Dining Reviews Part III - Garden Grill, Afternoon Tea at GF

zulaya

DIS Veteran
Cast of Characters:
Me33 - like to try new things, but know exactly what I don't want
DH34 - meat and potatoes type guy, but willing to be a little adventurous
DS11 - has food radar constantly on, pretty adventurous, eats pretty much anything
DD10 - the picky one who really came out of her shell and tried some new stuff this time. But still does not really eat "outside the box" if you get my drift

We tried the Dining Plan for the first time this trip. As both kids are considered adults by Disney, we were curious as to how they would do with appetizer, entree and dessert.

Dec 12 - Lunch at Garden Grill
When I ask my family where the one place they want to eat is, DH and DD always say, "The spinny restaurant" AKA Garden Grill.

We had a busy morning at Epcot EE riding Soarin', M:S, TT and Finding Nemo. So we reported for our 11:50am ADR at Garden Grill around 11:40am. We were seated again in about 5 minutes. We had a nice table on the upper level. We had a fun server whose name I can't recall right now, but he was great about bringing refills but not hovering either.

Even though our ADR clearly said 4 adults, our server brought out the kids offerings as well, which was very thoughtful as DD loves chicken strips and DS loves mac n cheese, even though he didn't really touch it this time around.

This is a family style meal where they bring all the offerings to your table and refill as needed. We got fried catfish, turkey, flank steak with mushrooms, cranberry relish, mashed potatoes, roasted vegetables (carrots, zucchini). We also had some biscuits and rolls with some honey orange butter as well.

I say again...Yumatrocious!!! The kids loved the fried catfish and they don't typically like fish. We got extra fish. DD ate almost all the initial turkey portion...she's a real meat-o-saurus. DS did fish, carrots and mashed potatoes. DH and I equally loved the steak and mushrooms.

We had a visit from Farmer Mickey, Pluto, Chip and Dale while we were there. The characters here are always great.

DS had been handed a B-day pin earlier in the day so they brought out a cake...a HUGE cake for him. I was thinking he'd get himself a cupcake, but they brought out a nice single layer 6-8inch cake. It was very thoughtful.

If we weren't on the dining plan, we would have spent $104.53

Dec 12 - Afternoon Tea at the GF
I have personally been dying to try this for years. So I put my foot down and made the family go. DH and I had the Grand Tea...he had a Russian Earl Grey (loved it) and I had something fruity...I can't remember but I want to say it was Jasmine, but I'm not sure. Loved the teeny sandwiches, but didn't do the onion tart. I don't do onions. Period. So DH took my tart and I took his pate. For dessert, I tried a fruit tart and a chocolate eclair. YUM. DH had strawberries and cream.

The kids did the Mad Hatter's Tea. Heather, our server, was very kind in substituting sandwiches for my picky ones. DD likes only peanut butter and no jelly, but she was brave and tried the chicken salad and the other sandwich. Afterwards, she decided she'd really prefer to have just peanut butter for all 3. She had the Mad Hatter's Tea for her drink and liked it a lot.

DS didn't really like the whole thing. He ordered a Diet Coke. He asked for just plain ham, no cheese, for all 3 of his sandwiches. He just basically couldn't wait to leave. Oh, well. What can you expect of an 11 year old boy who'd really rather be in the pool?

Since the tea isn't on the dining plan, we paid OOP. It was around $80.

I think next time, DD and I will make this a girl's event. Not that DH didn't enjoy it, but I think DD enjoyed it more.

Part IV coming up...

Enjoyed reading your reviews ~ Thanx for sharing.

My sister and I did tea in 2004 and I would love to go back. It was alot of fun. I think my 6 year old would enjoy it. Thanks for the reviews!

Thanks for the reviews, Garden Grill is our first night's dinner and I'm really excited to try it! :dance3:

Thanks for the Tea review...I am dieing to try this myself. Hopefully I can talk to Dh into it sometime. :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter