Disboutiquers Part 7 Kids Disney Boutique / Customs Clothes psst..we sew

I'm takaing the plunge here...
I've been lurking since around page 121 of the last thread. I am a beginner level at sewing. I've done alot of quilts, but those are all just straight lines, so clothes are a different story! Right now I am sticking to patterns without buttons or zippers.
So, the outfit I'm working on is my first journey into the world of double fold bias tape. I tried using it last night, but hit a snag, literally! Do I need to sew the entire garment by hand, or is there a trick? Becasue every time I try to run it through the machine, it gets pushed down into the bobbin-hole part of the sewing machine.
Also, I found a pattern that looks SOOOO much like a Cinderella dress, but at the start of the movie. has anyone ever made a peasant princess dress, and how did that go over at the parks?
Thanks!

Welcome! We want pictures! Are you talking about Cinderella's brown "working dress"? I have one of those in the works right now. It may end up being Lily's Halloween costume at Disneyland. I know a few others have made one, but since photobucket got wiped out, I don't think we have any pictures around anymore. I'd love to see them though if anyone does!

Welcome! We want pictures! Are you talking about Cinderella's brown "working dress"? I have one of those in the works right now. It may end up being Lily's Halloween costume at Disneyland. I know a few others have made one, but since photobucket got wiped out, I don't think we have any pictures around anymore. I'd love to see them though if anyone does!

yeah, the pattern looks just like the brown dress, even comes with rag on the head. I figured it would be too cute to make 2 for my DDs for when we go to CRT, but wondered if Cinderella would "get it"

yeah, the pattern looks just like the brown dress, even comes with rag on the head. I figured it would be too cute to make 2 for my DDs for when we go to CRT, but wondered if Cinderella would "get it"

I'm sure Cinderella will "get it" but some CMs may not. Most probably will though, especially at CRT. Lily will wear hers in October to Disneyland where probably fewer people will "get it" than at Disneyland since customs are not very common at DL. :sad2:

I have the same problem Karen! I know almost no one's name! I think we need to make a list of everyone's name (if you are comfortable giving it anyway).

I'll start. I'm Benita

I'm Cathy...but you knew that already from my siggy, huh :laughing:

Because of recent abductions

in daylight hours, refresh yourself

of these things to do

in an emergency situation...
Thank you Linette....these are very good tips... I would have fallen for the crying baby thing possibly. Although in my case, it probably would really be a crying baby :laughing: Its amazing how many people open their front door when someone knocks. I was watching a show my DH dvr'd about car reposession. These guys would knock on the door in a neighborhood in Newark NJ at 2 am and the people would come to the door and open it :eek: Only one guy called the police on the episode I watched. So that is another tip. Don't open your door unless you know who is on the other side!

Linnette- Thanks for the info. Some of those things I hadn't thought of before. Some of them I had heard before, but thanks for bringing them back to my attention.

I hestiated to share this but, I thought I would, partly to explain what's going on with me this week, and maybe to warn any parents out there! I was on Myspace (not a place I go to often, but a friend sent me a message) and happened to check out my 16 year old neices' page. I was SHOCKED to say the least!!! She had VERY suggestive pictures of herself up with some really crude comments from older guys. The whole site was just an attempt to get male attention. And, Heather told me that the title of her site meant something bad, and when I looked it up on one of those slang dictionaries, it really was horrible! I called her Dad (hubby's brother), and he looked at it and was upset. I thought they were going to have her delete her page, but as of today, it was still there. I'm worried sick about my neice and what she might be getting herself into!

Teresa, I know it is very upsetting to see this but that is what practically all the kids do on that site. The foul language and things that get said are just terrible to see. On the bright side, your neice is most likely just doing it to fit in (camoflauge type deal) and is not like that at all. I found my son's myspace page. It's terrible about the things that get said etc. Its like being in a locker room I would imagine. I tried not to get upset about it, though it's not the way I raised him when he lived with me. Hugs for you for your care and concern and it was good you let her dad know! :hug:

As an aside, my three girls aren't allowed on the internet except specific sites and my DD10 has no interest in that or an email account or even a cell phone....I am thinking that will change but I hope not anytime soon! :sad2:

As an aside, my three girls aren't allowed on the internet except specific sites and my DD10 has no interest in that or an email account or even a cell phone....I am thinking that will change but I hope not anytime soon! :sad2:

My DD is the same way..she is very much aware that there are bad people on the computer and they could do things to hurt them. The funny part is, any time a registration box comes up on the computer, they all scream for me and just sit there staring at the screen like the boggie man is right there! I guess some fear is good, right?

And thanks Linnette for the warnings. Some I had not thought of! Once when my DH was working out of town, someone starting banging on my front door. We had two front doors to our house, one was NEVER used, it was right outside my bedroom, that's the one they were banging on at midnight. I was so scared, we lived at the end of the street and my neighbors were out of town. I called 911 and they came quickly. They didn't catch the person, I explaned to them my DH was out of town. They told me to turn all of our outside lights on and leave them on while he was gone and they put my house on extra drive by for the rest of the week.

A few nights later, they caught someone banging on a door the next street over, she was drugged out and she went to jail for lots of stuff other than that. What a relief, but I hated being in that spot right that moment. I couldn't figure out how to get to the kids all at once. They were all in seperate rooms. But the long of it is...DON"T OPEN YOUR DOORS WITHOUT KNOWING FOR SURE WHO IS THERE!

Long time "window shopper" here with a question. For those of you who have made the pink cinderella dress (I know Heather made a beautiful one), did you use a pattern? If so, was it difficult? I have been sewing for about 9 months now, but I am completely self taught and unfortunately do not know how to read a pattern. I have only made things using CarlaC's patterns.

We are having dinner at 1900 Park Fare in September, and I would love for my daughter to wear this dress. I am just not sure if I am up to the challenge!

Any input would be great. By the way, your creations are all fabulous!!!

Michelle

Are we still doing pics of the day? Here is a funny one! My DH painstakenly extracted the 3-D glasses out of the TV Guide and assembled them for the girls to watch the Best of Both Worlds Concert on tv tonight....He kinda resembles the icon :3dglasses :3dglasses :3dglasses :rotfl:

IMGP6336.jpg

IMGP6337.jpg

And my DD3 finally learned how to peddle her bike. :moped: I started teaching her in Dec...and its July 26th :rolleyes1 Here she is practicing! :cheer2:

IMGP6308.jpg

IMGP6313.jpg

And my other DD!

IMGP6312.jpg

IMGP6314.jpg

And to keep on topic, I made a dress for my friend's DD who is going to Disney in August! I just love this fabric! I bought a Princess make-a-book and put a page on the front! It was Carla C's A-line pattern which was great until I had to "hand sew" :eek: the last little part! Just kidding...it was easy!

IMGP6318.jpg

And the back:

IMGP6319.jpg

My DD10 is at her dad's this weekend and I miss her :hug: OK I am off to sew some more!!! Have a great night...I will be catching up on trp reports later so post those updates ladies!!! :thumbsup2 ;)

I saw this this cute fabric and would really like to find the fabric to make a dress for my 16 month old DD. Can anyone help point me in the right direction? Thanks
2705012936_4f91c16768.jpg

Long time "window shopper" here with a question. For those of you who have made the pink cinderella dress (I know Heather made a beautiful one), did you use a pattern? If so, was it difficult? I have been sewing for about 9 months now, but I am completely self taught and unfortunately do not know how to read a pattern. I have only made things using CarlaC's patterns.

We are having dinner at 1900 Park Fare in September, and I would love for my daughter to wear this dress. I am just not sure if I am up to the challenge!

Any input would be great. By the way, your creations are all fabulous!!!

Michelle

Hi!!! And welcome I have done one mouse made dress from a butterwick pattern I din't love. I think Heather said that she used simplicity 9902 for hers and used the bodice for the belle dress and made up the skirt herself. I am going to try this next. The other pattern was just too big for my DD. She wears a size 4 and I typically have to maqke a 3 in a commercial pattern, take it up some in width, and lengthen it. The pink dress was one of the first patterns I did and I didn't really have the adjusting down. The pattern I am using is discontinued, but you may be able to find it online!

Hi! I am making pirate mickey heads and bought Sulky light weight tear away stablizer. It said you could put it over the applique since it is sort of see-thru. Then it said stitch and then pull away the rest when you are done. Well, it didn't pull away perfectly and now I have all this white stablizer mixed in with the black thread!! See pic below:

IMGP6339.jpg

Does anyone know how to solve this problem? If I put the stablizer on the back and the applique on the front, how do I hold the stablizer down while I am stitching? Do I just cut a large piece and pin it??? Any assistance with this would be greatly appreciated!!! :goodvibes

Thanks! :thumbsup2

Hi! I am making pirate mickey heads and bought Sulky light weight tear away stablizer. It said you could put it over the applique since it is sort of see-thru. Then it said stitch and then pull away the rest when you are done. Well, it didn't pull away perfectly and now I have all this white stablizer mixed in with the black thread!! See pic below:

IMGP6339.jpg

Does anyone know how to solve this problem? If I put the stablizer on the back and the applique on the front, how do I hold the stablizer down while I am stitching? Do I just cut a large piece and pin it??? Any assistance with this would be greatly appreciated!!! :goodvibes

What is the whole name of the stabilizer? That may help. I've not heard of a see through stabilizer that isn't water soluable. If it IS water soluable, it will wash away - just spritz water on it. If it isn't, I would imagine that it will wash away when you through it in the wash.

For applique on tshirts, the only way I do it is the way Lisa taught me. Fuse applique to front of shirt. Iron on Sulky iron on tear away stabilizer (on back of shirt). Stitch. Tear away stabilizer from back. I've never put stabilizer on the top of the applique.

Howdy Ho..fellow Disers..I made this for my coworker's cousin's new baby...or something like that. The baby's name is Macenzie, and is just over 6pounds..This is my first quilt ever and a little bit of a challenge but I got through it.
IrelandandLexieChristmas20072918.jpg

IrelandandLexieChristmas20072919.jpg

IMGP6339.jpg

I would not put the stabilizer on the front of the applique. I have never heard of this. I have done mickey heads on tees and I put heat n bond lite on the applique fabric and bond it to the shirt with that. I put the stabilizer on the back of the shirt to stablize the knit. I use sulky iron on tear away, and I really have to iron it down good to get it to stick. I go over it multiple times with the iron untill is sticks well. If it is not iron on you will have to pin it vjust make sure the dont overlap the applique. In both cases cut a piece a little bigger than your applique. Hope this helps. I am by no means an applique expert, but I have gotten good results forom this.

Hey guys!!! I know I haven't been around.. I spent yesterday at the hospital w/ my DH's cousin. Angie was a friend of mine in middle school too. She has been having complications throughout her pregnancy.

SHe has had 3 miscarriages in the last few years. This pregnancy was viable only to find out that the baby was not getting enough oxygen from the placenta. They also told her in the ultrasounds that the legs and arms were not delevoping proportionatly to her body. Angie had a brother (who sadly passed a year ago at the age of 21) w/ severe CP. She found out during this pregnancy that she may have a 1/2 brother she never knew about who has Downs. The doctors thought the baby may have downs, CP or Spina bifida

a month ago an Amnio showed that the baby had NO chromosomal disorders but from the ultrasounds the doctors told her the baby would probably be profoundly disabled. Due to the lack of oxygen the baby was getting they were just waiting until the baby was big enough to deliver.

This weeks they decided they couldn't wait any longer and gave Angie steroids to help develope the baby's heart and lungs. She was born via c-section yesterday @8:15 am at 1lb 3 oz. and 11" long they said that even though Angie (who is 4'11") was 30 weeks pregnant the baby was the size of 24 weeks gestation.
Her name is Danica Mia. We know that she still has a battle ahead of her but everyone was amazed that her limbs were normal and completely proportionate. by noon yesterday they had taken her off of oxygen. She is still on a ventilator to help her tiny lungs but is breathing "room air". Today she was weighed and has gained an oz. already.

I know you girls have a great prayer chain and was hoping you might find time to send up an extra on for this miraculous little one. We won't really be able to know the extent of neurological damage for a while so the relief has only been minimal. A lot of people here would appreciate it!

Thanks a bunch, I'll catch up w/ ya'll on monday!

...t.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter