Did you have loving parents as a child?

To be brutally honest, not especially. ☹️ More of a focus on discipline than love. The good thing is that I love my own kids to bits and would have to say my parenting style is in many ways the opposite of my own parents.

Yes. My mother especially was the best my sister and I could ever ask for. My Dad had serious issues, but was a still loving and affectionate parent when he was around.

Any kids of borderline personality disorder parents out there? I'm sure they do love you on some level but it comes with a whole lotta' crazy. My mom was the BPD one and my dad worked alot to finance her wild spending/avoid her.
But me and him have a great relationship since their divorce. I haven't talked to her in years.

I was adopted at birth and so very loved. Along with their 2 biological children, my sisters. They never made any difference between us and we were their whole lives. While my parenting style is quite a bit different from theirs, I never doubted their love and I hope that my 4 daughters can say the same of their dad and I.

Yes, I realized how lucky I was and am. I'm grateful every day of my life that my parents adopted me and loved me to the end.

Not particularly. From what I remember about my father (he died when I was 13), he was a typical 1950s/60s father. Off to work by 7am, home by 5:30, dinner on the table by 6:15 (so there was time for a highball first). He'd supervise bath/bedtime for the little kids (my sibs are 4, 9, and 10 years younger than I) and always had a good-night hug for us. I don't remember a whole lot about him, but I've seen pictures from backyard fun, where he'd have a bunch of kids over and do things like organize potato sack races and pitch a handful of change into the wading pool for us to "dive" for, stuff like that. My cousins (who are older than I) remember him as generous, kind, almost bigger-than-life, but I don't remember that. I remember him hosting family gatherings, setting holiday traditions, and as I approached my teen years, doing a lot of arguing with each other.

My mom? When my dad died, she crawled into a shell for years, living off the insurance money and drinking. She was never very supportive emotionally. I've always said I'm sure she loved us as she was our mother, but I'm not sure that's 100% true. The older I get and the more I learn of my mother's life (she died 17 years ago), the more I understand how she became the way she was- emotionally distant, socially isolated, alcoholic. It's funny, though... all through high school and college years, for all of us, my mom was welcoming to our friends, always had a bunch of teens/young adults around. EVERYONE wanted her to be their mom, everyone wanted to be part of our family. WE always said, be careful what you wish for- because it was all surface impressions, and for show. My mom was very hands-off and distant most of the time, and my aunt has said my mom was lucky that we were basically good kids, because it would have been very easy for us to get into a lot of trouble.

No. I thought my mom hated me and my dad was indifferent until I had my daughter. They told her they loved her then started telling me. I felt like an afterthought. My mom died in July. On her death bed she said she and my dad loved my daughter more. Guess it wasn’t my imagination all those years. I understand that the relationship with a grandchild is different but it still hurt. My whole life and all other relationships have been negatively influenced by the feeling that my parents did not love me. I wish she would have left me with the illusion that she cared so I could have tried to make peace with the past. I heard her lie or stretch truth many times. Why couldn’t she lie one more time. Her final words will be with me forever. She must have disliked me more than I thought to leave me with that memory.

Last edited:
No. I thought my mom hated me and my dad was indifferent until I had my daughter. They told her they loved her then started telling me. I felt like an afterthought. My mom died in July. On her death bed she said she and my dad loved my daughter more. Guess it wasn’t my imagination all those years. I understand that the relationship with a grandchild is different but it still hurt. My whole life and all other relationships have been negatively influenced by the feeling that my parents did not love me. I wish she would have left me with the illusion that she cared so I could have tried to make peace with the past. I heard her lie or stretch truth many times. Why couldn’t she lie one more time. Her final words will be with me forever. She must have disliked me more than I thought to leave me with that memory.
Sending hugs. I understand.

For the first 18 years of my life my mother tried to kill me multiple times a day. Once she had a stroke and was forced to quit smoking the attempted murder stopped.
My mom actually did hold a knife to my throat and threaten to kill me for something my dad did as a way to get back at him.

My mom actually did hold a knife to my throat and threaten to kill me for something my dad did as a way to get back at him.
Sorry it happened to you as well.

My attempted murder was more subtle.

Society is fine with it since it is not as immediate and there is so much money involved, over 12 billion dollars in tax revenue per year in the US.

Money for the win!

Sorry it happened to you as well.

My attempted murder was more subtle.

Society is fine with it since it is not as immediate and there is so much money involved, over 12 billion dollars in tax revenue per year in the US.

Money for the win!
I figure smoking in the house or car with children is child abuse. Shouldn’t be allowed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter