Digital Membership Cards?

Is the DVC discounts the same as the annual pass discounts?

I'd much rather get a card for my pass and use that.
I think the annual pass discount is going to be implemented the same way. My account says DVC Y and Annual. Maybe they are getting rid of the Annual Pass Discount card....... grrrr.

The membership documents say that the benefits need to be provided for 3 years or less for any member. So, I think they can legally take them away from anyone at any time and change the rules.

While I don’t think they intended to change the rules, the terms and conditions of them clearly state they can change the requirements at any time, and that would include those with less than the current 150.

these are incidental benefits, and not guaranteed so

They could remove them at anytime but only if they removed them from everyone. They couldn’t only strip benefits from those grandfathered in.

They could remove them at anytime but only if they removed them from everyone. They couldn’t only strip benefits from those grandfathered in.

Where does it say that they must grandfather anyone in for these?

Terms and conditions subject to change. Just don’t see how the rules could not change in the future.

Even those of us who have direct points could be required to buy more in the future.

Last edited:
Where does it say that they must grandfather anyone in for these?
I would imagine it's based on legal advice. If they change benefits in a way that differentiates between existing owners, then those slighted owners have standing to file a complaint. If they only make the change going forward, then nobody has cause to sue them.

Also, "grandfather" in this context has very discriminatory roots. I'm working to remove it from my lexicon.

Again, my reading of the sales agreement (contract) is that Membership Extras can change or can be eliminated completely, at any time, and without notice, and there is clear language defining Disney's right to do so. However, the contract also clearly defines the requirements for eligibility for those Membership Extras, and that language cannot be changed unilaterally by Disney. Think of it like a home mortgage with a variable interest rate. The lender has the ability to raise or lower the interest rate based on certain criteria, but they can't unilaterally decide 5 years down the line to add a balloon payment requirement or modify the term (duration) to the note.

In other words, Disney is bound by, and the owner enjoys, whatever eligibility requirements for MB's as defined in their specific contract, but Disney can removed those ME's across the board at their discretion.

If, in my contract, Disney says I need 50 direct points to enjoy Membership Extras, than that what I need. For the duration of my contract. There's no "grandfathering" involved. That is the language of the contractual agreement between Disney and me. Unless there is language that says "The number of points required for eligibility for Membership Extras may increase or decrease and your eligibility may be subject to those changes", then the contract speaks for itself.

Last edited:
Again, my reading of the sales agreement (contract) is that Membership Extras can change or can be eliminated completely, at any time, and without notice, and there is clear language defining Disney's right to do so. However, the contract also clearly defines the requirements for eligibility for those Membership Benefits, and that language cannot be changed unilaterally by Disney. Think of it like a home mortgage with a variable interest rate. The lender has the ability to raise or lower the interest rate based on certain criteria, but they can't unilaterally decide 5 years down the line to add a balloon payment requirement or modify the term (duration) to the note.

In other words, Disney is bound by, and the owner enjoys, whatever eligibility requirements for MB's as defined in their specific contract, but Disney can removed those MB's across the board at their discretion.

I will have to look back at the contract but I thought the terms and conditions for eligibility are part of the membership extras document which can be changed by Disney. I think that is why they can require you to use a mobile card to access.

ETA. In my RIV POS, it does not define the terms in detail (ie: that I qualify at 100 points) so I do think this would allow for them to change the minimum for all owners. Curious as to what other resort POS language says.

Last edited:
I will have to look back at the contract but I thought the terms and conditions in terms of specific are part of the membership extras document which can be changed by Disney.
I believe that is why they include:
effective April 4, 2016, Members who have not purchased an ownership interest directly from DVD will not have access to Membership Extras.
because they know that those people who bought resale before that date are eligible based on their contract language, and Disney can't change it.

I will have to look back at the contract but I thought the terms and conditions in terms of specific are part of the membership extras document which can be changed by Disney.

ETA. In my RIV POS, it does not define the terms in detail so I am not so sure they can not change the minimum for owners if they want based on this.

View attachment 643077
Again, you keep looking at the language that defines what the programs are and how those programs can be altered or removed (of which there is no argument). There is no language in there that allows for any changes in ELEGIBILITY for those programs. The only reference to participation in the programs is that it is voluntary, and that they may be offered "solely with respect to Ownership Interests purchased directly from DVD" (the direct buyers only condition that we all know exists), but there is no language allowing the number of direct points to be changed, and again they do specifically address pre-2016 resale owners.

Again, you keep looking at the language that defines what the programs are and how those programs can be altered or removed (of which there is no argument). There is no language in there that allows for any changes in ELEGIBILITY for those programs. The only reference to participation in the programs is that it is voluntary, and that they may be offered "solely with respect to Ownership Interests purchased directly from DVD" (the direct buyers only condition that we all know exists), but there is no language allowing the number of direct points to be changed, and again they do specifically address pre-2016 resale owners.

So, what document would show I am eligible at 100 points?

We are getting off topic but it is interesting to me because the threshold and the 2016 language is in the Membership Benefits document which does say it can be changed…again, why they do not need to make any concessions for anyone who doesn’t want to use the MM pass for discounts.

Last edited:
So, what document would show I am eligible at 100 points? Or, is it implied with the date? Is that what you mean?
I would argue that your eligibility requirement is defined by the number of points prescribed in the Membership Extras Acknowledgement and Disclosure Statement that was included as part of your contract with Disney.

About the closest you'll find to wiggle room is actually the last paragraph of that Statement where they say:
The incidental benefits described in this Statement are offered to prospective purchasers of the vacation
ownership plan. These benefits are available for your use for a period of three (3) years or less after the first date that the vacation ownership plan is available for your use. The availability of the incidental benefits may or may not be renewed or extended. You should not purchase an interest in the vacation ownership plan in reliance upon the continued availability or renewal or extension of these benefits.
But even then, it speaks to the availability of the benefits, and not eligibility. Anyway, I subscribe to the "Plain Language" principle of contract reading, I don't see specific language addressing changes to minimum point requirements and I don't think they can change it (the eligibility as defined in a specific contract, not future contracts), so we move on.

Last edited:
The passholder discount card is also a theme park ticket, so I don't see them getting rid of that.

I was told that with my renewal that if I want to use an AP discount I needed to show the card and for the exact reason you state, it is the ticket as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter