seem to have the same as the OP, and I quote
"I don't have stamina, I cannot handle heat and standing to long.
So except for the heat issue what is different between us, how did they get a GAC.

If you feel you need a GAC, you have every right to request one no matter what anyone on this forum says. You don't need to explain yourself here.

Seeing all the trips in your signature, I'm sure you already know how much walking is involved at Disney. If you're not already using one, a wheelchair or ECV certainly would help. :thumbsup2

If you feel you need a GAC, you have every right to request one no matter what anyone on this forum says. You don't need to explain yourself here.

Seeing all the trips in your signature, I'm sure you already know how much walking is involved at Disney. If you're not already using one, a wheelchair or ECV certainly would help. :thumbsup2

There may have been an additional need not specified on this forum. Or a CM may have had an idea to help we are not aware of here.

I have also seen a CM give a GAC to someone who had stamina or mobility concerns, just trying to help. Sometimes it turns out to be the wrong thing for them, and they should have rented a chair.

I saw something like this happen at Jungle Cruise in DL recently - there was quite a long line in the accessible entrance line (which is just a roped off area to the side of the exit) - (in full sun, though it was March or so, so not too hot) and someone had a GAC that allowed them to use the accessible entrance for whatever reason.

I did not speak to the party, but one man was loud enough that I heard him saying "She cannot stand this long! I have this thing! (waving the GAG around), She is not supposed to have to wait!" I did not see the stamp on the GAC, but the CM reassured the man that the party WAS allowed to be in the accessible line, he really did have to wait in it. He was very upset and made enough noise that the lead came out. Once again, the man was assured he had to wait in either the mainstream or the accessible line at the exit, but those were the only two ways to enter the attraction. When the man again waved around the GAC, a CM pointed out that everyone in the accessible line needed to be there too. Both CMs left him in his place in line at this point.

There was a woman in the party who appeared to be going through chemo (hat, lack of eyebrows, port in her arm under sterile cover).

She would have been MUCH better served by having a wheelchair than whatever GAC she had in that situation. She still would have been in the accessible line, but at least she would have been sitting!

I tell this story for a couple reasons. One is to say that the GAC, on this board and in general conversation, seems to have taken on magical properties, and many guides even make a person feel they MUST have one, no matter what their needs may be.

The second is to point out that while there are different stamps, many GACs result in people waiting in the same line. No GAC "outranks" another, nor does a GAC "outrank" a wheelchair, or vice versa. So if there is a line and a person gets a GAC to avoid a wheelchair, it does not matter if Mickey Mouse himself gave that person the GAC, they are STILL waiting in line. Consider this when deciding whether or not to rent a wheelchair. A GAC usually will not change what happens if a wheelchair meets your needs.

Does a person with a wheelchair or scooter need a GAC to use a wheelchair entrance or use it in the queues? This is something I've been wondering since the recent discussions have led me to believe they don't.

Specifically, the time I had rented an ECV, could I have taken it through the line in Soarin' without the use of a GAC? Hopefully I won't have need of an ECV again for a long time to come. But, if I do, it would be nice to have it in particularly long lines.

I know I could request a GAC, but likely never will. The main reason being that I live close by and do WDW often so it doesn't matter how much how many rides I go on. I enjoy many things other than the rides. I also enjoy most of the queues - the exceptions being Soarin' and Peter Pan, which I have heard it being redone. :thumbsup2

Does a person with a wheelchair or scooter need a GAC to use a wheelchair entrance or use it in the queues? This is something I've been wondering since the recent discussions have led me to believe they don't.

Specifically, the time I had rented an ECV, could I have taken it through the line in Soarin' without the use of a GAC? Hopefully I won't have need of an ECV again for a long time to come. But, if I do, it would be nice to have it in particularly long lines.

I know I could request a GAC, but likely never will. The main reason being that I live close by and do WDW often so it doesn't matter how much how many rides I go on. I enjoy many things other than the rides. I also enjoy most of the queues - the exceptions being Soarin' and Peter Pan, which I have heard it being redone. :thumbsup2

If the only need is to use the wheelchair or ECV, then a GAC is not necessary as the w/c or ECV is the "visible" sign of assistance - and yes you should be able to take it in lines without having a GAC. There are occasionally reports of CMs refusing access without a GAC, but I think those are few and far between, probably a new CM in training or something. GAC is not needed unless the guest has other "invisible" needs that are not accommodated by just using the w/c or ECV.

The only place that I have had an issue with Cast Members being difficult has been the Haunted Mansion, and I've had issues there on my past four vacations which have all happened since they made it ADA accessible. Ironic but true, the ADA queue was possibly the worst thing for me at HM. I'm not even sure that I will try to ride it in the future because the Cast Members just can't get it right for me. Last time (Oct 2012) I spoke with the lead trainer on duty and she admitted that they were having serious problems communicating available options to guests at HM. It was great to speak with her and she was so nice to me, and I was able to understand where their issues were, but in the end I'm sick of coming out of that attraction embarassed, in tears, or in so much pain I have to leave the park entirely.

When things like this happen you have got to take it to the lead, and if you don't get the treatment you think is acceptable from them, tell guest services. That's not to say that you'll get what you want, but you should be treated with respect, not suspicion. If people are downright rude to you, you have to let Guest Relations know.

On the flip side... when Cast Members are exceptional and go above and beyond for you, let Guest Relations know that too!

I'm sick of coming out of that attraction embarassed, in tears, or in so much pain I have to leave the park entirely.

Would you mind posting further details about the problems or procedures at HM? I have read others mention this also, but no specifics.

My wheelchair bound son will be coming down in November and we will be taking a family trip to WDW. I'm wondering if we should skip this ride all together? I would hate to have him do that given it's an awesome ride.

ETA: There are usually scooters and/or wheelchairs in the stretching room with me so I know they go that far in the normal queue.

We had a problem at the HM with my brother too. Part of it was my fault, I didn't tell the very first CM that we had a GAC and needed the walkway stopped. I told the person at the walkway and it was too late. She seemed crabby, but she was just staying in character. I think a lot of the HM CM's come across as uncaring when they are just trying to just stay in character.

However, it is very disorganized for special needs.

Would you mind posting further details about the problems or procedures at HM? I have read others mention this also, but no specifics.

My wheelchair bound son will be coming down in November and we will be taking a family trip to WDW. I'm wondering if we should skip this ride all together? I would hate to have him do that given it's an awesome ride.

ETA: There are usually scooters and/or wheelchairs in the stretching room with me so I know they go that far in the normal queue.

With the new que you can take your scooter wheelchair through the stretching room and as you exit their be a cm or and entrance that will bring you out to the exit and that where you load. The problem with hm know is that they got rid or the turn style they won't let you just go to the exit like before now you have to enter the building either go into the stretching room or use the exit before. So guest with low vision or can't see that we'll in the dark are having a hard time because none of the cms or manager understand that they need to use the exit and not go into the building for their safety. It like they said we made the line accessible and that all where going to do so if your ot in a wheelchair or scooter and don't have someone with you to help you in the dark your going to have a problem.

No, you don't need a GAC for that.

In a WC accessible main queue, you just use the queue.
In an inaccessible queue you use the WC queue.

A GAC is only necessary if you have an additional need that is not made obvious by your chair. For mobility purposes the chair essentially acts as a GAC- that is it alerts the CMs to your special needs.

In a WC accessible main queue, you just use the queue.
In an inaccessible queue you use the WC queue.

At most attractions, there will usually be a CM stationed outside - he or she will ask you if you're able to transfer out of the WC to board the ride, and then direct you which way to go.

With the new que you can take your scooter wheelchair through the stretching room and as you exit their be a cm or and entrance that will bring you out to the exit and that where you load.

As far as I understand, this is the "correct" procedure for HM now. Through the main queue and stretching room, and then taken to the back (where people get off of the ride) through a side hallway. Once in back the Cast Member can slow or stop the attraction to meet your loading needs. They are not able to do that in the main loading area.

For me personally, my back can not tolerate the trip over the cobblestones in an ECV or Wheelchair. I can do a fast trip over a small strip of them but the full queue of cobblestone ground puts me in unbearable pain. That means that since they have stopped allowing Guests with GAC to go in the exit, I have to be having a "walking day" to get through the front queue. While they were changing policy I made several Disney trips. The first time I went over the cobblestone, and had to leave the park (which was really a bummer because I was there for MNSSHP) Guest Services told me that next time to get an alternate entrance GAC. The next time I had my GAC and was ready to go through the back and the CMs stopped me. They actually yelled at me, there was a huge humiliating scene, imagine a very large male cast member standing over a woman in a manual wheelchair shaking his double pointed fingers in her face shouting. Yep... very magical. (I want to make it very clear though that the situation was handled by management and Disney made things right with me.) When I went this past trip we went early in the day so that I could handle standing through the main queue, I had a GAC and talked to the CMs. No one told me or directed me through the side hall so I was jostled through the main path and had to navigate and jump on the moving walkway. I was very lucky and didn't stumble and fall (as I have in the past) but I was fairly upset and freaked out. That's when I finally was able to talk with someone who explained how things are supposed to work.

In every instance of trouble I have had I think that a lack of communication has been the problem. Communication from management to Cast Members and Communication from Cast Members to Guests, and perhaps even communication between me and the Cast Members. I would like to think that now I know how it's supposed to work that I could finally go back and just enjoy the ride, but I would still have to leave my chair or ecv to walk the main queue.

As far as I understand, this is the "correct" procedure for HM now. Through the main queue and stretching room, and then taken to the back (where people get off of the ride) through a side hallway. Once in back the Cast Member can slow or stop the attraction to meet your loading needs. They are not able to do that in the main loading area.

For me personally, my back can not tolerate the trip over the cobblestones in an ECV or Wheelchair. I can do a fast trip over a small strip of them but the full queue of cobblestone ground puts me in unbearable pain. That means that since they have stopped allowing Guests with GAC to go in the exit, I have to be having a "walking day" to get through the front queue. While they were changing policy I made several Disney trips. The first time I went over the cobblestone, and had to leave the park (which was really a bummer because I was there for MNSSHP) Guest Services told me that next time to get an alternate entrance GAC. The next time I had my GAC and was ready to go through the back and the CMs stopped me. They actually yelled at me, there was a huge humiliating scene, imagine a very large male cast member standing over a woman in a manual wheelchair shaking his double pointed fingers in her face shouting. Yep... very magical. (I want to make it very clear though that the situation was handled by management and Disney made things right with me.) When I went this past trip we went early in the day so that I could handle standing through the main queue, I had a GAC and talked to the CMs. No one told me or directed me through the side hall so I was jostled through the main path and had to navigate and jump on the moving walkway. I was very lucky and didn't stumble and fall (as I have in the past) but I was fairly upset and freaked out. That's when I finally was able to talk with someone who explained how things are supposed to work.

In every instance of trouble I have had I think that a lack of communication has been the problem. Communication from management to Cast Members and Communication from Cast Members to Guests, and perhaps even communication between me and the Cast Members. I would like to think that now I know how it's supposed to work that I could finally go back and just enjoy the ride, but I would still have to leave my chair or ecv to walk the main queue.

Yes it is a lot f people complain to Disney but still they either have cms that don't listen or they have managers that don't share the complaints and give them more training as I said once they took away the turnstiles they figured problem solved. Ow guest in wheelchairs can go through the main que no more sending guest through the exit from the outside. But forgetting the guest that are it in wheelchairs who ant go through the building or guest like you who may have a hard time going over the cobble stones. Until Disney realizes and sees the problem and understand the problem I think hm will become a ride most people can't do and it sad that them making the main que wheelchair accessible has ruined it for many people. I don't remember reading as many complaint from people in wheelchair not being able to see the stretching room as I read now guest having a hard time going on the ride because they an now go through the stretching room. They would solve the problem if they would as guest service told you let you go through the exit from the out side but they won't anymore because of the new que. and it seems like guest services can't get the management team at hm to understand the problem and that they are not a real haunted mansion but an attraction in a Disney park that has to follow their rules and laws.

With the new que you can take your scooter wheelchair through the stretching room and as you exit their be a cm or and entrance that will bring you out to the exit and that where you load. The problem with hm know is that they got rid or the turn style they won't let you just go to the exit like before now you have to enter the building either go into the stretching room or use the exit before. So guest with low vision or can't see that we'll in the dark are having a hard time because none of the cms or manager understand that they need to use the exit and not go into the building for their safety. It like they said we made the line accessible and that all where going to do so if your ot in a wheelchair or scooter and don't have someone with you to help you in the dark your going to have a problem.

Thanks for explaining the procedure. I have a difficult time seeing where I'm going in there, I can't imagine doing it on wheels or with low vision.

Thank you for sharing your experience. I never even realized it was cobblestones there. We take so much for granted walking. I'm glad they made good on your very bad experience.

I am having a hard time understanding why they can't just let you start at the exit since it sounds like that's where you end up anyway? The only advantage would be to experience the stretching room, but if you have done if before, you should be able to opt out.

and it seems like guest services can't get the management team at hm to understand the problem and that they are not a real haunted mansion but an attraction in a Disney park that has to follow their rules and laws.

This is a very serious subject, but this line still made me :rotfl2:

I'll admit I'm confused as to why people can't just start at the exit. It's not like they're not going there anyway. It would not be so hard for the first CM to ask people on wheels if they would like to skip the stretching room or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter