Digital Membership Cards?

This is an excellent question. I know this seems as though everyone has a smartphone, but what is the solution for those members that may not have smartphones (these people do exist...)

A Disney bus driver told me that DVC members who don't have newer cell phones and are unable to access the Magic Mobile Pass will have to ride the last 1/4 of Spaceship Earth in order to receive a "blue card" certificate...🤔😬😁

Not happy with that, I'm kinda attached to my flip even thou I don't turn it on most months. We were at OKW three weeks this past year and never left the room with a phone. My college educated wife has a newer phone but is lost beyond actual phone calls and texting. But I did get bumped into by several hundred people in the parks this past year who were probably very good with their phones.

As of today, there is no option to receive the discounts if you can not use Magic Mobile.
As of today or as of when they get it fixed? Because if it’s as of when they get it fixed I’m predicting we’ll be using the temporary digital good for the next month cards in perpetuity.

As of today or as of when they get it fixed? Because if it’s as of when they get it fixed I’m predicting we’ll be using the temporary digital good for the next month cards in perpetuity.

As of today in the program as it was designed. It will be interesting what happens next week when the rules are supposed to be enforced.

So what about all their foreign owners that do not have data plans in the US? This is total crap! Issue a bloody plastic card. Now I am annoyed again with DVC/Disney.

Probably counting in WiFi? I also read elsewhere that CMs will be able to help a guest access it via their devices.

Again, no idea how it will work moving forward when issues occur.

Probably counting in WiFi? I also read elsewhere that CMs will be able to help a guest access it via their devices.

Again, no idea how it will work moving forward when issues occur.

I’ve wondered about this too, because the WiFi in the parks is terrible. It works very well sometimes and in some spots, but there are huge dead areas, and even when you get a strong signal it keeps disappearing. I had hoped they’d improve the coverage, especially when they even started adding WiFi to some of the buses, but it was still terrible when we visited a few weeks ago.

I’ve wondered about this too, because the WiFi in the parks is terrible. It works very well sometimes and in some spots, but there are huge dead areas, and even when you get a strong signal it keeps disappearing. I had hoped they’d improve the coverage, especially when they even started adding WiFi to some of the buses, but it was still terrible when we visited a few weeks ago.

Those with an Apple Watch will be okay. I really think the goal will be to eventually use the QR code, and have it a tap system. As I mentioned, we have been fortunate to not run Into issues with WiFi or service in the parks for what we needed to do.

However, as with technology..it’s great until it isn’t.

Those with an Apple Watch will be okay. I really think the goal will be to eventually use the QR code, and have it a tap system. As I mentioned, we have been fortunate to not run Into issues with WiFi or service in the parks for what we needed to do.

However, as with technology..it’s great until it isn’t.
Yes, on our trip last week my Apple Watch, which had worked perfectly as a MB on previous trips with MagicMobile implemented, didn’t work for that at all! Fortunately I had brought last year’s MB puck in a watchband slider, so I just slipped it on. It will be some months before we’re back, so I’ll just uninstall and reinstall MM before then.

So what about all their foreign owners that do not have data plans in the US? This is total crap! Issue a bloody plastic card. Now I am annoyed again with DVC/Disney.
Once the Disney MagicMobile Pass is loaded in the wallet app, you don't need an active data connection to view that card in the wallet app (at least on an iPhone).

Every place I have seen '100% digital only tickets' always has a back-up for those without smart phones. Our NFL and NHL teams only have season tickets and regular tickets by digital. No paper tickets. Unless..... you visit the offices at the stadiums in person, they will print out paper tickets. Same with Ticketmaster and other ticket vendors. They'll create and accept a printed ticket too.

Disney doesn't have to make a physical plastic card, but they have to make some way to print out a QR code or something. Or there will be lawsuits.

Plus, what if the cell/wifi goes down, you can't enter the park at all? If the internet goes down for a day, parks are all closed?

Plus, what if the cell/wifi goes down, you can't enter the park at all? If the internet goes down for a day, parks are all closed?
In the past when Disney’s network crashed, we’ve been let into the parks for free! Over the last 20 years, it’s happened to us 3 times.

Cast Members simply waved us in past the turnstiles. As you might expect, Guests were really happy about their good fortune!

Every place I have seen '100% digital only tickets' always has a back-up for those without smart phones. Our NFL and NHL teams only have season tickets and regular tickets by digital. No paper tickets. Unless..... you visit the offices at the stadiums in person, they will print out paper tickets. Same with Ticketmaster and other ticket vendors. They'll create and accept a printed ticket too.

Disney doesn't have to make a physical plastic card, but they have to make some way to print out a QR code or something. Or there will be lawsuits.

I think with tickets they would always have to find a way. But discounts or extras? i don’t think they have to offer an alternative if they don’t want to.

But, as already mentioned, the Wallet or Google pay app doesn’t need anything to have it be able to show the affiliations which is all that is needed. Even if the plan is to eventually scan, the back up would be to look at it in the app.

Membership extras document has been updated and does now specifically say it requires a digital card. But, the last line seems different. Could this mean they may remove grandfathering? Or was that there?

Last edited:
It's always been pretty unclearly written. The April 4, 2016 clause at the end is tacked onto a sentence that isn't really about Membership Extras generally, but only about exchange options, so it's confusing, especially given that the preceding sentence is about Membership Extras. And then consider that as defined in the first sentence, exchange options are part of Membership Extras, but aren't the whole extent of Membership Extras.

Of course, DVC did this to themselves...I can't fault their lawyers for not really understanding the complicated rules DVC created.

If they were going to remove grandfathering, I think they'd change that last sentence to simply read: "Members who have not purchased an ownership interest directly from DVD will not have access to Membership Extras" and be done with it. No dates, no qualifiers, just that sentence.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter