Disagreeable Table Mates and Options

Kaertos

Earning My Ears
An easy question for a situation I hope never comes up...

My wife and I have enjoyed chatting with the people at our table on our first two cruises for the most part. There was a couple on our past cruise that we didn't get on with all that well and it got me to thinking...

What would we do if we got a table full of people we just couldn't handle? I've read on some (very old) threads that you can simply ask for a different table assignment. But that brings up a few questions...
- Who do I ask?
- How likely is it that we could get changed?
- I'd assume our serving staff would change (kind of a bummer usually), so how would the tips work?
- Has anyone actually done this or is this all theory?

Frankly, I don't imagine it happening, and I really hope it doesn't. But I am a worrier, and I combat that worry by gathering information. These boards have been so helpful I've never had a question that the answer wasn't easily discovered before now. Thanks for the advice in thew past and future!

An easy question for a situation I hope never comes up...

My wife and I have enjoyed chatting with the people at our table on our first two cruises for the most part. There was a couple on our past cruise that we didn't get on with all that well and it got me to thinking...

What would we do if we got a table full of people we just couldn't handle? I've read on some (very old) threads that you can simply ask for a different table assignment. But that brings up a few questions...
- Who do I ask?
- How likely is it that we could get changed?
- I'd assume our serving staff would change (kind of a bummer usually), so how would the tips work?
- Has anyone actually done this or is this all theory?

Frankly, I don't imagine it happening, and I really hope it doesn't. But I am a worrier, and I combat that worry by gathering information. These boards have been so helpful I've never had a question that the answer wasn't easily discovered before now. Thanks for the advice in thew past and future!
- Who do I ask? Your Head Server
- How likely is it that we could get changed? Very likely
- I'd assume our serving staff would change (kind of a bummer usually), so how would the tips work? DCL will split the tips for you.
- Has anyone actually done this or is this all theory? We were changed due to a large group not being seated in the same dining rotation. Not because we didn't like our tablemates.

That said, we did have one table assignment where 2 of the people never showed up, so we were moved to a different table with 2 other couples moving from late seating to early.

I'm sorry that I am not answering your questions but: know that you can always request a private table in advance. I've done this for every cruise I've done and my request was always granted (I believe it is granted most of the time).

mevelandry said: "I'm sorry that I am not answering your questions but: know that you can always request a private table in advance. I've done this for every cruise I've done and my request was always granted (I believe it is granted most of the time). "

I asked my wife about that the other night after reading about it here, but she thought (and I can't disagree with her) that the chances of meeting fun people was way higher than meeting not-fun people, so we decided against a private table, at least for this trip. But thanks for the suggestion! Also, i messed up the quote function, so I did the best I could!

mevelandry said: "I'm sorry that I am not answering your questions but: know that you can always request a private table in advance. I've done this for every cruise I've done and my request was always granted (I believe it is granted most of the time). "

I asked my wife about that the other night after reading about it here, but she thought (and I can't disagree with her) that the chances of meeting fun people was way higher than meeting not-fun people, so we decided against a private table, at least for this trip. But thanks for the suggestion! Also, i messed up the quote function, so I did the best I could!

Your wife is a very optimistic person. I like it. :flower:

You would talk to your head server. How likely it is depends on your flexibility. If you are have main seating and are willing to switch to 2nd seating, then it's close to 100% likely to happen. If you want to stick with main seating, then it may or may not happen.

Yes, your serving team would almost certainly change. From what I've read, DCL will make sure the standard gratuities get to the appropriate people. I'm sure if you request additional gratuities be added to your account for specific people, they will accommodate that. Additional gratuities in cash you would be responsible for getting to the appropriate servers.

I have read reports of people doing this and I don't think it is all that rare.

I kind of just asked this question as I have hearing issues and the thought of being with strangers at my table who I may or may not like or be able to understand is way too stressful for having spent the kind of money for DCL. I wanted to know how to request before we leave to have a private table. (you just call/chat and add to Ressie)

I really admire people who can be so open to meeting new people on board. I do think my hearing situation holds us back but if you know anyone who has hearing difficulties you know that a restaurant is NOT the place to have stress free chatting! LOL. Especially on the MAGIC in RAPUNZELS. I hate that new restaurant because it so LOUD and they are always singing. LOL. I would dread having to work hard to understand what people are saying if I can't hear them well (even with my Hearing aides it can be a challenge). Plus then I just smile and laugh without knowing what they said and it could be an inappropriate time to do that. :rolleyes1

Good on you and your wife to be so open minded. I hope you meet some nice tablemates on your next cruise!

We have met some lifelong friends on Disney cruises by being seated together so we are always optimistic and enjoy it. That being said, one time we were seated with a very interesting family consisting of mom, dad, and adult daughter. Their whole vibe was weird and our first dinner was just miserable with their constant bickering, hand gestures and eye rolls towards each other, and never ending complaints. We requested a change from our head server and it was granted. What was super awkward was that the father from the old table went out of his way to find us every night at our new table and say hi.

I always worry about this, but have always been blessed with interesting and considerate people. It is a rare person who will continue to be pushy or rude, but it can happen. Before we met, my husband was on a cruise (not DCL) where one of the older women was just awful about trying to provoke political arguments, going so far as to express some very anti-semitic beliefs. I believe she finally gave up when she found no support from her tablemates. Sometimes, refusing to engage is one's only strategy.

I always worry about this, but have always been blessed with interesting and considerate people. It is a rare person who will continue to be pushy or rude, but it can happen. Before we met, my husband was on a cruise (not DCL) where one of the older women was just awful about trying to provoke political arguments, going so far as to express some very anti-semitic beliefs. I believe she finally gave up when she found no support from her tablemates. Sometimes, refusing to engage is one's only strategy.

And that's mostly what I'm afraid of, if I'm honest. I can get along with a wide range of people who have wildly varying opinions to my own, but there's always a line and that first meal is always a tightrope walk to see if anyone at the table crosses that line.

The only couple (we are childless, so we've always been at tables with two other couples) we had issues with spent the majority of their time talking about how often they cruised, how much they spent, and how well they knew the menus. It got old after a while. They bailed on the last meal of the cruise, something about "just not liking the food that night". We were relieved. lol

My dh and I did our honeymoon cruise on the Magic back in 2001. We didn't know they put you at a table with other people. We were put with an elderly lady(she was the same age as our grandparents) who was cruising alone. She was very nice and we always had a lovely time chatting with her at dinner. It was a little odd though to be on your honeymoon and feeling like your grandma is with you. Lol

Last edited:
We have always had great table mates (except our last cruise where we asked for a private table- but we were great table mates, to each other! 😉). However, one cruise we had a family....wife, husband, daughter, daughter’s boyfriend and son. They were very nice but the daughter and boyfriend kept rubbing each other’s ear lobes and kissing each other and the son literally looked like he had just murdered someone. Never said a single word. Odd but interesting. We thought the parents might be uncomfortable with the extremely demonstrative affection of their daughter but nope!

We've had two not-so-good dining experiences (2 different cruises). One was the head waiter, the other was the tablemates. One thing I know now is to SPEAK UP! We didn't say anything and I actually dreaded going to dinner. I know better now. Hopefully it doesn't happen but I like that you are preparing in advance!

Most of our tablemates have been the best company for dinner. Very interesting experiences from all over the country. But you can always ask to be moved if the situation is less than magical.

For our honeymoon cruise 11 years ago my wife and I did back to back cruise, the first week we met a couple from halfway across the country, the second week we met a couple that lived with-in 100 miles of us. Neither set of table mates were bad but the first week couple and us have been on a couple cruises, they are the god parents of my first born son and we see them 2-3 times a year. The second week couple we never even exchanged info. Take a chance you just might meet lifelong friends.

I'm sorry that I am not answering your questions but: know that you can always request a private table in advance. I've done this for every cruise I've done and my request was always granted (I believe it is granted most of the time).

they must not like us. I’ve requested a private table at Least 10 times and only granted it ONCE. Our recent cruise we were celebrating our 30th anniversary and still had tablemates. One couple never came and the other couple spoke French and we didn’t. The gentleman spoke English so had to translate to his partner. We had a lot of awkward silence. Most of our tablemates have been pretty good.

The trick is to meet great tablemates, then plan your future cruises with them and link your reservations so you are seated with them again! ;) That's what we're doing, and have done on the last couple of cruises (different sets of people we met previously).

As for the previous poster with hearing difficulties-- I get it-- my husband has significant hearing loss, and even with hearing aids, the MDRs can be quite difficult, sorting out conversations and background noise. (again, though, we were quite lucky to be paired with a couple on our last cruise that we got along with well, so we'll sit with them next cruise!) It certainly does help to not be at a very large table. We've had large groups and smaller groups, and my husband gets much more out of the conversation if we're only with 1 or 2 other couples).

my husband and i are cruising alone for the first time next year.
I'm debating about asking for a private table...
up to now, we've always asked for a private table for the family (and always gotten it)..
so i don't have any experience at being matched up...

We have really good, good and meh-type experiences. Nothing ever horrendous, thankfully. I do enjoy meeting new people, hearing about their adventures for the day. We never feel we have to constantly chat or keep up the conversation. We also stick to vacation experiences, family type stuff and never veer into the political or religious areas. All good. But if someone was to make me feel uncomfortable, I would speak up. We have also been given our own table (we did not request) and requested our own table. Half the time we ended up chatting with the table next to us as they are very close.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter