Difference in Tonga Toast

knicksak2

Mouseketeer
Is there a difference between the tonga toast from captain cooks and the one from kona cafe besdies the price? and if there is what is it?

I don't think that you get a slice of pineapple or the strawberry compote with it at Captain Cook's. We were thinking about going over to get it for a quick service breakfast at Captain Cooks but without the strawberry compote, we are on the fence about it.

I haven't had it at Kona, but I did have it at Cooks. I thought it was a little dry and ended up getting quite a bit of pancake syrup from the dispenser to moisten it up a little bit.

It's all about the strawberry compote at Kona. The strawberry against the bananas is what makes the dish for me. We were at Kona yesterday morning and our server brought me 3 containers of the compote after hearing how much I love it.

My family enjoyed it from Captain Cooks, even without the strawberry compote. The convenience and price (it was less expensive at the time) appealed more to us than a sit down breakfast.

I'd heard so much about Tonga Toast I had to try it. First bite, I thought it was too sweet, the sugar on the outside was unpleasantly crunchy and I didn't think much of it. Then I put the strawberry compote on it. Oooooohhh, what a difference. I was scraping out as much as I could from the jug. It totally makes the toast. I'd pour that compote on anything and everything. It adds a bit of tartness to the excessive sweetness, melts the sugar and adds a delicious flavour.

To me it doesn't compare. You need the strawberry compote from Kona to really to bring the dish together.

53FD8FB0-276C-428B-ADD0-B857CEEC7CB2_zpsnhykmyfr.jpg

I had it last summer at CC's and enjoyed it. I've had it at Kona several times over the years. Didn't miss the compote, but I'm all about the bread/buttery bananas/cinnamon sugar.

I do love going to Kona for press pot of Kona coffee and Tonga Toast but if I'm in a hurry, CC's is a great option.

I've had it both places and maybe a few years ago tasted a difference but honestly not anymore. It's the same either place.

Ive never had it..Way too sweet of a breakfast item for me. But I will say that when we were at Kona in May this year the two tables on each side of me had it and 5 of the 6 orders got sent back and another item ordered. I heard the vast majority say it wasnt nearly as good as it has been in the past. I have seen posted on here that the bread used had changed but again I have no idea. Im sure others who eat there frequently will chime in extensively but thought I would throw what I heard and saw out there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter