Disagreeable Table Mates and Options

On our recent cruise on the Dream in August, it was just my wife and I. We gambled and decided to see what we'd get as far as table-mates. Ended up at an 8-top with 3 other couples. I'll admit, having 4 couples made conversation a bit hard because you didn't want to exclude anyone, but try talking to a person on the other end of the table!!!

Admittedly, I think everyone was surprised the first night, and things were a little awkward. Second night got better, and by the third night, everyone was talking like old friends.

Not a fan of the rotation restaurants, we always eat at Cabanas table service the middle night/s of our cruise. You will always have a table to yourselves there. We enjoy meeting new folks on the cruise but not necessarily during dinner where small talk, waiting for others, etc. is expected.

We usually have a private table, but often strike up conversations with the private table 4 inches away. It's perfect because you can easily maintain friendly conversations if you mesh, but that 4 inches gives you the freedom to completely ignore them if you (or they) so choose.

Simple solution to everyone when talking to people you don’t know. Don’t talk politics or religion, if someone starts my response is I’m not interested and change the subject to something fun.

Also, if they insist on talking on one of the above... take the polar opposite stance, regardless if you believe in it or not. Amuse yourself.

We've had some eh tablemates, some we've kept up sporadic e-mails with over the years, some we've cruised with again, and one couple we've not only cruised with twice since but also have visited them and travelled with them to Hawaii, California and Italy. We've never had any we felt so bad about we had to ask to be moved but I've always kept in mind that it's an option if necessary. Given some of our really great experiences, I'm definitely open to sharing in the future and I'm not even an extrovert. For me, it's one of the most enjoyable parts of cruising.

Plus then I just smile and laugh without knowing what they said and it could be an inappropriate time to do that. :rolleyes1

Just tell them about your hearing. I promise it’s ok. I did that for years. Finally got hearing aids, and things are better but not perfect. As my audiologist said, aids help your hearing, but you’ll never get your natural hearing back.

Just tell people.

Always someone who has done more cruises, knows everything and has to let everyone know it! It definitely gets old!

I like learning from those people!

Given some of our really great experiences, I'm definitely open to sharing in the future and I'm not even an extrovert. For me, it's one of the most enjoyable parts of cruising.

Same. Only bad experience was our first cruise which was our honeymoon. 8-top and 4 never showed up. The other 2 were so incredibly obvious a married businessman and his secretary/affair partner that it was painful. Plus my then-husband speaks mandarin which was what they were speaking until he answered them in it, and so he had a bit of an advantage.

Other than that it’s been great experiences. And no table mates have mysteriously disappeared from our table, so I don’t think we’ve been the bad tablemates lol.

they must not like us. I’ve requested a private table at Least 10 times and only granted it ONCE. Our recent cruise we were celebrating our 30th anniversary and still had tablemates. One couple never came and the other couple spoke French and we didn’t. The gentleman spoke English so had to translate to his partner. We had a lot of awkward silence. Most of our tablemates have been pretty good.

Ah there must have been lots of pauses (I’m French Canadian so I can imagine).

On our last cruise, we had to share the table with other guests including a woman and her son who wouldn’t acknowledge any of us. DH and I spoke french (between us) on purpose all breakfast... LOL

Ah there must have been lots of pauses (I’m French Canadian so I can imagine).

On our last cruise, we had to share the table with other guests including a woman and her son who wouldn’t acknowledge any of us. DH and I spoke french (between us) on purpose all breakfast... LOL

the couple was lovely and there was a lot of smiling and gestures. We ran into them constantly.

We have always had a table to ourselves (We're a family of 4). But we have reached out to adjoining tables and conversed with them. We have seen thru the years other tables being rude and even tables go unoccupied after the 1st night due to numerous reasons. And we have had great times with our adjoining tables. So you never know.

My question has always been with the rotational dining that one night the adjoining table won't be anywhere near you the next night. So every night the adjoining table could be a new experience. I wonder how the tables are numbered throughout the dinning rooms. Is there a seating chart/table number map anywhere?

Not a fan of the rotation restaurants, we always eat at Cabanas table service the middle night/s of our cruise. You will always have a table to yourselves there. We enjoy meeting new folks on the cruise but not necessarily during dinner where small talk, waiting for others, etc. is expected.

None of that is "expected". I have been on 9 Disney cruises and most of the ones that I went on with my kids, we just talked among ourselves. We would say "hi" and occasionally talk about the day for a bit if they other group was interested. My solo trips, I usually just take my NOOK and read at dinner. The food in the MDR is a big part of our cruise and I am not going to let a few table mates dictate where I am going to eat. I am there to eat, not socialize. And we have never waited on others to order our food. If one family was late, the servers don't make you sit there and wait, they take your order and bring your food. One of our cruises, our table mates where always a 1/2 hour late. There is no way that we were going to wait for them.

We have always had a table to ourselves (We're a family of 4). But we have reached out to adjoining tables and conversed with them. We have seen thru the years other tables being rude and even tables go unoccupied after the 1st night due to numerous reasons. And we have had great times with our adjoining tables. So you never know.

My question has always been with the rotational dining that one night the adjoining table won't be anywhere near you the next night. So every night the adjoining table could be a new experience. I wonder how the tables are numbered throughout the dinning rooms. Is there a seating chart/table number map anywhere?
While there are basic configurations as to table sizes and the numbers assigned to them, they can vary from cruise to cruise. So, while you will have the same number table in each dining room it may be in a different place within each dining room (window in one, interior rim in another, cubby in the third, for example). Or not.

Is there a seating chart/table number map anywhere?

It changes constantly. On our last cruise, we knew our table number and had just gone to one of the MDRs to eat lunch, and saw our table number. When we went down for dinner, it was in a completely different location. I'd love to see how they figure it out for every cruise. It's an interesting optimization and logistical problem.

I had an unpleasant experience on my second Disney Cruise with my table mates so I hung around after dinner until they all left and then asked the Head Server if I could have my own table. He was very accommodating and since that experience I have always requested my own table whenever I cruise.

I had an unpleasant experience on my second Disney Cruise with my table mates so I hung around after dinner until they all left and then asked the Head Server if I could have my own table. He was very accommodating and since that experience I have always requested my own table whenever I cruise.
Did you have to explain what the experience was to the head server?

All I told the head server was that "I don't think it was going to work out with my tablemates and if possible could I get my own table." He didn't even skip a beat and said sure no problem.
Oh that's good. So you didn't have to defend why it wouldn't work out. I don't think I'd want to go into why things didn't gel, if it was me.

Oh that's good. So you didn't have to defend why it wouldn't work out. I don't think I'd want to go into why things didn't gel, if it was me.

I had an icky situation a few years ago on the Fantasy - they dumped all the solos together. The 2 guys seemed to hit it off famously - tons of stuff in common, and totally NOT in my world (they were all about real estate and finances and stuff I don't understand) - while I just sat there quietly. I literally had zero entry points to their conversation and they made zero effort to change the topic to something more inclusive. My second night was at Palo. I had thought I'd just do Cabanas the rest of the nights and get a reservation for Palo the final night, but the menu in Cabanas was seriously made up of all the things I don't like on the main menu (and nothing on the menu wording about a carving station people on here have claimed they do). So I went to my assigned dining room during first seating (I had second) and spoke with the dining room manager and just said "It's not a good fit with my table. Is there any possibility I can be moved to a private one?" She checked and said for me to check with them at the beginning of Main Dining but she felt sure they would be able to. I was able to keep the new servers and table the whole time - and I had the same head waiter who was super chill and said "Don't even worry about it. We all knew that was coming because the first night was so awkward for you" when I asked him to please let my previous service team know it was NOT them.

Wow these storys are wild! LOL. We always had our own table...party of 6. I mean we had tables next to us, but never had to share a table.

I have been on 8 cruises and only one time had a private table when I took my three sons. All of my other cruises have been with just a friend or just my youngest teenage son. On all 7 cruises, we have really lucked out and had great experiences with our table mates. All were 6 or 8 tops and we liked everyone. I have been very fortunate so far. I am taking my first solo cruise soon and am hoping the streak continues, but am a little nervous!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter