Dining plan coming back!

I am surprised we still include alcohol in any plan - this also keeps me from doing most all inclusive cruises as some factor in 4 - 6 drinks a day. I have about 4 drinks week on vacation.

Are you able to purchase for a child without purchasing for the adults?
No, everyone on the room reservatio must get the plan, it is all or nothing. It’s why it may not make sense dele ding on group size,

And, it also can alter whether you add guesrs now who might only stay part of the trip as it doesn’t work if you want the dining plan.

I did the math for 3 example days. It definitely only makes sense if you order alcoholic beverages with every meal. Also need to account for the fact that I would usually get 10% off the table service food with my AP/DVC discount. But adding in the value of the mug... meh. I with they brought back the + plan or the deluxe. I felt like I got my money's worth with those two considering we do drink alcohol. Looks like with this one I would maybe break even.

Day 1
QS: Connections: Cockail $13.50, Bistro Burger $13.79;
TS: Steakhouse 71 Dinner Filet Mignon $38, Cocktail $16.50, Dessert $11.00;
Snack: Ice Cream $6.79
Total: $99.58

Day 2
QS: Ronto's Roasters: 12.99, 16.50 drink
TS: Jungle Skipper: Hanger Steak $38.00, Kungaloosh dessert $9, Margarita $16.50,
Snack: Festival Booth $8
Total: $100.88

Day 3
QS: Satuli Canteen Combo Bowl $17.49, Cocktail $13.50
TS: ohana $59, Cocktail $16.50,
Snack: Festival Booth $8
Total: $114.49

Edited SBD to Ohana which appears to still be 1 credit
We also have a cocktail or 2 with every meal...so we could definitely make it where we are getting more value than the $96/day cost. The issue I always had was I always felt like I had to order to maximize value versus actually ordering what I/we wanted. We also would rather order an app versus getting desert. The only time I could see us getting it is if we go with extended family and they want to add it.

I think for many of the recent years the real benefit to the dining plan is for people who like to have their meal costs paid for before they walk thru the turnstiles. While we don't purchase the plan, I can see the allure for people who like to keep costs budgeted and also who like to prepay. I also think in some cases with 4 to a room it could be a savings when part of the "free" dining promotions.

Yea wont save a ton which is how it was before, but can save a little especially if you are doing character dining a lot.

Heck the kid pricing is actually pretty good if you do a character meal for your TS every time, those are usually $35 per kid (not including CRT or SBD etc). Basically pay for that and their QS and snack are "Free".

Yea wont save a ton which is how it was before, but can save a little especially if you are doing character dining a lot.

Heck the kid pricing is actually pretty good if you do a character meal for your TS every time, those are usually $35 per kid (not including CRT or SBD etc). Basically pay for that and their QS and snack are "Free".
It can, but most of those buffets are pretty awful and it's not a relaxing meal. Not how I'd want to use all my TS credits. And Topolino's is 2 credits, so there goes that! . Again, eating to maximize the value and not eating where or compromising what you eat is not a value.

I can't even come close to breaking even in my estimates. The only way is to go for the most expensive 1 credit TS and order a dessert, the most expensive QS, and the most expensive snacks. You will also need to order a cocktail at every QS and TS meal. Then you might be very close.

Are there any character meals that are only one credit?

Perhaps theses are readily priced for “January 2024” incoming increases. Trying to make it work with todays prices just might be the issue.

Except it is 2 TS credits for a character meal. So you lose money with the plan

I've only done it when I gifted my family a complete trip so they don't have to spend anything on the essentials as I know it would be a burden on them financially even with a free room. It was for convenience and I always believed I should've just given them a disney gift card with a preloaded amount and it would be a better deal.

But I do enjoy the calculators, tips, and optimized menus that Disney fans come up with for dining plans so I am looking forward to that!

Having sharpened my pencil, and looking at the online menus with pricing, it's definitely cheaper for the adults to pay out of pocket with the DVC/AP/Disney Visa discounts than to do the standard dining plan. For the kids dining plan, it only saves money on those 1 table service character meal days.

In order to break even for my family, they'd have to drop the price $10 a day and also give us the 10% dining discount, since we're not going to be ordering $15 mixed drinks or $10 beers with every meal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter