Disboutiquers Part 7 Kids Disney Boutique / Customs Clothes psst..we sew

Thanks Revrob and Princessmom!!! There is nothing on the label about it being iron-on. Darn. I even tried ironing it on after I read your advice and it didn't stick. OK I will have to pin it to the back I guess. Darn...I spent $10 on this and its like 11 yards of the wrong stablizer :sad2: :rotfl:

Tifani, so sorry about your friend and her baby. It looks like she is doing well. We will keep her and her family in our prayers.

Hi! I am making pirate mickey heads and bought Sulky light weight tear away stablizer. It said you could put it over the applique since it is sort of see-thru. Then it said stitch and then pull away the rest when you are done. Well, it didn't pull away perfectly and now I have all this white stablizer mixed in with the black thread!! See pic below:

th_IMGP6339.jpg

Does anyone know how to solve this problem? If I put the stablizer on the back and the applique on the front, how do I hold the stablizer down while I am stitching? Do I just cut a large piece and pin it??? Any assistance with this would be greatly appreciated!!! :goodvibes

Thanks! :thumbsup2

I cut it large and pin it to the back in the 4 corners while I sew.

Howdy Ho..fellow Disers..I made this for my coworker's cousin's new baby...or something like that. The baby's name is Macenzie, and is just over 6pounds..This is my first quilt ever and a little bit of a challenge but I got through it.
th_IrelandandLexieChristmas20072918.jpg

th_IrelandandLexieChristmas20072919.jpg

Wow that is just absolutely gorgeous...how did you know how to make it? Did you have a pattern? I was looking over some quilt books when I was in Lancaster at a quilt shop. Its on my list of things to do! The lettering is perfect! :thumbsup2

Hey guys!!! I know I haven't been around.. I spent yesterday at the hospital w/ my DH's cousin. Angie was a friend of mine in middle school too. She has been having complications throughout her pregnancy.

SHe has had 3 miscarriages in the last few years. This pregnancy was viable only to find out that the baby was not getting enough oxygen from the placenta. They also told her in the ultrasounds that the legs and arms were not delevoping proportionatly to her body. Angie had a brother (who sadly passed a year ago at the age of 21) w/ severe CP. She found out during this pregnancy that she may have a 1/2 brother she never knew about who has Downs. The doctors thought the baby may have downs, CP or Spina bifida

a month ago an Amnio showed that the baby had NO chromosomal disorders but from the ultrasounds the doctors told her the baby would probably be profoundly disabled. Due to the lack of oxygen the baby was getting they were just waiting until the baby was big enough to deliver.

This weeks they decided they couldn't wait any longer and gave Angie steroids to help develope the baby's heart and lungs. She was born via c-section yesterday @8:15 am at 1lb 3 oz. and 11" long they said that even though Angie (who is 4'11") was 30 weeks pregnant the baby was the size of 24 weeks gestation.
Her name is Danica Mia. We know that she still has a battle ahead of her but everyone was amazed that her limbs were normal and completely proportionate. by noon yesterday they had taken her off of oxygen. She is still on a ventilator to help her tiny lungs but is breathing "room air". Today she was weighed and has gained an oz. already.

I know you girls have a great prayer chain and was hoping you might find time to send up an extra on for this miraculous little one. We won't really be able to know the extent of neurological damage for a while so the relief has only been minimal. A lot of people here would appreciate it!

Thanks a bunch, I'll catch up w/ ya'll on monday!

...t.

Thanks T....I will be praying for this little one and her family....I hope there is no brain damage and the doctors were wrong just like they were about her having short limbs! :angel:

I know you girls have a great prayer chain and was hoping you might find time to send up an extra on for this miraculous little one. We won't really be able to know the extent of neurological damage for a while so the relief has only been minimal. A lot of people here would appreciate it!

...t.

You, your friend/cousin, and little Danica are in my prayers :hug:

Long time "window shopper" here with a question. For those of you who have made the pink cinderella dress (I know Heather made a beautiful one), did you use a pattern? If so, was it difficult? I have been sewing for about 9 months now, but I am completely self taught and unfortunately do not know how to read a pattern. I have only made things using CarlaC's patterns.

We are having dinner at 1900 Park Fare in September, and I would love for my daughter to wear this dress. I am just not sure if I am up to the challenge!

Any input would be great. By the way, your creations are all fabulous!!!

Michelle
I made this one for my daughter.
S2010146.jpg

I used CarlaC's Simply Sweet dress pattern. I just added the bows and the trim.

Are we still doing pics of the day? Here is a funny one! My DH painstakenly extracted the 3-D glasses out of the TV Guide and assembled them for the girls to watch the Best of Both Worlds Concert on tv tonight....He kinda resembles the icon :3dglasses :3dglasses :3dglasses :rotfl:

IMGP6337.jpg

IMGP6318.jpg

And the back:

IMGP6319.jpg

My DD10 is at her dad's this weekend and I miss her :hug: OK I am off to sew some more!!! Have a great night...I will be catching up on trp reports later so post those updates ladies!!! :thumbsup2 ;)
Jenna saw the pic of your DH and she said, "He looks so cool! Is he gonna watch Hannah Montana too?" :lmao: She also said that the dress that you made is beautiful and she would like one also.

Howdy Ho..fellow Disers..I made this for my coworker's cousin's new baby...or something like that. The baby's name is Macenzie, and is just over 6pounds..This is my first quilt ever and a little bit of a challenge but I got through it.

Wow this is gorgeous - I love it.
My aunty who is a fabulous quilter is going to teach me how to quilt. I'm so looking forward to it.

I finished a BIG GIVE shirt this morning. This is for Brody, BigDisGrandma's grandson.

He likes Pluto, Texas Longhorns, and the Dallas Cowboys. So, I drew them all together and appliqued it onto a shirt!

This applique was just about as fun to do as baby Simba. :rolleyes: But, it'll be worth it if he likes it!

DSC00254_640x480.jpg

DSC00255_450x600.jpg

Don't tell him I let a GIRL model it!

DSC00257_360x480.jpg

I finished a BIG GIVE shirt this morning. This is for Brody, BigDisGrandma's grandson.

He likes Pluto, Texas Longhorns, and the Dallas Cowboys. So, I drew them all together and appliqued it onto a shirt!

This applique was just about as fun to do as baby Simba. :rolleyes: But, it'll be worth it if he likes it!

DSC00254_640x480.jpg

:worship: :worship: :worship:

Thanks Revrob and Princessmom!!! There is nothing on the label about it being iron-on. Darn. I even tried ironing it on after I read your advice and it didn't stick. OK I will have to pin it to the back I guess. Darn...I spent $10 on this and its like 11 yards of the wrong stablizer :sad2: :rotfl:

Is the stabilizer you used Sulky Solvy by any chance? I've used that and it does wash away. I don't use it often but when I do, I dampen one side and stick it in place then leave it to dry. I've tried pinning it in place but I usually end up sticking myself. :headache: The main drawback IMO is the garment has to be washed, or at least rinsed well, to get all the stabilizer dissolved.

I mostly use Sulky Totally Stable iron-on/tear away and put it behind the base fabric. It tears away pretty easily when satin stitch is used. I remove as much as possible but it does leave small white "fuzzies" hanging from the stitching. Those eventually seem to wash away but I'd never use it over the appliqué mostly because it's not very transparent. Zoe has complained about those "fuzzies" being itchy so I started adding a fusible knit interfacing to cover the stitched area. No matter what I do, that stuff comes loose after laundering. I can usually re-iron it several times and it will hold for a couple more washings. By the time it won't stick anymore the "fuzzies" are gone or have softened enough that Zoe doesn't complain.

OK, I know some of you use a rolled hem foot. I have one - but no matter how hard I try I don't get it, end up frusterated and doing hems with measuring, turning, pinning, and sewing. The rolled-under part keeps stopping rolling under and I end up with the raw edge out.

Can someone give me some words of wisdom? Tutorial somewhere?

Thanks! Deb

I made this one for my daughter.
th_S2010146.jpg

I used CarlaC's Simply Sweet dress pattern. I just added the bows and the trim.

Jenna saw the pic of your DH and she said, "He looks so cool! Is he gonna watch Hannah Montana too?" :lmao: She also said that the dress that you made is beautiful and she would like one also.

You did that w/ Carla C's SS pattern??? :thumbsup2 Great job!!! I'll have to remember that;)

You are so talented my dear!! It's fabulous I know he will :love: it!!

And BTW. My husband has been looking at this OLD 3 story house in our area for almost a year (since last fall maybe:confused: ) and we can totally not buy a new house. I am just about to pay off the mortgage on this one. :sad2: BUT we went by yet again w/ his mom today and then AGAIN w/ his dad. B/C when we took his mom by the guy across the street was all "hey are ya thinkin' of buying the house?" and we said ummmm.... and he said there was usually a door open :laughing: to get in. So of course we broke in..:laughing: The owners got divorced and he kicked her out and she trashed the place. He just wants out of the mortgage- $174.900 5 bedrooms 4 bath 1.4 acres. Problem is the house was built in 1889. There is a significant amount of wood damage and we suspect maybe some foundation issues. part of the house was an addition and it is a bit obvious but it's in the back so as far as curb appeal, noone knows. The 2nd floor was an apartment w/ it's own stairway in the back and a small kitchen. DH is trying to convince his parents to sell their house and we can take the money from both houses and all move in here. They can live upstairs, they would have a bedroom/ full bath/ small kitchen and nook. There is also a room which was probably the master bed that we would turn into MIL and my design studio...IT IS HUGE!!!! My FIL however is bringing our dillusions down and being all MR. REALISTIC. He's pretty sure we could never afford the reno. even if we all moved in. I'm still dreaming though. B and his mom are looking at the digital pics we took today. They must be dreaming still too:cloud9:

The universe will not allow me to have this house. I know this.
...t.

Hey guys!!! I know I haven't been around.. I spent yesterday at the hospital w/ my DH's cousin. Angie was a friend of mine in middle school too. She has been having complications throughout her pregnancy.

SHe has had 3 miscarriages in the last few years. This pregnancy was viable only to find out that the baby was not getting enough oxygen from the placenta. They also told her in the ultrasounds that the legs and arms were not delevoping proportionatly to her body. Angie had a brother (who sadly passed a year ago at the age of 21) w/ severe CP. She found out during this pregnancy that she may have a 1/2 brother she never knew about who has Downs. The doctors thought the baby may have downs, CP or Spina bifida

a month ago an Amnio showed that the baby had NO chromosomal disorders but from the ultrasounds the doctors told her the baby would probably be profoundly disabled. Due to the lack of oxygen the baby was getting they were just waiting until the baby was big enough to deliver.

This weeks they decided they couldn't wait any longer and gave Angie steroids to help develope the baby's heart and lungs. She was born via c-section yesterday @8:15 am at 1lb 3 oz. and 11" long they said that even though Angie (who is 4'11") was 30 weeks pregnant the baby was the size of 24 weeks gestation.
Her name is Danica Mia. We know that she still has a battle ahead of her but everyone was amazed that her limbs were normal and completely proportionate. by noon yesterday they had taken her off of oxygen. She is still on a ventilator to help her tiny lungs but is breathing "room air". Today she was weighed and has gained an oz. already.

...t.

Prayers said for baby Danica and family! These are the kinds of babies I take care of, so if you have any questions or anything, let me know and I'll try to help. The fact that she's on "room air" oxygen is awesome! It just means she needs the pressure from the vent to help her breathe, but not supplemental oxygen. Also, the fact that she's a girl is in her favor, too! Girls typically do better - we are, after all, the stronger gender - even from birth! Anyway, lots of positive thoughts for you all and let me know if you need anything!

th_DSC00254_640x480.jpg

th_DSC00255_450x600.jpg

th_DSC00257_360x480.jpg

OK, that is just way too cool! I'm thinking he's gonna LOVE it - what's not to love? 3 of his favorite things all rolled into one - it's awesome!

Here are my outfits for the day. I used a pattern for this one. It was touch and go at times on the shirt but it turned out ok. I am going to add a ruffle to the shirt though.
th_IMG_1248.jpg

This one turned out ok but I would make it longer next time and do the straps different
th_IMG_1234.jpg

I love all the pictures of Europe! I am so jealous. Canada is the only country I have been in outside the US :( Someday...
Very cute! Love the Pooh outfit!

I'm takaing the plunge here...
I've been lurking since around page 121 of the last thread. I am a beginner level at sewing. I've done alot of quilts, but those are all just straight lines, so clothes are a different story! Right now I am sticking to patterns without buttons or zippers.
So, the outfit I'm working on is my first journey into the world of double fold bias tape. I tried using it last night, but hit a snag, literally! Do I need to sew the entire garment by hand, or is there a trick? Becasue every time I try to run it through the machine, it gets pushed down into the bobbin-hole part of the sewing machine.
Also, I found a pattern that looks SOOOO much like a Cinderella dress, but at the start of the movie. has anyone ever made a peasant princess dress, and how did that go over at the parks?
Thanks!
Sorry no advice but wanted to welcome you!

Long time "window shopper" here with a question. For those of you who have made the pink cinderella dress (I know Heather made a beautiful one), did you use a pattern? If so, was it difficult? I have been sewing for about 9 months now, but I am completely self taught and unfortunately do not know how to read a pattern. I have only made things using CarlaC's patterns.

We are having dinner at 1900 Park Fare in September, and I would love for my daughter to wear this dress. I am just not sure if I am up to the challenge!

Any input would be great. By the way, your creations are all fabulous!!!

Michelle
Welcome!

I started typing this reply this afternoon, and then we went away! So, some of these answers may no longer be relevant!!!! I did have a nice evening with my family though!

Since I'm relatively new here...I have to ask. WHO'S BRENT??? I'm assuming that he's a guy that works on DCL???
That's Elisa (CastleCreation)'s fiance!!! ;)

I will have to get Jacob to e-mail Arminda for the latest installment of Foxie's adventures. I hope the two cats are getting along.

Arminda loves getting email from Jacob!

I never would have thought Teresa's niece would have a myspace page like that. Teresa is one of her friends on there, so I don't know what she was thinking!

I have to find me some of that peanut butter! We've had a pretty yucky summer here in Michigan, too. Lots of cloudy days and it just hasn't been very nice. Sorry about the in-laws. I'll be thinking of you! :hug:
Yeah, I was shocked by her site too!

I think I bought the peanut butter at Walmart.

quick question I am making the portrait peasant top from ycmt and dd wants a ribbon on it so it will tie in the back like HeartherSues peter pan top.What stitch do I use to attach it?
I would just sew it into the side seams, or do you want it to go around the front too?

I'm so disappointed! I pulled my Double Wide hoop out this morning and started to assemble the whole contraption, only to realize that one of the pieces that the sent is wrong! :confused3 :confused3

I was all ready to use this thing today. Now I'm gonna have to wait for the company to send me the right piece. BOO HOO!
Oh no!!! How disapointing!
Wow, that is crazy! How lucky to get him back! I'm very happy for you. I know that must have been stressful to not know what happened to him.
Yes, it was!
I,,,,,,,, SPONGEMOMMIE05 PROMISE TO PUT OFF ALL MY HOUSEWORK, KIDS AND HUBBY TO CATCH UP ON TRIP REPORTS AND COMMENT. SUNDAY JULY
27TH 2008;)
You are funny Misty!!!!!

I'm takaing the plunge here...
I've been lurking since around page 121 of the last thread. I am a beginner level at sewing. I've done alot of quilts, but those are all just straight lines, so clothes are a different story! Right now I am sticking to patterns without buttons or zippers.
So, the outfit I'm working on is my first journey into the world of double fold bias tape. I tried using it last night, but hit a snag, literally! Do I need to sew the entire garment by hand, or is there a trick? Becasue every time I try to run it through the machine, it gets pushed down into the bobbin-hole part of the sewing machine.
Also, I found a pattern that looks SOOOO much like a Cinderella dress, but at the start of the movie. has anyone ever made a peasant princess dress, and how did that go over at the parks?
Thanks!

Sallyin(or from??)Deleware made one for her daughter, and Tnmom25(Deann) made one for hers too. I know that Deann got stopped by a guest and asked her to make her one, so I think they were a hit!

I'm sure Cinderella will "get it" but some CMs may not. Most probably will though, especially at CRT. Lily will wear hers in October to Disneyland where probably fewer people will "get it" than at Disneyland since customs are not very common at DL. :sad2:
What??? they dont' have customs at Disneyland???

Its amazing how many people open their front door when someone knocks. I was watching a show my DH dvr'd about car reposession. These guys would knock on the door in a neighborhood in Newark NJ at 2 am and the people would come to the door and open it :eek: Only one guy called the police on the episode I watched. So that is another tip. Don't open your door unless you know who is on the other side! [/COLOR][/SIZE]

Brian's sister was spending the night with us about two years ago. She was sleeping on the couch in our living room. In the morning she told me that someone had stopped at our front door at 2AM and asked to use the phone, so SHE LET THEM INSIDE OF OUR HOUSE!!!! I was furious!!!! So was Brian! Come to think of it, I don't think she's spent the night since then!

Teresa, I know it is very upsetting to see this but that is what practically all the kids do on that site. The foul language and things that get said are just terrible to see. On the bright side, your neice is most likely just doing it to fit in (camoflauge type deal) and is not like that at all. I found my son's myspace page. It's terrible about the things that get said etc. Its like being in a locker room I would imagine. I tried not to get upset about it, though it's not the way I raised him when he lived with me. Hugs for you for your care and concern and it was good you let her dad know! :hug:

As an aside, my three girls aren't allowed on the internet except specific sites and my DD10 has no interest in that or an email account or even a cell phone....I am thinking that will change but I hope not anytime soon! :sad2:
I don't know, I think I see something that really needs to be addressed here, even if "all the other kids are doing it". It still needs to be taken more seriously by her parents.

th_DSC00254_640x480.jpg

th_DSC00255_450x600.jpg

th_DSC00257_360x480.jpg

Tessa looks so cute in that! DH loves the Dallas Cowboys! (but no, I didn't name Dallas that because of it, I was only considering city names for some reason and Houston and Austin were way too popular).

Is the stabilizer you used Sulky Solvy by any chance? I've used that and it does wash away. I don't use it often but when I do, I dampen one side and stick it in place then leave it to dry. I've tried pinning it in place but I usually end up sticking myself. :headache: The main drawback IMO is the garment has to be washed, or at least rinsed well, to get all the stabilizer dissolved.

I mostly use Sulky Totally Stable iron-on/tear away and put it behind the base fabric. It tears away pretty easily when satin stitch is used. I remove as much as possible but it does leave small white "fuzzies" hanging from the stitching. Those eventually seem to wash away but I'd never use it over the appliqué mostly because it's not very transparent. Zoe has complained about those "fuzzies" being itchy so I started adding a fusible knit interfacing to cover the stitched area. No matter what I do, that stuff comes loose after laundering. I can usually re-iron it several times and it will hold for a couple more washings. By the time it won't stick anymore the "fuzzies" are gone or have softened enough that Zoe doesn't complain.

I thought I was losing my mind because every time I iron on the interfacing and wash it comes off. Well, it was only 1 time, but enough to annoy me!

Castle - Love the quilt and the Brent collage!

T - I'll be praying for the baby, what a miracle child so far!

th_IMGP6337.jpg

And to keep on topic, I made a dress for my friend's DD who is going to Disney in August! I just love this fabric! I bought a Princess make-a-book and put a page on the front! It was Carla C's A-line pattern which was great until I had to "hand sew" :eek: the last little part! Just kidding...it was easy!

th_IMGP6318.jpg
Your DH is very cute!:laughing:

Love the dress. You all may have noticed that I do like the Aline!;)

th_IrelandandLexieChristmas20072918.jpg

WOW!!!! That is beautiful!

...t.
Lots of prayers for baby Danica.:wizard:

th_DSC00254_640x480.jpg

th_DSC00255_450x600.jpg

th_DSC00257_360x480.jpg
WOW!!!! He is going to flip over that!!!!!

I've threaded and rethreaded my new serger 3 times. All 3 times it worked when I tried it. Then, the first time, the thread kept breaking. I put it away the other night frustrated. I took it out again tonight and practically danced when I rethreaded it and it worked. I took a second piece of fabric and now the thread just keeps bunching up and it doesn't feed the fabric through. I took all the thread out a third time and it still bunches up. Any ideas? I'm ready now to cry and take it back to the store and forget I ever wanted one in the first place:confused: :scared:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter