Did you come from money?

Now I know we were working poor. But my parents never argued about money or talked about it in front of us. And when you live in a 900 sq ft house, that's tough to do.

I never missed a meal. I always had clothes. I had everything I needed. And while I didn't have everything I wanted, I would say I came from enough money.
The DIS is a funny place to talk about money on. It is a place were some honestly believe an individual making $150,000 a year is middle class. I think my family is solidly middle class, and my wife and I both working full time never made anywhere near $150,000 combined in a year let alone individually.

I never missed a meal. I always had clothes. I had everything I needed. And while I didn't have everything I wanted, I would say I came from enough money.
The DIS is a funny place to talk about money on. It is a place were some honestly believe an individual making $150,000 a year is middle class. I think my family is solidly middle class, and my wife and I both working full time never made anywhere near $150,000 combined in a year let alone individually.

The middle class is a large spread. Our take home pay is right around $150,000 and we can't afford to buy a home. We are solidly middle class where we live. I drive a 15 year old car and buy most of my clothes at Costco.

The middle class is a large spread. Our take home pay is right around $150,000 and we can't afford to buy a home. We are solidly middle class where we live. I drive a 15 year old car and buy most of my clothes at Costco.
And it isn't how much money your have, but how you choose to spend it. My daughter's income is within the "poverty" level for our county, but she could afford to buy a house.

And it isn't how much money your have, but how you choose to spend it. My daughter's income is within the "poverty" level for our county, but she could afford to buy a house.

She could afford to buy a house where she lives and because she lived with you for free for several years and saved up her money. You can't forget those qualifiers.

But also, there are programs that help low income people buy homes. The people who make too much to qualify for those programs but not enough to qualify for a mortgage are the ones who are in the worst shape right now, i.e. the middle class.

We could choose to not spend ANY of our discretionary income and still not even be close to being able to buy a home in our area. It's even more unattainable with 6% interest rates on mortgages. So please stop with the "it's about how you choose to spend your money" nonsense. No, it's not. It's about the astronomical price of suitable homes. Full stop.

She could afford to buy a house where she lives and because she lived with you for free for several years and saved up her money. You can't forget those qualifiers.

But also, there are programs that help low income people buy homes. The people who make too much to qualify for those programs but not enough to qualify for a mortgage are the ones who are in the worst shape right now, i.e. the middle class.

We could choose to not spend ANY of our discretionary income and still not even be close to being able to buy a home in our area. It's even more unattainable with 6% interest rates on mortgages. So please stop with the "it's about how you choose to spend your money" nonsense. No, it's not. It's about the astronomical price of suitable homes. Full stop.
Remember, she lives in a high cost area. And yes, like I said, it absolutely depends on how you choose to spend her money. She chose to live at home an additional year, and option many of her friends had, and they chose not to do that.

Remember, she lives in a high cost area. And yes, like I said, it absolutely depends on how you choose to spend her money. She chose to live at home an additional year, and option many of her friends had, and they chose not to do that.

Relatively speaking, she bought quite a cheap home. If we could get a home for under $500k we would have been homeowners a long time ago. Houses here haven't been that cheap since 2004. Back then, we didn't have the income to qualify for a mortgage that high.

That's a really weird statement.
There’s something called Stealth Wealth. The Millioanire next door.

No one with money is going to respond to this question bragging about how much money they have. So the only replies are going to be from middle class or lower.

Also, re: VIP tours. Get ready. ALOT of your neighbors, co-workers, etc are about to be instant millionaires when the Baby Boomers pass away and give away their inheritance

$68,000,000,000,000 (that’s TRILLION) in the largest wealth transfer in history. And that’s a lot of disposable income to spend on cars, vacation homes, and….. DVC…… and VIP Tours

2EB31641-CA19-4939-9738-003285FAA478.jpeg

There’s something called Stealth Wealth. The Millioanire next door.

No one with money is going to respond to this question bragging about how much money they have. So the only replies are going to be from middle class or lower.

Also, re: VIP tours. Get ready. ALOT of your neighbors, co-workers, etc are about to be instant millionaires when the Baby Boomers pass away and give away their inheritance

$68,000,000,000,000 (that’s TRILLION) in the largest wealth transfer in history. And that’s a lot of disposable income to spend on cars, vacation homes, and….. DVC…… and VIP Tours

View attachment 723534
Well hopefully. Medical expenses and stock market crashes can wipe a lot of people out during retirement. A lot of people make poor decisions managing their money too.

Last edited:
We were not wealthy, but had everything we needed with some of what we wanted.

I would say this was us, too. We went on a two week vacation to our favourite campsite every summer, and we always had enough to eat, and had clothes on our back. We didn’t get everything we wanted throughout the year, but we always had a wonderful Christmas. I’d say we were solidly upper middle class.

Money is such a relative concept. My grandparents on both sides grew up during the Depression. They would say they achieved the American Dream because they managed to own nice (but small) houses and feed their kids well and put clothes on their backs. But according to family lore, when WDW first opened, my grandma on my mom's side saw a commercial that said you could take your entire family for the day for $20 and immediately said well, we'll never be able to afford that--and they lived 40 minutes away. They did end up going a couple of times (day trips) in their retirement. And my dad was able to take his mom in her golden years, and she literally cried when she met Mickey.

My parents were first in their families to go to college, and with an assist from a $50k settlement after a car accident, were able to buy a nice home. Bigger than their parents' homes, with a pool, but still tiny compared to the McMansions. But their incomes rose steadily. We always took nice vacations, had nice cars, splurged on Christmas presents, and had Disney passes. Compared to the rest of the family, I thought we "had money."

Then I went to prep school. Where everyone came from family WEALTH. Where month-long African safaris were normal vacations, and one girl's mom was mad that the airlines wouldn't let her prepay, in cash, for four years worth of plane tickets to fly her home from her Ivy League university. Where my parents never bothered to attend the annual fundraising auction because even the small stuff went for thousands. Where a classmate turned 16 and got a brand new Porsche. And wrecked it three days later and got an even nicer brand new Porsche.

So what is "money" anyway? I always had a ton of love, and I'll take that over some arbitrary concept of having money any day.

Last edited:
I’m not sure the number that would define coming from money but it doesn’t matter, I came from a blue collar family and I know we wouldn’t begin to reach whatever number defines money. Dad was a machinist at a steel factory and mom was a stay at home mom.
But my dad was very good with money so we also owned a couple small airplanes at one time which dad flew on his time off. But there was a trade off, dad never spent a dime without really thinking about it. We lived in small home in a subdivision where everyone was on top of each other. My parents went on vacations a couple times in my childhood but we never went as a family until after my dad passed when I was still young. We had treats and fun times and it was a good childhood but definitely not coming from money.

Most of the people who have mentioned ridiculous housing prices here when they give their location, it's pretty easy to see they are only looking in their preferred social status area of about 3 miles. I've looked and it's always an excuse why they can only look at the $800k houses in such a small area than the $200k houses a 20 minute walk away.

Most of the people who have mentioned ridiculous housing prices here when they give their location, it's pretty easy to see they are only looking in their preferred social status area of about 3 miles. I've looked and it's always an excuse why they can only look at the $800k houses in such a small area than the $200k houses a 20 minute walk away.

People are often tied to school districts when they have kids. In densely populated areas, the quality of schools can vary tremendously in a matter of a couple of miles. We depend on special education services for both our teens that are simply not available in neighboring districts. But even then, you'd be hard pressed to find anything reasonable anywhere in our county. There are no homes anywhere for $200k.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter