Dina's and Peter's FANTAS(y)TIC First!!

My husband and I ate at Palo on the Wonder for our Honeymoon in 2006, so it has definitely been awhile since we've been! :) We are looking forward to trying for a Palo brunch on our postponed 15th anniversary cruise, scheduled to sail next year in June. The dinner certainly looks lovely, too, especially dessert--yum!!

I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts on Jamaica! When we rebooked our cruise for next year, it became a 7 day instead of 6, including a stop in Jamaica, so we are really excited about that!

My husband and I ate at Palo on the Wonder for our Honeymoon in 2006, so it has definitely been awhile since we've been! :) We are looking forward to trying for a Palo brunch on our postponed 15th anniversary cruise, scheduled to sail next year in June. The dinner certainly looks lovely, too, especially dessert--yum!!

I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts on Jamaica! When we rebooked our cruise for next year, it became a 7 day instead of 6, including a stop in Jamaica, so we are really excited about that!

We loved the brunch and would highly recommend it, and would do it again in a heartbeat. The chocolate souffle was definitely one of the highlights of dinner, absolutely scrumptious!!

Spoiler alert...we had an amazing day in Jamaica (but we disagree about one aspect of our excursion). Stay tuned!

Wednesday, January 8, 2020 - Falmouth, Jamaica

How else would the day start out, if not with horrid coffee and Mickey Waffles and daily breakfast sandwiches of the day at Cabanas? Yeah, that happened, and then we eagerly disembarked for the tour I had booked through Trip Advisor with the vendor Marvyn's Paradise Tours: "Blue Hole and Sightseeing Tour from Falmouth." This tour cost $96 pp and included transportation from the port to the Blue Hole, a gorgeous spot in the rain forest near Ocho Rios. Reviews on TA suggested a lunch stop and beach time on the way back, depending on what the consensus of the travelers was. We expected to be sharing the van with a larger party, so we knew we'd be satisfied if we only got to play around at the blue hole.

jamaica1.jpg

Our pick up time was 0900, and I needed to call them to confirm our booking and arrange for pick-up, I believe I did this from home before we left or maybe from the port in PC before we embarked. I don't have the instructions written anywhere so they must have been simple. I know we needed to exit the gates of the port area into the historic town, where we met our driver, Kenneth, in front of an old church. It turned out, Peter and I were the only two guests on the excursion, so we had our very own driver and lots of time and conversation to ourselves.

It was about an hour and a half, maybe almost 2 hours from the port to the Blue Hole, which is a little up the mountains from Ocho Rios. So if my understanding of the geography is correct, we had to drive pretty much due east along the north coast of the island to Ocho Rios, and hang a hard right to head south into the mountains.

Somewhere along the north coast highway of Jamaica, heading east:
jamaica2.jpg

The morning, especially during the drive, was pretty misty and overcast, but Kenneth told us not to worry, most days in Jamaica aren't ALL rainy. It turned out to be true, but I'm not sure if it would have mattered or spoiled our fun if it had rained all day, anyway.

We arrived at the Blue Hole around 10:45 am. Kenneth stayed with the van while he passed our care over to an incredibly fun and capable Blue Hole guide, I'm sad now that I can't remember his name. He safely navigated us through the gully, encouraged us forward when we felt scared, and took lots of great pics!
jamaica3.jpg

jamaica5.jpg

We had been advised by the tour company and the reviews on TA that swim shoes were a must (also very true), so we came prepared!

This particular excursion requires a fair amount of agility and strength to get the full appreciation of the place. I enjoy active excursions, but I was too chicken to jump from the highest rocks.

jamaica6.jpg

We climbed on slippery rocks and played in waterfalls.
jamaica7.jpg

This is a wimpy jump!
jamaica8.jpg

Same wimpy jump, different angle:
jamaica9.jpg

jamaica10.jpg

jamaica11.jpg

I'm at my photo limit, so will continue this next post!

Wednesday, January 8, 2020 Jamaica continued

This is honestly one of the most beautiful spots on the planet:
jamaica4.jpg

Stairs to climb up and down (I think mostly because I was too chicken to jump off the highest rocks:
jamaica12.jpg

jamaica13.jpg

Frolicking in the caves behind the waterfalls:
jamaica14.jpg

Swimming in the fresh, deep, busy water:
jamaica15.jpg

Heaven? Maybe!
jamaica16.jpg

That pretty much sums up the Blue Hole. There was a rope swing like Tarzan that we both enjoyed, but somehow I don't have any pics of that event. It drizzled practically the whole time we were there, but since we were in the waterfalls anyway, we didn't really feel it. I can imagine, though, this Garden of Eden would have been even more stunningly beautiful with bright yellow sunlight to bring out its vivid colors. The water was cool, but not cold by any means, and this was in early January in the mountains!

Next up, the drive back to Falmouth (the stops along the way), and where we disagree about Jamaica.

Wow, how gorgeous!!! I haven't really looked into which port excursions we would be interested in doing, but these pictures certainly give me food for thought! The only one I sort of looked into so far was bobsledding down a hill through the rain forest, but not sure I'm feeling brave enough for that!

Wednesday, January 8, 2020 - Jamaica continued

After all of that traipsing over wet stairs and slippery rocks, and the swimming and jumping and swinging...we were hungry and thirsty! So we asked Kenneth to take us to a real Jamaican lunch spot. He chose...or gave us a quick description of a few and we chose...the Ochos Rios Jerk Centre:
jamaica20.jpg
I believe the gentleman standing in the parking lot there is THE Marvyn of Marvyn's Paradise Tours, who was either doing his own tour or was checking on us, but either way, we had a delightful short conversation about how much we were enjoying our day, the tour, and thier beautiful island country.

Our comfortable minivan sitting in the parking lot as we walked around and chatted:
jamaica19.jpg

The Jerk Centre, covered but open air restaurant
jamaica17.jpg

We ordered a few jerk platters so we could taste a bit of everything. Lunch was not included on this tour but was extremely inexpensive for tons of delicious, inexpensive food (and Red Stripe, in bottle, of course!)
jamaica18.jpg

And free wifi!!
jamaica21.jpg

We were still agreeing about Jamaica at this point BTW. So far, so great!

With satisfied tummies, we made our way back to the van and still had one more stop...the beach!! After all, we are on this gorgeous tropical island known for fabulous beaches, and we still had plenty of time! And the weather was improving tremendously, so we felt we oughta give a beach a try. We were hoping for something somewhat secluded, or at least a little uncrowded...that didn't happen so much. I guess the beaches with public access are a bit limited? IDK, it seemed like there should have been many many long kilometers of pristine beaches, but we ended up at one close to Ocho Rios which was small and crowded! It was called Bamboo Beach and it had a bar/restaurant there called Bamboo Blu. I guess our tour included access to this particular beach which did require an entrance fee, but Kenneth just went to the entrance guard and grabbed us a few wrist bands which gave us access for the afternoon.

Bamboo Beach is apparently the chosen beach for the port of Ocho Rios cruise ship passengers who want a beach day. It is an easy excursion that one can book through the ships or just hire a taxi on their own. In fact, the lovely couple lying on their towels next to me talked to me at length about their MSC cruise/ship that they were enjoying immensely. They love MSC. For the price. They have sailed on MSC many times and swear by it. We have it on our list to try eventually.

When I say they were lying next to me...there's a lot to unwrap there. They were practically touching me. I mean, we could have shared a towel, we were so close, because it was that crowded. Additionally, notice how I say next to ME. That is not an oversight. I am not leaving Peter out of this conversation. He took one look at the beach and smiled to me sarcastically and said, "Enjoy! I'm gonna find a bench under a palm tree over there somewhere...(read, away from the crowd)." Now, Peter is not a people or beach hater. In fact I can say with confidence after 31 years of marriage that he adores the beach, and for the most part, enjoys chatting with people. In fact, he's quite gregarious and charming with strangers. So having an opportunity to chat with other beach-loving, cruise-sailing humans on a lovely, sunny beach would be right up his alley. It would take a lot to turn him off to this situation. He found it way too crowded to be appealing in any way. I thought it was crowded but for me...I was in Jamaica...we paid for it...I had to get my body on that beach and in that water whatever the circumstances. And I found it pleasant enough to hang out for an hour or so, chatting and enjoying the beautiful sea.

jamaica22.jpg

jamaica23.jpg

That white building in the pic above is, I believe a hotel or condo with a private beach beyond the Bamboo Bar. We were not allowed over there. But it looked lovely. Here is a pic of the beach in front of that structure.
jamaica24.jpg

I found plenty of room in the water, which was refreshing but far from cold, clear and calm.
jamaica25.jpg

Back in Falmouth, Peter in the wind, contemplating a disappointing beach experience:
jamaica26.jpg

Since January of 2020, as you know, travel has taken a hit. We have had to cancel multiple trips to various destinations. Over the past 18 months I have struggled to figure out ways to sneak a vacation in somehow, somewhere. Any suggestion of Jamaica has met an adamant no because of Bamboo Beach. I still think Peter is being a bit unfair. I didn't think the beach was that bad, especially in context of the whole day; we had a wonderful day in a gorgeous, tropical place with really friendly people. If you are contemplating trying your luck for a beach day in Jamaica, I strongly suggest checking the cruise traffic in Ocho Rios before committing to Bamboo Beach. Even consider a day pass to an all-inclusive resort, I know those are available, but we didn't seriously weigh that option because we prioritized the Blue Hole...no regrets!

I had time, and honestly would have enjoyed the beach a bit longer, but wanted to get Peter back to the ship. So after an hour or so we found Kenneth and the minivan and headed back to Port Falmouth and the Fantasy.

Last edited:

Kenneth dropped us off directly at the port and we had to say goodbye to our new friend:
jamaica27.jpg

The port at Falmouth is quite new and very pristine in stark contrast of the old historic village near which it was built (I wish I had photos of that town!) There are many small shops in the port area, lots of vendors selling snacks and crafts. There are a few full restaurants as well, Margaritaville comes to mind. I think Margaritaville has a pool and maybe even a mini waterpark that offers access for the day with a fee, so that is another option if you're looking to get off the ship. We had time to walk around and soak in the atmosphere.

jamaica28.jpg

jamaica29.jpg

Back in our stateroom to relax and get ready for the evening, this is the view from our verandah:
jamaica31.jpg

And sailing away, farewell, Jamaica!
jamaica32.jpg

I think I'm on Team Dina in the Great Jamaica Debate 😎 I'm thinking I would've just sucked it up and found a spot to enjoy as much of the beach as I possibly could. Not sure how often, if ever, we'd make it back to Jamaica, so I think I'd likely make the best of it, too. Though, what a picture imagining how on-top of one another you must've been with your newfound beach friends!

I love that you were able to experience an authentic Jamaican meal (red stripe and all!) during your excursion, too. While we love ourselves an afternoon at Margaritaville, I think you made the right choice!

Thanks for this trip report. I've done this itinerary twice. Once on the Liberty of the Seas out of Galveston and then back in the 1970s on an NCL ship called the MS Southward. It's funny - our most recent Jamaica experience was kind of like yours. The portion of the excursion to Dunn River Falls was great. But the second half was a traditional meal with some musical entertainment in a lush setting. That was fine - but the electricity and plumbing was intermittent - and the toilets backed up. And then on our way back to the ship - we stopped at a really lame, rundown gift shop. It wasn't scheduled - they just took us there. And then when we got back to Falmouth - we barely had time to look around there. My hubby is a hard "no" on going back to Jamaica.

Any suggestion of Jamaica has met an adamant no because of Bamboo Beach. I still think Peter is being a bit unfair. I didn't think the beach was that bad, especially in context of the whole day; we had a wonderful day in a gorgeous, tropical place with really friendly people.

I am not a fan of taking a long and/or expensive trip to a place that is isolating. I want to experience the culture, the music, the foods, everything -- and with the people who create those things. I realize that some places have by necessity or choice "packaged" those experiences, and I'm totally cool with that when there is no other choice.

Arriving in Falmouth port, I immediately realized that the marketplace was a well-curated experience of crafts and foods, including the obligatory chain stores and eateries/bars that you see in every Caribbean port of call. It was so well-curated that the area was surround by a high metal fence with guarded entry points. Right outside, people were living their lives, but there were no food or craft stands. Just taxi drivers waiting nearby their cars. Additionally, we had been "advised" to be a bit on our guard because the area was not necessarily the safest.

Honestly, being from NYC, and having travelled the world and purposely visited other places and times that I had been cautioned against, I generally disregard this kind of "advice". But I note it for your knowledge. Our taxi driver was really nice, and so were the people we interacted with at every juncture.

Jamaica is beautiful. It is also mountainous and largely rural, with a road system that does not challenge those details. Our driver noted that there had also recently been a storm, and he didn't expect the government to get around to fixing things anytime soon. This made hiring a taxi a necessity, but also told me that I would be traveling between destinations - mostly commercially tended areas carving out experiences for tourists. Those destinations were not close. For example, I would have loved to visit Bob Marley's house. Unfortunately, that was 2 hours each way, just to travel a very circuitous route to get there.

Blue Hole was definitely a commercial destination. However the natural beauty of it far outshines the commerce. It's worth the trip.

The beach was another story....

I grew up on family vacations to the Jersey Shore (long before it was "MTV's Jersey Shore"). It would occasionally be crowded on days like Memorial Day, 4th of July and Labor Day, but not THIS crowded. And, I wasn't paying an arm and a leg to be in New Jersey.

I once went to Jones Beach on Long Island on a Saturday with a friend. It was this crowded. Never again. While closer to my house than the Jersey Shore, I would rather drive the extra time to enjoy myself.

D is underselling how crowded and loud this was. If I wanted this much density and volume, I could just book a mega-cruise and stay at the pool bar.

I would return to Jamaica to investigate some other place like Blue Hole, and to make a pilgrimage to Bob Marley's house and museum. But there are other places that I haven't seen yet that I would prioritize first.

I think I'm on Team Dina in the Great Jamaica Debate 😎 I'm thinking I would've just sucked it up and found a spot to enjoy as much of the beach as I possibly could. Not sure how often, if ever, we'd make it back to Jamaica, so I think I'd likely make the best of it, too. Though, what a picture imagining how on-top of one another you must've been with your newfound beach friends!

I love that you were able to experience an authentic Jamaican meal (red stripe and all!) during your excursion, too. While we love ourselves an afternoon at Margaritaville, I think you made the right choice!

Thanks for sticking with me, literally AND figuratively through this report!

Thanks for this trip report. I've done this itinerary twice. Once on the Liberty of the Seas out of Galveston and then back in the 1970s on an NCL ship called the MS Southward. It's funny - our most recent Jamaica experience was kind of like yours. The portion of the excursion to Dunn River Falls was great. But the second half was a traditional meal with some musical entertainment in a lush setting. That was fine - but the electricity and plumbing was intermittent - and the toilets backed up. And then on our way back to the ship - we stopped at a really lame, rundown gift shop. It wasn't scheduled - they just took us there. And then when we got back to Falmouth - we barely had time to look around there. My hubby is a hard "no" on going back to Jamaica.

Funny how one negative situation can turn a person off to a port. I get it, there's a lot invested. I'd love to try that Dunn River Falls excursion "next time." Glad you're following along!

I would return to Jamaica to investigate some other place like Blue Hole, and to make a pilgrimage to Bob Marley's house and museum. But there are other places that I haven't seen yet that I would prioritize first.

By "other places" you mean Hawaii, right? Because, you know, I CAN make that happen...pirate:almost immediately!

Wednesday, January 8 - evening activities and dinner in Animator's Palate

The featured show this night was the Physical Comedy of Max Winfrey and he was hilarious!! I highly recommend his show; if he's on your ship, don't miss him. When that was finished, we had a little time before dinner, so we went to the DLounge to watch the fun family game Mirror Mirror.

APnight01.jpg

I don't remember exactly how the game was played, but it had something to do with filling those wicker baskets on the stage with apples and the basket with the most apples was the winner. The cast members, of course, were charming and witty and creative, and we had such a great time watching. All the little details on a Disney cruise...priceless!

Dinner that night was our second night in Animator's Palate, the one with the cartoons the guests draw coming to life in a show at the end. Very fun. Also delicious!

We started with our placemats, er, cartoon cels
APnight02.jpg

I ordered one of the specialty drinks that night. I don't have a description, and our bill just says "Liquor," but it was a sparkling wine with fruit, like a bellini but maybe apple? It was ok. A bit too sweet for my liking.
APnight03.jpg

I only got a shot of 1 appetizer, so I suppose we both ordered the same thing? Pursettes on the menu again? OK, bring them on!
APnight04.jpg

I can't find any menu that includes these items, but I'm pretty sure we went with lamb chops:APnight05.jpg

And spaghetti with shrimp:
APnight06.jpg

Though for the life of me, I can't tell you which of us ordered which dish. We love to share anyway, so we probably just split them.

Sory the colors of my pics are just off. The lighting in this restaurant is always a different color. Next time I will try to remember to use my flash to minimize that effect.

Between the mains and dessert we watched our animation show:
APnight07.jpg

Cheesecake or custard pie or bread pudding with ice cream and vanilla sauce?
APnight08.jpg

Ice cream sundae of the day:
APnight09.jpg

Our servers told us to head up to the atrium for a surprise and I'm so glad we did because there was a little something brewing, with Star Wars Day at Sea being the next day!
APnight11.jpg
I don't want to give away too much, but it seemed our ship might be in for a serious inspection (there might be Rebels on board...don't look at us, we're just on the vacation that fit into our schedules!).

Last edited:
Thursday, January 9, 2021 - Star Wars Day at Sea

We, well...I...slept in (while Peter went to the gym) and then we had a leisurely breakfast at Cabanas. You know, the usual: Breakfast sandwich of the day, hash browns, Mickey waffles, and undoubtedly, some other treat (eggs benedict someday, doughnuts another, etc.). Barely potable coffee (I still cringe at the thought of it, nearly 2 years later).
Starwars01.jpg

Actually, I think this was the day we watched a cast member refill the coffee carafe and we drank from that one and guess what? It wasn't too awful. I mean, it still wasn't good, but it was at least acceptable. This was the same day that we also made the discovery of...

POG juice at the buffet!! The IMPORTANT lesson here that I want to share is don't fall into a routine. Don't get too used to a particular table or section of Cabanas. Branch out. There's more to be discovered at a different beverage section! We were prepared for this cruise. We did research, read trip reports, watched vlogs. We KNEW there was POG juice at Cabanas. But...we forgot? Got too excited to think about it? Too much into our routine to go out a look for it? All I can say is POG juice from Cabanas and a bottle of Prosecco in the stateroom fridge makes for a really scrumptious mimosa and a wonderful start to a perfect day at sea!
Starwars03.jpg

When I say rainbows and sunshine, I'm being quite literal. Here is the view from our verandah:
Starwars02.jpg

Peter and I spent hours out on the verandah that sea day. Not all at the same time, but several hours-long breaks in the day, just soaking in the salty sea air and the fresh ocean breezes. We watched the flying fish playing in the ship's wake. We watched the birds gliding up and down on the wind, and diving after the fish. For hours.

But we didn't want to miss all the amazing activities/amenities on the Fantasy, so we put on our bathing suits and headed up to the sun and pool decks for some lounge time.

Starwars04.jpg

It was WINDY, but sunny, and warm enough if we were lying down near a railing that could break the wind!!

We had a date with a couple of droids in a little while, so we headed back down to our stateroom to dry off and change, and in the elevator bank we ran into a friend:
Starwars05.jpg

Starwars06.jpg

And saw some shady characters:
Starwars07.jpg

And then we were cleaned up for our droid encounter inside Animator's Palate (which was cool to see less full and from different angles. During our wait time for the meet & greet, we had time to soak in some of the cool details in there):
Starwars08.jpg

I'm sure we would have gotten much better photos had we purchased a package, but we still remember the great time we had with these fellows.

We caught a Disney Vacation Club preview (ONLY for the free shipboard credit they gave us for attending, NOT because we were at all interested in any way in DVC which we would never buy into, NO WAY :rotfl2:) (JK we're members now :cloud9:) and then the early show of the featured movie Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker. We thoroughly enjoyed the movie, and the way the ship was pitching and rocking at that point, we felt like we were really immersed in some of the scenes. Some guests in the theater thought that was a bad thing, but we loved it! Even better than Star Tours!:goodvibes

Coming up, Star Wars Night at Sea

We KNEW there was POG juice at Cabanas. But...we forgot? Got too excited to think about it? Too much into our routine to go out a look for it? All I can say is POG juice from Cabanas and a bottle of Prosecco in the stateroom fridge makes for a really scrumptious mimosa and a wonderful start to a perfect day at sea!
View attachment 610989

Unexpected highlight of the trip. But, YES, it is very important to set aside your pre-planning blinders to see the full vista.

We caught a Disney Vacation Club preview (ONLY for the free shipboard credit they gave us for attending, NOT because we were at all interested in any way in DVC which we would never buy into, NO WAY :rotfl2:) (JK we're members now :cloud9:)

Spoiler alert: We didn't buy DVC on the cruise. I was happy to get the shipboard credit, but I wasn't about to run numbers on vaca. Let's leave our DVC adventure for another thread, my dearest.

Thursday, January 9, 2020 Star Wars Day at Sea continued

I forgot to mention that at some point that afternoon we decided to do the Midship Detective Agency activity, which was really fun! We chose the Muppets one (which I understand seems to be deactivated at the present time). Funny thing is, we got the answer wrong!! Haha! Nope we didn't correctly solve the caper. We did get severely distracted during one of the clues as there was a tour going on about the history and design of the ship, so maybe we didn't pay as much attention to a particular clue as we should have? We had a great time doing it though, it's very clever and cute and a fun sea day activity.

Starwars10.jpg

Starwars11.jpg

The gorgeous atrium with Star Wars activities ongoing...
Starwars09.jpg

Sometime between the movie and dinner we popped back into the stateroom to drop off some merch and we found this:

Starwars12.jpg

Our Star Wars themed dinner was in Animator's Palate (it turned out that is where we had most of our meals, as our specialty dinners fell on the 2nd nights of each Royal Court and Enchanted Garden). The menu was the same for everyone this night, a special Star Wars menu.
Starwars13.jpg

I realized that my attempts at taking menu photos were pretty lame, so I didn't take too many, but you get the gist.

For his appetizer, Peter ordered the Bantha Steak Empanadas:
Starwars14.jpg
These were pretty good! We both love chimichuri, so that really made the dish for us.

I had the Padme Amidala Souffle:
Starwars15.jpg

I only have one entree photo, so I'm thinking we both went with the same Lord Vader's Nerf Steak:Starwars16.jpg

For dessert, it looks like Peter went with the Cloud City Macarons:
Starwars18.jpg

While I opted for Han Solo's Frozen Carbonite Sundae:
Starwars17.jpg

You might think that was the end of our dinner and celebration of Star Wars? But you'd be wrong...I'm just at my photo limit. More Star Wars night in next post!

Thursday night continued

Maybe Peter didn't like his light dessert of lemon/raspberry macarons, or maybe just because he could...he ordered an additional treat:
Starwars19.jpg
I wish they didn't ruin the Mickey Bar with those yucky "sprinkles" that taste like stale food coloring. I know that's not how everyone feels about them, but that is my opinion of them. Regardless of how festive they look, I want them off my plate. Peter didn't mind that I don't like them...more for him, haha!

I'm pretty sure our waiter also suggest that we not miss the Calrissian Velvet Cake:
Starwars20.jpg
I think this was good, but we were way too full to enjoy it at this point!

Dinner that night was very good, but if I had to pick a least favorite of the 7 nights, this one might have been it? I'd have to think about it...I think the "worst" of DCL offerings in the main dining room is still better than most of the food I've experienced in main dining rooms on other cruise lines. And where else can you have desserts shaped like Mickey Mouse or etched with Han Solo?!

We love to linger over a leisurely dinner, and it's both easy and hard to do that on DCL. It's easy because the service is amazing and the food is lovely and you can just sit there and order food upon food (and more soft drinks and coffee and tea). It's hard because there's always some activity going on that we don't want to miss. FOMO, if you will.

So we rallied with our full bellies up to deck 11 for the Summon the Force stage show and the Galactic Dance Party.
There's nothing like watching a beautiful fireworks display out on the ocean. How do they do that?
Starwars21.jpg

Starwars22.jpg

Starwars23.jpg
Is that hidden Mickey accidental or orchestrated? There's magic happening everywhere on this ship, and it's difficult to discern what's organic and what's manufactured. In the end, does that even matter? I come away believing in magic!

The Fantasy was still rocking, and not just because of the waves!
Starwars24.jpg

Next up, the day we had really been looking forward to...Castaway Cay! Or...not.

Friday, January 10, 2020 - Castaway Cay...or thereabouts

Peter was excited to be running in the 5K that morning, so we were up bright and early for our Cabanas breakfast and to watch the Fantasy's approach into Disney's beautiful private beautiful island. Well, the captain came on the overhead speakers to announce that the attempt to dock at Castaway Cay had failed due to dangerous underwater currents; it was unsafe to bring the ship into the island at this time, but there was a promise to make another attempt a little late in the morning.

This news was so disappointing and also a little surprising. I mean, it wasn't the prettiest weather we had ever seen, but it also wasn't so terrible. A little breezy maybe? But warm, not ridiculously windy. A few rain drops spritzing down here or there, but no downpours. Mostly cloudy with some breaks of...not quite sun, but lets say...thinner clouds. No white caps could be seen on the sea! The water had seemed MUCH rougher on ALL the OTHER days of this cruise! I understand that it was about what was happening UNDER the water that we couldn't see or feel, but still...BOO! If you haven't already surmised, a second attempt to dock failed later in the morning. So, like Moses at the border of the Promised Land, we gazed longingly at the island for as long as it remained in view.

If you look closely, you can see the elusive Castaway Cay in the distance in the center of this photo:
castaway01.jpg
In retrospect, and in a very certain way, not being able to get in to Castaway Cay was...maybe a good thing? Well, later that day, we would stop by the Future Cruise Desk to purchase a Placeholder, and I'm not sure if that would have happened if we had made it to CC?

At some point that morning, Peter was able to complete the 5K by running many times around the Promenade on deck 4. He felt quite good about it, and I was super impressed with his power and speed! He got a medal as a souvenir and returned to the stateroom quite a sweaty and oh so studly mess, and after cooing over his beautiful medal and breathtaking stamina, I promised that if we ever actually made it to CC, I would join him in the 5K (and if I don't intend to walk it, I really have my work cut out for me).

So, on the bright side of things...we had an unexpected Sea Day!! We might as well make the most of it! We started with shuffle board as we waited for the revised Navigator to come out, so we could pick some activities and plan our day. Neither of us had ever played shuffle board, so it was lucky that the rules were clearly posted. I hate to brag but...I'll admit I'm a natural haha.
castaway02.jpg

It took an alarmingly long time for the revised Navigator to be posted. In real time it was only a few hours, but on ship time it felt like half a day (haha). Don't they have a plan A and a plan B, and all kinds of contingencies built in for just this sort of thing? From what I hear, it's not all that uncommon to have to skip CC for this exact reason. And the seas this cruise were ROUGH. The whole cruise. They had to be thinking that CC was a 50/50 shot at that point, no? If I had to find one thing "wrong" with the cruise, I would say it was this morning. The disappointment of no CC followed by seeming disorganization for what to do next.

We didn't do any activities before lunch that I can remember. We may have gone back to the stateroom for a short nap, and then decided to try the snack bars up on deck 11 for a different kind of "buffet" lunch. I'm talking about Luigi's and Tow Mater's and Fillmore's Favorites, which we had yet to try since embarking. There was plenty to try and we were quite satisfied with small sandwiches, fries and pizza. I didn't take many pics because deck 11 was so crowded that afternoon, but here are the ones I did take:
castaway05.jpg
I like the GF pizza on request sign. Always thinking about our celiac daughter.

castaway03.jpg

castaway04.jpg

We went to O'Gill's at 2:30 for a Pub Quiz (didn't win), and at 4:30 to the Buena Vista Theater for the Final Jackpot Bingo (didn't win)... good thing we are not competitive! I think this was where we stopped by the Future Cruise Desk, which was quicker and easier than expected. And before you know it, it was 6:15 and time for our showing of Believe, which was our least favorite show of the cruise but was sentimental and made me cry nonetheless. Heck, I'm sure I would have cried at anything, it was our last night of vacation, of this amazing cruise.

But we still had one more special thing to do...dinner at Remy's!
remy01.jpg

What a gorgeous space and elegant setting. And the service!! We felt so warmly greeted, definite VIP treatment here.
remy02.jpg

We were escorted past some very expensive bottles of wines, the host mentioned there was one worth around $23K in here:
remy03.jpg

If you know which one it is, please enlighten me, so I don't order it by accident!

remy04.jpg

Our place setting. So lovely. It was truly elegance like you'd expect to see at a really expensive and highly rated land restaurant or on a luxury yacht, not your typical cruise line, not even in specialty dining areas.
remy05.jpg

Much much, more on Remy to come...but would the food meet our expectations? Stay tuned.

Last edited:
Friday, January 10, 2020 - Castaway Cay...or thereabouts

It took an alarmingly long time for the revised Navigator to be posted. In real time it was only a few hours, but on ship time it felt like half a day (haha). Don't they have a plan A and a plan B, and all kinds of contingencies built in for just this sort of thing? From what I hear, it's not all that uncommon to have to skip CC for this exact reason. And the seas this cruise were ROUGH. The whole cruise. They had to be thinking that CC was a 50/50 shot at that point, no? If I had to find one thing "wrong" with the cruise, I would say it was this morning. The disappointment of no CC followed by seeming disorganization for what to do next.

First of all, we were REALLY close to the dock when they decided to call it off. I get that there were probably factors at play of which I was not aware, but it was excruciating to be SOOOOO CLOSE!

But the most surprising thing was that they did not have a boilerplate contingency for a non-Castaway day at sea. That should be a no-brainer for something that happens with a fair amount of regularity. Heck, even WDW has (or had) a special Rainy Day Parade for when it rains.

That being said, I don't encourage you to play shuffleboard with my wife. She's a stone cold killer. (Also minigolf. You have been warned.)

Last edited:
I fell behind! I hate when the DIS doesn't keep me notified of updates!

OH, how crushing not to be able to dock at Castaway Cay!! :guilty: Bad enough you weren't able to dock, but to literally be so close and then unable, BOOOOO!

I'm surprised, as you both mentioned, that there wasn't a contingency plan immediately put into effect! I'd love to know the behind the scenes story of who dropped the ball on that one!!

Sounds like you had a nice, relaxing at sea day at least. Shuffleboard was one of my son's favorite parts of our days at sea on his first (only!) cruise in 2019. He still talks about how he wants to go on another cruise...just to play shuffleboard :rotfl2:

I'm really looking forward to hearing your thoughts on Remy! We've done Palo before, but have never experienced Remy before.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter