Disboards & iPhone!

cyberbox2

DIS Veteran
O.K. so how many of us has found that with our newly acquired supper gadget (iPhone) no matter how far away we are from our computers, we are never far from the Disboards?

I sometimes find myself in my car at a stoplight replying to a post, while listening to the latest Podcast at the same time. Or sitting anywhere I have to wait for something and just browse away!

Man technology is dangerous :scared1:

I constantly find myself browsing the dis from my iphone. But since I am a lurker I don't post much :)

I constantly find myself browsing the dis from my iphone. But since I am a lurker I don't post much :)

HUH?! You can browse the internet with an iphone?! The Dis on the road?!

WOW I need to get on an iphone!! :lovestruc I want to go mobile with the Dis!!

I gotta tell you....

The thing is amazing. Loving mine in a BIG way.

Kevin

HUH?! You can browse the internet with an iphone?! The Dis on the road?!

WOW I need to get on an iphone!! :lovestruc I want to go mobile with the Dis!!

I want an iPhone more than anything, and would have had one the day they came out if I didn't have to switch carriers to get one. :( I had such bad luck with AT&T in my area a few years ago, I don't think I could ever go back to them. Besides, no one can come close to the rates and data plan I currently have with Sprint. I still get to browse the DIS wirelessly from a Treo though, so things aren't TOO bad. :)

I don't know what the big deal is about the iphone, I have been able to all internet browsing for years with my Palm Treo. Plus, I can install all kinds of 3rd party programs too.

The iphone is nice but way over priced and locks out all the great tings you can do with a PDA.

I want an iPhone more than anything, and would have had one the day they came out if I didn't have to switch carriers to get one. :( I had such bad luck with AT&T in my area a few years ago, I don't think I could ever go back to them. Besides, no one can come close to the rates and data plan I currently have with Sprint. I still get to browse the DIS wirelessly from a Treo though, so things aren't TOO bad. :)

Oh I have Sprint!! So I need a Treo then? :worship:

I love my Ipod though, can you get an iphone and not use it as a phone? That sounded like a dumb question! :confused3

Oh I have Sprint!! So I need a Treo then? :worship:

I love my Ipod though, can you get an iphone and not use it as a phone? That sounded like a dumb question! :confused3

The Treo's are actually great phone\PDA combo's, and sprint has a fantastic data network. It's EVDO, so it's fast as well. (You can get either Palm OS or Windows mobile versions).

As far as getting an iPhone and not using it as a phone? Probably, BUT, you may want to take a look at the iPod Touch if your thinking of that. It looks just like an iPhone, has all the same stuff as far as calendar, contacts etc., and even has built in wifi. I've been thinking of picking one up myself to replace my aging 60GB full size video unit.

I had Sprint myself before getting the iPhone in late November. I never had a problem with them for the 4 years I was with them. I had also heard stories about how bad AT&T is. Needless to say, I took my chances and although the service with AT&T is not yet at the level Sprint or Verizon is at, they are continuing to add towers and build out there network (at least here in VA) and at this point I don't have any real gripes about my service so far, beside the trade off is, I get to have an iPhone:cool1:

Before the iPhone I had a Treo 650. It was nice but they all look like they were designed with the feature set in mind and not the functionality of it, the human experience. Bottom line is my iPhone is much more fun and friendly to use than any other PDA/smartphone I have ever had, and it had a full HTML browser, does your Treo;)

And best of all next month Apple will be releasing the SDK (software Development Kit) to third party software developers and at that point all iPhone users will have many legit third party apps to choose from without having to jailbreak the iPhone.

Sorry for the rant! I'm not in Apples back pocket, just a recently converted fan:thumbsup2

and it had a full HTML browser, does your Treo;)

Yes it does. :thumbsup2

And it has a SD slot to make the storage unlimited.

8gb on the iphone with no expansion and no removable battery. Sounds like you will have to buy a new one when the battery dies.

Just personal preference but what is needed in business vs non-business are 2 different things. It just bugs me that Apple claims to be first in stuff when it has been around for years on other devices.

I've been known to DIS on my Treo, as well! Nothing like catching up on a few posts while waiting to pick up DS at preschool :thumbsup2

As far as getting an iPhone and not using it as a phone? Probably, BUT, you may want to take a look at the iPod Touch if your thinking of that. It looks just like an iPhone, has all the same stuff as far as calendar, contacts etc., and even has built in wifi. I've been thinking of picking one up myself to replace my aging 60GB full size video unit.

:love: I just got an iPod Touch and I LOVE it! It has everything the iPhone does but a phone and a camera. I got mine on sale at Costco for $286....not a huge discount, but just about enough to cover the tax.

:love: I just got an iPod Touch and I LOVE it! It has everything the iPhone does but a phone and a camera. I got mine on sale at Costco for $286....not a huge discount, but just about enough to cover the tax.

So the iTouch is a phone too? I thought it was just a fancy iPod...man do I need to brush up on my technology!

So you have me more interested in the Ipod Touch.. My Ipod now is fine but maybe this is a new toy to look into down the road. one question though, since its not a phone how do you get the WiFi service? Usually that is part of your cell service and nothing I have read has spoken about the access. Are there fee's?

Thanks

WiFi is completely seperate from cell phone service. So you can buy the iTouch and as long as you are within range of a 'Hotspot' or wireless router you can surf the boards all day long.

I don't know what Treo others have but mine had 'Blazer' for an internet browser, which in my opinion isn't nearly as good as Safari.

SD card slots are nice but when is the last time you prices an 8 gig SD card. Buy one of those and a new Treo/smartphone and all of the sudden the iPhone doesn't look so expensive!

As long as we are all happy with the devices we use, that's what matters most. I'm not starting an iPhone camp on the Disboards or anything. But WWWD?:goodvibes

I had Sprint myself before getting the iPhone in late November. I never had a problem with them for the 4 years I was with them. I had also heard stories about how bad AT&T is. Needless to say, I took my chances and although the service with AT&T is not yet at the level Sprint or Verizon is at, they are continuing to add towers and build out there network (at least here in VA) and at this point I don't have any real gripes about my service so far, beside the trade off is, I get to have an iPhone:cool1:

Before the iPhone I had a Treo 650. It was nice but they all look like they were designed with the feature set in mind and not the functionality of it, the human experience. Bottom line is my iPhone is much more fun and friendly to use than any other PDA/smartphone I have ever had, and it had a full HTML browser, does your Treo;)

And best of all next month Apple will be releasing the SDK (software Development Kit) to third party software developers and at that point all iPhone users will have many legit third party apps to choose from without having to jailbreak the iPhone.

Sorry for the rant! I'm not in Apples back pocket, just a recently converted fan:thumbsup2

LOL, no problem on the rant....I'm an Apple addict. House full of Macs, iPods and a lot of other gear. The one thing eluding me is the iPhone, for the reasons I stated. I might wait it out another year and see what happens regarding AT&T. It's very tempting to move regardless of my past experience. The other issue is I have like 9 months left on my current contract with Sprint, and even that aside, they have been a GREAT provider over the past years.

I hear you 'rotlex' I had 6 months left on my Sprint contract when the iPhone came out in June. I tried to forget about it but when late Oct early Nov rolled around, I was very excited! Apple will be releasing a new firmware update soon as well (v1.13) this will ad some really cool features. The hardware maybe set in stone, but the software is just getting better all of the time:thumbsup2

The iTouch can definitely surf the Disboards because it has a built in WiFi card. Just make sure your are connected to a 'hotspot' or home wireless router and your good to go!

The difference between an Iphone and Itouch is that you surf the web from anywhere with an Iphone. Granted, it's much slower than being in a WiFi spot, but it can be done.

With an Itouch, you have to be in a WiFi spot from what I understand.

I'm not here to slam anybody's choices....to each his/her own...but I have had Treo with Windows and now have an Iphone.

I much prefer the Iphone over the Treo. Maybe it's just a personal thing but I seem to understand the Iphone more that I ever did the Treo. The Iphone seems to be laid out the way I think. I dont know if this makes sense but the Ipone seems to be more logical to me. Things are where I think they should be and it does things the way I think it should.

I also have an 80 gig Ipod (which I love) and it has approx 1600 songs, 800 photos and 4 full length feature films and that uses about 2 gigs. The Iphone's 8 gigs is bigger than I thought. It wasnt until I got the Iphone that I realized exactly how little space I was using on my Ipod..

The other thing I like is that I know have to carry one thing. I have a camera, a phone and my Ipod in one device.

Again....I am not saying this is better than that. I'm just telling you why I like it better.

Kevin

The difference between an Iphone and Itouch is that you surf the web from anywhere with an Iphone. Granted, it's much slower than being in a WiFi spot, but it can be done.

With an Itouch, you have to be in a WiFi spot from what I understand.

I'm not here to slam anybody's choices....to each his/her own...but I have had Treo with Windows and now have an Iphone.

I much prefer the Iphone over the Treo. Maybe it's just a personal thing but I seem to understand the Iphone more that I ever did the Treo. The Iphone seems to be laid out the way I think. I dont know if this makes sense but the Ipone seems to be more logical to me. Things are where I think they should be and it does things the way I think it should.

I also have an 80 gig Ipod (which I love) and it has approx 1600 songs, 800 photos and 4 full length feature films and that uses about 2 gigs. The Iphone's 8 gigs is bigger than I thought. It wasnt until I got the Iphone that I realized exactly how little space I was using on my Ipod..

The other thing I like is that I know have to carry one thing. I have a camera, a phone and my Ipod in one device.

Again....I am not saying this is better than that. I'm just telling you why I like it better.

Kevin

Definitely good points! You're right... I don't want to have to be in a Wifi Hotspot to surf as I would probably do much of my surfing on my train commute.

My contract on my current cell phone runs out in September and I can't upgrade til then, at least if I understand the contract right. So, I guess I'll have to wait til then for an iPhone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter