Dis Fixers: Help me fix our home phone!

aristocatz

DIS Veteran
Our home phones run through the cable modem. The last few days, they have not been working. We had thunder and lightening a few days ago, not sure if that is related to the issue. Internet works just fine. Phones are cordless. We also have a corded regular phone. Neither are working.

The phones will work if we plug them directly into the modem. Other than that, they do not work.

Thoughts?

Did you try disconnecting everything including the power and coax cable from the modem and phone and then plugging back in?

My long shot guess is the modem is shot and the cable provider needs to bring out a new one.

I'll try again...

1) Unplug all phones from the modem.
2) Plug your corded phone directly into the modem (don't use any house wiring). Does it work? Repeat for for each port on the modem.
3) Assuming all the ports work, plug ONE house cord into the modem and then plug the corded phone into that. Does it work? Repeat for each house cord.

You stated you have dial tone when you plug a phone directly into the modem. If this is the case, then there is nothing wrong with the modem or the service it is supplying. The problem most likely lies with your in-house phone wiring.

What exactly happens when you activate house wiring. Simply no dial tone to any phones? Fast busy signal?

You most likely have a short in one, or multiple phone wires in your home. A short in one tel. wire will cause all wires connected to the network to not work (I'm going on the assumption you have only one phone # in your home) Think of the old saying, "One bad apple spoils the bunch."

If your cable company comes to your home to repair the problem they will most likely identify which tel. wire is causing the short and disconnect it from the in-house network.

ETA: one quick way to troubleshoot would be to take a close look at the tel. wire leaving your modem. Where does it go? It most likely plugs into a phone jack in that room as a way to activate the rest of your in-house tel. wiring. Take a close look at that wire. Is it securely plugged into the wall jack? Has there been any changes recently in that room? New carpets? Furniture rearranged? Etc?

Also, it's rare, but if you have a home security system that relies on landline dial tone to notify central station the alarm panel could also be contributing to the problem. If you have an alarm that uses landline dial tone I would recommend not troubleshooting yourself because there is a very good chance that you might not put the wires back together correctly and you won't have the proper "line seizure" that the alarm requires to operate correctly.

The easiest thing to do IMHO, would be to make an appointment with cable provider to have a tech. come out and fix it.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter