Did you help with your child's wedding? How much did you spend?

Our daughter got married with a weeks notice (both military). We spent a grand total of $1,500. It was such a heartwarming and fun wedding with all our friends and family pitching in to pull it together on such short notice.
We gave our sons each the same amount toward rehearsal dinners. Their brides families paid for much more lavish weddings.

I definitely agree with being fair between the kids. I got married 10 years ago and my mom told me she could contribute $5000 toward my wedding - it was fine - I made it work and ended up paying quite myself for our wedding. My sister is getting married in August and mom told her she would give her $10000 for her wedding. I really don't think my mom's financial situation is any different now that it was 10 years ago that would allow her more discretionary income. It does hurt to know that my sister is getting twice as much as I did.

Your 5,000 10 years age was probably close to her 10,000 as far as what you get inflation and all- I don't think it would be fair to give her only 5,000 when it was worth less than your 5,000.

We are paying for my daughter’s upcoming wedding. We live near Nashville, TN and are planning a church wedding for about 150 with a ballroom type reception. All in I hope we can get it for $45,000-$50,000. The first planner we contacted told us that she had planned weddings of our size in Nashville that costed $150,000. No way would I spend that much on a wedding. I think anything over $35,000 is crazy but so far I think the wedding will cost more.

We are paying for my daughter’s upcoming wedding. We live near Nashville, TN and are planning a church wedding for about 150 with a ballroom type reception. All in I hope we can get it for $45,000-$50,000. The first planner we contacted told us that she had planned weddings of our size in Nashville that costed $150,000. No way would I spend that much on a wedding. I think anything over $35,000 is crazy but so far I think the wedding will cost more.

That's some of the problem, you can set a budget but dang some stuff just costs what it costs, you know?

I am not sure exactly what we would save fixing our own food, but then I think about everything we would have to rent/buy to serve it plus having someone volunteer to set the food out, etc. I wonder if its worth it.

Photographers here are at a minimum $3000. The only two people we know that are photographers are in the wedding so no hope of a savings on that.

You didn't, but you mention giving it to them after the wedding to specifically prevent them from spending it on the wedding. Why, if it's something that really means a lot to them?
I’m not the person you are quoting, but will chime in -
I expect my kids to budget for what they can afford. It is one day of their life, and the end result is the same whether you spend $20 or $200k. Blowing a bunch of money on it is not wise. If you offer money prior to the wedding it becomes “oh mom gave us this money to use towards the wedding so we have to spend it on the wedding.” Rather than, “what a nice gesture to help us start our future together.”
But I have many years to drill into my kids’ heads that a wedding is just one day. We will see what happens when the time comes, hopefully my lesson stays with them!

Just got married in March of last year at an all inclusive barn venue. I live in Alabama. My parents bought my wedding dress and I paid for everything else. They would’ve helped me out more financially if they could have, but are not in the position to so. I am a teacher so obviously the venue I chose had to be one that I could afford and I refused to take out a loan for a wedding. The venue included the catering, florist, DJ, and photographer so all I had to find on my own was a cake, dress and tuxes, and invitations. We could’ve used their decorations but chose to use our own. My mom really stepped up and helped me to make my day perfect and special through the decor. It was the best option for my husband and me for sure!

I honestly don’t remember what we spent on individual items other than my American wedding dress but I do remember things we did to save money since we paid for half. We were graduate students part-time and both worked full time who were living in a truly crappy apartment together to save money.

My American wedding dress, train and wrap cost $600 at an outlet store. I loved it more than what I tried on at fancy wedding boutiques. I used a retired lady for alterations who supplemented her retirement income doing that mainly for pageant contestants and brides. It was way cheaper than what bridal stores charged for alterations. I also bought my wedding shoes elsewhere to save money. They were Life Stride and super comfy. I still have them.

Most of the locations we looked at required us to spend money on things we didn’t want to spend money on such as valet parkers, a fee to reserve a backup indoor location in case it rained, photography fees, preferred vendors, etc. I kept searching until I found a spot that didn’t require any of that and we ended up at a historic village I had loved since I was little. The fee included a huge historic mansion where the entire wedding party could dress, time for the rehearsal, an outdoor bandstand for the wedding, an intimate historic chapel in case it rained (It did.), use of the grounds for wedding photos, a huge parking lot so guests could self park, and an enclosed pavilion for the reception.

A lot of people spend a small fortune on flowers for wedding and reception decorations but we saved money by using candles in the wedding chapel instead which created a very romantic and intimate atmosphere. We made the centerpieces for the reception tables very cheaply. Each table was themed on a different book genre and had books from our collection on that table placed between bookends we made very cheaply using wooden shelf brackets from Home Depot. Fall leaves we gathered were scattered on the tables. Guests found their table using sheets that had their genre on it. We didn’t do much else in the way of reception decor because the room had floor to ceiling windows that showed off the beautiful grounds.

We also saved money on food and drink. We chose a caterer that allowed us to provide the beer and wine (no champagne or hard liquor) at a considerable savings. We got better quality stuff for less at Costco and World Market during a sale. We had a buffet and no passed drinks or appetizers which saved us money on food and staff. We found a baker for our bride and groom cakes who made cakes on the side in her home (her home kitchen had been inspected and she had a license) and was able to make the cake I wanted without using expensive fondant.

We saved money in other random ways too. We sent out Save the Dates postcards using postcards we printed on our home printer. We found a photographer who was willing to shoot our Indian wedding as a substitute for our engagement session in our photo package. We didn’t hire a limo or party bus. Since we paid for our rehearsal dinner we chose a place that would allow us to provide dessert. We only invited the wedding party to dinner and invited out of town guests for dessert. We bought simple gold wedding bands from James Avery that cost less than $200 each including engraving. We also skipped wedding favors.

The only thing I regretted saving money on was our dj. We chose him since he didn’t pressure to spend extra on a fog machine, disco ball, etc that we didn’t want. He offered to play some of the songs we provided on a CD but didn’t check in advance whether his equipment could play it. As a result, we entered the reception to silence instead of Billy Idol’s White Wedding like we wanted.

Last edited:
I honestly don’t remember what we spent on individual items other than my American wedding dress but I do remember things we did to save money since we paid for half. We were graduate students part-time and both worked full time who were living in a truly crappy apartment together to save money.

My American wedding dress, train and wrap cost $600 at an outlet store. I loved it more than what I tried on at fancy wedding boutiques. I used a retired lady for alterations who supplemented her retirement income doing that mainly for pageant contestants and brides. It was way cheaper than what bridal stores charged for alterations. I also bought my wedding shoes elsewhere to save money. They were Life Stride and super comfy. I still have them.

Most of the locations we looked at required us to spend money on things we didn’t want to spend money on such as valet parkers, a fee to reserve a backup indoor location in case it rained, photography fees, preferred vendors, etc. I kept searching until I found a spot that didn’t require any of that and we ended up at a historic village I had loved since I was little. The fee included a huge historic mansion where the entire wedding party could dress, time for the rehearsal, an outdoor bandstand for the wedding, an intimate historic chapel in case it rained (It did.), use of the grounds for wedding photos, a huge parking lot so guests could self park, and an enclosed pavilion for the reception.

A lot of people spend a small fortune on flowers for wedding and reception decorations but we saved money by using candles in the wedding chapel instead which created a very romantic and intimate atmosphere. We made the centerpieces for the reception tables very cheaply. Each table was themed on a different book genre and had books from our collection on that table placed between bookends we made very cheaply using wooden shelf brackets from Home Depot. Fall leaves we gathered were scattered on the tables. Guests found their table using sheets that had their genre on it. We didn’t do much else in the way of reception decor because the room had floor to ceiling windows that showed off the beautiful grounds.

We also saved money on food and drink. We chose a caterer that allowed us to provide the beer and wine (no champagne or hard liquor) at a considerable savings. We got better quality stuff for less at Costco and World Market during a sale. We had a buffet and no passed drinks or appetizers which saved us money on food and staff. We found a baker for our bride and groom cakes who made cakes on the side in her home (her home kitchen had been inspected and she had a license) and was able to make the cake I wanted without using expensive fondant.

We saved money in other random ways too. We sent out Save the Dates postcards using postcards we printed on our home printer. We found a photographer who was willing to shoot our Indian wedding as a substitute for our engagement session in our photo package. We didn’t hire a limo or party bus. Since we paid for our rehearsal dinner we chose a place that would allow us to provide dessert. We only invited the wedding party to dinner and invited out of town guests for dessert. We bought simple gold wedding bands from James Avery that cost less than $200 each including engraving. We also skipped wedding favors.

The only thing I regretted saving money on was our dj. We chose him since he didn’t pressure to spend extra on a fog machine, disco ball, etc that we didn’t want. He offered to play some of the songs we provided on a CD but didn’t check in advance whether his equipment could play it. As a result, we entered the reception to silence instead of Billy Idol’s White Wedding like we wanted.

I absolutely LOVE your book-themed table and centerpiece idea. That is so original and sounds beautiful.

We just got married this past August and had a destination wedding on a cruise ship. So my parents paid for the all-inclusive wedding "package" which included the ceremony, reception, food & drink, DJ, etc. It came to around $2500. My mom was also generous to buy my wedding dress, which was about $500.

My parents had always wanted to pay for my wedding and when I asked if they were sure they wanted to pay for this, the response was "Yes, we're getting off cheap!" :rotfl:

Of course, with a destination, every guest is responsible for paying their own way (if they choose to come) so that differs from a traditional wedding. We would do destination again in a heartbeat! But honestly, the way weddings are now I can absolutely understand wanting a small wedding of some kind or eloping altogether!

We are in NC. Our kids aren't there yet, but my guess is that we will do what my friends did. They had two girls and a boy and gave each of them $10,000 when they got married. That is what my father did as well. I had a $5K wedding, trying to save them money, but he insisted that I keep the other $5K. We used it for a downpayment on our first house.

I honestly would encourage my kids to have a small, low cost wedding and use the rest on their actual lives as well, but they can choose.

The weddings I’ve been to lately have all been in the $20,000 - $40,000 range. Our son is newly engaged and we are hoping they will opt for a smaller wedding and purchase a house or condo. Fingers crossed.

Our DD is getting married in February. Where we come from, things like the groom seeking permission prior to proposing and the bride's family covering wedding expenses are the standard protocol. While this wedding, and our elder daughter's a couple of years ago, are a bit stressful financially, we would never consider seeking others to assist in covering the costs. These are our daughters. Like their educations, this is our responsibility. While it may mean making some sacrifices to our personal standard of living, these are things we are happy to do. We were offered significant assistance by our DD's future in-laws, which was very gracious, but we declined. Again, these are our girls and our sole purpose in life is to ensure they are off on the right foot. Whether it's making sure they have no college debt or their fairy tale wedding (1-time only though), it is the very least we can do given the joy they have and will continue to bring to our lives.

Of course, we have told them both that they need an extra bedroom for us when they come to put us in debtor's prison!

This is a zombie thread! But... I'll bite. ;)

My son is 3. We will hope if he asks. My parents paid for our entire wedding - about $15k in 2012.

Of course, we helped our children! My husband and I invested about $6,000 in our daughter's wedding. We wanted her to feel like a princess at a ball with a prince. And so it was! She's our most beautiful and dear daughter. I'm happy that we managed to find the money for such an important event.
Welcome to the dis, Jely.

OOOOO A zombie thread.

5 out of 10 zombies said they helped choose the brains at their kids weddings.
2 out of 10 zombies said their kids eloped because they wanted their brains in an exotic location.
2 out 10 zombies said they ate the brains of their kids would be bride or groom before the wedding.
One zombie started drooling and asked us if we would like to come to a wedding.
So we hit the poll mobile and high tailed it out of there.

A lot more then we thought we were. Our DIL’s parents, after saying they we’re going to help pay for several things, decided not to. So we, along with our son and daughter-in-law paid for everything and my husband and I weren’t making anywhere near what her parents made. The kids have been happily married for 14 years now and we have 3 beautiful granddaughters so that’s all that matters.

This zombie thread was actually interesting to go back and read. I am in the camp of spending a lot for a one day event is beyond my imagination. I'd rather give my kids money for a down payment on a house, especially here in CA. My wedding-we went up with my best friend, sister and some others and got married in the little chapel in Lake Tahoe. (my dad couldn't go to the mountains/heart issues). We came back and had a party with about 200 people in my mom/dad's house. My best friend's sister made my 3 tier cake, my mom and older sister made food.
My son and dil (they were actually doing better than I at the time money wise due to divorce), they got married at my dad's old farm house (now a county historical site). The night before for the rehearsal, we got a lot of pizzas and sodas to eat at the farm house. She hired someone that has a white carriage and came down the long drive in the horse drawn carriage. It was special because they got married in the rose garden in front of the house. The roses were transplanted from my mom's house (both my parents had passed). They paid nothing for the venue (now it is $$$$ now that the county has found they can charge a lot). They had their reception at the senior living facility they met at in the big dining area. (for TVguy-Eskaton on Walnut-I think it's Walnut or Garfield area). They did have a sit down dinner but bought their own liquor. I would guess they spent about $5000.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter