Dis / Dreams Viking Sea Cruise around Italy 3/24 - 3/31/2018

We booked two pre nights in Rome as well. We'd be up for a food tour. Was that the one in Trastevere?

I'm considering doing an evening private Vatican/Sistine Chapel tour. It looks like a similar version ABD arranges. Downsides are price and they only do them certain days, but apparently they take requests.

I'm pretty sure that it was the Trastevere food tour and those who went on it raved about it....see Kristy Hertz's trip report.

Seeing the Vatican and Sistine chapel at night was not the 2014 experience so although we had ABD taking us we were there with the masses during the day...we had as I recall 30 minutes in the chapel with 1000 of our friends. As I remember John said that since this was an additional ABD trip out of their schedule, they couldn't do the night trip. John looked into the cost for the group but it would have been prohibitive.

I am going to relook at Chuck's vacation time.....we may "have" to try to come in 2 days early rather than 1 to have time to do several things.

For the evening cocktail group, the Bernini Bristol has a great rooftop bar....just saying....new members are always welcome

Chris

Yes, it was the Trastevere food tour. I still dream about some of the food we ate on that tour! It was fantastic.

We are looking at tours that give early access to the Vatican & Sistine Chapel since that was one of the things I had been looking forward to on the ABD and it ended up being crowded and rushed due to the nature of it being an extra trip for ABD to put together.

I just booked our two nights at the Bernini Bristol! Someone may be getting contacted soon about the influx of reservations for that time frame like with the Luna Baglioni. lol

Well, I just spent a frantic evening trying to figure out what our air situation will be from PHL>FCO then VEN>PHL until I realized I needed to look at flying out on Sunday rather than upon debarkation on Saturday (AA flies direct nonstop on Thursdays and Sundays but not Saturdays,when the only flights are at 6am). Whew. Looks like a post night stay in Venice for us as well. Interesting how that works out. Here's my concern, this time frame is considered spring break season domestically, will our flights be more expensive I wonder and will it be an issue flying out on Easter Sunday? Will hotels have increased rates and occupancy as well?

Well, I just spent a frantic evening trying to figure out what our air situation will be from PHL>FCO then VEN>PHL until I realized I needed to look at flying out on Sunday rather than upon debarkation on Saturday (AA flies direct nonstop on Thursdays and Sundays but not Saturdays,when the only flights are at 6am). Whew. Looks like a post night stay in Venice for us as well. Interesting how that works out. Here's my concern, this time frame is considered spring break season domestically, will our flights be more expensive I wonder and will it be an issue flying out on Easter Sunday? Will hotels have increased rates and occupancy as well?

We are in the exact same situation - we are near NYC but will be dropping the kids at my in-laws and from there we could do DC, Philly, or go back to NYC depending on options.

Was originally thinking of flying back the same day the cruise ends but looking at options out of Venice thinking we will need to stay a night there to be safe - though that means flying out Easter Sunday so that will be interesting (and likely more expensive)

We are in the exact same situation - we are near NYC but will be dropping the kids at my in-laws and from there we could do DC, Philly, or go back to NYC depending on options.

Was originally thinking of flying back the same day the cruise ends but looking at options out of Venice thinking we will need to stay a night there to be safe - though that means flying out Easter Sunday so that will be interesting (and likely more expensive)

We're in the same boat (pardon the pun). Flights leave too early for us to depart on disembarkation day. So, we need to stay at least one night, and might as well stay a 2nd night. Fingers crossed, as I haven't gotten full approval from the Boss, dw Kate. :)

I'm confused.

Because you can only book airfare a maximum of 330 days in advance, airfare for this trip will not be available for another couple of weeks.

You can currently book through March 12, 2018.

Air schedules and pricing change frequently and as we have almost a year to book airfare, I wouldn't let this get you upset.

We bought airfare recently and with 24 hours it dropped to half the price.

I'm confused.

Because you can only book airfare a maximum of 330 days in advance, airfare for this trip will not be available for another couple of weeks.

Air schedules and pricing change frequently and as we have almost a year to book airfare, I wouldn't let this get you upset.

no I know - definitely not looking at what would be for our flights, but checking like a month prior or a few months prior but those days of the week just to get an idea of the type of thing would be available. Definitely understand it could change/be different for our exact timing (but with a lot of moving parts - us, kids, in-laws, work, school, etc. - trying to get an idea of what could work/wont' work)

no I know - definitely not looking at what would be for our flights, but checking like a month prior or a few months prior but those days of the week just to get an idea of the type of thing would be available. Definitely understand it could change/be different for our exact timing (but with a lot of moving parts - us, kids, in-laws, work, school, etc. - trying to get an idea of what could work/wont' work)

Scheduling could be very different than what you are seeing for previous months.

We disembark the ship on Easter weekend. This could easily effect airline scheduling.

I thought that I was a crazed travel planner....we don't even have flights for the China trip yet, for this October, and some people are trying to book next March:scared1:

Chris

There's a contest or game idea idea somewhere in here. "Who's the craziest travel planner" Haha!

With this summer coming up, the DIS 20th, China, and Italy, etc, it's difficult finding focus. Like the circus performer spinning plates, I feel like I go from plate to plate. I'm sure my undiagnosed ADHD doesn't help matters. :D

There's a contest or game idea idea somewhere in here. "Who's the craziest travel planner" Haha!

With this summer coming up, the DIS 20th, China, and Italy, etc, it's difficult finding focus. Like the circus performer spinning plates, I feel like I go from plate to plate. I'm sure my undiagnosed ADHD doesn't help matters. :D

You are just going to have to trust me when I say that I completely understand.:crazy:

As you can see from whats been posted, the Luna Baglioni has contacted Frank to ask about the influx of bookings...so yes....there will be increased occupancy. We have already seen that.

I have not been in Venice for Easter, but I was in Florence at Christmas and it was eerily quiet Christmas Eve and Christmas Day...until approximately 1:00pm when all of Florence seemed to come out at once.

You can visit the Luna Baglioni website and see pricing. Others have stated that they have check the Westin Europa Regina as well. All have pricing and availability top for this time of year. Pricing is a bit high but Venice usually is pricey. It may be a bit higher because of the holiday.

The Luna has an option to book a reservation without placing a deposit. It's a bit higher than their prepaid non-refundable rate, but you might want to book something...just in case.

As stated above, you can not book air for this trip for another several weeks. My suggestion is to be patient and wait and see what is available.

I would also suggest once the booking window opens, that you check things like Orbitz and Kayak to see if there are other airlines offering non-stop service. Alitalia sometimes offers non-stop to Rome.

We have almost always had to make a connection coming out of Venice. Marco Polo airport is not huge.

I'm confused.

We bought airfare recently and with 24 hours it dropped to half the price.

As you can see from whats been posted, the Luna Baglioni has contacted Frank to ask about the influx of bookings...so yes....there will be increased occupancy. We have already seen that.

I have not been in Venice for Easter, but I was in Florence at Christmas and it was eerily quiet Christmas Eve and Christmas Day...until approximately 1:00pm when all of Florence seemed to come out at once.

You can visit the Luna Baglioni website and see pricing. Others have stated that they have check the Westin Europa Regina as well. All have pricing and availability top for this time of year. Pricing is a bit high but Venice usually is pricey. It may be a bit higher because of the holiday.

The Luna has an option to book a reservation without placing a deposit. It's a bit higher than their prepaid non-refundable rate, but you might want to book something...just in case.

As stated above, you can not book air for this trip for another several weeks. My suggestion is to be patient and wait and see what is available.

I would also suggest once the booking window opens, that you check things like Orbitz and Kayak to see if there are other airlines offering non-stop service. Alitalia sometimes offers non-stop to Rome.

We have almost always had to make a connection coming out of Venice. Marco Polo airport is not huge.

The flights and times are not available yet, yes, but the flights themselves are quite static from week to week and month to month for AA so unless something were to suddenly change in their flight routes/schedules (of course could happen) I am able to judge with a degree of certainty what will be offered. As I stated earlier although I am very familiar with domestic bookings, I've never myself booked an open jaw for international travel, so I need to get a feel for what flights are possible. I was very pleased to see nonstop flights are offered from my departure city for this open jaw itinerary.

The flights and times are not available yet, yes, but the flights themselves are quite static from week to week and month to month for AA so unless something were to suddenly change in their flight routes/schedules (of course could happen) I am able to judge with a degree of certainty what will be offered. As I stated earlier although I am very familiar with domestic bookings, I've never myself booked an open jaw for international travel, so I need to get a feel for what flights are possible. I was very pleased to see nonstop flights are offered from my departure city for this open jaw itinerary.

As I said in previous post, we have almost always had to make a connection out of Venice.

After a cursory glance at Orbitz for days that have nothing to do with our travel days, there are over thirty choices of departure times, most include one connection.

I thought that I was a crazed travel planner....we don't even have flights for the China trip yet, for this October, and some people are trying to book next March:scared1:

Chris

Lol. Yes, with three school-aged kids with at minimum as many after school sports and activities and an 83 yr old mom to babysit, planning can never happen soon enough. Plus we'll be missing not only Easter but also our twin daughters' 12th birthday on this trip!!!! Planning is simply a survival skill at this point!

As I said in previous post, we have almost always had to make a connection out of Venice.

After a cursory glance at Orbitz for days that have nothing to do with our travel days, there are over thirty choices of departure times, most include one connection.

Yep, I probably saw them all last night.... And they all depart at 6am. So I was happy to see if we departed hopefully a different day of the week, there will in all likelihood be a 12:30pm departure instead.

While this has nothing to do with our travel dates, here is a random flight on a Saturday on Delta:

1:25PM to 10:47PM15h 22m
VCE
JFK
4h 40m
PHL
1 STOP
Main Cabin (Y)
€1,923.28

While this has nothing to do with our travel dates, here is a random flight on a Saturday on Delta:

1:25PM to 10:47PM15h 22m
VCE
JFK
4h 40m
PHL
1 STOP
Main Cabin (Y)
€1,923.28

Thanks for this. We are checking flights out of JFK, LaGuardia, and Newark, too, since we're in driving distance. We're not married to PHL but those nonstops sure look good.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter