DH has ALS (Lou Gehrig's disease)

I am so very sorry for your loss. I have been following your journey and I think you were an amazing caregiver to your husband and should be very proud of yourself. I lost my dear husband in July and I know what strength it takes to be the caregiver.

Again, I'm so sorry.

Marilyn

I am so sorry for your loss. I pray that God will grant you peace and comfort.

It broke my heart to see your post today. Please know you will continue to be in my thoughts and prayers. :hug:

I was sorry to read about your loss this morning. I pray that you will have peace and comfort while adjusting to life without him.

My heart is breaking for you :(

I am so sorry to hear about Jim's passing.

Please take care of yourself. I know with my step-mother who is taking care of my dad who has advance ALS, sometimes she forgets to take care of herself.
You made some wonderful memories with Jim and those will always live on in you.

Continue to let us know how you are doing. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

I just read the news. You and Jim were always in my thoughts. My prayers are with you tonight and in the nights to come. May God hold you in the palm of his hand. I firmly believe that Jim's journey is just continuing on on a different plane. God bless you. You have inspired many more than you know. You truly lived the vows in sickness and in health. May your memories sustain you and inspire you in the days to come.:hug:

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. You and Jim have been in my prayers for so long now. God bless you for being such a blessed care giver to jim. I will keep you in my prayers in your time of grief.

My deepest sympathies to you on your loss..please take care of yourself. Hugs...

Susan, I just read this whole thread and I am so sorry that you lost Jim in this way. It was heart-breaking to read, and I can only imagine how it was to go through.

My thoughts and prayers are with you.

I am so sorry for your loss. Please know that I am thinking about you during this difficult time. :hug:

I am so sorry for your loss. Though there are no words to ease your pain, remember you are being supported through the thoughts and prayers of many.
Hugs.

You are in my thoughts. I wish you peace and strength. You are an amazing woman. My heart goes out to you.

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

I am so sorry to read about his passing........Please take care of yourself these next few days and know in your heart you did all you could for him....because you did. Hugs..

Thank you all so much for your condolences. Hospice was wonderful, in the short time we were there, they did everything possible for Jim, his parents and me. His last couple of days were difficult to watch, he was in pain and very fretful. During my last hours with him, he woke off and on but for the most part slept peacefully.

Everyone deals with loss in a different manner; Jim's parents chose not to go and see him after we got the calls that he was gone. I went, and I will forever be grateful that I did - every stress line, pain line, every muscle distortion from the disease was gone from his face and body - he looked like my Jim again. I hope that he knew a moment of this release before he died. When I saw that, I felt half of my stress just drain away.

I will love him greatly and miss him terribly until the day I die, and afterwards. I am very, very sad but grateful that his suffering is over. I am also unbelievably physically tired now that the need for my care is gone. I was told that this is normal and that I need to pay attention to my body while it recovers. I'd have been able to keep going as long as needed but the longer the work, the longer my recovery would be. Whatever, I am just grateful that I had the strength and training to see this journey to the end. And all through it, every Saturday after we married, Jim wished me happy anniversary, and he thanked me several times a day for my care. I cannot believe how unbelievably lucky I was to have him.

We're going to take a couples of week's to pull our lives back together before we do a memorial service for him. This is his daughter's first major loss; she's still trying to process it, living several states away and feeling bad that she didn't get down to see him more often. She was planning to come in another two weeks; we thought we'd have him for another month or two but it wasn't to be.
I want this to be what she wants it to be because I had my closure by seeing his face, and I've started healing. I want to make sure that she gets the closure she needs, and my daughter, too. Jim was a father figure to her.

Thank you all for your encouragement and compliments, too.:hug: it's easier for me to write my fears and misery than to speak (where crying often gets in the way) so I got more relief from this board than anywhere else.

In a couple of months, I think I may sign on with Hospice as a volunteer - I'm confident in my caregiving skills and after this experience, I certainly have some idea of what could be helpful for families.

I'm grateful to you all, and for this board, and for life in general!

Love,
Susan

Thank you all so much for your condolences. Hospice was wonderful, in the short time we were there, they did everything possible for Jim, his parents and me. His last couple of days were difficult to watch, he was in pain and very fretful. During my last hours with him, he woke off and on but for the most part slept peacefully.

Everyone deals with loss in a different manner; Jim's parents chose not to go and see him after we got the calls that he was gone. I went, and I will forever be grateful that I did - every stress line, pain line, every muscle distortion from the disease was gone from his face and body - he looked like my Jim again. I hope that he knew a moment of this release before he died. When I saw that, I felt half of my stress just drain away.

I will love him greatly and miss him terribly until the day I die, and afterwards. I am very, very sad but grateful that his suffering is over. I am also unbelievably physically tired now that the need for my care is gone. I was told that this is normal and that I need to pay attention to my body while it recovers. I'd have been able to keep going as long as needed but the longer the work, the longer my recovery would be. Whatever, I am just grateful that I had the strength and training to see this journey to the end. And all through it, every Saturday after we married, Jim wished me happy anniversary, and he thanked me several times a day for my care. I cannot believe how unbelievably lucky I was to have him.

We're going to take a couples of week's to pull our lives back together before we do a memorial service for him. This is his daughter's first major loss; she's still trying to process it, living several states away and feeling bad that she didn't get down to see him more often. She was planning to come in another two weeks; we thought we'd have him for another month or two but it wasn't to be.
I want this to be what she wants it to be because I had my closure by seeing his face, and I've started healing. I want to make sure that she gets the closure she needs, and my daughter, too. Jim was a father figure to her.

Thank you all for your encouragement and compliments, too.:hug: it's easier for me to write my fears and misery than to speak (where crying often gets in the way). In a couple of months, I think I may sign on with Hospice as a volunteer - I'm confident in my caregiving skills and after this experience, I certainly have some idea of what could be helpful for families.

Love,
Susan

Susan, your post made me cry. I just wish I could reach through the computer screen and give you a hug. You are so strong. Please know that I'll continue to keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers. :hug:

. I went, and I will forever be grateful that I did - every stress line, pain line, every muscle distortion from the disease was gone from his face and body - he looked like my Jim again. I hope that he knew a moment of this release before he died. When I saw that, I felt half of my stress just drain away.

Thank you for your update on you. I hope you are taking care of yourself.

This post above really hit home for me. My father is going through ALS and I strongly feel this will be his last year living with this awful disease.
Sometimes when I see my father he is just a "shell" of what he used to be. ALS has crippled him completely.

Although I don't want my dad to go, I also know one day he will be at peace and be completely pain free from ALS --- just like your Jim is now.

Still thinking of you.
Take Care

Thank you all for your encouragement and compliments, too.:hug: it's easier for me to write my fears and misery than to speak (where crying often gets in the way) so I got more relief from this board than anywhere else.

In a couple of months, I think I may sign on with Hospice as a volunteer - I'm confident in my caregiving skills and after this experience, I certainly have some idea of what could be helpful for families.

Love,
Susan

That was beautifully said. I am sitting here with tears in my eyes and in awe at how you handled things. :hug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter