Disclosing cause of death on social media.

My thoughts are along this line as well. When you are at the point of posting about a death on Facebook, no need to act all outraged when people respond / discuss / ask questions on Facebook.

I think you could frame it as people ask to be nosy, but you could also frame it as people ask because they CARE.

Speaking from personal experience - when people are asking because they care - the questions are generally "how are you holding up", "what do you need", "how can I help" - when people are asking to satisfy their own curiosity (which no grieving family is obligated to cater to IMHO), that's when they ask "OMG what happened"

People are nosy. People are curious. The woman who wanted to know and asked and asked and asked maybe perceived herself to be more important to the deceased than she was and maybe thought she should be in the know. You never know what someones perception is. Personally I think if you post it on social media for everyone to read you should disclose the reason. If its too sensitive then maybe you should not post it. People are curious, they are nosy and i tend to think it is like vaugebooking to leave it unanswered. My 2 cents.

Speaking from personal experience - when people are asking because they care - the questions are generally "how are you holding up", "what do you need", "how can I help" - when people are asking to satisfy their own curiosity (which no grieving family is obligated to cater to IMHO), that's when they ask "OMG what happened"

In my experience that wasn't the case at all. Those same people asking if I'm OK or if I need something are the same people also asking what happened if they didn't already know.

ETA it seems that the OP is speaking about someone who posted to co-workers FB not to an actual family member who announced their loved one's death.
So, in that circumstance it doesn't seem uncaring to ask those folks what happened.
Maybe she did contact the family to express condolences and ask about their well being.

If they were close to you and cared about you, yes all the how are you holding up questions might be first on their minds. But if they primarily knew and cared about the deceased, maybe what happened to them is foremost on their mind. Hey, people aren't perfect.

Ive seen people post on things like Facebook so people can know the funeral arrangements and/or just pay their respects. Also, I would imagine so they don’t say or ask awkward things. I don’t see why that obligates them to share details about the death. I think it’s up to the family what should be shared since they’re the most affected and most likely to understand the full situation and how it affects those left behind. If they want to tell you, fine. If they don’t...take the hint and cut them some slack.

If they were close to you and cared about you, yes all the how are you holding up questions might be first on their minds. But if they primarily knew and cared about the deceased, maybe what happened to them is foremost on their mind. Hey, people aren't perfect.

When my mom died, her coworkers reached out to us asking what we needed, offering to help via meals/cleaning the house/etc, before they ever asked what happened. These were people who interacted with her on a daily basis, but never really had direct contact with us. They sent cards, came to the calling hours, asked after my dad, us kids and my son. Conversations about the details of her death came up with some who asked later on, but was never the first thing out of their mouths. Those who were only interested in the details and never really reached out to us any other way were absolutely just looking to satisfy their own curiosity or needs to know. No, people aren't perfect - and i never held it against anyone who was more interested in the details of her death than the aftermath we were dealing with....but I also didn't indulge their curiosity as though it was owed to them because someone posted it on FB.

This is another “As seen on Facebook” thread that I thought might make for interesting discussion here.

I have seen it happen a few times where someone will post an In Memoriam type of post about a deceased friend and other people, hearing for the first time that their mutual friend has died, will ask what happened. I’ve also, as a complete outsider, read online conversations people have had about how inappropriate they believe it is to ask about one’s cause of death online.

I watched this play out again last week as a former coworker of mine died. (Just for the record, she was not someone I ever knew well and it’s been so long since I worked with her that I barely even recognized her in the photos being posted, so I was not personally involved in any of this.) Other former coworkers of mine, some who had very close relationships with the deceased, took to Facebook to express their grief, shock, condolences, etc. And, of course, other people startedI will to ask what happened. (The deceased was only in her thirties and her death was seemingly completely unexpected by those who knew her.) One woman in particular, who had also worked with the deceased coworker at some point, seemed very upset about the news. She posted multiple times on multiple people’s threads asking what happened, becoming increasingly more distressed sounding the longer she didn’t get an answer. And ignored she was. Not a single person “in the know” would tell her what happened to cause the sudden death of this woman, even after returning to their posts to thank people for their condolences, etc. The only direct response I saw given to her question of what happened was when one person responded with “X passed away last night.” Well, no kidding. :rolleyes:

I think wanting to know the cause of death is a normal human response upon hearing this kind of news. Perhaps it brings a sense of closure or understanding, and I think it was kind of cruel for everyone to withhold that information from her. I have a hard time imagining they would shut her down like that face-to-face. On the other hand, I understand family members wanting to privately grieve and not all details are fit for public consumption. But then I think, maybe you wouldn’t be publicly announcing someone’s death on social media if you were all that concerned for the family’s privacy in the first place.

What do you guys think? Is it appropriate to disclose the cause of death in a public, or semi-public, setting? Does the way in which one died affect that?
I will admit that I am always curious how someone died, especially if they died young or seemed perfectly healthy.

That said, I would NEVER, EVER ask, especially on social media. If the family wanted to share, they would have. Your coworker was extremely in the wrong for continuing to hound people, especially after it was pretty clear the family did not want to share.

So, to answer your question, no, I do not think it is appropriate to disclose the cause of death in a public or semi-public setting unless the family is comfortable doing so. It really is no one else's business. Making a public announcement of death on social media is no different than old school newspaper announcements. The family wants to let friends and others know their loved one passed away. Of what they died from is nobody's business except the family's.

The absolute WORST is when the person committed suicide, and Nosey Parkers have the nerve to ask "by what method?". Those are details that no one really needs to know; details that those closest often wish that they themselves did not know. That's just morbid curiousity in every case, and people need to rein in that kind of curiousity.

My personal preference is to give an edited COD in the announcement, one that is vague enough to cloak the details, but clear enough to give an idea of whether or not it came as a shock to the family. Phrases such as "after a brief illness", "after a protracted illness", "suddenly", etc., should be enough for most acquaintances. If it's a particular disease or a crime situation, a charity named in the obit often provides what additional detail that the family feels up to to providing.

Last edited:
If they won’t tell you, I say you make up something horrible and publicly ask if that was the cause. You’ll probably get a response, an angry one, but a response.

OP here.

There was a post today where yet another former coworker asked a friend of the deceased what happened. The person queried replied that, according to social media posts made by the family, the cause of death was suicide. As I gleaned from their conversation, the family has been quite open about her cause of death, wants to break the stigma, is encouraging people to donate to mental health causes in her memory, etc. Apparently the family has been forthcoming about the circumstances and it’s the friends and coworkers who were keeping mum.

I don't know whether it's my age or just the people I am acquainted with, but when it is announced that someone around my age "died suddenly" I assume that they overdosed. The opioid crisis has hit hard in my area, there are so many people around me affected by it. When the cause of death is kept a secret for someone who was seemingly healthy, I feel like it's natural to assume the worst. I mean, I also agree that it's rude for anyone but family to publicly disclose the cause of death, so it's kind of ignorant to post something like that if you are not family, of course people are going to wonder and it just makes the deceased look bad because people like me assume something bad. Couldn't the person who wants to know just dm those "in the know"?

nnnnm
When my mom died, her coworkers reached out to us asking what we needed, offering to help via meals/cleaning the house/etc, before they ever asked what happened. These were people who interacted with her on a daily basis, but never really had direct contact with us. They sent cards, came to the calling hours, asked after my dad, us kids and my son. Conversations about the details of her death came up with some who asked later on, but was never the first thing out of their mouths. Those who were only interested in the details and never really reached out to us any other way were absolutely just looking to satisfy their own curiosity or needs to know. No, people aren't perfect - and i never held it against anyone who was more interested in the details of her death than the aftermath we were dealing with....but I also didn't indulge their curiosity as though it was owed to them because someone posted it on FB.
Let me put it another way. Many FB friends are in other states. We, personally, have moved a lot and lived in 3 states. Last move was 18 months ago. We saw on FB a memorandum for our 2 DDs' old travel softball coach that they had a few years back. He was about 48. My DH was an assistant coach with him. Even after DDs switched to another team/coach, we still were in the same circle with this guy as his DDs also played (and all played HS ball too). So we are quite startled and wanted to know what happened. Had seen him about 10 months prior and all seemed well. His eldest and our 2 were in college. He was also coaching his younger DD's HS team. It was like...what the heck. Luckily, we talked regularly to folks who'd know and we knew what happened pretty quickly through word of mouth (it was cancer). But we had moved so it's not as easy to know what's going on with folks. And we have friends all over. My sorority big sister lived several states away when she passed at 37 during childbirth. I didn't know for a few years, until a special memorandum page popped up on the FB feed. That was quite a shock. I could see on the page that she died in childbirth but when I first saw the memorandum it was like 'what, how, why...she was only 37 and had 2 little kids???". Her people, at the time she died, were different people than I knew when we were in college together. We both went to different states and married and had new friends. I had no way of knowing through word of mouth.

Last edited:
I don't know whether it's my age or just the people I am acquainted with, but when it is announced that someone around my age "died suddenly" I assume that they overdosed. The opioid crisis has hit hard in my area, there are so many people around me affected by it. When the cause of death is kept a secret for someone who was seemingly healthy, I feel like it's natural to assume the worst. I mean, I also agree that it's rude for anyone but family to publicly disclose the cause of death, so it's kind of ignorant to post something like that if you are not family, of course people are going to wonder and it just makes the deceased look bad because people like me assume something bad. Couldn't the person who wants to know just dm those "in the know"?
The most common cause of early death is by auto accident or heart attacks. Almost everyone has an automobile and, except for politicians, also have a heart, but, not all people are drug addicts. It happens with alarming regularity, but, it wouldn't be the first thought I would have.

I'm always curious as to the cause of death and if it doesn't list one I begin to wonder why it wasn't listed.

This is another “As seen on Facebook” thread that I thought might make for interesting discussion here.

I have seen it happen a few times where someone will post an In Memoriam type of post about a deceased friend and other people, hearing for the first time that their mutual friend has died, will ask what happened. I’ve also, as a complete outsider, read online conversations people have had about how inappropriate they believe it is to ask about one’s cause of death online.

I watched this play out again last week as a former coworker of mine died. (Just for the record, she was not someone I ever knew well and it’s been so long since I worked with her that I barely even recognized her in the photos being posted, so I was not personally involved in any of this.) Other former coworkers of mine, some who had very close relationships with the deceased, took to Facebook to express their grief, shock, condolences, etc. And, of course, other people started to ask what happened. (The deceased was only in her thirties and her death was seemingly completely unexpected by those who knew her.) One woman in particular, who had also worked with the deceased coworker at some point, seemed very upset about the news. She posted multiple times on multiple people’s threads asking what happened, becoming increasingly more distressed sounding the longer she didn’t get an answer. And ignored she was. Not a single person “in the know” would tell her what happened to cause the sudden death of this woman, even after returning to their posts to thank people for their condolences, etc. The only direct response I saw given to her question of what happened was when one person responded with “X passed away last night.” Well, no kidding. :rolleyes:

I think wanting to know the cause of death is a normal human response upon hearing this kind of news. Perhaps it brings a sense of closure or understanding, and I think it was kind of cruel for everyone to withhold that information from her. I have a hard time imagining they would shut her down like that face-to-face. On the other hand, I understand family members wanting to privately grieve and not all details are fit for public consumption. But then I think, maybe you wouldn’t be publicly announcing someone’s death on social media if you were all that concerned for the family’s privacy in the first place.

What do you guys think? Is it appropriate to disclose the cause of death in a public, or semi-public, setting? Does the way in which one died affect that?

I'm going to respond before reading the rest of the thread, but I agree with you. I've noticed if it's a long illness, an unknown health issue, or an accident though, they will say so. Being intentionally evasive means drugs or suicide. If you don't want people to assume that, don't be intentionally evasive.

Weird but this literally just happened. My dads uncle passed suddenly. I called my dad to find out what happened. I posted my thoughts on fb.

Maybe it's a generational thing, but I don't think posting on Facebook is any different than publishing an obit in the paper or making a general announcement at church that someone has passed.

It's completely normal to wonder what happened, but it's absolutely not ok to ask directly in a public forum, especially if one's connection to the deceased was only peripheral. If they wanted you to know they would have told you.

Maybe we're not talking about the same thing, but when I announced on Facebook that my mother had passed away it was because I wanted my extended circle to know that my mother had passed away. It was in no way an invitation for people to ask about the gory details and I would have been pretty disgusted if they had.

I see vaguebooking as something completely different and I totally agree with you on that one!

I totally agree.

To answer the question, I think if it's on social media, people think it's because the family wants to share or talk about it, and don't feel it's an invasion of privacy to ask. JMO.

I had something happen that somewhat goes along this vein of social media death notices.

A friend's daughter was involved in a very bad car accident while on a trip with her BFF and BFF's dad. The front of their car was crushed and he was pinned in the car - the two girls were in the backseat and thankfully had minimal non-life threatening injuries. The dad was cut out of the car with the jaws of life and airlifted to a trauma center, where he died the next day of internal injuries.

I first heard about the crash from a very vague post on FB by friend (she had texted me, but I hadn't seen it yet, but she also tagged and thanked a bunch of people, myself included, for being there to take care of things while she flew down to her DD) but didn't know many details, so I did google searches with the info I did have, to find out more about the accident. I ended up finding the FB page of one of the 3 people in the OTHER vehicle, and learned that the dad had died. From the stranger's post!

Another incident happened recently where the family of a 18 year old posted all over social media how devastated they were about their son/brother. People were shocked, of course, that a healthy, strong young man died suddenly, so they wanted to know what happened. The family was very offended and didn't want to talk about it on FB (3am, left a party, had been drinking and was high, crashed into a tree) because the facts surrounding the death were brutally not in a good light of the young man. IMO, this was hard because I wouldn't want to talk about the reasons and wouldn't post it myself, but ultimately it was taken out of the families hands anyway because it was already all over Snapchat and Instagram by his friends. And there was a huge story in the paper.

So, IMO, once taken to social media, there really isn't any privacy anymore. If you post something, you might as well just tell the whole story and save needing to repeat it over and over. If you don't like the thought of that, don't put it out there! You can only control yourself and your responses to something, not everyone else's, so getting offended or mad over someone asking about something that you put out there is slightly unreasonable. One always has the option of private messaging a group of people (extended family, for instance) if they want to keep things semi-private and not seen/commented on by the masses. There are more options of communication than splashing everything all over social media...perhaps the people who are offended are forgetting this?

Last edited:
Social media being used to announce a death is no different from an obituary in a paper, and is not an invitation to ask probing nosy questions. In fact, many announcements I've seen on FB also include a link to the official obituary. It's just a way to notify people.

Sure, I'm curious like everyone else out there, but I don't think it's polite to ask "How did he/she die?" to the grieving friends and families, regardless of if I hear of the death via social media, email, obituary, or any other way.

Similar to when you find out someone is having twins or triplets (which, pregnancies are also frequently announced on social media) ... you don't ask "oooh, did you use fertility drugs or was it just chance?" It's just tacky and rude. And no, posting a pregnancy announcement on social media is not an invitation for people to ask how the baby or babies were conceived, just like posting about a death is not an invitation for people to request all the details.

The most common cause of early death is by auto accident or heart attacks. Almost everyone has an automobile and, except for politicians, also have a heart, but, not all people are drug addicts. It happens with alarming regularity, but, it wouldn't be the first thought I would have.
Like i said, the problem could be because of the people I am acquanted with. But I've known far more people who "died suddenly" due to drug overdose than people who have died in car accidents :( At this point, when I read that in an obituary I just assume OD. My ex-husband was a recovering drug addict, so I am acquanted with many, many drug addicts in all stages of recovery.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter