Dining Reviews Part I Kona Cafe, Flame Tree and 1900 Park Faire

zulaya

DIS Veteran
Cast of Characters:
Me33 - like to try new things, but know exactly what I don't want
DH34 - meat and potatoes type guy, but willing to be a little adventurous
DS11 - has food radar constantly on, pretty adventurous, eats pretty much anything
DD10 - the picky one who really came out of her shell and tried some new stuff this time. But still does not really eat "outside the box" if you get my drift

We tried the Dining Plan for the first time this trip. As both kids are considered adults by Disney, we were curious as to how they would do with appetizer, entree and dessert.

Dec 9 - Kona Cafe - Dinner
This was a new try for us...we have done Kona for breakfast, but this was our first dinner there. We had a 5:30pm ADR and were seated promptly within 5 minutes of checking in even though it was a very busy Saturday. Debbie was our server and she was fantastic. We ordered Coke, Diet Coke, Lemonade and Root Beer all around and got to our appetizers. DD got the potstickers, DS got the chicken wings, I had crab cakes and DH had the seafood chowder. DD didn't really care for her potstickers, but I think it was more because she loves chicken and wanted DS's chicken wings. They pretty much inhaled that plate. DH loved his soup. I really liked the crab cakes and I'm not really into crab cakes at all. I thought my portion was a perfect appy portion for one person. The plate of chicken wings would have been an entree for DD and an appy for DS, but they did well sharing together.

For entrees:
DD wanted to get the turkey medallions and Debbie told her right away that she would not like that. She asked DD what she liked...of course, DD says chicken so Debbie recommended she have the Coconut Chicken. DD loved it. Pretty much scraped the plate clean.

DS had the Shrimp and Scallops entree. He loves shrimp and was ready to try scallops. Turns out he didn't care too much for them, but he inhaled his shrimp pretty darn quick. DH and I finished off those scallops.

DH had the prime rib. It's prime rib, what can I say. He loved it.

I had the Macadamia Nut Encrusted Mahi Mahi. Mahi Mahi is my absolute favorite fish. I LOVED this dish. As DD would say, "Yumatrocious!" Loved my steamed sticky rice, too. Everything was great!

Desserts:
DS had the Kona Kone which had 2 kinds of ice cream in a sugar cone with cotton candy around the bottom. He loves ice cream so this was a good deal for him. DD loves cotton candy so he shared with her.

DD had the Kilauea Torte. She's become a grownup girl in that chocolate is a food group for her. She giggled with glee when that chocolate fudge oozed out when she cut into it.

DH had the White Chocolate Cheesecake. He's a cheesecake person. He thought this was good and that's saying something because he does not care for white chocolate.

I had the Caramel-Banana Creme Brulee. I love creme brulee and this was just rub your tummy good!

If we hadn't been on the dining plan, this meal would have cost $179.22

Dec 10 - Lunch at Flame Tree BBQ. This is an annual favorite. Everyone loves the ribs here. We got 3 rib meals and I got the BBQ Chicken Salad. The rib meals came with 1/2 slab of ribs, baked beans and corn on the cob. We really aren't baked beans people so those really didn't get eaten, but the ribs and corn disappeared fast. My salad was a mixed greens salad with some shredded BBQ chicken and a baked tortilla wedge in a plastic bowl. Loved whatever vinaigrette dressing they used. Yum. For dessert, DH had the Key Lime Pie, I had the frozen lemonade and the kids had chocolate cake. All in all a very satisfying and filling meal.

If we weren't on the dining plan, this meal would have cost $61.92.

Dec 10 - Dinner at 1900 Park Faire
DS loves this meal because Prince Charming is there. He likes to see the male characters. It's a good buffet with lots to choose from. I loved the tomato and mozzarella salad and the strawberry soup, of course! DH went back for seconds on the Chicken Marsala. The kids pigged out on pizza, but also ventured to have some of the pork and chicken on the main buffet.

If we hadn't been on the dining plan, this meal would have cost $144.37.

Part II coming up...

Enjoyed reading your reviews ~ Thanx for sharing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter