Dining Plan

iloveokw

DIS Veteran
We have always been one of Disney and DVC's biggest fans and promoters - but I am so upset that we cannot get the Dining Plan - not DDE - and are treated as second class citizens. I am sure this has been addressed in the past but all of the TR of the "free dining" have set me off - I don't mind paying the $$ for it, it should also be available to us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is offered to people paying cash and rack rates for rooms not for points stays and I don't foresee it ever being offered to DVC.

Help, what is TR?

Anyway, I think the DDE and AP discounts available to DVC members are a great tradeoff for the MYW dining discounts. Really much more flexibility too. But you could always bank your points and book a cash reservation. :flower:

But I will admit last year when I was first reading about the MYW dining plan, I was more than a little envious as an AP holder and DVC member. But then the new year dawned with news of the DDE and AP discounts, I was a happy camper. :cool1:

TR = Trip Report

I don't see it as DVC being second class citizens. If an AP holder books a room with the AP discount, they can't get the dining plan either. Dining plans have pretty much always been part of packages. It will be interesting to see if DVC does come up with a dining plan. My bet is it will not be the same as the package plan because there is no way for them to make money on it without the overpriced room.

DebbieB said:
My bet is it will not be the same as the package plan because there is no way for them to make money on it without the overpriced room.

I agree with this 100%. Disney has to make up the money and if folks are willing to pay higher for their room that is their choice. I'm glad I don't have to do the math.

I am happy as can be with my big AP discount and DDE. :flower:

That's really got to be it. If you cannot offer something that is a win-win -- a win for the supplier and a win for the customer -- then it is better to offer nothing at all.

I don't see any reason for DVC to offer us a dining plan, and if it is similar to the one provided to those paying full rack rate, I probably wouldn't be interested anyway.

dianeschlicht said:
I don't see any reason for DVC to offer us a dining plan, and if it is similar to the one provided to those paying full rack rate, I probably wouldn't be interested anyway.
Same here, and I'd bet that the number of DVC folks who would want a Dining Plan that was Length of Stay would be pretty low....

I think people thing they are going to get the $35 rate that the Disney room bookers get and I just don't see that happening. The dining plan is linked to the hotel revenue so Disney is looking at it in TOTAL. I expect that if we get a dining plan you are looking at something more in the $50 to $70 range....

I don't see why Disney wouldn't offer a dining plan to ANYONE that wanted it. They could price it accordingly so that the profit margin was what they feel worthy of the service. It would be a step in the direction of an all inclusive type of vacation similar to what you get on cruise lines. The Orlando area is more competitve now than it has ever been and Disney is obviously working on a way to keep guests on their property for the ENTIRE length of their stay.

The "free" Magical Express service is a good reason not to drive or rent a car. The MYW ticket package is basically the same principle of a length of stay pass that they used to offer. A ticket package that would get you into the parks everyday of your vacation. Last but not least, the MYW dining plan. This option makes it easier to eat in the parks instead of leaving Disney property or making your own meals. I would figure that Disney would rather make less of a profit than to make no profit at all.

DDP for DVC ASAP

CarolA said:
I think people thing they are going to get the $35 rate that the Disney room bookers get and I just don't see that happening. The dining plan is linked to the hotel revenue so Disney is looking at it in TOTAL. I expect that if we get a dining plan you are looking at something more in the $50 to $70 range....

Lets see during the "FREE Dining" promo you could get two adults and two kids the dining plan for no charge, Even when paying as little as $77 per night at a value resort. (If those two children were between the ages of 11-17 it would be like 4 adults on the dining plan).

I am sure the dining plan is subsidized somehow I dont know how much, but when I do the math it cant be that much.

Right now a family of 4 can book a Value resort with a AAA Discount and then pay $35 per person(over 10) for the dining plan. During Value season the Value room goes for about $64(with discount). How much of that $64 can be offsetting the cost of the dining plan?????

All I am saying is offer us DVC members the unsubsidized price and let us decide if we buy it.

Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way: In general, we'd see the unsubsidized price, and judge the company negatively based on being unsatisfied with the price of the offering, instead of judging the company positively for making the offering.

I am personally waiting to see if they come out with some sort of a dining plan before I buy into DVC

bicker said:
Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way: In general, we'd see the unsubsidized price, and judge the company negatively based on being unsatisfied with the price of the offering, instead of judging the company positively for making the offering.
I think this means that we'd be whining about being treated as "2nd class citizens". ;););) :teeth: :teeth:

Best wishes -

dcibrando said:
I am personally waiting to see if they come out with some sort of a dining plan before I buy into DVC
I certainly would NOT use that as a gauge to buy in. Perks change yearly, so don't buy if a perk is what powers your decicion. Buy because you want a pre-paid vacation for 38-50 years, not for a perk that can change tomorrow. Because timeshares like DVC offer full sized kitchens, you will find very few timeshares that offer a dining plan as well.

While I agree with OP; Anyone going to the meetings needs to be aware that AAA (ie DISCOUNTED PACKAGES) allows add on of the dining plan. So, discounted rooms are allowed the dining plan. My thinking is, if I was a AAA member booking my travel, I get more of a perk than being a DVC member. In that aspect in particular it seems unfair that DVC'ers are not at least offered the plan. I know not everyone wants it, no problem. Also, because DVC'ers are a group--it would be nice if we could even just buy meal vouchers, any other groups, civic associations are able to purchase the vouchers, why not DVC'ers??? Hey, I love DVC and Disney as much, if not more that most but I appreciate the ability to use discounts provided and if they are provided to other groups, why not DVC???!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter