Disappointing News - Primeval Whirl

So Jeff, now I purport my humor to be misinterpreted? I thought others did that for me.
No, it's pretty much just you:
sorry for my overeaction & poor attempt at humor.
PS This is the famous "tounge in cheek" humor, btw...
I, more than almost anybody here, am very easy going, light-hearted & full of humor (oft misunderstood).
I can't help it if my humor goes awry now and then
The Pirate sometimes gets into the act, too:
I made that comment totally off the cuff & meant no disrespect to you 3's & 4's...My humor is oft-misunderstood!
..but that's not really important right now.
I know you don't like me
Sigh. I know nothing about you and have no opinion on you one way or the other. I see what you post, and those posts are the only aspects of your being upon which I've offered an opinion.

Is there any chance at all that you'd be interested in commenting on the things written in my posts, or will you be continuing to speculate upon the likes and cares of people about whom you know nothing?

Jeff

Mr. Show, when the Captain wrote that Walt loves Dino-Rama I did notice that the lights all over Southern California suddenly got brighter.

Walt loves Dino-Rama?

If Walt would have loved something like Dino-Rama, wouldn't he have created something like Dino-Rama? Instead he created whimsical rides with lots of theming that the WHOLE family could enjoy, not just those of certain heights. And he never created a crass, poorly themed area like Dino-Rama. Even Dumbo has more theming in its floppy ears than all of Dino-Rama.

Lesley, I'll be happy to help you with that committee. :)

Nice list Jeff...You got me, boy do I feel sheepish...Man, I'd better find a rock to crawl under...:rolleyes:

No, I think I'll not reply to your opinions with anymore attempt than you try to reply to mine.

Planogirl, Walt put up a simple merry-go-round and had no problem with it, what was innovative about that? A lot of his early rides were repetitive ride systems & hokey (very hokey) storylines - Jungle Cruise...I'm not trying to dismiss Walt, I like what he did, but I think it inconceivable to not see the beauty of the beast in the case of DR. It's a tacky roadside attraction...Done Disney style. The Spinner IS themed as well as Dumbo, PW is brightly colored, about as tacky as can be & actually looks like fun (I suppose that doesn't count?). I don't care that it wasn't the original plan...Hey, plans change. What matters is that they were able to recreate a part of Americana that isn't so prevelent anymore and better yet do it Disney style (no barkers, it's clean, bright and has an air of excitement).

If you gus can simply dismiss things without experieincing it first, fine. If you don't like the theme, that too is your opinion...But I think it's inaccurate to state that there is 'no theming' or that it 'stinks' when there are plenty of folks who will think this is fun...Maybe a lot of fun.

As to what Diseny is doing. Well, this is really where most of you come from. You have no faith that something better will (ever) come due to the fact that you have no appreciation for what has been done recently. I on the other hand love Test Track am looking frward to Space & love Animal Kingdom the way it is. When I see DR, I have to say it makes me smile...It is so silly & hideous that it somehow compelling.

While I actually agree that Walt wouldn't have dreamed something like this and I don't believe in this day and age he'd have greenlighted such a project, but I honestly do believe he'd like the intended result, all things being equal...

Voice, I did receive a nice email from an unamed admirer in Burbank...
:smooth: :smooth: :bounce: :smooth: :smooth:

Walt put up a simple merry-go-round and had no problem with it, what was innovative about that?
...are you aware of the history of that carousel and its restoration? Please, God, Captain, Pirate, or someone help me understand how that complete restoration of a piece of Americana from the last century is in any way equivalent to writing Reverchon a check?
The Spinner IS themed as well as Dumbo
Yes, I agree... Triceratops Spin is just as high quality as the cheap stop-gap a broke Disney installed thirty years ago. I just don't see that as anything to do cartwheels about.

Jeff

PS:
Nice list Jeff...You got me, boy do I feel sheepish...Man, I'd better find a rock to crawl under...
I apologize if I made you feel bad by proving you were wrong when you implied that I was lying about things you said.

My daughter is a wdw cm and had a chance the other night to ride PW at a cast preview. She is a pretty good judge of things and gave PW a fairly good report. They had joked before they rode that the name was really Primevial Hurl. So give this new attraction a ride and then see what you think.

I can't believe I'm being sucked into this. I really have no business being here, especially because I only have time to write a few quick lines, then I'm off to work where I won't be able to defend myself for many hours. (Not to mention the fact that I'm terrified of not using the exact precise words I intend to make myself understood.)

I have loved Disney my entire life. As a child in the 70's my Great-Grandmother lived a few miles outside Orlando, and Magic Kingdom was always included in our annual trips to see her. My Grandmother and I went to EPCOT together right after it opened, on our last trip before Great-Grandmother passed away. That was a bit taboo, because I was missing school, but my mother felt it was more important for me to spend time with GGM and GM. More importantly, however, was that GM was thrilled because not only was I spending quality time with great women who have influenced my life tremendously, I actually learned more in that day at EPCOT than I would have at school. (Yes, I am, unfortunately, a product of the SC public school system, but that really has little to do with my point.)

As the years went by and I earned my own money and could take myself to WDW, I went every chance I could. (Hmmm...car payment, or 3 day hopper..... - Yes, Jeff is gently fixing that problem, wonderful man, you...) My Mother, who had not been to WDW since the 70's was itching to get back. Summer is just too busy with her job, and she and my step-father (who had never been to any Disney park, and assumed it was just like Six Flags with a mouse) saw no reason to take my 11 year old brother out of school for a vacation. My argument was, go, he will learn so much. Yes, MK and MGM are there to have fun. But EPCOT and AK are there to have fun in an educational, informative manner. You can't get that at Six Flags (unless you count the lesson you learn about loosing all your money trying to get a basketball into a too small hoop). I particularly talked up the AK. "There's a great dinosaur exhibit, and you can see cast members cleaning pieces from actual digs, a great see and learn area where you can see animals that they are nursing back to health, or babies, and all throughout the park are cast members eager to tell you about the animals of their countries. "

I finally convinced them to go for a long weekend over a school break this past October. Granted, 4 days is not long enough and can be quite overwhelming, but Jeff and I gave them all our best tips, poured over maps with them, and helped them with an itin. that would let them see most of what they really wanted to, and hoped that this would put a desire in them to return later for a longer trip. (I also, secretly, wanted my mother to know that I had not been wasting my money all these years! Yes, quality costs a little more.) I DID NOT let any of my negative feelings toward the downward spiral of customer service be known. ( I remain, a member of car # 2/3, disapointed, but ever hopeful that someone will replace those money hungry ******** that are... I'm getting too worked up.) I truly wanted them to have the time of their lives. I was so anxious to hear from them. I wanted to see if fresh attitudes, that probably wouldn't realize that what was once expected of WDW could no longer be expected. I NEEDED them to have a great time.

They got back, with great stories, as with all good vacations, but when I asked when they were going back, my Mother replied "We enjoyed ourselves, and I think I see some of what attracts you to WDW, but I really don't see the need to take Evan out of school to go again, especially to spend that kind of money on it. I think Six Flags for the day will give us the same enjoyment." I was crushed. Until I opened my eyes a little wider and saw where she was coming from.

So much for a few quick lines. I guess what I took way too long to say, and if you're still reading, more power to you, is that I'm upset that the easy/cheap way out is being taken in EVERY direction as far as the parks go. I do not have children yet, however, I work with them every day, and have for most of my working career, and although they do not share my bloodlines, it doesn't mean that I love or care for them any less. Give me a reason to take them to a roadside carnival at those prices. Okay, maybe the cast members will have more teeth than the workers at the usual fairs, although I'm sure it has nothing to do with a better dental plan. (Sorry, not interested in being politically correct anymore) Tell me why it's okay to spend 4 Billion (golly that's a lot!) dollars on a tv station full of bad shows, most of which I wouldn't let my family watch, but you can't spend enough to restore CoP, or put a few more cast members back in AK to offer more information on what I'm seeing. Not a zoo my rear - you know what?! IT SHOULDN'T BE!!! IT'S DISNEY!!! Didn't that used to mean something? There should be NOTHING like it. Someone mentioned Imagineers that worked on Dino-Rama. I'm sorry, but I feel that you must have an imagination to be an Imagineer - silly me for thinking that's what the name implies. And I know I'm speaking of which I know very little, and someone will tell me that yes, the imagineers really thought of something better, but the ideas were scrapped in favor of the more cost effective, blah, blah, blah.

Has anyone seen the commercial advertising the 100 year hoopla, in which the little boy decides to do his school project on Walt Disney, the great visionary? As he and his father are enjoying the park together, you see them only on MK rides, and at the end they decide to "see Walt's vision" on Space Mountain - again? Funny, how you don't see them playing carnival games.....

I don't visit these boards often, usually just to see what my husband's been up to, so if I'm beating a dead horse, please forgive me. I don't feel like reading all the other threads to see if I'm saying anything new, in all honesty, they only depress me, and make me confrontational, a feeling I am not comfortable with. But it seems these always come back around to "What would Walt have done?" I thought it was to give the people something they couldn't find anywhere else. Yes, he put in a carousel, but he put in not just any carousel, but one that had an INCREDIBLE history, and put cast members there that loved to tell you all about it so you left the ride feeling more connected to it. I see nothing "visionary" about Dino-Rama. Yes, you can go, as I'm sure I will, and yes, I will even have a lot of fun and make happy memories there because that's what I do, but doesn't anyone understand that it doesn't belong there? How is this one going to stand out in my mind over any other carnival that I've been to? What makes it different? I'm really asking.

I'll quit now because I'm about to cry, and I've spent way too long on this. I know the lists that will follow, and perhaps I'll check back later to see if anyone has anything that will make me change my mind. Perhaps.

Okay - attack!
Suzy

It seems we've reverted to the ole' "I don't like DinoRama" rather than the more germane, IMHO, "Does DinoRama hold enough magic for segments I'm not in."
...it seems to me that quite a few people are answering your question with the response "yes, because some people have fun there." It's not my intention to erase fun in our lifetimes, but "some people have fun there" just seems like a terribly low target for Disney. "Some people have fun there" can be said for Six Flags, for parking lot carnivals (even ones located in real parking lots), for Chuck E. Cheese's, and even for the 25 cent mechanical horsies outside of supermarkets.

The complaints against DinoRama have never been "No one in the world can possibly have fun there," they have been "DinoRama is not representative of the Disney tradition of high quality and Magic."

If DinoRama exhibits Disney Magic based on the fact that "some people have fun there," then Disney Magic is present everywhere in the world, sold by millions of companies that are not Disney.

Is that really what people are trying to say?

Jeff

...that Suzy sure can toss together an epic length post. Can't imagine where she gets _that_ from...

Jeff

I should have known you were lurking around somewhere, just waiting to say exactly what I meant in many fewer words!

I think that's why I married you!
Suzy

Thanks, Scoop. It was actually that long sword I was most worried about when deciding whether or not to click "submit"!
Suzy

Suzy...glad you posted! I pretty much agree with what you've said. Its also cool to see more women around here....though we're all too busy with life to be as active here as the men ;) You and Jeff sure seem to make a great team!

Anyway, my family is pretty much what seems to be the target audience (besides the spreadsheet, that is) for DR....mom, dad, 7yo and 2yo. We've been on the spinner. We refuse to even approach the games...what was it Walt said about "sharp practices?" Wasn't this what he was talking about? And then there's the coaster/wild mouse whatever.... if there's no line for it we might ride it in December. If there's a line we definitely will not be since the whole area is just so darned annoying.....before we even got on the spinner we were going "ugh, lets get away from this place". They took out some really cool stuff in Dinoland to put this in....I really can't believe that...I even tried to convince dh that his beloved lab was not gone...but it was. Dinoland was what it needed to be and they ruined it with this.

As far as Toontown....they created a whole separate area for this. It wasn't thrown smack in the middle of Fantasyland. They didn't take out elements necessary to the show of the previous area to do it. I could take or leave Toontown, but I don't see where its a fair comparison to DR. If anything Toontown is more similar to the Camp Minnie Mickey area at AK...except they have shows instead of playgrounds and a kiddie coaster. DR is...well...not anything I can compare to anything Disney.

I'm not sure whether to laugh or blush! Welcome to our fair state, although, ugh! Columbia!! Have fun!?
Suzy

What's wrong with Columbia? We've been planning to move there eventually...or near there anyway...sorry, very OT

Part Thirty-Seven wherein the History of ‘Dumbo’ is Explained and where the Captain is shown to be so very very wrong.

When Walt was creating Disneyland he wanted to give his guests the chance to fly with Dumbo. In keeping with his “movies come to life” philosophy he thought that was the experience most people would want to have with the characters from the film. The original plan was to hang a Dumbo ride vehicle from wires and have it soar in a twisting course over all of Fantasyland.

This was 1954 when car had fins, television was black-and-white, and a computer was a person who worked an adding machine all day. There was no way to engineer a ride system that could safely transport the weight of the vehicle and the guests. After much searching, they settled (yes, settled) for a “spinner”. Even then the entire ride was custom built. No one had ever “themed” one of those things before – and Disney wanted to give the special ability for the guests to control the ride itself. A hugely novel concept for the time (and one of the reasons the ride is still popular). Sure ‘Dumbo’ in 1955 was a “spinner”, but that was just a ride mechanism (unlike any other in existence) but not the point of the ride.

Half a century later, that same company can not bring itself to do more than slap plywood cutouts around store-bought carnival amusements. There is no theme to the place (the brightly colored stuff is decoration), no concept beyond spending as little money as possible. And the best, the absolute best, defense that can be given is “that some people may think it’s fun”. The point of Dino-Rama is to spend as little money as possible to put another "attraction" on the guide map.

As Ms. Jewell pointed out in her great post, Disney did not build its reputation by providing momentary amusement for a few. A LOT of people are in that business. For Disney to remain successful they must do much more than what “the other guys” are doing, Disney must remain unique and Disney must remain imaginative. Dino-Rama fulfills none of those requirements.

One does not have to visit the place to understand where it fails. Just as I don’t have to produce the completed movie to judge if a script lacks a good plot. Part of the job of any piece of entertainment is to look appealing and to convince an audience to see it. It’s not a clump of broccoli and Disney isn’t my mother saying “how do you know you don’t like it unless you try it?”.

Originally posted by Captain Crook
If you hate DR because of its simplicity then lets hear some negatisim voiced Walts way (or at least Roys) for the Carousel & Dumbo...

Look. Statements like this are really starting to bug me. I do not know what I've done to deserve this. Not only do you talk about hating me, but you call me simple, and you even refer to me as an "it."

I'm not sure what I've done to deserve this. Sure, I've argued with a couple of people on here from time to time, but I try to be civil and I hate being rude.

Maybe I'm just being to sensitive.

DR

LOL d-r, talk about simple, it actually took me two reads to figure it out!:D

Voice, nice explanation on Dumbo...So we accept the simplistic Dumbo because it was the first themed spinner...OK, fair enough. Then why not accept Pop Century for its "creativity"? Where else are there 50 foot Yoyo's or Bowling Pins? It's unique unto itself - heck you can even say they went out on a limb here. It seems to me that what you attribute to what Walt did with Dumbo is what current Disney has done to a Resort...I understand that you don't like it but does what they've done differ from your criteria?:earseek:
:smooth: :smooth: :bounce: :smooth: :smooth:

Too funny, guys! Oh, d-r you must know that you, the person and rumors board poster, are much loved by all. We have unfortunately stollen your name to shorten the term DinoRama...something so hideous that it hurts to write the whole thing out. Perhaps to spare your feelings we can use DiRa for that horrible carnival that landed in Dinoland making the lab disappear. :D

To answer the Captain....to compare Dumbo to PC is not entirely accurate. Spinners weren't done before Dumbo. Value motels with large decorations were done before PC...the decorations were just different. PC is more akin to the Dino spinner than it is to Dumbo.

And don't accuse me of being an Eisner hater....most of these opinions were formed well before I ever gave a flying fig who Eisner was....and really, its way too simplistic to toss all of this in the lap of one person. Eisner, schmeisner....actually I don't care at all about who runs the company. What I care about is what's happening to the parks.

Oh, pretty accurate description of the "thing that ate Dinoland" scoop!

Ooops, that's "stolen" not "stollen"...geesh, now I'm turning you into a pastry! For some reason I can't edit the original.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter