Disappointed Disney fan

To me, an E-mail is not an appropriate customer oriented way to handle this. I would have expected a phone call to advise they were moving me, and then if I did not like their choice of a move would have expected them to work with me to find a better place.
Email is better. It provides the customer with a paper trail and something to reference. A phone call can result in, "She said..." , "Well, but no, he said..." and the customer having to remember all that was said.
So my question is-is it really an upgrade? What are peoples opinions on this?
stunning upgrade! Congratulations! And if you want to swim or just relax by the pool, Beach Club and Yacht Club share the equivalent of a mini-water park.

Congrats OP! I'm glad you called and were able to resolve the issue! Beach Club is most definitely an upgrade from SSR!

Thanks for all the replies

Here’s an update for those interested

I called this evening and spoke to a lovely lady, explained it was our honeymoon and wanted somewhere that neither of us had stayed before, so said no problem and her first offer was Beach Club Resort which is not one the list of already visited so I expected right away and she didn’t offer anything else. She did make a huge thing about it being our honeymoon and said she was going to make sure that it was clearly noted on the booking and that it was well known (not quite sure I get what she means but will go with it!!) and she was also helpful enough to link the magical Express to the package and that I would be using a mobility scooters (1less thing to worry about!!)

She also said that it was a free of charge upgrade,

So glad to hear they took care of you! BC is a great resort. Definitely an upgrade. You can walk (or scooter) to both EPCOT and DHS from there. (DHS is a farther walk). It has the best pool area on property.

Seriously, all the responses to "nicely" and "calmly" "explain" that it's your honeymoon....Really??!! .... I would be peeved! Disney seems to getting away with too much of this stuff lately! :mad: I would call and be stern! You made a reservation for SSR and that's what you expect. I could see if they "offered" you an alternative, that would be different! But to just send an email!!??? :mad: The least they should do is call!!! It's not like the airlines and a simple flight change of an hour! This is the entire resort stay! Ugh!!!:mad:

Why on earth would you WANT to start out being angry with the poor person who just happens to randomly pick up their call from the queue??? That person had nothing to do with the OP having to be moved to a different resort. It sounds like they are spreading around guests who had to be moved to various deluxe resorts depending on availability at each resort. The whole process will a) probably go much faster and smoother and b) not result in anyone's blood pressure going off the charts if they calmly and politely explain the situation to the CM who takes their call and if they politely ask if there might be another resort they could be moved to instead.

This stuff always boggles my mind. I completely understand being disappointed and unhappy about having to be moved from a resort that you were really looking forward to (especially for something as important and special as a honeymoon) but approaching the situation with all guns firing only makes the situation worse.

It's not like people at WDW are sitting around randomly moving people from requested resorts for no reason. They move people because either there is now not enough room due to inventory issues or construction. If the OP goes in demanding to stay at SSR they could end up in he middle of construction that would seriously decrease their enjoyment of the resort. It is possible that if enough people are being moved they might be able to request remaining at SSR if they can be put someplace that is not being directly affected by the construction.

Yay!! You will LOVE BC. We stayed at SSR once and, while it was nice and we enjoyed our stay, it just felt a bit "blah" to us. We have chosen not to return to SSR because they are so many resorts we prefer. We have stayed at BC twice in the past six months and we absolutely LOVED it, it is one of our absolute favorites! We spend a LOT of time at Epcot so it is so convenient to be able to just walk there. We have had a room with a view of Epcot and could watch the fireworks from Illuminations every night (and listen to the music loud and clear from the balcony) and then had an ENORMOUS balcony that overlooked a garden area. Both were wonderful rooms and great views. It's great because you can also walk around the Boardwalk and walk to HS (we also like being able to walk through Epcot and take the monorail over to MK, it's a our favorite way to get to MK from BC. We got up early and walked around the Boardwalk every morning and it was so nice and peaceful. We got breakfast at Boardwalk Bakery before we left for our flight.

Have a GREAT trip and congrats to you both!!

I'm delighted you now have a resort you're happy with.

Congrats on your future wedding and have a great honeymoon.

I'm glad things worked out for the OP. Honestly, this was almost a 9-month notice of a hotel change and gave plenty of time for something to be worked out for her honeymoon. I've been upgraded, downgraded, moved to a different resort, all these things do happen and I can't see the need to get all worked up and be demanding as some posters have suggested. If you give them a chance, they will more than likely be very accommodating. I got a voicemail three days before my trip that they were switching my hotel (CSR) due to overbooking. I called them and was told that they were moving me to GF, but would check other hotels if needed. I've also never made a room request in over 30 trips, and have never been disappointed.

Last edited:
In this age? Where people carry phones 24/7 but refuse to make phone calls? There's a paper trail with e-mail that simply. does. not. exist. with phone calls.

Why would you escalate immediately? Not that the CM will comply, but the OP is not the only party having this experience. Why do you think the feedback has not already gotten to the appropriate persons?

I would expect the company would inform you (via email, that paper trail issue and all) and cancel your order.

How is this situation different? When you call the airline, are you "stern" with the reservationist who did not have anything whatsoever to do with the change but who has been fending calls about it? In fact, when the airlines change schedules, the passenger has two or three options, depending how big the change is:
  • Accept the change;
  • Work with (call) the airline to try to make a more satisfactory change;
  • If the schedule change is long enough, cancel and get refund (even nonrefundable)
In fact, all an airline reservation offers is transportation between two specific airports on the reserved dates.

First, re-read _auroraborealis_'s post (#22) explaining hotel reservations.

Second, this action is so common in the hospitality industry that there's a term for it: "walking the guest." It predates Walt Disney World. In fact, most hotels don't inform the guest until the guest checks in.

Yes "walking the guest" does and has happened for years. Matter of fact dh and I arrived at the Hyatt Maui on our honeymoon on our way back from Australia only to find out that the property was oversold because of a convention. The difference though is how things were handled back then vs now. We ended up being moved to the Sheraton for 2 nights all expenses paid, then back to the Hyatt in a suite for the next 4, and the only room cost we had at all was our initial deposit. We were already loyal Hyatt fans, and as a result remained loyal ever since.

I am so happy for you! - That is a wonderful upgrade - perfect for a Honeymoon trip, IMHO! The whole lake area around BC/YC/BW is so lovely - so many places to wander, eat and enjoy in the mornings or evenings. With a scooter, you can now just take the short walkway to the International Gateway entrance for Epcot (quick, easy in/out access to all the Epcot restaurants!). Also great restaurants at the 3 resorts - without even having to take any transportation. And you boat to Studios - so you only have to bus to 2 parks instead of all 4. I hope you love BC as much as we do! PS: the Mandera Spa at the Dolphin is right across the bridge on the walkway - one of my favorite spas anywhere if you have the time and budget to indulge. Enjoy!!

I've never stayed in SSR so I have no personal experience of it but BC is one of our favourites for the location, theming, pool and spacious rooms. It's a very lovely resort.

Yay I knew Disney would come thru! BC is lovely with very easy access to Epcot which is perfect for Food and Wine! Nice restaurants in that area and the pool is fantastic! Sound like you are going to receive more pixie dust on arrival as well! COngrats

Beach Club is a great resort. Perfectly situated and a spectacular pool area. Enjoy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter