Dining Plan Returning

Unless they've changed the way they operate, you can cancel but you will likely be assessed a change fee. Generally they waive that fee if you increase the price of your package, but not if you decrease it.
Cheers, I called them and even though we did look at hotel upgrades, did not go ahead with any.
A fee was not mentioned at all and was able to cancel and refund the dining plan in full.
There was the usual "are you sure?", "got plenty of time to decide", attempts at trying to keep it on the package, but I just mentioned that I had run the numbers and it was just not looking right for me.
Call was friendly and we chit chatted whilst it was put through.

Do we know if the Fantasmic packages at Mama Melrose or Hollywood and Vine still count as 1TS?

I'm a solo adult guest and would not buy the new DP.

And as it currently stands may not find a future free dining promotion based on this new DP very attractive.

Pre-covid I loved the fall free dining promotion and would stay in a value resort with the included free quick service plan then pay the difference to upgrade to table service. With the new DP, it is extremely prohibitive to pay up and upgrade a tier. It makes no financial sense and seems designed to discourage guests from doing just that should a future free dining promo drop. The current DP is no deal and truly is just a pre-pay plan.

I just booked the bounce back offer and at the moment am confident I have the least expensive approach for next fall. However, future promotions will drop and we'll see what happens.

Even if the current DP is offered as a free dining promotion in the New Year, its likely not as good as the bounce back offer I have right now given the usual and likely increase in resort rack rate, park tickets, etc between now and any free dining drop in the future.

I was also pleasantly surprised with my return to paying oop for my food. I enjoyed some great meals at Yachtsman, Boathouse, etc. I really enjoyed the Orlando Magical Dining Promotion at Jaleo. I also skipped some lunches when I was full and just not hungry. I tallied up my receipts and with the resort room discount certainly beat the dining card offer and had more flexibility to eat what I wanted when I wanted. I did drink significantly fewer alcoholic drinks (which may not be a bad thing) and sampled fewer booths at the F&W festival because I had no snack credits and only purchased what I knew I'd enjoy.

Unless the present DP is rejigged and a better value for guests whether paying for it or offered as a future free dining promo, it's just not worth it for many of us. I can see some value if you have a couple of teenage boys with bottomless stomachs who can chow through quick service food. Otherwise, its not a good buy for many. It's also not all that convenient if you carry a credit card or buy disney gift cards. If you can maximize some of the gift card strategies, you might be able to craft your own free or 'freer' dining plan if you have the time and inclination. There are several threads on the Boards devoted to gift card strategies and those may be worth a hard look.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter