Digital Membership Cards?

Legally they couldn’t revoke a grandfathered clause without due process, and they certainly couldn’t do it instantly. They would have to prove those grandfathered have broken a rule/law, the expiration date (end of contract) comes up, or they would have to prove the grandfathered in rights have gone unused for X amount of time.

That said, this is ridiculous it’s taken nearly a month and it’s still not fixed.

Legally they couldn’t revoke a grandfathered clause without due process, and they certainly couldn’t do it instantly. They would have to prove those grandfathered have broken a rule/law, the expiration date (end of contract) comes up, or they would have to prove the grandfathered in rights have gone unused for X amount of time.

That said, this is ridiculous it’s taken nearly a month and it’s still not fixed.
And we are getting very close to the end of Jan.

After weeks of anxiety with an incorrect MM pass, it is finally correct! I did delete my phone number... which I believe someone suggested... and reentered it. Not sure whether that's what did it or not but I finally have a pass in my Apple wallet that is DVC Y, ANNUAL.

I'm just too old for all this!

Hi.

I am not tech or phone savvy at all. Can you please walk me through step-by-step.
From the very beginning on what app to open.
PLEASE, I would appreciate it so much.
We purchased in 2009 and grandfathered in. Was the first group.

Thank you.

Edit:

I just went into MDE and deleted my phone number and saved.
Then went back in and entered it and saved and then had a code sent to my cell.
Saved.

I then downloaded the card, AGAIN, and it still says ND.

GGGRRRR

Last edited:
I suspect this is less about thwarting cheaters and more a capitulation to the fact that it’s impossible to train the front line Cast to apply discounts only where they are supposed to.

CM training is difficult, so put in place a more difficult system? Blue card = discount, white card = no discount is simple. The new system is the opposite of simple, and imposes greater burdens on both CMs and members.

We are one of the grandfather in owners with a trip in a week. I tried chat last week and they just said that it was being worked on and to wait until later in the month. This is my last day off before my trip, so I figured it might be the day to sit on hold for hours if needed. Are people getting them fixed by calling? So do I call or do I trust Disney IT to get this done by the end of the month.

We are one of the grandfather in owners with a trip in a week. I tried chat last week and they just said that it was being worked on and to wait until later in the month. This is my last day off before my trip, so I figured it might be the day to sit on hold for hours if needed. Are people getting them fixed by calling? So do I call or do I trust Disney IT to get this done by the end of the month.

AFAIK the grandfathered DVC-ND issue can't be fixed on a one-off basis by calling. It requires a global solution that hasn't been implemented yet. Perhaps someone else knows otherwise, but I think everyone experiencing this issue is just waiting.

Personally, I'd be surprised if it's fixed by the end of the month. I think that was more of the goal/something they tell people who call as opposed to a hard deadline. I guess we'll see.

The membership documents say that the benefits need to be provided for 3 years or less for any member. So, I think they can legally take them away from anyone at any time and change the rules.

While I don’t think they intended to change the rules, the terms and conditions of them clearly state they can change the requirements at any time, and that would include those with less than the current 150.

these are incidental benefits, and not guaranteed so

I am not tech-savvy at all! Where is everyone seeing the Y or the ND? I added passes for my DH and me on MM in the MDE app. It allowed me to pick the DVC design but not my DH. Not sure why because his name is on the membership, too. I see both of our passes when I pull up MM, but nowhere does it say DVC Y or DVC ND. Where should I be looking?

I am not tech-savvy at all! Where is everyone seeing the Y or the ND? I added passes for my DH and me on MM in the MDE app. It allowed me to pick the DVC design but not my DH. Not sure why because his name is on the membership, too. I see both of our passes when I pull up MM, but nowhere does it say DVC Y or DVC ND. Where should I be looking?
If using an iPhone, open the Wallet app. Select your pass and then touch the 3 dots at the top right.
If using Android, open Google Pay. Select your pass and then select details.

You can't select the DVC design for DH because you manage his profile. The only way for him to get the DVC design is to setup his own DVC & MDE accounts and then link them together and then create a MobileMagic pass on his device while logged in to MDE as himself.

If using an iPhone, open the Wallet app. Select your pass and then touch the 3 dots at the top right.
If using Android, open Google Pay. Select your pass and then select details.

You can't select the DVC design for DH because you manage his profile. The only way for him to get the DVC design is to setup his own DVC & MDE accounts and then link them together and then create a MobileMagic pass on his device while logged in to MDE as himself.
Thank you. So mine says DVC Y which is correct. We have only ever bought direct, no resale.

My trip starts tomorrow and I tried calling earlier this week. They weren’t able to do anything for me, unfortunately.

I would agree. While they (DVD) have the right to add or remove perks, or end the whole "incidental benefits" concept altogether, the actual right to enjoy those perks is defined contractually.

I haven't read the last 50 pages, but this digital card thing is crap! lol

I have been to WDW twice this month. I just got a temporary card and screenshot it and showed that. What a pain in the ****. Wouldn't be as bad using FaceID but with always wearing a mask, I've got to unlock my phone everytime. I'd much rather use a physical card.

Now I'm sitting here trying to set it up for my wallet and it's not working. Lovely.

While there may be some legal basis to challenge an arbitrary removal of benefits, due process isn’t it (eg: 5th and 14th amendment protections) since due process only applies to actions by the governmental.

It is simple. But the past many years have demonstrated that the Cast can't (or won't) consistently apply it.

I've said more than once over the years that it has to be important to the retail and food and beverage division to "police" the policy for DVC and I doubt that will ever be the case.

I've said more than once over the years that it has to be important to the retail and food and beverage division to "police" the policy for DVC and I doubt that will ever be the case.

Well they definitely policed the digital card vs physical card when I was there Jan 2-7 and again Jan 22-26. I tried every time to use my old physical card and not one CM would accept it.

OTOH, they did not once question my daughter (who is also a member but had never set up a DVC account to enable access to a digital card) while using MY digital card. (There was no way I was wasting even MORE vacation time trying to get my DD's account and card set up.)

Funny how that works, isn't it?! lol

I was honestly a little mad about it on 1/2 because it was 2 days into the policy and I hadn't even realized there was a change and that my card was expired. So, I had to stand at a register with a mile long line and get my digital card. I'd have expected a bit of a grace period.

Well they definitely policed the digital card vs physical card when I was there Jan 2-7 and again Jan 22-26. I tried every time to use my old physical card and not one CM would accept it.

OTOH, they did not once question my daughter (who is also a member but had never set up a DVC account to enable access to a digital card) while using MY digital card. (There was no way I was wasting even MORE vacation time trying to get my DD's account and card set up.)

Funny how that works, isn't it?! lol

I was honestly a little mad about it on 1/2 because it was 2 days into the policy and I hadn't even realized there was a change and that my card was expired. So, I had to stand at a register with a mile long line and get my digital card. I'd have expected a bit of a grace period.

It's been a very poor roll out for certain. Now we wait to see if DVC cares enough to get this fixed and if they'll give some allowance for people who don't own smart phones. It's a lot of hoops to jump thru now to get something that is supposed to entice you to buy direct.

Is the DVC discounts the same as the annual pass discounts?

I'd much rather get a card for my pass and use that.

There are at least a few where DVC gets a slightly better discount but for the most part, they are the same.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter