Dining Plan Returning

It is not a saving plan any more. Disney is even advertising that fact now,
Purpose is to prepay for meals.
It sounds like you realize that so you will be happy.
True, its a prepaid convenience. I guess that's why we enjoy cruising. I doubt Disney will ever be somewhere where a bargain can be had but I just can't turn off the desire to go.

It is not a saving plan any more. Disney is even advertising that fact now,
Purpose is to prepay for meals.
It sounds like you realize that so you will be happy.

I'm also happy to see Disney advertising that the Dining Plan is not a money saving tool. You really have to plan well (choosing the most expensive meal at the most expensive restaurants) and/or have an alcoholic beverage with every meal; or do a lot of character meals to come out ahead with the DP. And you have to eat the way the DP dictates. For families (like us) who only want to do one or two TS meals (if that) on a trip and I often get a kids meal because the standard meals are way too much food for me, there's no way to save money with a DP. I understand that some people are willing to pay for the convenience of having everything pre-paid (we have plenty of friends who feel that way), but I feel bad for the unaware/uneducated (in a Disney sense) people who just assume the DP is going to save them money so they pay for it blindly and either find out too late or never find out that they've actually lost money by doing that. At least now they have a warning directly from Disney that (in the vast majority of cases) it's not going to save them money.

I'm also happy to see Disney advertising that the Dining Plan is not a money saving tool. You really have to plan well (choosing the most expensive meal at the most expensive restaurants) and/or have an alcoholic beverage with every meal; or do a lot of character meals to come out ahead with the DP. And you have to eat the way the DP dictates. For families (like us) who only want to do one or two TS meals (if that) on a trip and I often get a kids meal because the standard meals are way too much food for me, there's no way to save money with a DP. I understand that some people are willing to pay for the convenience of having everything pre-paid (we have plenty of friends who feel that way), but I feel bad for the unaware/uneducated (in a Disney sense) people who just assume the DP is going to save them money so they pay for it blindly and either find out too late or never find out that they've actually lost money by doing that. At least now they have a warning directly from Disney that (in the vast majority of cases) it's not going to save them money.

My husband just likes the easiness of dining plan. The new dining plan only has one snack now right?

According to this article, yes.
I think it's great that you no longer need to book a package with tickets to reserve the dining plan.

Same here! We don’t have a package booked for our February 2024 vacation as we might only do one park day. Can someone help me with BWI? What is considered quick service there? Like would a slice of pizza be considered a quick service meal? A deli sandwich? Thank you!

I‘ve been running the numbers since we plan on doing tons of character meals this trip and still can’t make the numbers work. DS will be 9 this trip so trying to fit in all the buffets or set price meals before he turns 10. The 2 credit meals throw everything off. Not to mention the only way I can really save money is if we do character dinners but we prefer breakfast.

We have never done the regular dining plan. Did do the deluxe which was awesome 10years ago. We would do a split stay and do deluxe the first half so the credits would still be good all day when we moved. We did tons of character meals and always came out ahead. Pretty sure back in 2010-2012 when we did it the dxdp was close to the cost of the regular now.

Really wish they had the plan that came out right before covid with the 2 TS. Dh and I also don’t drink alcohol so that is a waste for us.

I‘ve been running the numbers since we plan on doing tons of character meals this trip and still can’t make the numbers work. DS will be 9 this trip so trying to fit in all the buffets or set price meals before he turns 10. The 2 credit meals throw everything off. Not to mention the only way I can really save money is if we do character dinners but we prefer breakfast.

We have never done the regular dining plan. Did do the deluxe which was awesome 10years ago. We would do a split stay and do deluxe the first half so the credits would still be good all day when we moved. We did tons of character meals and always came out ahead. Pretty sure back in 2010-2012 when we did it the dxdp was close to the cost of the regular now.

Really wish they had the plan that came out right before covid with the 2 TS. Dh and I also don’t drink alcohol so that is a waste for us.
Yeah, with great sadness we are abandoning any hope of the DDP. I don't think we would even come in the ballpark of breaking even.

I feel like covid stole 2 DDP trips from us when my child was 8 & 9 (I mean, it did, lol). Now that it's back and they're 11 it's just not worthwhile for what they eat (or lack thereof). I mean, $313/day + tips for the four of us is just not reasonable, we usually go for 10 days.

My family of 4 (all over age 9 and therefore adults for DDP purposes) just got back from a week (6 nights) at WDW, with 9 TS meals (including a Fantasmic dinner package and a Category 1 Hoop-Dee-Doo seating, which would have "cost" double credits on the DDP if they were covered at all), 4 CS meals, a lounge visit, all with some appetizers and desserts, alcohol and specialty drinks, and some snacks. Even with ordering many of the more expensive entrees and specialty items, we ultimately paid 40% less than all the same things would have cost on the DDP (at 2024 pricing, of course).

I know there are ways to break even when you buy the DDP, if you plan carefully and limit your choices, but I'd rather save money by paying out-of-pocket to eat whatever we want, wherever we want. For the last 6 years (that is, since our kids have been over age 9), that has meant that we get twice as many TS meals as the DDP would cover, for way less money. Obviously the math will be different for every family, but our dining preferences are too divergent from the DDP for it to ever "save" us anything by purchasing it.

Last edited:

This is where the deluxe plane was great….

You could a a character meal, or a show, and a normal meal…..

We usually get a nice sit down breakfast and a 2 point dinner

Or a character breakfast and a family style dinner …..

Either case 1 point a day doesn’t work….

The deluxe plan was perfect and we realized at 25 to 35 percent savings…. Even considering AP and DVC discounts

Has anyone been able to book the plan on a room only reservation without a split stay ?

If I decide that the dining plan is not actually for me, is it just a case of calling them and cancelling it for a refund?
(Trip is fully paid off with the QSP).

Has anyone been able to book the plan on a room only reservation without a split stay ?
I'll answer my own question as I just did this today in case anyone else was wondering.

I booked rooms today online with the new book early discount. Then called reservations to ask for the QSDP to be added. The agent did have to cancel my first set of reservations and book new ones but still got the book early discount, no park tickets and the QSDP.

Do you all think that the TS meals costing up to $34.99 will be the one credit meals and the TS meals costing up to $54.99 will all be 2 credit meals?

My sister is a huge advocate of the dining plan and it’s just never worked out for my family. Since we will be planning a trip together next year, I want to figure this all out.

Thanks for your thoughts!

If I decide that the dining plan is not actually for me, is it just a case of calling them and cancelling it for a refund?
(Trip is fully paid off with the QSP).
Unless they've changed the way they operate, you can cancel but you will likely be assessed a change fee. Generally they waive that fee if you increase the price of your package, but not if you decrease it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter